HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: Blues @ Predators - 4.5.07

Old
04-05-2007, 10:05 PM
PeterAngelo
In Elliott We Trust

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
OMG The Preds are fore-checking, cycling, and putting the freaking puck into the net tonight WOW
Amazing ey, and sooooooo pretty to see

PeterAngelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 10:28 PM
PeterAngelo
In Elliott We Trust

good to be back on the winners list, good game by the guys. Lets get a win (or an otl but a win thanks) in Colorado and sew up home ice in the 1st round to prevent San Jose from 4th.

Old
04-05-2007, 10:34 PM
PeterAngelo
In Elliott We Trust

3 stars from the game....

1st star: Legwand (2 goals)

2nd star: Kariya (1 assist, must have been due to the milestone)

3rd star: Vokoun (21 saves, 1 goal against)

Old
04-05-2007, 10:36 PM
PeterAngelo
In Elliott We Trust

Oh and before i forget Yay to the preds for their franchise record 50th win!!!! Not to mention a franchise best 108 points also

Old
04-05-2007, 11:00 PM
Testify

Good 2nd period!!! OMG Radu,s goal??

50 wins.. amazing season!! now lets keep playing like this!

Testify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 11:00 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Go Calgary!

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 11:29 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Thanks alot Chicago you blow a 2 goal lead and give the Central to the Dead things

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 11:41 PM
irisheyes555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti-girl View Post
I [heart] Irisheyes555...
doh ee tah she mah she teh

Last edited by irisheyes555: 04-06-2007 at 12:01 AM. Reason: correctness
irisheyes555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 11:51 PM
irisheyes555

amazing how scoring a few goals and not letting in bad ones makes us look better. now to see if we can maintain the effort against the AVs.

several blues fans in attendance. very nice and everyone got along fine.

Old
04-06-2007, 12:02 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

So what happened in the third, ton of penalties.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 12:20 AM
irisheyes555

lot's of 'we are losing lets take shots'. then preds get called for countering. that and the refs were calling it tight. several calls against both teams that i thought didn't deserve a penalty. bottom line, no freebies for teams out of the playoffs.

Old
04-06-2007, 12:33 AM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by irisheyes555 View Post
doh ee tah she mah she teh

04-06-2007, 12:46 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Well some things I think are key to the game tonight:

1) Intensity out of the gate and a full 60 minute effort.
Legwand gets the early goal and the Predators apply so much pressure on the Blues out of the gate that they are forced to call a timeout less than 3:00 into the first period to regroup. Thought we had some lulls in the effort at times tonight and the flow of the game was thrown out of whack by penalties, especially the three penalties in the second period, but overall I would grade the effort tonight as an A-. Definitely an improvement over what we have seen as of late, now the question is whether or not they can sustain this effort in Colorado and keep it going heading into Game 1 of the playoffs.

Quote:
2) Our goaltending (Vokoun) needs to match their goaltending (Legace/Sanford/Bacashihua) and give us a chance to win.
Vokoun made the big glove save early in the first period and I thought he waved the glove high in the air as a sign to everyone "let's play hockey". I was honestly kind of nervous about Vokoun's first opportunity of the night. We had controlled the puck for so long in the early going I was concerned that Vokie might allow a softie on the first shot and all momentum would be lost, but he was up to the challenge and clearly gave us a chance to win tonight. Great screen by Backes on the point shot by Backman for the first goal...Timonen failed to clear the path and Vokoun had difficulty seeing the shot. Despite the clammoring for Mason to start in Colorado I would like to see Vokoun get the call to see if he can put together a string of solid efforts heading into the playoffs. The Vokoun we all know and love (and hate) was on display tonight with his aggressive stance towards handling the puck. I thought he made much better decisions with the puck tonight and especially on deciding whether or not to leave his crease to go after a loose puck.

Quote:
3) Faceoffs!
We did a good job in the faceoff department tonight. As a team we won 55% of the overall draws, won 56% (5 of 9) in the offensive zone, won 57% (4 of 7) in the defensive zone, and won 54% (13 of 24) in the neutral zone. Arnott (7 of 9) lead the way tonight with 77% won and Smithson picked up the slack with a hefty 75% (6 of 8). Legwand was 46% and Fiddler and Forsberg were 33% and 29% respectively. This skill lead to the first goal, helped our PK, and also helped the PP establish puck possession inside the zone.

Quote:
4) Patience.
This game was much more wide open than I thought it was going to be and that favored the Predators. The Blues weren't able to fall back into their 1-4 trap from the very start of the game when Leggy put the Preds ahead 1-0, but overall I'm not sure if they would have anyways because a 1-0 deficit 11 seconds into the game certainly isn't going to make you radically change your game plan. Regardless, the key area I was looking for was the Predators taking care of the puck in the neutral zone and getting the puck deep when a play didn't present itself on the rush. I thought they did a very good job of this tonight. Our crash and bang line of Hordichuk - Nichol - Smithson had several good shifts of getting the puck deep and hitting the STL defense and Dumont, Arnott, Hartnell, Tootoo, and even Radulov got into the action along the way as well to maintain that pressure all throughout the game. The tandem forecheck of Fiddler and Radulov created the turnover that lead to the third goal and overall I thought we did a great job of not letting STL breakout of their zone easy all night long.

Quote:
5) Special teams have to be "Special" Obviously our PK has not been a problem too much, but regardless...we gotta watch out for the Blues tonight with Stempniak at the point booming the one-timer and Weight and Boyes among others using their playmaking skills to create chances. Our PP has got to get some goals tonight. Even-strength this game is not going to be fun. Offense is going to be hard to come by and the PP is going to present a majority of our scoring chances for the night. I'd like to see the Predators look away from that cross-crease pass and look more towards getting Weber and Arnott some one-timers. I'd like to see some more movement to the PP tonight...no standing around. I think we will see Hartnell plant himself in front of the net again, but don't count on him being in game shape...it is harder then it looks to tip a puck fired at 90+ mph, let alone have any accuracy doing so. I'd like to see at least two PP goals tonight. I say if we are a +2 on special teams tonight (PP goals for - PK goals against) we win the game guaranteed.
Well, our PK was perfect and our PP units were changed with Forsberg being moved to the second unit and the return of Legwand to the first unit with Kariya and bang...we score two power play goals! A lot better movement on the first PP unit lead to multiple scoring opportunities and allowed the Predators to hem in the Blues PK unit for almost a full 1:45 prior to Legwand's second goal of the game. Weber took more shots tonight and Timonen was very active as well as Arnott was. The second unit was still having some trouble gaining posession inside the zone on their first attempt and were standing still during their second attempt which eventually lead to Forsberg being able to walk in before wiring the puck up and over Bacashihua's shoulder for the 4th goal of the game. Hartnell looked very rusty, but looked like he had a ton of fun standing in his familiar spot right in front of the crease.

Other thoughts...Radulov needs to shoot the puck more. He had a nice shot on his goal tonight, but when faced with a similiar scenario in the third period he again walked the puck in way too far and stickhandled until he found himself behind the net where I think he tried to bank it in off the goalie's back. Alex...shooting the puck with your quick release from the slot area is a much higher percentage play than trying to bank it in from behind the net!

I liked the new defensive combinations. Timonen and Weber are a balanced pair with speed, size, and offensive talent to spare. Hamhuis and Zanon is a defensive shutdown pair...although they lack significant size I thought both played very physical tonight (7 hits combined - 4 for Hamhuis, 3 for Zanon (along with 5 blocked shots)). Zidlicky and Suter is a blast from the past as they played most of last season together. Another two-way pair, Suter will be leaned on heavily to do the dirty work while Zidlicky tries the fancy stickhandling and poke checks. I worry about this pairing the most because of Zidlicky's defensive lapses and lack of desire to take/make a hit to make a play, but then again...I'd worry about any pair he is on.

Fiddler is totally snakebit. Don't pass him the puck in a shooting position. In the past two games entering tonight he has had breakaway opportunities and failed to score, then tonight Dumont feeds him the goalmouth pass on the 2 v 1 early in the first period and he cannot finish. Fids...keep doing what you're doing...you're getting the chances...the goals will come.

Hartnell is very rusty. He misplayed the puck the first three times he touched it tonight and the trend continued all night long. 11:57 of ice time tonight was in line with what Trotz has been giving people coming back into the lineup. Hartnell didn't see any PK time and we didn't need him, but I wouldn't be surprised if he is worked back into the rotation during the playoffs.

Sure, we beat St. Louis and they are not a playoff team...but I'll take it. Solid effort tonight from the boys. As Trotz said after the Chicago game...he would be more concerned if we weren't getting the chances rather than not burying the chances that we got. Well tonight I thought we probably should have had a couple more goals, but that's the way the puck bounces sometimes. PP got going tonight and our energy level was where it needed to be. I'm a happy camper tonight!

Last edited by Seth Lake: 04-06-2007 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Added stats
Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 03:35 AM
sparkle twin
Real Deal

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
It's amazing what a win will do for the mood of everyone.

A much better effort in this game. Jumped on them quick and never let up. Kept control of the game the entire time.

That's about as quick of a start as we could get. New franchise record for fastest start to a game.

Vokoun made some big saves when he needed to and kept us in the game. Didn't have a lot of work, but stayed focused and made the big saves.

Zidlicky played great. He made 3-4 big plays to take the puck away from guys.

Great PK, especially the full 2 min. 5 on 3. I don't like that we've had these 2 out of the last 3 games.

I don't think Radu ever takes a shift off. He just goes 100% every time, and busts his ass up and down the ice. He might make a mistake, but he keeps those feet moving and never gives up on a play. I bet if we played a multiple OT game, he would still be flying around out there (maybe we'll see it this year ).

People will say, well it was just St.Louis, but they've been playing well lately and even beat Dallas the other night. So this was a very good win, on many levels.

Have to keep this going on Saturday. Colorado will be flying, only 3 pts out and 2 games to play. Also isn't this the first return of Forsberg to Colorado? Disappointed I'll be out of town and can't watch it. But that's how teams in the playoffs are going to play, so might as well start winning now!

Congrats to the Preds. 50 wins!

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 03:40 AM
Crazyhorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spank303
Have to keep this going on Saturday. Colorado will be flying, only 3 pts out and 2 games to play. Also isn't this the first return of Forsberg to Colorado? Disappointed I'll be out of town and can't watch it. But that's how teams in the playoffs are going to play, so might as well start winning now!
Thats correct. It will be the first time he plays in the Pepsi Center without an Avs-jersey on. Will be a emotional game for him.

BTW, does anyone have a youtube link to the Forsberg goal tonight? TSN are always late at showing the summary of a Preds game.

Crazyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 09:04 AM
RollingPredFan

We after ranting and raving at them, I must applaud the team for playing well. Yes its was St Louis but you can tell thats the kind of hockey we are used to. Anyways these next days should be fun... theres alot of scenarios that could happen, hopefully somehow we come up with a point in Colorado... I just wish we had played just a little bit better on this last homestand then it wouldn't be so meaningful but oh well

Oh and hey about that Radulov, hes really starting to come on... He may be our best player in the playoffs you never know

RollingPredFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 09:44 AM
Testify

Also nice to see the team not stop at the lead after 40 mins and played a 20 mins PK!

in the 3rd we kept the pressure up! never give up! never stop putting pressure!!

Testify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 10:28 AM
jstreet
Smashville

vCash: 9000
is Forsberg ok? he didnt take the ice again after slowly going off towards the end of the game.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 11:04 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnlikestars View Post
is Forsberg ok? he didnt take the ice again after slowly going off towards the end of the game.
I think it was just because we played the rest of the game on the PK. I watched for him as they showed everyone entering the tunnel\hi-fiving Sullivan, and he had been on the bench in full equipment\was walking fine.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 11:07 AM
jstreet
Smashville

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
I think it was just because we played the rest of the game on the PK. I watched for him as they showed everyone entering the tunnel\hi-fiving Sullivan, and he had been on the bench in full equipment\was walking fine.
good. I was pretty scared for a second there. The cameras didnt catch the play, the Titansean indicates that it was a bad slash from Stempniak.

can anyone confirm?

Old
04-06-2007, 12:30 PM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnlikestars View Post
good. I was pretty scared for a second there. The cameras didnt catch the play, the Titansean indicates that it was a bad slash from Stempniak.

can anyone confirm?
Terrible slash to the leg after the play. Forsberg pushed him a bit after the play and Stemniak slashed Forsberg near his ankle. Forsberg was slow to get up and skated off slowly. Really dirty.

Postgame comments from Trotz suggested Forsberg is okay. However, I was disappointed to hear Trotz call out his own player (hartnell) but ignore calling out the slash on Forsberg. Unbelievable.

Last edited by Jarnberg: 04-06-2007 at 12:39 PM.
Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 02:58 PM
jstreet
Smashville

Harts must of ran over Trotzy's dog or something.

Old
04-06-2007, 10:58 PM
Olaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Terrible slash to the leg after the play. Forsberg pushed him a bit after the play and Stemniak slashed Forsberg near his ankle. Forsberg was slow to get up and skated off slowly. Really dirty.

Postgame comments from Trotz suggested Forsberg is okay. However, I was disappointed to hear Trotz call out his own player (hartnell) but ignore calling out the slash on Forsberg. Unbelievable.
I agree..Kimmo was arguing to the ref about the slash. If Forsberg had been seriously hurt I doubt Trotz would have ripped Hartnell one in the post game comment for "gestures" to the STL bench. Does anybody know exactly what he did?

Olaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 11:05 PM
irisheyes555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olaf View Post
I agree..Kimmo was arguing to the ref about the slash. If Forsberg had been seriously hurt I doubt Trotz would have ripped Hartnell one in the post game comment for "gestures" to the STL bench. Does anybody know exactly what he did?
he gestured that they were #1, just not with his index finger.

Old
04-06-2007, 11:52 PM
handtrick

may have missed Pred303's usual post game analysis.....but if I didn't, there is some definite slackage there....I hope he gets his game back for the playoffs....

A few things that come to mind about this St. Louis game.....

We finally played a freaking full 60 minutes......I can't remember the last time we did, but we finally did.
I couldn't have asked for a more important thing to happen after our last lull....we did it, and it didn't happen just by chance.
They had their "big meeting" and from all I could gleen, it was a "player's only meeting"....which are usually the best kind.......Items discussed were..........the long grind of the playoffs, and what it takes....getting the swagger back...getting rid of the negative vibe in the room.....and the fact that it is a "new season."
I was really impressed with the guys standing up for eachother in the last 10 minutes of the game as it got ugly.....that was the most important thing that I saw all night.....and it was everybody....Hartnell, Suter, Weber, Fiddler, Smithson, Nichol, and, Tootoo. THAT was as important as anything else I saw all night....

The replay didn't show it, but I think Divorak took a cheap slash at Forsberg's ankle, which he skated off gingerly.....Hartnell and Nichol double teamed a Blue in the corner and a pair-up scrum insued.
There is no video evidence of "Hartnell's gesture" to the Blues bench....but Trotz was obviously upset about it......if it was in response to the slash on Forsberg's ankle....then Trotz was overreacting and he should have been defending Hartnell instead of admonishing him in the post game show.
He and Andy Murray are good friends, so he may have been embarrassed by the gesture more than anything, but we really don't know the details, and further comment is simply speculation. The fact that Tootoo kept crosschecking Divorak by the benches tells me that the slash on Forsberg was being answered.
The fact that Trotz initially said that, "if that happens again, Hartnell won't be playing for HERE" then correcting himself and said, "won't be playing the next game" says a lot.....I agree with Predperson....usually what slips out is more what you really feel, than want you correct it to be later.
I wish I knew exactly what the gesture was, as it would help me analyse it better....but from many things I have heard, Hartnell just doesn't have the confidence and support of the coaches that somebody of his unique skill-set and mind-set and physical attributes should bring to this team. I got to imagine, for many different observations, that it has to do with last years run of "stupid penalties".....and tonight was just a flashback to then. He HAS to play with his emotions on his sleeve to play effective, but with that, unfortunately comes the "stupid penalties"....I wish he could seperate the two, but I fear he can't....

Another thing I wanted to mention is that Tootoo played one of his best "skill games" of the year.....he had a number of quick, crisp passes.....got off some quality one-timers....and played a speed game with Kariya and Legwand, while not once playing the role of the human missle lock. He handled the puck as well as he ever has, and was defensively responsible.
Granted he has a way to go, and he is no Erat....but I thought he peformed that role much better than he has all year and seems to be seeing the game better and it is "slowing down for him" tp some degree.

Radulov......every Trotz hater was so worried that Trotz was going to "ruin him" by teaching him to play, at least somewhat defensively responsible.....
Well to this, I say to you....that Radulov has elevated his TOTAL game so much more than what it was, but at the same time, not losing any of his goal scoring instincts, WHATSOEVER. He leads ALL ROOKIES, +/-, while remaining 2nd in shot %age, and while being 7th in goals but 2nd in TOI/G.......that is quite a balancing act....so, cudos to the coaches this year.

We may look back and say that losing to Dallas and Detroit was the best thing that could have happened to us.......it has refocused the "room".....we have responded in a positive way in all aspects of the game against a fairly hot team, although one that is out of the playoffs, I grant you.
If we play solid against Colorado, and don't lose that focus and momentum, we are on solid footing enering in the first round, as long as we don't falter early and have self-doubt creep back in.

The coaches have showed some willingness to tinker with both the PP units and the D-pairings.....
I really like Kimmo and Weber as a "true #1 pairing".....Zids should be getting 3rd line minutes....but he did play a better offensive and defensive game. He had some glorious chances, that he created for himself by good reads, and will eventually produce divides, while maintaining relatively good defensive awareness and postitioning. The fact that he almost took a two-hander to the glass after putting that slot shot into the goalie's crest just shows how frustrated he is about his lack of goal scoring.....I would love to see him break out in the 1st round.....

All I wish is that we had Sully back....but they HAVE to focus that he is out for the year, and if he DOES miraculously come back....it could provide a boost, but they need to play as if he is out until next season.
I just hope they continue the momentum against Colorado, even if they are resting key people.......no new injuries, please though.

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote