HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Utica Comets AHL Discussion - Part XV

Closed Thread

Old
07-10-2014, 01:53 PM
PM
Still retooling

vCash: 500
Some new rule changes to be implemented in the AHL next season. Interesting changes for overtime, it is now going to be 7 minutes of 4v4 and then 3 minutes of 3v3. If no goal is scored there will be a shootout.

http://theahl.com/ahl-board-approves...hanges-p192792

Old
07-10-2014, 01:55 PM
PM
Still retooling

Also congrats to Robert Esche on being named co-winner of the James C. Hendy Memorial Award for the league's outstanding executive.

http://theahl.com/ahl-names-winners-...awards-p192788

Old
07-10-2014, 02:49 PM
Bad Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Misconduct View Post
Some new rule changes to be implemented in the AHL next season. Interesting changes for overtime, it is now going to be 7 minutes of 4v4 and then 3 minutes of 3v3. If no goal is scored there will be a shootout.

Yeah that's really interesting. They can't leave the game alone. Now it's a ten minute OT like the old days, but you play it in a manner that doesn't allow a team to be at its best. 3on3 is no different than the shootout. We allow games to be decided by who has the best 3 players or shootout kings or best goalie vs shootouts, The game is a team game and should be decided by the TEAM. Give me the old rules: a 10 minute OT 5on5, no score, a tie, both teams 1 point. It's the way we decide playoff games. Why give a team with two or three individual stars the ability to outpoint better team efforts?

Old
07-10-2014, 02:58 PM
Bad Goalie

Quote:
Also congrats to Robert Esche on being named co-winner of the James C. Hendy Memorial Award for the league's outstanding executive.

Yes! Kudos to Rob. He has done a magnificent job of handling this situation. The Aud has been brought back to life. It no longer looks like a dingy dungeon. The product on the ice was improved when things looked bleak. He obtained Huskins and O'Reilly on Comets contracts and they made a huge impact on the team's turnaround. The promotions kept the building full until the product on the ice sold itself. With the new scoreboard, 2 large screens with promos and replays, the horn, good concession food and service, and not a bad seat in the house it truly is a miniature visit to big league hockey in a very small city. Can't say enough for his efforts. Thanks to Rob, his partner, and staff hockey has a new future in the Mohawk Valley.

Old
07-10-2014, 03:02 PM
PM
Still retooling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Goalie View Post
Yeah that's really interesting. They can't leave the game alone. Now it's a ten minute OT like the old days, but you play it in a manner that doesn't allow a team to be at its best. 3on3 is no different than the shootout. We allow games to be decided by who has the best 3 players or shootout kings or best goalie vs shootouts, The game is a team game and should be decided by the TEAM. Give me the old rules: a 10 minute OT 5on5, no score, a tie, both teams 1 point. It's the way we decide playoff games. Why give a team with two or three individual stars the ability to outpoint better team efforts?
I always thought the most simple solution to OT games is to just call penalties as they are and not "let them play". 4v3 power plays are killer and would result in most games ending before the shootout. 10 minute overtime and switching sides like in the 2nd period with the long change would help too in my opinion.

Old
07-10-2014, 03:07 PM
PRNuck
Sell the team.

vCash: 833
I wonder how they're going to do it if someone takes a penalty during 3 on 3? IIRC the BCHL used to give the other team a win in that case.

Old
07-10-2014, 03:10 PM
PM
Still retooling

I meant to post this a few days ago but DeFazio's OT winner made the AHL Goals of the Year (around 30 seconds in). I believe Jensen made it last year with his Forsberg shootout move.

http://theahl.com/ahl-goals-of-the-year-p192762

Old
07-10-2014, 03:11 PM
canuck4life16
It what it is-mccann

vCash: 576
Quote:

now we see if the NHL does the same or similar thing.....! Was the OT before like 5 mins then SO?

Old
07-10-2014, 03:15 PM
PRNuck
Sell the team.

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
I wonder how they're going to do it if someone takes a penalty during 3 on 3? IIRC the BCHL used to give the other team a win in that case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck4life16 View Post
now we see if the NHL does the same or similar thing.....! Was the OT before like 5 mins then SO?
The NHL used to have a similar OT...I remember because I was at a game and the other team took a penalty during the 3 on 3 leaving my dad and I wondering what the rule was in this case (see my post above). The Canucks got an extra skater and Nazzy scored the winner on a wicked wrister.

Old
07-10-2014, 03:23 PM
tradervik
Advanced potatoes

Quote:

From the fine article:

Quote:
Full playing strength will be 4-on-4 until the first whistle following three minutes of play (4:00 remaining), at which time full strength will be reduced to 3-on-3 for the duration of the overtime period.
So it's basically 3 minutes of 4v4 followed by 4 minutes of 3v3 for a maximum of 7 minutes OT.

Old
07-10-2014, 03:51 PM
PM
Still retooling

I totally misread that. Seems pretty complicated. Just have 10 minute OT and call penalties normally for god's sake. 4v3 pp almost always end in goals.

Old
07-10-2014, 05:10 PM
me2
Callng out the crap

vCash: 93
Quote:
I totally misread that. Seems pretty complicated. Just have 10 minute OT and call penalties normally for god's sake. 4v3 pp almost always end in goals.
aye. 10 mins 4 on 4.

Old
07-10-2014, 07:16 PM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Would like to see a 10-min OT instead, with 5 mins of 4v4 and the rest 3v3... better chance of having the game end before a shootout IMO though it's still an interesting change.

Quote:

Good for him - he was part of the group that brought hockey back to Utica. Congrats to Rob and his staff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
I think the NHL just lets the other team have an extra man on the ice instead of going to 3on2. My guess is it would be the same here.

Old
07-11-2014, 11:34 AM
DCantheDDad
DisplacedNuckfan

vCash: 265
Quote:
I always thought the most simple solution to OT games is to just call penalties as they are and not "let them play". 4v3 power plays are killer and would result in most games ending before the shootout. 10 minute overtime and switching sides like in the 2nd period with the long change would help too in my opinion.
If only the refs could call penalties as they are, no matter when in the game/season it is. Yes, for the first while, there would be lots of powerplays. Guess what, THE TEAMS ARE DESERVING OF THE PENALTIES!!!! And don't get me started on even up calls.

It will be interesting to see how the overtime works. 3 on 3 sounds like it could lead to some pretty exciting goals / moves.

Old
07-14-2014, 02:55 AM
me2
Callng out the crap

vCash: 93
Anyone want to do a prospective Comets lineup? I'm assuming Gaunce, Jensen, Shinkaruk, Fox, Kenins etc are in the AHL this year.

Old
07-14-2014, 01:53 PM
Bad Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
Anyone want to do a prospective Comets lineup? I'm assuming Gaunce, Jensen, Shinkaruk, Fox, Kenins etc are in the AHL this year.
See post #78 on this thread. It will show you all the guys most likely to be in camp. The roster will come from them. I am not going to suggest the actual roster from that list. A couple guys may be in Vancouver when the Canucks break camp. Someone may be traded. New guys could be added to this list via trades, signings, PTOs. In the end some of these guys will be demoted or whatever, but they will likely only carry a max of 23.

Old
07-14-2014, 06:55 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
See post #78 on this thread. It will show you all the guys most likely to be in camp. The roster will come from them. I am not going to suggest the actual roster from that list. A couple guys may be in Vancouver when the Canucks break camp. Someone may be traded. New guys could be added to this list via trades, signings, PTOs. In the end some of these guys will be demoted or whatever, but they will likely only carry a max of 23.
Good situation to have (unless you're one of the guys getting demoted ) - have guys fighting for a position on the team; rather than getting it by default.

Old
07-14-2014, 07:28 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

vCash: 50
I'm extremely excited to see what Shinkaruk, Fox, Gaunce and McEneny can do in Utica.

Hopefully they can get Jensen and Corrado going offensively as well.

Are there any free or paid streams for AHL games?

Old
07-14-2014, 08:18 PM
jammyrft

Quote:
Laet's take a look at this list of players by position according to last year's program, their Vancouver internet listing, or this year's signing data.

Defense

Sanguinetti (V)
Carrado (V)
Biega (V)
McEneny (V)
Blain (V)
Andersson (V)
Tommernes (V)
Kane Lafranchise (U)
Huskins (UFA ?)

LW Center RW

Shinkaruk (V) O'Reilly (V) Jensen (V)
Archibald (V) Gaunce (V) Grenier (V)
Friesen (V) Lain (V) DeFazio (V)
Kenins (V) Fox (V) Marshall (UFA ?)
Blomstrand (V) Jeffrey (V) Ferriero (UFA ?)
Zalewski (V) Mallet (V)
Kennedy (U) Welsh (UFA ?)
Stuart (UFA ?)

Goal

Eriksson (V)
Markstrom (V)
Cannata (V)

The question mark after the UFAs is because their destiny is still unknown.

That's the list of returning Comets under contract to Vancouver, new Vancouver property coming out of Jrs., newly signed players, and current UFAs who were Comets last season. I know there are more players under Vancouver's watch either in Europe or Jrs. who could end up in camp, but I don't have their names. However, unless there is a real diamond amongst those I don't have on the list, the Utica Comets will come from this list (barring future deals by the parent club in the the next 3 months or so). It makes for some very interesting speculation as to who will be sent to the ZOO and who will be looking for work.

Bump for possible lineup.

Old
07-15-2014, 02:09 AM
Ziostilon

Shinkaruk - O"Reilly - Jensen
Archibald - Jeffrey - Grenier
Fox - Gaunce - Kenins
Friesen - Lain - DeFazio
Zalewski - Mallet - Marshall
Patrick Kennedy

Huskins - Sanguinetti
Andersson - Biega
Tommernes - Corrado
McEneny - Blain
Lafranchise

This is presuming Linden Vey doesn't spend the first half of the season riding buses again.
We still don't know what's going to happen with Benn Ferriero, considering he was a top 6 forward last year.

Old
07-15-2014, 05:29 AM
Yossarian54

This year could be make or break for guys like Mallet, Grenier, Tommernes and co. The influx of young talent in Gaunce, Shinkaruk, Kenins, Fox and McEneny could easily push them to the ECHL permanently.

Old
07-15-2014, 07:51 AM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziostilon View Post
Shinkaruk - O"Reilly - Jensen
Archibald - Jeffrey - Grenier
Fox - Gaunce - Kenins
Friesen - Lain - DeFazio
Zalewski - Mallet - Marshall
Patrick Kennedy

Huskins - Sanguinetti
Andersson - Biega
Tommernes - Corrado
McEneny - Blain
Lafranchise

This is presuming Linden Vey doesn't spend the first half of the season riding buses again.
We still don't know what's going to happen with Benn Ferriero, considering he was a top 6 forward last year.
Utica has a ton of depth at LW... not so much for RW though. If they keep Fox at LW and want to accomodate Zalewski and Kenins on that side someone like Archibald is going to have to switch over.

Vey won't be in the AHL. I think we can all bank on that as he's waiver eligible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian54 View Post
This year could be make or break for guys like Mallet, Grenier, Tommernes and co. The influx of young talent in Gaunce, Shinkaruk, Kenins, Fox and McEneny could easily push them to the ECHL permanently.
I think Mallet is done and will be let go after this year, unfortunately. Most likely the one pushed down to the ECHL with all the new guys coming in. IMO Tommernes is good enough to stay up with the Comets, and with the addition of Sanguinetti I'm thinking McEneny and Blain start with Kalamazoo unless he makes the big club.

Old
07-15-2014, 04:56 PM
Verviticus

vCash: 50
what is the roster limit for ahl teams? obviously not 23...

Old
07-15-2014, 05:19 PM
go comets

There is no roster limit in the ahl, just the game dressed limit. Comets home opener was announced today. Wendsday Oct 22, also home games on Friday and sat the 24th and 25th.

Old
07-15-2014, 05:22 PM
UticaHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
what is the roster limit for ahl teams? obviously not 23...
There is no limit but 23 for practical reasons.

http://www.uticacomets.com/constructing-an-ahl-roster/

Closed Thread