HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Inline goalie skates

Old
03-21-2007, 11:55 AM
SaveByHexy

vCash: 500
Inline goalie skates

Sorry if there's already a thread on this...please point me there if there is...but can anyone tell me A.) If they make a big difference in play vs. wearing regular skates, and B.) How exactly does the sizing work?

Thanks in advance.

SaveByHexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2007, 07:52 PM
MikeD

A big difference(+) and you would probably go with one size up from your normal sneaker size.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2007, 04:05 PM
fullmetal2405

i've always gone down in size from my shoe size. I wear size 10 1/2 shoes and size 9 skates, granted it depends on the brand. I never wore goalie skates for roller hockey, and I don't think it would make a big difference. player skates were comfortable enough for me and provide more than enough protection.

fullmetal2405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2007, 07:55 AM
ArchieIsGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetal2405 View Post
i've always gone down in size from my shoe size. I wear size 10 1/2 shoes and size 9 skates, granted it depends on the brand. I never wore goalie skates for roller hockey, and I don't think it would make a big difference. player skates were comfortable enough for me and provide more than enough protection.
im pretty sure atleast one difference is the durability of the skate atleast in terms of the Chassis. my teams goalie wears player skates and his broke making a pretty standard play...of course that ended up resulting in a goal and then we had to play with an empty net for 10mins until he got a new skate

ArchieIsGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2007, 05:27 PM
MikeD

The lower chassi and small wheels make balance and movement much improved. Low cut boot allows for ankle freedom, further enhancing your play. Fullmetal is 100% correct. It is down one size from your street shoe. My bad...sorry about that.

Old
03-24-2007, 07:07 PM
fullmetal2405

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchieIsGod View Post
im pretty sure atleast one difference is the durability of the skate atleast in terms of the Chassis. my teams goalie wears player skates and his broke making a pretty standard play...of course that ended up resulting in a goal and then we had to play with an empty net for 10mins until he got a new skate
I've had my player skates for about 3 years, playing only in goal with them... never had a problem *shrug*

I know there's differences between layer and goalie skates, I do wear goalie skates on ice... Just never seen them for roller. I have seen goalie wheels though

fullmetal2405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 09:28 AM
luongo88

player skates work fine

luongo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2007, 02:05 PM
MikeD

No doubt that the players work OK. I used the Mission VSI for a long time. The Bauers were just more suited. Its nothing like trying to wear player skates on ice but even that works well for those who never went with a goaler skate. For roller its that little bit more to help in what I think is a much harder game to play than ice.

Old
03-27-2007, 12:37 AM
kovalev27hf

trust me on this its night and day. i always used player skates up until 2 years ago then i bought the bauer 1000's (really only ones out there) and man let me tell you best thing i ever did. i wouldn't go a size down for goalie skates you actually want a little extra room to be able to rock forward and backward in there. so make sure you have a bit extra room almost want the agility of a sneaker trust me on this

kovalev27hf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2007, 04:09 PM
Eagle20

More your personal preference. If you stick with player skates go with smaller wheels obviously. I have player skates and use 58mm on the front and 64mm on the backs. Your still no where near as low as with goalie skates but they seem to work fine for me.

Eagle20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2007, 03:44 PM
camcool21

http://www.usaskates.com/rollerhocke...ineskates.html

a little pricey?

camcool21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 07:33 AM
SaveByHexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by camcool21 View Post
Yeah...that's why I really wanted to hear from others to see if it was really worth the investment. The "cheapest" I've seen them is around $210, basically because it's the only skate like this out there...

SaveByHexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2007, 11:59 PM
Thiazi

Goalie skates make a big difference. They are very light and low to the ground with a hard cowling, which will protect your feet from pucks. Also, the 5-wheeled chasis is very nice, since it seems to work better for shuffeling and other goalie manuevers than the traditional 4-wheeled chasis. I currently use the Nike Bauer Vapor XG Lites. They have been very nice so far, though they can be tough to break in. I really like the 47mm wheels, since it puts me a little closer to the ground, though some goalies do complain about losing a little speed when they switched to 47mm wheels. However, if you are willing to wait a couple months, then the new Tour goalie skates, which use 59mm wheels will be out soon. At least one of their models should be priced competively with the XG Lites and they'll use a Labeda chasis and 59 mm Labeda goalie wheels if that makes a difference.

Thiazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2007, 10:25 PM
funktasticblues93

Send a message via Yahoo to funktasticblues93
a friend of mine went to "play it again sports" and got a cheap pair of ice hockey goalie skates, and just put a chasis on them and he didn't pay to much for them, i'm not sure what he paid but it wasn't the price for a new pair

funktasticblues93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2007, 12:03 AM
We'reGonnaWin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by funktasticblues93 View Post
a friend of mine went to "play it again sports" and got a cheap pair of ice hockey goalie skates, and just put a chasis on them and he didn't pay to much for them, i'm not sure what he paid but it wasn't the price for a new pair
where'd he get chassis?

We'reGonnaWin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 11:19 AM
funktasticblues93

Send a message via Yahoo to funktasticblues93
Quote:
Originally Posted by We'reGonnaWin View Post
where'd he get chassis?
Johny Mac's i believe, but don't quote me on that

funktasticblues93 is offline   Reply With Quote