HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Anton Lander

Old
07-10-2014, 12:15 PM
bucks_oil

vCash: 500
I think Lander with two offensive players would be a great fit... perhaps they bring him out of his shell while he covers *** for them.

He's at the age that smart, 2-way center men start to take a step forward... we're impatient, but he's been brought along well. A full year in the AHL was probably the best thing for him.

Let's see...

bucks_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 12:26 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks_oil View Post
I think Lander with two offensive players would be a great fit... perhaps they bring him out of his shell while he covers *** for them.

He's at the age that smart, 2-way center men start to take a step forward... we're impatient, but he's been brought along well. A full year in the AHL was probably the best thing for him.

Let's see...
This is all great, at the AHL level, but he's shown nothing at the NHL. I know it's not easy, but he's shown nothing at all, that's troubling.

I want him to succeed, I like the player, but he has to do something.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 01:29 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
This is all great, at the AHL level, but he's shown nothing at the NHL. I know it's not easy, but he's shown nothing at all, that's troubling.

I agree. You look at his AHL season and see 52 points in 46 games and it looks great. Offensive upside, ready to make the jump. Then you look at his NHL season.

1 assist in 27 games... to go along with 1 assist in 11 games the year before. That's not good enough regardless of where he played in the lineup. That's not good enough for a guy who plays 6 minutes a night. Let alone the 13+ that Lander played. Factor in he isn't particularly physical, isn't very good at faceoffs, isn't a good skater/fore checker... there's not much to get excited for at the NHL level.

He needs to be ready out of camp to make the team. He was a complete non-factor last year in camp and any time he was called up to the NHL.

Lander is a guy that the Oilers could really benefit to have develop into a legit NHLer. He has the skills (in the SEL/AHL) and leadership quality to be the ideal type of 3rd line center. But he's gotta get there.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 04:25 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
I agree. You look at his AHL season and see 52 points in 46 games and it looks great. Offensive upside, ready to make the jump. Then you look at his NHL season.

1 assist in 27 games... to go along with 1 assist in 11 games the year before. That's not good enough regardless of where he played in the lineup. That's not good enough for a guy who plays 6 minutes a night. Let alone the 13+ that Lander played. Factor in he isn't particularly physical, isn't very good at faceoffs, isn't a good skater/fore checker... there's not much to get excited for at the NHL level.

He needs to be ready out of camp to make the team. He was a complete non-factor last year in camp and any time he was called up to the NHL.

Lander is a guy that the Oilers could really benefit to have develop into a legit NHLer. He has the skills (in the SEL/AHL) and leadership quality to be the ideal type of 3rd line center. But he's gotta get there.
That was the big concern for me. There was a spot to just take, I mean they only kept Will Acton because Lander didn't take the job, they waived him to the minors as soon as they could, basically.

I agree with you, Lander could be that surprise guy that comes in, contributes and finds his place on this team, I just hope he's ready to do it, because there aren't better opportunities going forward.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 09:51 PM
Hitchslap

vCash: 50
I still have some hope for Lander. His stats look a lot like Nick Bonino's at the same point in their careers, and though I generally find player comparisons useless, I do think Lander has some untapped offensive potential. I could see him produce at 0.4ish PPG in the NHL soon.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=105377

Bonino for comparisons sake.

Hitchslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 10:55 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Bonino has played significantly better at the NHL level than Lander has. I really like Lander, but he really needs to take a big step forward this year in his NHL games. He's too good for the AHL, but he hasn't been good enough for the NHL so far. He's got big strong C prospects like Khaira and Yakimov breathing down his neck and if he doesn't come to camp a good step quicker, he could miss his chance to play for the Oilers.

I am pulling for him still. I really hope he impresses at camp.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 11:03 PM
Staghorn

vCash: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Bonino has played significantly better at the NHL level than Lander has. I really like Lander, but he really needs to take a big step forward this year in his NHL games. He's too good for the AHL, but he hasn't been good enough for the NHL so far. He's got big strong C prospects like Khaira and Yakimov breathing down his neck and if he doesn't come to camp a good step quicker, he could miss his chance to play for the Oilers.

I am pulling for him still. I really hope he impresses at camp.
Lander is the guy that if he was on the Red Wings he'd be the next great up and comer.... Lots of players are great in the AHL and can't cut it in the NHL. This should be his last chance... He's got to do more.

Staghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 12:28 AM
ManofSteel55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post

He has made great strides offensively in the AHL. How will he ever prove himself at the NHL level if we keep dumping him in the minors?

ManofSteel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 12:38 AM
MessierII

I just don't see an NHL future here with this guy.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 12:48 AM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
meh.

he's on his last chance for me. Lander has until December to prove his an NHLer or good riddance. Patience? yeah, it's gone. oh well.

Patience isn't everything. See: Gagner and Hemsky. We were forever waiting for that next level. it never came.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 01:05 AM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManofSteel55 View Post
He has made great strides offensively in the AHL. How will he ever prove himself at the NHL level if we keep dumping him in the minors?
He had more than 1/3rd of the year to prove himself last year. Jimmi's right. At this point it's on Lander to show that he is ready. There is 2 spots at center up for grabs as things stand now. Lander needs to show he is ready now, or I don't think he ever will be.

Frankly, he needs to come into camp and blow everyones socks off. He's old enough, he's had enough success and experience in the AHL and now is the time for him. He's unlikely to ever get a better chance again.

That Bonino comparison is interesting though.

His 22 year old season just under a PPG in the AHL, and in 26 games in the NHL didn't get a point.
His next year as a 23 year old he put up 18 in 50 games playing 3rd/4th line minutes. Slowly has progressed upwards to a 49 point season this past year.

Lander in his 22 year old season was over PPG in the AHL, in 27 games in the NHL got 1 assist.
23 and after?

Who knows, but thanks for the comparison Hitchslap! Don't need a world beater out of Lander. Just a guy who actually becomes an NHLer.

Last edited by Spawn: 07-11-2014 at 01:11 AM.
Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 09:54 AM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 50
If Lander turned into Bonino, that would be fantastic and sorely needed. I hope he's realized what it takes to do that, though.

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote