HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Renney & Staff knew best & I knew

Old
04-06-2007, 06:24 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

vCash: 500
The Renney & Staff knew best & I knew

JACK Thread:

After Renney & Staff having gotten continually hammered on here I think some need to fess up. Once again last night this staff has shown the quality that many fail to recognize. The game plan was outstanding. Their teaching and patience with players of all levels, regardless of skill and age, has improved this team significantly. Marcel Hossa went from useless to contributor. Thomas Pock went from a liability to a solid defensemen before our eyes by playing games at the NHL level. Renney has stuck to his guns and failed to fall into the trap of trying to match lines when HE KNEW it was more important for his team to establish a flow to his team's game. He placed a greater importance on ALL OF HIS PLAYERS being able to PLAY IN ALL SITUATIONS against the oppositions top players. Here's to be a patient and here's to being a strong coach who knows more about the pulse of his team collectively and what makes his players tick without screaming and yelling and getting his name on the back pages. His to a coach and staff who knew that each year their team needs to establish its own identity no matter how successful the or unsuccessful the previous year's addition was! Here's to you Tom & Staff!

Next up our sucky scouting staff!

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 07:05 AM
johnny_rudeboy

Well said

No reason to change the man behind the bench for a long long time. 2/2 in making the playoffs. And that with a squad who isnt that great to begin with.

johnny_rudeboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 07:52 AM
DutchShamrock

Actually, I think Renney started implimenting the ideas that many here have been pushing for (not that he is reading our posts, just that he is doing it on his own.) He matched lines last night, getting Jagr away from Souray and Komisarik. He was able to use the line change to get Shanahan out with Jagr and Nylander which resulted in a goal. I think recently Renney has been using the last change to the team's benefit, which is something he stubbornly refused to do in the 1st half.

We called for Betts to be simply the 4th line center and he hasn't played better since the demotion. We want Prucha in the lineup and not on the 4th line... scores within the first 3 minutes. We want Nylander, Straka and Jagr separated, the team starts scoring.

Point is there are lots and lots of good things this guy is doing but the knock is that you can go back to October and November and find us clamouring for these very ideas to be used. He deserves full marks for Hossa and Isbister on the 1st line, not something any of us would do but it seems to work. Beyond that, I don't know how we can pat him on the back and say you were right, we were wrong. I'm not trying to rip Renney, he's turned the team around... but I'm not eating crow when he is finding success with our ideas.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 08:34 AM
Badko

Amazing how many "ideas" come from the sidelines.

Kinda like playing Wheel of Fortune from your living room recliner.

Badko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 08:52 AM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER View Post
JACK Thread:

After Renney & Staff having gotten continually hammered on here I think some need to fess up. Once again last night this staff has shown the quality that many fail to recognize. The game plan was outstanding. Their teaching and patience with players of all levels, regardless of skill and age, has improved this team significantly. Marcel Hossa went from useless to contributor. Thomas Pock went from a liability to a solid defensemen before our eyes by playing games at the NHL level. Renney has stuck to his guns and failed to fall into the trap of trying to match lines when HE KNEW it was more important for his team to establish a flow to his team's game. He placed a greater importance on ALL OF HIS PLAYERS being able to PLAY IN ALL SITUATIONS against the oppositions top players. Here's to be a patient and here's to being a strong coach who knows more about the pulse of his team collectively and what makes his players tick without screaming and yelling and getting his name on the back pages. His to a coach and staff who knew that each year their team needs to establish its own identity no matter how successful the or unsuccessful the previous year's addition was! Here's to you Tom & Staff!

Next up our sucky scouting staff!
Fans seem to think that its thier birthright to complain. And it is. But the half-cocked blame Renney for everything nonsense that some of us had to deal with all season was unfair. Kudos to Glen Sather, and his entire coaching staff. Time for the naysayers to man up and give credit where credit is due.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 09:39 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
Beyond that, I don't know how we can pat him on the back and say you were right, we were wrong. I'm not trying to rip Renney, he's turned the team around... but I'm not eating crow when he is finding success with our ideas.
I agree. It's easy to turn blemishes into beauty marks the day after your team clinches their 2nd straight playoff berth. But let's not forget that the same coach was behind the bench less than two months ago when this team was out of a playoff spot. We can blame some of it on the lineup, but I think some of the blame should go to the coaching. I'll be the first to tip my hat to Renney and his staff. But I don't think anyone should be force fed crow meat. Renney is what he's always been: An average coach who's more of a teacher than a strategist. However, when this team is truly ready to be a contender, I'm not sure Renney is the guy I want behind the bench.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 09:39 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I would like to go on record as saying I never wanted Renney fired, never thought he should be fired and never thought he would be fired.

The guy is the best coach this team has had in a very long time.

04-06-2007, 09:52 AM
NYRMatt

I have never called for firing Renney.

But still, keep this coach for quite a while!

NYRMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 10:01 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
I agree. It's easy to turn blemishes into beauty marks the day after your team clinches their 2nd straight playoff berth. But let's not forget that the same coach was behind the bench less than two months ago when this team was out of a playoff spot. We can blame some of it on the lineup, but I think some of the blame should go to the coaching. I'll be the first to tip my hat to Renney and his staff. But I don't think anyone should be force fed crow meat. Renney is what he's always been: An average coach who's more of a teacher than a strategist. However, when this team is truly ready to be a contender, I'm not sure Renney is the guy I want behind the bench.
I won't dispute that point. What I will say is that, Renney and his coaching staff should get credit for refocusing this team defensively from Christmas on, and when the team could have fallen apart after the injuries and brutal losses to the Flyers, Pens, Debbies and Blue Jackets, kept their collectives head above water. This team also went a remarkable 8-1-1 to earn a playoff spot. I also don't think it's a coincidence that once the roster puzzle was solved - adding Avery, which allowed for the move of Cullen to 3rd line center, and Betts where he belongs on the 4th line, plus the substitution of a better all around D-man in Mara for Ward, and the promotion of Girardi and later, Callahan, the team played its best hockey. The incomplete roster was clearly a factor in the 1st 50 games.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 10:02 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I would like to go on record as saying I never wanted Renney fired, never thought he should be fired and never thought he would be fired.

The guy is the best coach this team has had in a very long time.

The best coach we've had since Keenan.

Old
04-06-2007, 10:10 AM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
I dunno, I think Muckler could have had this type of success as well

clmetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 10:12 AM
Speedtrials

Obviously Lundqvist has a great deal to do with the fact that we are in the Playoffs, but Renney has done an excellent job down the stretch as well. While before the turnaround I was frustrated with basically the whole orginization, Renney found a way to get this team into the Playoffs. And not only from 7 points back, but also with a ton of injuries. So as long as there is not a repeat of last year's playoff perfromance, I think Renney will definintly be back.

Speedtrials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 10:17 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
I guess. I'm not, was not, a big Keenan fan. I credit Mess with really keeping the ship together in the playoffs. And I think the Rangers won to spite Keenan. This team seems to reflect their coach and seems to play for him.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 10:21 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
I guess. I'm not, was not, a big Keenan fan. I credit Mess with really keeping the ship together in the playoffs. And I think the Rangers won to spite Keenan. This team seems to reflect their coach and seems to play for him.
Keenan was always a short term answer to me. But, for the most part, I thought he created an environment of winning and accountability. I also think he was important in making better players of Leetch and Richter, since he demanded a lot from them.

Old
04-06-2007, 10:32 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Keenan was always a short term answer to me. But, for the most part, I thought he created an environment of winning and accountability. I also think he was important in making better players of Leetch and Richter, since he demanded a lot from them.
I think they needed Mess there to "counter-act" Keenan. Keenan demanded a lot from them but he did it in a nasty way. Mess "repositioned" Keenan's nastyness into a positive challenging of them.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 11:15 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
I think they needed Mess there to "counter-act" Keenan. Keenan demanded a lot from them but he did it in a nasty way. Mess "repositioned" Keenan's nastyness into a positive challenging of them.

I don't disagree...which is why the whole Keenan/Smith/Messier alignment had a limited shelf-life.

Old
04-06-2007, 11:24 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
I won't dispute that point. What I will say is that, Renney and his coaching staff should get credit for refocusing this team defensively from Christmas on, and when the team could have fallen apart after the injuries and brutal losses to the Flyers, Pens, Debbies and Blue Jackets, kept their collectives head above water. This team also went a remarkable 8-1-1 to earn a playoff spot. I also don't think it's a coincidence that once the roster puzzle was solved - adding Avery, which allowed for the move of Cullen to 3rd line center, and Betts where he belongs on the 4th line, plus the substitution of a better all around D-man in Mara for Ward, and the promotion of Girardi and later, Callahan, the team played its best hockey. The incomplete roster was clearly a factor in the 1st 50 games.
Agreed.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 01:21 PM
Staggarelli
@erikthedirector

Send a message via AIM to Staggarelli
I remember the Devils Rangers Game where Weeks was in net and we got **** on 6-1 i think the final was, I was 2 rows from the bench and the entire thrid period i was yelling at them, saying things like you guys look like you enjoy losing, you make it look fun, its your job to motivate these guys renney, why cant you do your ****ing job!!! Apparently I was even on TV at the end of the game, cause I was still standing up giving it to them as they were getting off the ice...

I say this because while I have been very critical of the team and how they played this year (just look at my signature) I always felt that they would pull through and that Renney was the person to do it.... All it took was a few trades and some hard work....

Staggarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 02:00 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 910
Awards:
Renney has done a much better job lately. It's good that we didn't fire him, as I suggested. He's done a fantastic job of player development, and has held the team together through some tough times. Bravo.

It still pisses me off how he handles Prucha and Pock. And without Lundqvist's amazing play in the second half we're on the outside of the playoffs looking in right now.

As someone above said, when we're ready to truly contend Renney might not be the man for the job. But in terms of motivating players and developing their game, he's excellent. Still too many things that I see as tactical errors, and too many odd line-up moves that don't pay off (he's done some nice things with the lineup, though I think most of them were apparently necessary to members of this board weeks before Tom Terrific moved on them).

My continuous criticisms and nitpicking aside, Tom has done a good job and I'm glad to have him here. I'll eat crow and say that I'm glad no one listened to me, and that we didn't fire him.

EDIT: But I'm not changing my avvy. I put sooo much hard work into it, I can't get rid of it.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 02:10 PM
Fletch

As a result of injuries...

Renney became a better coach. He played some of the guys, or at least changed the lineup around, to be more in-line with what many in here wanted to see (as Mugerya pointed out, Betts on a fourth line, Prucha on the top PP, Callahan or some youth in the lineup, new blood on defense). It has helped that Lundqvist stood on his head since Jan 1 and that Jagr came alive, but some of the good changes we've seen were the results of injuries to some regulars (Toots, Rachunek, Shanny and Straka) and the Rangers began to win games and play a different style of hockey. He adjusted well, I will give him that, but as we've said so many times, there was no reason why some adjustments could not have been made earlier.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 02:32 PM
Pizza

Some of the best advice I've ever been given about life was to just look at the record and ask yourself what you see.

Results matter, the rest is just talk and speculation.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 02:56 PM
Pruch025

Well said. I get so tired of hearing people complain like those "fans" at MSG that just find any reason to boo, or show up just to do the "potvin sucks" chants 100 times. I don't consider them fans. Add people who are ready to jump off the ship all year.

I almost can't stand going to that many games anymore because the constant negativity I see gets on my nerves.

Renney should be given a contract extension and raise.

Pruch025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 05:22 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
He's really impressed me down the stretch. His handling of Prucha still pisses me off somewhat, but he's really seemed to implement his game into the team. It took a while and such, but he's done it.

Hence why my choking Renney thing is gone as well.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 05:29 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rx View Post
He's really impressed me down the stretch. His handling of Prucha still pisses me off somewhat, but he's really seemed to implement his game into the team. It took a while and such, but he's done it.

Hence why my choking Renney thing is gone as well.
Agreed.

I guess Renney finally got out of his slump

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 05:54 PM
LeetchIsGod2

Send a message via AIM to LeetchIsGod2
Quote:
i got two words for you : Ron Low