HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anton Lander

Old
07-10-2014, 12:15 PM
bucks_oil

vCash: 500
I think Lander with two offensive players would be a great fit... perhaps they bring him out of his shell while he covers *** for them.

He's at the age that smart, 2-way center men start to take a step forward... we're impatient, but he's been brought along well. A full year in the AHL was probably the best thing for him.

Let's see...

bucks_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 12:26 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Oilers' 14/15 Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks_oil View Post
I think Lander with two offensive players would be a great fit... perhaps they bring him out of his shell while he covers *** for them.

He's at the age that smart, 2-way center men start to take a step forward... we're impatient, but he's been brought along well. A full year in the AHL was probably the best thing for him.

Let's see...
This is all great, at the AHL level, but he's shown nothing at the NHL. I know it's not easy, but he's shown nothing at all, that's troubling.

I want him to succeed, I like the player, but he has to do something.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 01:29 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
This is all great, at the AHL level, but he's shown nothing at the NHL. I know it's not easy, but he's shown nothing at all, that's troubling.

I agree. You look at his AHL season and see 52 points in 46 games and it looks great. Offensive upside, ready to make the jump. Then you look at his NHL season.

1 assist in 27 games... to go along with 1 assist in 11 games the year before. That's not good enough regardless of where he played in the lineup. That's not good enough for a guy who plays 6 minutes a night. Let alone the 13+ that Lander played. Factor in he isn't particularly physical, isn't very good at faceoffs, isn't a good skater/fore checker... there's not much to get excited for at the NHL level.

He needs to be ready out of camp to make the team. He was a complete non-factor last year in camp and any time he was called up to the NHL.

Lander is a guy that the Oilers could really benefit to have develop into a legit NHLer. He has the skills (in the SEL/AHL) and leadership quality to be the ideal type of 3rd line center. But he's gotta get there.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 04:25 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Oilers' 14/15 Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
I agree. You look at his AHL season and see 52 points in 46 games and it looks great. Offensive upside, ready to make the jump. Then you look at his NHL season.

1 assist in 27 games... to go along with 1 assist in 11 games the year before. That's not good enough regardless of where he played in the lineup. That's not good enough for a guy who plays 6 minutes a night. Let alone the 13+ that Lander played. Factor in he isn't particularly physical, isn't very good at faceoffs, isn't a good skater/fore checker... there's not much to get excited for at the NHL level.

He needs to be ready out of camp to make the team. He was a complete non-factor last year in camp and any time he was called up to the NHL.

Lander is a guy that the Oilers could really benefit to have develop into a legit NHLer. He has the skills (in the SEL/AHL) and leadership quality to be the ideal type of 3rd line center. But he's gotta get there.
That was the big concern for me. There was a spot to just take, I mean they only kept Will Acton because Lander didn't take the job, they waived him to the minors as soon as they could, basically.

I agree with you, Lander could be that surprise guy that comes in, contributes and finds his place on this team, I just hope he's ready to do it, because there aren't better opportunities going forward.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 09:51 PM
Hitchslap

vCash: 100
I still have some hope for Lander. His stats look a lot like Nick Bonino's at the same point in their careers, and though I generally find player comparisons useless, I do think Lander has some untapped offensive potential. I could see him produce at 0.4ish PPG in the NHL soon.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=105377

Bonino for comparisons sake.

Hitchslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 10:55 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Bonino has played significantly better at the NHL level than Lander has. I really like Lander, but he really needs to take a big step forward this year in his NHL games. He's too good for the AHL, but he hasn't been good enough for the NHL so far. He's got big strong C prospects like Khaira and Yakimov breathing down his neck and if he doesn't come to camp a good step quicker, he could miss his chance to play for the Oilers.

I am pulling for him still. I really hope he impresses at camp.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 11:03 PM
Staghorn

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Bonino has played significantly better at the NHL level than Lander has. I really like Lander, but he really needs to take a big step forward this year in his NHL games. He's too good for the AHL, but he hasn't been good enough for the NHL so far. He's got big strong C prospects like Khaira and Yakimov breathing down his neck and if he doesn't come to camp a good step quicker, he could miss his chance to play for the Oilers.

I am pulling for him still. I really hope he impresses at camp.
Lander is the guy that if he was on the Red Wings he'd be the next great up and comer.... Lots of players are great in the AHL and can't cut it in the NHL. This should be his last chance... He's got to do more.

Staghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 12:28 AM
ManofSteel55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post

He has made great strides offensively in the AHL. How will he ever prove himself at the NHL level if we keep dumping him in the minors?

ManofSteel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 12:38 AM
MessierII

I just don't see an NHL future here with this guy.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 12:48 AM
Up the Irons

vCash: 408
meh.

he's on his last chance for me. Lander has until December to prove his an NHLer or good riddance. Patience? yeah, it's gone. oh well.

Patience isn't everything. See: Gagner and Hemsky. We were forever waiting for that next level. it never came.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 01:05 AM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManofSteel55 View Post
He has made great strides offensively in the AHL. How will he ever prove himself at the NHL level if we keep dumping him in the minors?
He had more than 1/3rd of the year to prove himself last year. Jimmi's right. At this point it's on Lander to show that he is ready. There is 2 spots at center up for grabs as things stand now. Lander needs to show he is ready now, or I don't think he ever will be.

Frankly, he needs to come into camp and blow everyones socks off. He's old enough, he's had enough success and experience in the AHL and now is the time for him. He's unlikely to ever get a better chance again.

That Bonino comparison is interesting though.

His 22 year old season just under a PPG in the AHL, and in 26 games in the NHL didn't get a point.
His next year as a 23 year old he put up 18 in 50 games playing 3rd/4th line minutes. Slowly has progressed upwards to a 49 point season this past year.

Lander in his 22 year old season was over PPG in the AHL, in 27 games in the NHL got 1 assist.
23 and after?

Who knows, but thanks for the comparison Hitchslap! Don't need a world beater out of Lander. Just a guy who actually becomes an NHLer.

Last edited by Spawn: 07-11-2014 at 01:11 AM.
Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 09:54 AM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 1360
If Lander turned into Bonino, that would be fantastic and sorely needed. I hope he's realized what it takes to do that, though.

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2014, 11:23 AM
JoeCool16

Well, training camp is in two days. Time for the last ballad of Anton Lander?

He's got his biggest chance at the NHL he's probably had, coming off a terrific AHL season and with no Gagner anymore. Gordon is going to end up either 4C or 3C (4C if we go with three scoring lines), so Lander has a shot at 2C, 3C and 4C. Whatever kind of player he thinks he is/wants to be, there's a spot for him. And there are two centre spots... he only needs to beat out two of Draisaitl, Acrobello and Yakimov.

If he doesn't come motivated and play hard, I think both sides are fed up with each other and go their separate ways, with him off to Europe and a decent career. It'd be a shame, though. He really started putting it together in the AHL last season, and in those last few games where he got a bigger role on the Oilers I thought he played fairly well... he just wasn't getting bounces.

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2014, 11:47 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCool16 View Post
Well, training camp is in two days. Time for the last ballad of Anton Lander?

He's got his biggest chance at the NHL he's probably had, coming off a terrific AHL season and with no Gagner anymore. Gordon is going to end up either 4C or 3C (4C if we go with three scoring lines), so Lander has a shot at 2C, 3C and 4C. Whatever kind of player he thinks he is/wants to be, there's a spot for him. And there are two centre spots... he only needs to beat out two of Draisaitl, Acrobello and Yakimov.

If he doesn't come motivated and play hard, I think both sides are fed up with each other and go their separate ways, with him off to Europe and a decent career. It'd be a shame, though. He really started putting it together in the AHL last season, and in those last few games where he got a bigger role on the Oilers I thought he played fairly well... he just wasn't getting bounces.
He had a spot going into last year's camp and simply couldn't lock it up. He pretty much gave the spot to Arco. I do however don't think this is his last shot at the NHL. Given his age and AHL numbers I'd be shocked if there weren't a couple teams that would be willing to give him a shot yet.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2014, 11:52 AM
JoeCool16

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
He had a spot going into last year's camp and simply couldn't lock it up. He pretty much gave the spot to Arco. I do however don't think this is his last shot at the NHL. Given his age and AHL numbers I'd be shocked if there weren't a couple teams that would be willing to give him a shot yet.
That's true, I forgot about Gagner's mouth injury in exhibitions. Still, this time he's had all summer to mentally and physically prepare knowing what he did in the AHL and that there is a spot open this year on 2C.

I think that NHL teams may look more at his 2 goals and 8 points in 94 NHL games before his AHL numbers, and ask why he can't make a team with unproven centre depth before giving him a shot. I'm sure someone would be happy to take him on as an AHLer in a low-risk move, hoping he progresses to a solid NHLer... but I don't think that's what Lander wants. Unless he gets an 1-way NHL job, I think he's back to Europe after this year.

Old
09-16-2014, 11:56 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCool16 View Post
That's true, I forgot about Gagner's mouth injury in exhibitions. Still, this time he's had all summer to mentally and physically prepare knowing what he did in the AHL and that there is a spot open this year on 2C.

I think that NHL teams may look more at his 2 goals and 8 points in 94 NHL games before his AHL numbers, and ask why he can't make a team with unproven centre depth before giving him a shot. I'm sure someone would be happy to take him on as an AHLer in a low-risk move, hoping he progresses to a solid NHLer... but I don't think that's what Lander wants. Unless he gets an 1-way NHL job, I think he's back to Europe after this year.
They could also look at the fact the Oilers really have zero guys that they've developed in the AHL on their roster for a decent amount of games.

Would be a mistake for Lander to just leave the Oilers and go back to Europe without first trying another team. One where he could potentially just play a smaller role and not need to be a potential impact player anytime soon.

Old
09-16-2014, 12:04 PM
JoeCool16

Quote:
They could also look at the fact the Oilers really have zero guys that they've developed in the AHL on their roster for a decent amount of games.

Would be a mistake for Lander to just leave the Oilers and go back to Europe without first trying another team. One where he could potentially just play a smaller role and not need to be a potential impact player anytime soon.
He COULD play a smaller role on the Oilers, but he hasn't been anything special as a 4th liner either. If other teams don't think he's ready for the NHL, they aren't going to put him in their lineup. If they think the Oilers don't develop properly and that he has unrealized potential but needs further development, I don't think Lander will want to wait.

He doesn't need to make the team out of the camp because we'll eventually get an injury, but overall, I think this is his last season to make an impact, enough to justify a team signing him in the NHL.

Old
09-16-2014, 12:29 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 50
I think his best shot is a 4th line winger role.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2014, 02:31 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeestaDeteta View Post
I think his best shot is a 4th line winger role.
I think there's more of a logjam as that 4th line winger than at centre.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2014, 07:46 PM
Aerchon

Lander and Pitlick are both prospects that "should" be locks to make this team straight out of camp.

Both just need to take that final step and translate their game to the NHL. Way easier said than done I know, but their arrows point to being an NHL level player at some point.

The thing that really sucks is that both are on one year one way deals if I remember correctly. As much as they need to start showing NHL caliber right away, neither are exactly old for prospects, and may well need another year or two before they finally can impact the NHL. They may well end up being waiver wire pick-ups for other teams before that happens.

Mac T/Eakins have some very big decisions to make this year that could seriously effect the future of this club.

Aerchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2014, 01:18 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerchon View Post
Lander and Pitlick are both prospects that "should" be locks to make this team straight out of camp.

Both just need to take that final step and translate their game to the NHL. Way easier said than done I know, but their arrows point to being an NHL level player at some point.

