HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Gary Roberts' neck injury

Old
07-11-2014, 07:36 AM
Stringer Bell

vCash: 500
Gary Roberts' neck injury

Can anyone tell me a bit about what Gary Roberts was like before his neck injury? Would he have continued to play at a similar level had he not had that neck injury and missed an entire season? Obviously the scoring in the league changed a bit at that time, however.

Looking at his stats in Calgary leading up to his neck injury, they were very impressive. Granted scoring was much higher...but when he scored his 53 goals in 1991-1992, he was actually top 4 I believe in goal scoring. Not as if he was top 15 in a high scoring year. He also had 38 goals in 58 games the following year which is a pace of 54 goals in 82 games.

Was he considered a star in the league? How did people see him? Would he have continued to be a top 15 goal scorer in the league for a few years had he not been derailed by that injury?

Looks like if it weren't for that neck injury and missed season, and the lockout in 2004-2005...he easily would have cleared 1000+ points, maybe 1100...which is impressive for anyone.

One of the greatest power forwards of all time?

Stringer Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 07:40 AM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer Bell View Post
Can anyone tell me a bit about what Gary Roberts was like before his neck injury? Would he have continued to play at a similar level had he not had that neck injury and missed an entire season? Obviously the scoring in the league changed a bit at that time, however.

Looking at his stats in Calgary leading up to his neck injury, they were very impressive. Granted scoring was much higher...but when he scored his 53 goals in 1991-1992, he was actually top 4 I believe in goal scoring. Not as if he was top 15 in a high scoring year. He also had 38 goals in 58 games the following year which is a pace of 54 goals in 82 games.

Was he considered a star in the league? How did people see him? Would he have continued to be a top 15 goal scorer in the league for a few years had he not been derailed by that injury?

Looks like if it weren't for that neck injury and missed season, and the lockout in 2004-2005...he easily would have cleared 1000+ points, maybe 1100...which is impressive for anyone.

One of the greatest power forwards of all time?
He was a monster before he broke his neck.

One of very few players to score 50 goals and 200 pims in the same season.

If he hadn't suffered that injury I think he would have been up among the best power forwards of all time. Very similar to Kevin Stevens in that way.. they don't really make them like those guys any more.

BraveCanadian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 07:57 AM
The Panther

As a kid, I hated Roberts a lot on the Flames. (Not as much as I hated Jim Peplinksi...but in Jim's case, he actually was a bonehead.) When I was a bit more mature, I realized how effective Roberts was and I grew to admire him. I liked what he did for Toronto very late in his career, and even on the Finals' run with Pittsburgh (in 08?) he was very effective. I remember one game where he scored a goal, had a fight, a bunch of hits, and was tossed from the game. The Pens' fans were chanting his name as he left. This was when he was maybe 40.

He was so intense, and he always played on the edge. He wasn't at all capable of making a team win by himself, but he added an extra element that is really essential.

(As a random example since I'm an Oilers' fan -- Roberts is exactly the kind of player the current edition of the Oilers needs, and lacks.)

The Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 08:15 AM
Thenameless

My favourite left winger of all time.

Thenameless is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 08:55 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
Trick Daddy

vCash: 2498
before his neck injury I actually thought he was a better PF then Neely was at the time, and this coming from someone that lived in the Boston area. Not sure he would have been able to sustain that level of play though, practically nobody that plays that style does. The body just breaks down on you eventually one way or another. Guy was an absolute warrior before and after coming back though, I think it's fairly likely he would have established himself as an HoFer much the same way Shany did.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2014, 07:35 AM
Bougieman

He was absolutely incredible playing with his childhood friend, Joe Nieuwendyk in Calgary, and was a big part of Joe's rise to stardom to become (arguably) the best player on that late 1980s/early 1990s Flames team, which was loaded with great players.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=600533

Bougieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2014, 08:46 AM
Hobnobs
Pinko

The knock on Roberts were that like after his injury he was a sore loser who did dirty stuff like punching people in the face after the horn sounded. Never won any respect from me.

Hobnobs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2014, 10:14 AM
vadim sharifijanov

peak gary roberts was a long time coming, and lasted such a short time. but yeah he was incredible. if you're asking me to rank the best power forwards from the end of the 80s up to first lockout, roberts at his very best is behind only neely and kevin stevens, and lindros if we're also counting centers. ahead of shanahan, young tkachuk, tocchet, wendel when wendel was healthy, everyone.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote