HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Would you rather play San Jose or Dallas?

Closed Thread

Old
04-03-2007, 01:36 PM
vopatsrash

vCash: 500
While I think San Jose has a great team and would be a very tough matchup, in terms of stylistic matchup and being much more entertaining to watch, I'd much rather see the Preds play San Jose.

As a matter of fact, this might be crazy talk, but there is part of me that would rather see Nashville play San Jose as a 5 seed than Dallas as a 4 seed. The Preds are 2-9-1 against Dallas in the playoff era. They are 7-3-2 in the regular season against SJ in the playoff era and better built to face a San Jose in a playoff series than they were a season ago.*

*Disclaimer: any talk of playoff matchups means assuming Nashville becomes more mentally playoff ready than they seem to be on 4/3/07, at which time discussions of matchups with any of the other 7 playoff teams feels moot...

Old
04-03-2007, 02:22 PM
braindead

Give me Dallas. They struggle to score at even strength, which we don't when healthy. They have a goalie that has been suspect in the past and has a short temper (we have a few players that can exploit that). They have been on a role of late and are confident that they can take the Preds. I like the underdog role, home ice, and a reasonably healthy group. As St Louis showed, if you score first you force them to open up.

Our games this year:
1-0 loss in Dallas (goal in the 3rd)
4-1 loss in Dallas (tied 1-1 late until consecutive 5 on 3's broke it open)
3-2 win at home (depleted lineup still wins)
The debacle final game-- out of it at the start, in the middle and at the end (if we play like this, we would perhaps not lose a series to the Yotes or Kings but that's it).

Throw out the final game and we were in each game. I think our depth is better for a 7 game series and I think we can grind out goals against them. I think we are the better team.

Old
04-03-2007, 03:38 PM
DocMcKay

I think either match up will produce some great hockey moments for Music City.

A nasty rivalry could be blossoming between Nashville and Dallas. This is what the NHL needs to get back on track with the fans. A furious series between teams that are really starting to dislike each other. When the management starts to weigh in and sling mud along with the media, you knows things are nasty. Sure it could be ugly/boring 1-0 or 2-1 hockey. But the potential for an entertaining series is definitely there.

I think San Jose is a better match up for us. We're probably looking for a little pay back anyway after last year's playoff butt kicking that we took from them. Also I think that San Jose isn't nearly as hot as they were last year going into the playoffs. This would be a higher scoring series than if we played Dallas, and could be equally if not more entertaining.

Frankly, I don't care who we play. I say Bring em on!!!!

If we want to win The Cup, it shouldn't matter who we play. Screw the injuries! Screw the negativity! I'm tired of hearing of preds fans and the media saying it's over before the playoffs have even started.
I'm gonna be every home game screaming my head off and acting the fool. If anybody wants to share a beer before, after, and during the games; give me a holla.

Old
04-04-2007, 10:14 AM
PlaywithGutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade View Post
Congratulations to Gnashville, first Preds poster I've put on my ignore list!

you put him on ignore for that..... lame...

Old
04-04-2007, 11:48 AM
PredDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaywithGutz View Post
You have obviously not read many of Gnashville's other posts...

I think San Jose would be a more enjoyable re-match / match-up than Dallas in round 1.

Old
04-04-2007, 08:27 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaywithGutz View Post

You've not been around here very long.

Old
04-04-2007, 08:49 PM
Hazeltherabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
Explain to me again why we traded for Peter Sorefoot????
Ummm... 12 or 13 points in what? 15-16 games. I will take that all day.

Old
04-04-2007, 09:56 PM
canadianpredsfan97

I'd have to go with San Jose myself. More enjoyable series, better chance of winning and a chance for revenge from last year for a series I think we would have won if we had had a healthy Vokoun. (not this year's Vokoun btw, last year's)

Old
04-05-2007, 12:25 AM
azsharkfan

So you stand a better chance vs. SJ?

Looks dang promising at the moment for a re-match.

Since Vokoun is healthy, do you think SJ should just give up now? I mean heck, they would have lost last year, so what is different?

Pick the best goalie in the NHL and SJ still wins that series last year.

Honestly, this should be a fantastic series if it shakes down.

Old
04-05-2007, 12:43 AM
________

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianpredsfan97 View Post
Big difference between the two. Nashville was getting experience in it's first few playoff matchups and Turco had good teams in front of him and still choked. (And my second favorite team is the Stars so you know I am being impartial about my own team).
When the Stars team did show up that one year Turco did a good playoffs, but since the team didn't play up to the level they should there's not much else Turco can do if the team doesn't show up your not going to win anyway.

