HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rest Henrik on Saturday?

Old
04-05-2007, 08:50 PM
Forechecker

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
Rest Henrik on Saturday?

So, the big question to me is, if YOU'RE the coach, do you sit Henrik on Saturday to rest him?

JMHO, but I rest him. Dress Weekes & Valiquette and split time with both of them to get them some game time action. The Birds will be jousting for #1 in the division anyway, and I'm not really sure it matters who we play in the first round. Thoughts?

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 08:52 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Absolutely not.

This next game is a must win as well as far as I'm concerned. Especially if Tampa loses their next game.

Now we're in the playoffs and now we want 6th.

The Penguins CANNOT win the division so this game is a meaningless game for them. We must come in and just burn their house down.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 08:53 PM
danman1202

We need that sixth seed.

danman1202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 08:53 PM
Nich

i say we get another win, it will build our confidence into the playoffs, and hank will get a rest anyway before series start. so i say go for it

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 08:55 PM
steviek3b

I think most importantly is that the Rangers fight for 6th. It is much better to play Atlanta (or Tampa) in the first round than to play the Devils.

Also, the Devils locked up first in the division (2nd in conference). The best Pittsburgh could do is 4th. They are fighting Ottawa, one will finish 4th and the other 5th. So Pittsburgh will want to get home-ice, but we should also want to get 6th.

steviek3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 08:58 PM
RangersAM99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rx View Post
Absolutely not.

This next game is a must win as well as far as I'm concerned. Especially if Tampa loses their next game.

Now we're in the playoffs and now we want 6th.

The Penguins CANNOT win the division so this game is a meaningless game for them. We must come in and just burn their house down.
I totally agree, wee need to win this game and it would make the Penguins feel like dudu losing there last home game of the season

RangersAM99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 08:58 PM
ThirdEye

I'm just afraid that if we lose decisively Lundqvist might lose his confidence again going into the playoffs. I know it's just one game, but you never know. I'd still start him though, he's been very good vs. the Pens this year

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 09:01 PM
TheZherdev

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
I'm just afraid that if we lose decisively Lundqvist might lose his confidence again going into the playoffs. I know it's just one game, but you never know. I'd still start him though, he's been very good vs. the Pens this year
Confidence wasnt really the issue last spring. He has constant headaches and couldn't get any sleep. He also had limited vision according to him. It was mostly a health issue.

TheZherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 09:05 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

To me it's Lundqvist call....

I don't think confidence is an issue right now for him. If Lundqvist thinks he needs the extra rest he should take the night off..

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 09:06 PM
Theoren Fan

Send a message via AIM to Theoren Fan
No way. Hank closes out the season. I want Atlanta/Tampa

Theoren Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 09:08 PM
Sather Hater

The Rangers don't win the tiebreaker against Tampa or Atlanta do they?

Tampa plays Atlanta the last game of the season for each team (saturday night), this could be one crazy finish to the season. That might work out well for the Rangers since only one of those teams can get two points.

Sather Hater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 09:08 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackburn2727 View Post
Confidence wasnt really the issue last spring. He has constant headaches and couldn't get any sleep. He also had limited vision according to him. It was mostly a health issue.
You're right. It's just that he played a bit shaky after Montreal sent him packing a week or two ago. Just hope that doesn't happen again

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 09:10 PM
gravy121

Comfy though with Steve V?

I agree that we must do what we can to get the 6th (thus playing Henke)
However, just to play devil's advocate, it would be quite important to the team as well to see if Kevin Weekes is 'game ready' and perhaps if he is medically cleared, it may behoove the Rangers to give Kevin the start before the playoffs.

gravy121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 09:11 PM
LeftCoastRangersFan

Sorry, but no rest when you're THE KING!!!

LeftCoastRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 09:34 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sather Hater View Post
The Rangers don't win the tiebreaker against Tampa or Atlanta do they?

Tampa plays Atlanta the last game of the season for each team (saturday night), this could be one crazy finish to the season. That might work out well for the Rangers since only one of those teams can get two points.
I haven't looked it up, but in another thread someone posted that if we win on Saturday we automatically get the 6th seed. Something to do with Tampa jumping over Atlanta if they win out, and us getting the tie breaker over Atlanta for the 6th spot.

Edit: Just looked it up. It's true...we win on Saturday and the 6th seed is ours and we play either Atlanta or Tampa Bay in the first round.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 09:49 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forechecker View Post
So, the big question to me is, if YOU'RE the coach, do you sit Henrik on Saturday to rest him?

JMHO, but I rest him. Dress Weekes & Valiquette and split time with both of them to get them some game time action. The Birds will be jousting for #1 in the division anyway, and I'm not really sure it matters who we play in the first round. Thoughts?
Renny was real quick to say. Great we're in now we have to get that 6 spot.

Henrik plays.

There is plenty rest time after Saturday.

Play Atlanta or Tampa in the 1st round

or

Play New Joisey / Pittsburgh

Hey anything can happen and we have to beat the best to be the best.....but I'd rather play the Atlanta if at all possible.

Atlanta....a one line team thats never been in playoffs vs Brodueur and the Debbies

Tampa ....a one line team with questionable goaltending vs The Pens w. Crosby/ Malikn/Staal and a streaky MAF

Henrik Plays on Saturday and he plays to WIN

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 09:59 PM
clmetsfan

3 days is all the rest that Henrik needs. Sitting him on Saturday would give him nearly a week between games, and maybe build up some rust.

I'd be much more concerned about that than I would about him being tired just because he played one more game.

Besides, I don't see the dogs in the Iditarod asking for some time off. And Henke is way more badass than them. Although they might have peed on the IceGirls

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 10:01 PM
geisenNYR

Thats not an option, we need Henrik to be in goal for two reasons:

1) We need to beat Pitt and get the sixth seed so we play Atlanta instead of the Devils and Brodeur.

2) Henirk needs momentum heading into the playoffs. Part of the reason we were horrible in the playoffs last year was that we had no momentum heading into the playoffs last year. This year we are playing our best hockey, are one of the hottest teams in the league, and we need to keep our momentum.

geisenNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 10:06 PM
ThisYearsModel

If 6th place is still in question, then Henke plays. If not, he sits.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 10:09 PM
vladmyir111

vCash: 50
There's no point to resting him now considering he'll get 2 or 3 days off before the playoffs start.

Other then that did anyone notice how in the zone he was tonight? You gota be paying attention to this kind of thing, but it's very rare to see a goaltender push out 4,5, or 6 tough shots in a row all in the perfect place away from the goal (let alone all game long).

One could say it was a lucky game. Though considering he's been the best goalie in the league since the majority of the second half, the more likely scenario is that he's only getting better.

vladmyir111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 10:10 PM
Czech Your Math

vCash: 50
Ranger 6th Seed Scenarios:

If Rangers win, then they are 6th

If Rangers lose in OT, then they need either
a) Atlanta to lose twice
OR
b) TB lose once in regulation or twice in OT

If Rangers lose in regulation, then they need either Atlanta or TB to lose twice (and at least once in regulation).

Just win that last game Rangers!!!!!!

Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 10:11 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Rodent's got the lowdown - http://hockeyrodent.com/rodent.htm1

It's pretty simple, the Rangers win, they own 6th place. The loser of TB-ATL falls to 7th, IF TB beats FLA.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 10:12 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladmyir111 View Post
There's no point to resting him now considering he'll get 2 or 3 days off before the playoffs start.

Other then that did anyone notice how in the zone he was tonight? You gota be paying attention to this kind of thing, but it's very rare to see a goaltender push out 4,5, or 6 tough shots in a row all in the perfect place away from the goal (let alone all game long).

One could say it was a lucky game. Though considering he's been the best goalie in the league since the majority of the second half, the more likely scenario is that he's only getting better.
Oh absolutely. It's a testament to how good Souray is from the point that he scored (on a 5-on-3). He's getting better and better with his legs now to go with his excellent positioning and reflexes. He could easily win the Con Smythe this year or the Vezina next...

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 10:21 PM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 1140

I still think we need to rest Lundqvist.

I think that we can beat Pitt without Lundqvist...our D has been very solid lately and our offense is firing on all cylinders!

I would rather have a very rested Lundqvist than get 6th spot. I dont see how 6th is better than 7th? You think facing Atlanta is better than facing NJ? To be honest, I'd rather face NJ since I think we have plenty of motivation to take revenge on them for last season's playoffs. I think we match up VERY well against NJ at this point and we would beat them!

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 10:23 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeellllllllllllll No.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote