HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2014 Weather Thread.

Old
07-05-2014, 05:33 PM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Twitter is saying that the Large Tornado is north of Outlook Saskatchewan.

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2014, 05:33 PM
rboomercat90

vCash: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
Twitter and a video on the weather network showed a video of a large Tornado.
Okay. I'm watching the World Cup game and didn't want to turn away. I'll check as soon as it's over.

rboomercat90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2014, 05:38 PM
oilersfan11

The tornado-warned storm approaching Govan, SK has produced baseball-sized hail, according to spotters.

Yikes.

Good luck to everyone in central Saskatchewan,right now.

Old
07-05-2014, 05:41 PM
oilersfan11

https://twitter.com/adlcsask/status/...450048/photo/1

The Tornado.

Old
07-06-2014, 01:37 PM
Gord
Batfink!

love when we have these nice summer days followed by a late evening thunderstorm.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 12:10 PM
oilersfan11

10:36 AM MDT Wednesday 09 July 2014
Severe thunderstorm watch in effect for:
•City of Edmonton - St. Albert - Sherwood Park

Severe thunderstorm conditions possible - early afternoon to early evening.

Conditions are favourable for the development of severe thunderstorms that may be capable of producing strong wind gusts, large hail and heavy rain.

A cold front moving across Alberta today will generate scattered thunderstorms with the possibility of severe thunderstorms. The threat of severe weather will be over the Capital region this afternoon and then shift eastward towards the Saskatchewan border by early evening

Old
07-09-2014, 06:10 PM
oilersfan11

Significant storm developing south west of the City of Edmonton.

Wall cloud developing on storm West of Pigeon Lake, Alberta

https://twitter.com/hashtag/abstorm?f=realtime&src=hash

Old
07-09-2014, 06:13 PM
RipsADrive

Still just a watch here but to the south they've got a severe thunderstorm warning out now.

RipsADrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 06:13 PM
McOvechking

Birds are starting to respond to the pressure change. I think it's almost certainly going to hit us.

McOvechking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 06:28 PM
Replacement*
Checked out

vCash: 500
Hmm, so much for my idea of topping off a beautiful day with a bike ride after work. Although going in one particular direction would be easy enough..

Methinks we should reavaluate workdays in this climate. I say 10 beautiful daytime days /year allowed off work because it sucks when the daytime portion of a day is beautiful and its another shutter the windows storm in the evening. me for president, who's with me..

ps how much beer time on the deck before I get pelted with hail?

Replacement* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 06:34 PM
oilersfan11

Supercell thunderstorm south west of the City of Wetaskiwin,and a line of severe thunderstorms west of the Supercell.

As of right now,it's looking like the City of Edmonton is going to miss the worst of the storms.

Old
07-09-2014, 06:37 PM
syz
[1, 5, 6, 14]

vCash: 125
Got a jog in once the sun went away, but yea, everything mean looks like it's going south of the city.

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 06:56 PM
oilersfan11

https://twitter.com/ABfoothillsWX/st...489537/photo/1
https://twitter.com/hashtag/abstorm?src=hash

Pictures of the Storm south west of Edmonton.

Last edited by oilersfan11: 07-09-2014 at 07:04 PM.
Old
07-09-2014, 07:29 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

vCash: 99
Quote:
Significant storm developing south west of the City of Edmonton.

Wall cloud developing on storm West of Pigeon Lake, Alberta

https://twitter.com/hashtag/abstorm?f=realtime&src=hash
My only question is why the hell does that twitter feed want me to follow Justin Trudeau?

It's a conspiracy I tell you.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 08:14 PM
Oscar Acosta

vCash: 1083
I've lived in a few cities and I swear this one has either the worst meteorologists or the most sensational of them all.

Every time they put out a "Severe Thunderstorm Watch", you'll be lucky to see rain. Learn to read a ****ing radar, or whatever it is you do. They started flooding my timeline today with "early afternoon" to "early evening" to "later tonight"... I got maybe 6 drops of rain outside.

Or last year with the whole "GET DOWN NOW" tweet when nothing was happening.

God forbid anything ever does happen again in Edmonton like Black Friday because their daily wolf crying will kill people.

Oscar Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 08:18 PM
McOvechking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Acosta View Post
I've lived in a few cities and I swear this one has either the worst meteorologists or the most sensational of them all.

Every time they put out a "Severe Thunderstorm Watch", you'll be lucky to see rain. Learn to read a ****ing radar, or whatever it is you do. They started flooding my timeline today with "early afternoon" to "early evening" to "later tonight"... I got maybe 6 drops of rain outside.

God forbid anything ever does happen again in Edmonton like Black Friday because their daily wolf crying will kill people.
Funny I was just thinking about that tweet today.

Regardless, the weather here is so unpredictable. There has been a nonstop barrage of dangerous weather in the general area, it's pure luck/chance that none of these cells have passed over the city yet.

McOvechking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 08:41 PM
Replacement*
Checked out

Quote:

Stranger still the Black Friday event got scant advance notice. Maybe 1hour depending on where you live.
The Pine Lake event had virtually no advance notice.
The sheer wind event that ripped the stage apart at BVJ there was some notice but not effectively conveyed.

In todays world of instant communication online one would expect that even tweets and such from other locales make for better incoming information on whats potentially headed our way than these weather forecasts.

Old
07-09-2014, 09:05 PM
oilersfan11

Quote:

A Professor that I had from the University of Alberta once told me that the strength of the Supercell thunderstorm that hit Edmonton on July 31,1987 is the type of Storm that hits once every 100 years in Alberta.

Old
07-09-2014, 11:04 PM
Oscar Acosta

vCash: 1083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Stranger still the Black Friday event got scant advance notice. Maybe 1hour depending on where you live.
The Pine Lake event had virtually no advance notice.
The sheer wind event that ripped the stage apart at BVJ there was some notice but not effectively conveyed.

In todays world of instant communication online one would expect that even tweets and such from other locales make for better incoming information on whats potentially headed our way than these weather forecasts.
Well in 2000, there wasn't a widespread internet let alone everyone having a cell phone or immediate access to news. Let alone 1987.

What's happening now is local weather forecasters putting people on alert at 7 in the morning to have them check in on their phones, noon news, internet, early news etc. and nothing happens. Or like Josh Claussen last year just loving the constant attention on Twitter and Tweeting "GET DOWN NOW!"

Had people actually scrambling and worried for their loved ones in the west Edmonton region. And for what? A strong rain? Possibly the biggest **** head move I've seen from any media, ever - including FOX News sensationalism.

Days like today or yesterday or basically every day last week or next week they will forecast huge storms. None of it will happen but it keeps people asking. The only storm we all talked about last week was after he said "mild storms possible overnight".

Fact is, next time one of them predict a huge storm I won't care and have a beautiful day at the spray park. The day they say "GET DOWN NOW part V" people won't care and probably get nailed.

Oscar Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 11:27 PM
oilersfan11

Timeline of Edmonton Tornado of July 31,1987:

11:00 am

Predictions made about damaging winds heavy rain turn into warnings of ''vicious Thunderstorms'' and ''extremely strong and violent thunderstorms.''

1:40 pm

Severe Thunderstorm watch is reported for the Edmonton area.

3:04 pm

Tornado Warning issued for the City of Edmonton.

Edmonton got the warning as of 11:00 am.When Meteorologists are stressing the warnings of ''violent thunderstorms'' then it's a given to watch out for Tornadoes.

Old
07-10-2014, 12:39 AM
Replacement*
Checked out

Quote:
Timeline of Edmonton Tornado of July 31,1987:

11:00 am

Predictions made about damaging winds heavy rain turn into warnings of ''vicious Thunderstorms'' and ''extremely strong and violent thunderstorms.''

1:40 pm

Severe Thunderstorm watch is reported for the Edmonton area.

3:04 pm

Tornado Warning issued for the City of Edmonton.

Edmonton got the warning as of 11:00 am.When Meteorologists are stressing the warnings of ''violent thunderstorms'' then it's a given to watch out for Tornadoes.
I think its reasonable to suggest that the "tornado warning" that occurred only minutes before the TD in Millwoods (and was actually due to public reports from Leduc area phoning in about tornado sightings.) is much different than a thunderstorm and with peoples reactions and prep being much different than a tornado watch.

This was a warning system fail, as was highly noted at the time and that resulted in calls for several changes to forecasting and monitoring in this region.

Really the best calls of that whole tornadic event were due to diligent callers and radio stations repeating the reports. It was the public that sighted and reported the tornado. That's it.

In anycase its odd that the second warning, above, is far less descriptive, and less helpful than either of the other two.

maybe if the second warning was "GET DOWN NOW"

Old
07-10-2014, 12:59 AM
oilersfan11

Quote:
I think its reasonable to suggest that the "tornado warning" that occurred only minutes before the TD in Millwoods (and was actually due to public reports from Leduc area phoning in about tornado sightings.) is much different than a thunderstorm and with peoples reactions and prep being much different than a tornado watch.

This was a warning system fail, as was highly noted at the time and that resulted in calls for several changes to forecasting and monitoring in this region.

Really the best calls of that whole tornadic event were due to diligent callers and radio stations repeating the reports. It was the public that sighted and reported the tornado. That's it.

In anycase its odd that the second warning, above, is far less descriptive, and less helpful than either of the other two.

maybe if the second warning was "GET DOWN NOW"

I remember watching a Meteorologist explain what had happened during the day and that he said:

Storms during the Summer tend to develop off of the foothills and gradually move east.On July 31st,a line of Severe Thunderstorms had developed off of the foothills and moved east during the morning hours,and when these storms were approaching the Edmonton region, a violent Thunderstorm developed just a few kilometers south of Beaumont and then tracked north.

Edmonton really had the worst absolute luck that day, as storms for the majority of the time, develop off of the foothills, and that this storm ended up developing ''literally'' on the doorstep and it ended up being the worst of the absolute worst.

Old
07-10-2014, 01:32 AM
Replacement*
Checked out

Quote:
I remember watching a Meteorologist explain what had happened during the day and that he said:

Storms during the Summer tend to develop off of the foothills and gradually move east.On July 31st,a line of Severe Thunderstorms had developed off of the foothills and moved east during the morning hours,and when these storms were approaching the Edmonton region, a violent Thunderstorm developed just a few kilometers south of Beaumont and then tracked north.

Edmonton really had the worst absolute luck that day, as storms for the majority of the time, develop off of the foothills, and that this storm ended up developing ''literally'' on the doorstep and it ended up being the worst of the absolute worst.
In effect our version of a perfect storm to some extent. Still, the Tornado citing was in Leduc/Beaumont area and from the already known and observed sighting. That another system pushed it north one would think would be considered a possibility. Really for any storm to wander from Leduc/Beaumont to Edmonton is no great stretch.

If any event ever warranted 5 alarm bells..that was a monster.

Old
07-10-2014, 02:09 AM
oilersfan11

http://apsts.alberta.ca/video/watch/...cToEQ0ZE2uDZv8

Video involving Bill Matheson as he explains the actual setup that caused the ''Storm'' that day.

Very good reference.

Old
07-10-2014, 02:29 AM
oilersfan11

Quote:
In effect our version of a perfect storm to some extent. Still, the Tornado citing was in Leduc/Beaumont area and from the already known and observed sighting. That another system pushed it north one would think would be considered a possibility. Really for any storm to wander from Leduc/Beaumont to Edmonton is no great stretch.

If any event ever warranted 5 alarm bells..that was a monster.

There was a great mystery that day as well as it was stated that storms were moving from west to east direction and that the Tornadic Storm ,on its own, was going from at times south east to north west and then south to north and then north to east.I remember it being stated too that this baffled meteorologists.