IMO, I think the Preds would be best against the Canucks or Sharks.

Old
04-05-2007, 12:50 AM
________

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
Give me Dallas. They struggle to score at even strength, which we don't when healthy. They have a goalie that has been suspect in the past and has a short temper (we have a few players that can exploit that). They have been on a role of late and are confident that they can take the Preds. I like the underdog role, home ice, and a reasonably healthy group. As St Louis showed, if you score first you force them to open up.
Do the Preds play the trap? That's the main way to beat the Stars if the Stars would more patient in those games it wouldn't matter.
The Stars always struggle against Andy Murray's teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
Our games this year:
1-0 loss in Dallas (goal in the 3rd)
4-1 loss in Dallas (tied 1-1 late until consecutive 5 on 3's broke it open)
3-2 win at home (depleted lineup still wins)
The debacle final game-- out of it at the start, in the middle and at the end (if we play like this, we would perhaps not lose a series to the Yotes or Kings but that's it).

Throw out the final game and we were in each game. I think our depth is better for a 7 game series and I think we can grind out goals against them. I think we are the better team.
The Preds have better offensive depth, but the Stars play better against the teams that are more wide open.
Overall depth not just counting offense is the Stars.
The Stars have about 19 forwards and 9 defenseman that are NHL ready. I'm not aware of the Preds depth, but, I'm certain it's not that many maybe (17 forwards, 8 defenseman) i'm guessing.
Either way good luck to the Preds in the playoffs.

Old
04-05-2007, 10:24 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ________ View Post
Do the Preds play the trap? That's the main way to beat the Stars if the Stars would more patient in those games it wouldn't matter.
The Stars always struggle against Andy Murray's teams.

The Preds have better offensive depth, but the Stars play better against the teams that are more wide open.
Overall depth not just counting offense is the Stars.
The Stars have about 19 forwards and 9 defenseman that are NHL ready. I'm not aware of the Preds depth, but, I'm certain it's not that many maybe (17 forwards, 8 defenseman) i'm guessing.
Either way good luck to the Preds in the playoffs.
The Preds play the opposite of the trap. Sometimes I wish we WOULD trap a little, given the way were on our heels once we get up a goal or two. We play some kind of negative trap where we're MOST vulnerable in the neutral zone.

Old
04-05-2007, 10:28 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsharkfan View Post
So you stand a better chance vs. SJ?

Looks dang promising at the moment for a re-match.

Since Vokoun is healthy, do you think SJ should just give up now? I mean heck, they would have lost last year, so what is different?

Pick the best goalie in the NHL and SJ still wins that series last year.

Honestly, this should be a fantastic series if it shakes down.
I'm not sure what you are really getting at here. Judging by our match ups this season, we feel like we stand a better chance against San Jose compared to Dallas. Dallas plays very defensive and we struggle against teams who play this system (Minnesota, Detroitish).

San Jose is a little more wide open, which we are better against.

No one is saying your team is a pushover. And no one is saying we should have won the series last season.

We just feel we match up better. Of course with the way the team is playing lately, we couldn't match up with a local high school team.

Old
04-05-2007, 10:43 PM
Fan of The Game

Send a message via MSN to Fan of The Game
If I were you I would rather play Dallas.

Old
04-05-2007, 10:59 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

We could also be facing Anaheim if SJ wins out and the Ducks lose their remaining 2, SJ would get the Pacific and 2nd place.

Old
04-05-2007, 11:49 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan of The Game View Post
If I were you I would rather play Dallas.
That's because you're not as familiar with the Predators as those here. Stylistically, the game Dallas plays (trapping\clogging\counterattack) is devastating to our speed game. The Sharks may have more skill, but they're more likely to give us the openings we need. We've actually fared pretty well against the Sharks this year...the opposite can be said for the Stars.

Old
04-06-2007, 01:01 AM
Osprey

I'd rather have Dallas, especially since they haven't been that good recently. Tonight, they lost to Columbus and, on Monday, they lost to St. Louis. That said, though, San Jose looks more likely at this point. I am not looking forward to the. The Sharks have won 7 of their last 8.

Old
04-06-2007, 01:43 AM
off_the_shneid

A team's play going into thee playoffs is extremely important. Last season, the Sharks had been playing playoff hockey the last two/three months of the season in order to qualify. This helped their play in the first round immensely as they were already playing with playoff intensity. This season, they have been on a tear for the past month and a half. Nashville is what, 3-5-2 in their last 10? Not exactly the way you want to go into the postseason. From a Sharks fan standpoint, a SJ-Nashville series is good in the sense that we have been playing better the past month. Dallas, although playing decent, have lost to St. Louis and Columbus, was it?

Bottom line, the Sharks are playing better going into the POs than both Nashville and Dallas.

Old
04-06-2007, 01:44 AM
Requin
Lurkedylurk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMcKay View Post
I think San Jose is a better match up for us. We're probably looking for a little pay back anyway after last year's playoff butt kicking that we took from them. Also I think that San Jose isn't nearly as hot as they were last year going into the playoffs. This would be a higher scoring series than if we played Dallas, and could be equally if not more entertaining.
13-1-2 in the last 16 games disagrees with you.

Old
04-06-2007, 01:49 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by off_the_shneid View Post
A team's play going into thee playoffs is extremely important. Last season, the Sharks had been playing playoff hockey the last two/three months of the season in order to qualify. This helped their play in the first round immensely as they were already playing with playoff intensity. This season, they have been on a tear for the past month and a half. Nashville is what, 3-5-2 in their last 10? Not exactly the way you want to go into the postseason. From a Sharks fan standpoint, a SJ-Nashville series is good in the sense that we have been playing better the past month. Dallas, although playing decent, have lost to St. Louis and Columbus, was it?

Bottom line, the Sharks are playing better going into the POs than both Nashville and Dallas.
The playoffs are a whole new ballgame. There was an article this morning about that, actually...Carolina skidded into the playoffs and ended up winning it all. On the other hand, Detroit finished strong and got bounced in the first round.

For those scornfully pointing at our record, it's worth noting that its only recently that we're getting healthy. By the time the playoffs start, only Sullivan will be missing. This isnt going to be the same series as last year, count on that.

Old
04-06-2007, 05:39 AM
TrappedInFullerton
Murray SMASH

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
That's because you're not as familiar with the Predators as those here. Stylistically, the game Dallas plays (trapping\clogging\counterattack) is devastating to our speed game. The Sharks may have more skill, but they're more likely to give us the openings we need. We've actually fared pretty well against the Sharks this year...the opposite can be said for the Stars.
I just gotta point out that two of the games which the Preds won were on the backend of back-to-backs for the Sharks, so they beat weary Sharks twice (on the road at that).

Sharks went 10-2 in backend of back-to-backs, the two losses to the Preds. In Oct back-to-back at Detriot then Nashville, then in Feb back-to-back in St. Louis then Nashville, so both of those were on the road. With the way the Sharks are playing of late, I think them being fresh could stand a pretty good chance against the Preds.

That said, I'd rather the Preds and Stars went at it. Let those two beat each other up.

Old
04-06-2007, 07:39 AM
ChicoStateShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMcKay View Post
I think either match up will produce some great hockey moments for Music City.

A nasty rivalry could be blossoming between Nashville and Dallas. This is what the NHL needs to get back on track with the fans. A furious series between teams that are really starting to dislike each other. When the management starts to weigh in and sling mud along with the media, you knows things are nasty. Sure it could be ugly/boring 1-0 or 2-1 hockey. But the potential for an entertaining series is definitely there.

Frankly, I don't care who we play. I say Bring em on!!!!

If we want to win The Cup, it shouldn't matter who we play. Screw the injuries! Screw the negativity! I'm tired of hearing of preds fans and the media saying it's over before the playoffs have even started.
I'm gonna be every home game screaming my head off and acting the fool. If anybody wants to share a beer before, after, and during the games; give me a holla.
You are crazy. Sharks are on fire right now. I think in the last ten games, we are 8-1-1. I hope we play your Preds. Just like last year!

Old
04-06-2007, 07:57 AM
RollingPredFan

Well I would like to play Dallas because I will lose sleep with west coast starting times

But as of now it looks like I will

Old
04-06-2007, 10:06 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I hope the Sharks players are as cocky as the fans are...

Old
04-06-2007, 10:25 AM
DocMcKay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requin View Post
13-1-2 in the last 16 games disagrees with you.
Point taken. But I just don't seem to be as intimidated by them this year. I think we can beat them...but San Jose can definitely beat us too.

Closed Thread