The thing that really sucks is that both are on one year one way deals if I remember correctly. As much as they need to start showing NHL caliber right away, neither are exactly old for prospects, and may well need another year or two before they finally can impact the NHL. They may well end up being waiver wire pick-ups for other teams before that happens.

Mac T/Eakins have some very big decisions to make this year that could seriously effect the future of this club.
The one way deal has nothing to really do with waiver, but I don't know that Pitlick gets picked up. Lander maybe, but how many young wingers get picked up off of waivers right out of training camp?

Old
09-17-2014, 04:46 PM
Aerchon

Quote:
The one way deal has nothing to really do with waiver, but I don't know that Pitlick gets picked up. Lander maybe, but how many young wingers get picked up off of waivers right out of training camp?
Yea I always think of one way as waiver eligible but they are not the same thing.

Aerchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2014, 04:58 PM
CantHaveTkachev
"Visually"

Lander is the perfect example of why we're stuck near the bottom of the league each and every year

we simply have not drafted and developed enough depth players in the 2nd round... (the same applies to Pitlick and Hamilton)

hopefully he turns it around and becomes an NHLer but "the future 2C" has been a bust up to this point and this has to be his last chance

CantHaveTkachev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2014, 10:52 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
Lander is the perfect example of why we're stuck near the bottom of the league each and every year

we simply have not drafted and developed enough depth players in the 2nd round... (the same applies to Pitlick and Hamilton)

hopefully he turns it around and becomes an NHLer but "the future 2C" has been a bust up to this point and this has to be his last chance
To be fair, who else ( that was taken in that part of the draft) would you rather have than Lander? 2nd rounders take a decent amount of time to develop.

His development has been slow (or even non existent I'll give you) at the NHL level, but he has shown very well everywhere else he's been, including being PPG+ last year on an average AHL team.
Also, you could easily argue that Anton's never really gotten a shot at the NHL level. Yes, he's played a lot of games, but rarely has he been used outside of grinding and defencive roles. And let's face it, with now the Oil structure ice time and line usage, the bottom 6 is never going to get a chance to produce offence. Even established talents like Hemsky couldn't succeed in that role.

There's very little not to like about the elements of Lander's game: he's good defencively, can play chippy, is willing to go to all areas of the ice, has a nice shot, and is a good passer.
The worst you can say is he was too weak (though he looked better in this regard last year) and far too conservative/safe in his play at the NHL level. But that means that he'll only be as good as his line mates as he transitions to the NHL game.

I see no reason why he couldn't easily develop into a Frans Nilssen style player

Dazed and Confused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2014, 07:18 PM
nexttothemoon
10 again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazed and Confused View Post
I see no reason why he couldn't easily develop into a Frans Nilssen style player
That would obviously be fantastic because Frans Nielsen would be a perfect #2 C for the Oilers.

I don't think Lander has the upside in his offense or defense to be up to Nielsen's level. That guy is seriously one of the most underrated 2 way centres in the NHL. He's as good or better than the legendary Jordan Staal... except he hardly ever gets any ink.

Cheap value contract as well. Ridiculous to think he's only making $2.75 million for all he does on the ice.

Anyway.. If Lander could become even a shadow of Nielsen it would be a success as he'd be a solid 2 way centre who could play in any situation.

Unfortunately I see Lander being passed in the roster by players like Draisaitl/Yakimov and even Arcobello.

He might have a better shot on the wing but even there, the team likely will go with more physical players like Pitlick, Moroz, Chase, Khaira etc... none of which are NHL players currently of course... but that's why Lander has such a narrow window here to step up and impress.

He's standing on the edge of being pushed out of contention for a roster spot and his waiver status is probably the only thing keeping him on the roster as the Oilers likely wouldn't want to take a chance of losing him on waivers quite yet until they have a prospect come up the pipeline that looks more "NHL ready".

Lander is honestly benefiting from the fact that there is nothing in the pipeline YET that's pushing him out of being in that 13F/14F spot... but that could change in as little as a week depending on how this camp goes.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote