HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vancouver Sports Media Thread. (Mod Thread Update Post 625)

View Poll Results: Do you enjoy listening to the TEAM 1040's Bro Jake Morning Show?
Yes - The Bro Jake Morning Show is my cup of tea! 29 15.34%
No - Enough is enough and it's time for a change! 111 58.73%
I don't care about Sports Talk Radio at all! 49 25.93%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
07-02-2014, 04:11 PM
bobaloo88

vCash: 500
Botch is great, his passion comes thru on 1040 when he yells! Tony G is the best, his voice cracks me up. B-Mac does a super impersonation. Chappy needs to make up with 1040 and come back on the air. Jake is an absolute idiot; its embarrassing - get rid of him, Mr. Team, pleeez! Farhan, Bobby-Mac, Ray Ferraro, Aaron Ward should continue to be staples on 1040. Pratt needs to drop all of his tired catch-phrases, now!

Old
07-02-2014, 04:36 PM
John Bender*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobaloo88 View Post
Botch is great, his passion comes thru on 1040 when he yells! Tony G is the best, his voice cracks me up. B-Mac does a super impersonation. Chappy needs to make up with 1040 and come back on the air. Jake is an absolute idiot; its embarrassing - get rid of him, Mr. Team, pleeez! Farhan, Bobby-Mac, Ray Ferraro, Aaron Ward should continue to be staples on 1040. Pratt needs to drop all of his tired catch-phrases, now!
Botch, bmac, and chapman are all idiots. Chapman in particular. Stick to video games, chappy.

Old
07-02-2014, 04:42 PM
Jimson Hogarth

vCash: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
I'm not sure why Joey Kenward is being brought up, he works for the Canucks and their CanucksTV channel. He's more of a host/presenter than a reporter, completely different job.
As discussed Kenward is a Canuck hire PR hack who burns questions and minutes in press conferences. It's called fluffing and it's done by politicians and corporations all the time when they want to take time away from actual journalists.

No way Kenward should be in general pressers.

Old
07-02-2014, 05:52 PM
TheKottonmouthed

Craig MacEwen or Tony Gallagher?

We need Cam Stewart out West covering the Canucks. I know he's more of a football guy, but still.

Last edited by TheKottonmouthed: 07-02-2014 at 06:00 PM.
Old
07-02-2014, 06:50 PM
oyvey
Fire Desjardins!

The guy whose job it is to tell us whether he thinks someone is a stud or a dud? Botchford is not a serious sports columnist. He writes a gossip column about the sports team. There's a difference. He obviously does very well for himself in this town, which considering his act, isn't that surprising.

Old
07-02-2014, 07:19 PM
Free Edler
Soft.

I had no idea Kenward was participating in scrums and pressers as a 'member' of the media. That's among the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. The guy works for the Canucks. He probably has an office inside the arena.

Old
07-02-2014, 08:01 PM
thekernel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anodyne View Post
The guy whose job it is to tell us whether he thinks someone is a stud or a dud? Botchford is not a serious sports columnist. He writes a gossip column about the sports team. There's a difference. He obviously does very well for himself in this town, which considering his act, isn't that surprising.
He caters to the pitchfork-wielders. That's why you see so many adamant defenders of him saying "I LIKE HIM HE'S NOT AFRAID TO TELL IT LIKE IT IS"

Old
07-02-2014, 10:53 PM
bobaloo88

Botch and Tony G absolutely tell it like it is, they're not afraid to ask the hard questions. Ian MacIntyre is good, as well, providing well thought-out info to 'Nucks fans. How can anyone not appreciate B-Mac's sense of humour?
Someone asked "MacEwan or Gallagher?" Definitely Tony G! MacEwan is a total knob.

Old
07-02-2014, 11:00 PM
John Bender*

Quote:
Botch and Tony G absolutely tell it like it is, they're not afraid to ask the hard questions. Ian MacIntyre is good, as well, providing well thought-out info to 'Nucks fans. How can anyone not appreciate B-Mac's sense of humour?
Someone asked "MacEwan or Gallagher?" Definitely Tony G! MacEwan is a total knob.
Tony G is an idiot. His schtick is just to rant against whatever the Canucks do. He's a total fool. I think he's at the point where he should retire. Him and Blake Price seem to enjoy Canuck failings too much.

Botch is the tool of all tools, but I have been over that time and again.

Old
07-02-2014, 11:00 PM
John Bender*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimson Hogarth View Post
As discussed Kenward is a Canuck hire PR hack who burns questions and minutes in press conferences. It's called fluffing and it's done by politicians and corporations all the time when they want to take time away from actual journalists.

No way Kenward should be in general pressers.
I thought "fluffing" was something else. Maybe I am wrong.

Old
07-03-2014, 11:07 AM
STUMPMcGEE

Grow a spine tony. I remember when you were in the bowels of gm place next to doug mcleans brother and you acted like he was your best friend. Grow a spine tony !!!!!!

Old
07-03-2014, 11:25 AM
bobaloo88

I recall Tony G sparring with Glen Suitor on 1040 regarding the quality of the CFL. Suits was defending his league; all he could say was "Did you ever play pro football, Tony?". Tony G defended his position extremely well. Classic.
Does ANYBODY like/appreciate moj on 1040??

Old
07-03-2014, 11:32 AM
STUMPMcGEE

Quote:
I recall Tony G sparring with Glen Suitor on 1040 regarding the quality of the CFL. Suits was defending his league; all he could say was "Did you ever play pro football, Tony?". Tony G defended his position extremely well. Classic.
I heard Mike Gillis is a huge fan

Old
07-03-2014, 11:38 AM
LolClarkson*

Quote:
Nah. The Canucks could trade the Sedins and Moj would be talking about Seahawks football on the radio the same day. Give him his own weekend graveyard football show and leave it at that.

Listening Betamax ? The Team right now, sucks. Get some new personalities in there. Change some things up.

Old
07-03-2014, 11:59 AM
bobaloo88

Absolutely. Give moj a Sunday a.m. football show. That's it. Done.
Here's a blast from the past - where is Lee Powell?

Old
07-03-2014, 12:02 PM
Alan Jackson

Quote:
Absolutely. Give moj a Sunday a.m. football show. That's it. Done.
Here's a blast from the past - where is Lee Powell?
Until the plug was pulled a few weeks ago, Powell was co-hosting Dan Russell's show on AM 650.

Old
07-03-2014, 07:04 PM
bobaloo88

Thanks for the update, Alan Jackson. Powell would be a decent addition to 1040 - in lieu of Blake Price, for instance, imho.

Old
07-08-2014, 08:41 PM
bobaloo88

Its great to be able to listen to 1040 after 6:00 pm without that tool moj mangling the English language. Farhan is excellent.

Old
07-11-2014, 04:16 PM
PM
Pray for Pierre-Luc

Is it just me or is Team 1040 doing everything in their power to give us zero Canucks coverage lately. It's the friggin development camp for gods sake and we are lucky to get 30 minutes of Canuck related discussion.

Old
07-11-2014, 04:21 PM
Sharpshooter

vCash: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Misconduct View Post
Is it just me or is Team 1040 doing everything in their power to give us zero Canucks coverage lately. It's the friggin development camp for gods sake and we are lucky to get 30 minutes of Canuck related discussion.
To be fair, the Lebron story, the World Cup, the Lions take precedence today. I get what you mean though, but if the Canucks organization can't be bothered to live stream its development scrimmages and only give short clips on their prospects, then does the media need to fall over themselves to do more than the minimum?

I'd prefer if the coverage was greater, but coverage of other stories and sports normally take over in the summer.

It is what it is.

Old
07-16-2014, 10:33 PM
bobaloo88

Ian McLetchie sounds great in the 6-9 slot, covering for moj. Just sayin'.

Old
07-16-2014, 11:42 PM
rypper
#justwillielogic

vCash: 50
Agreed ^.

I've always thought Mclutch is a great fill in and should get a shot at his own show or paired up with someone. Paterson has warmed up to me as well. He's a jack of all trades and fills in whereever they need him, loyalty like that should be rewarded.

Old
07-16-2014, 11:43 PM
Jimson Hogarth

vCash: 395
I've enjoyed both McClutch and Farhan. Can't stand Moj unless he's talking NFL.

Old
07-17-2014, 12:50 AM
Uhmkay
Tryamkin = New Chara

I've been saying for ages that Rob Fai, Ian McLutch and Farhan are all better than many of the people already with their own show.

Rob Fai has filled in many times, done the show solo, and kept it informative, entertaining, and keeps making you think with questions that he asks people to think about. Then he'll do something different once in awhile just to keep it fresh.

Ian McLutch brings some very well thought out commentary, has the ability to listen to opposing views, and not act like an ass because he has a different opinion.

Farhan... He's Farhan. He's not scared to give his opinion, and when he does, it's always well thought out and he'll back it up.

If I had my way, Blake Price would be taking a permanent vacation with Bro Jake.

Dave Pratt would only be saved if we thought Pratt and Taylor could work again.

I used to hate Scott Rintoul, but have since realized it was actually his guests on the morning show that ruined it (IE: Botchford). Rintoul now has the best show, it's too bad it's so late. He has great guests, bring up great points and really gets you thinking about the topics he's on.

It's too bad Rick Ball is too busy doing TV/BC Lions stuff, because he was awesome as well.

If I had my way (With the hosts that are actually available).

6am - 10am: Morning Show (Fai and Farhan Show) "F & F iin the morning"
I think this slot needs a giant boost in the 'intelligence' factor. I want hosts that are really going to dissect the previous nights games and get right to the meat of what happened, what went right, what went wrong, with some great guests with great insight. Get rid of this 12 year old boys humour. It's not funny... in fact, it's barely listenable. There can still be some humour, but make it witty... not stupid and childish. Farhan isn't a hockey guy, he readily admits that, but it doesn't stop him from pointing out the obvious issues and asking the questions everyone listening wants to know. Rob Fai can also keep doing the Canadians thing if he wants with this time slot.

10am-2pm: (Sekeras and B-Mac)
Yes I know that B-Mac isn't everyones cup of tea, but I think he and Sekeras have shown some good chemistry in their crossovers. I think the midday show needs some humour, and B-Mac does bring that from time to time. B-Mac also knows all the guests and Sekeras will ensure that good questions are asked while B-Mac can poke a little fun.

2pm - 6pm (Pratt and Taylor)
The only reason I'm suggesting Pratt is to simply give this show one more try due to its popularity in the past. This is the only thing that is saving Pratt, otherwise it very quickly becomes the Rintoul and Taylor show.

6pm - 9pm (Moj and Rintoul)
Again, I know not everyone likes the Moj, but he does know his football. I also think that he and Rintoul could work because they would likely hold different opinions on many matters and bring some good debate into the show.

9pm - 12 (McLutch and Paterson)
I'd be giving these guys this spot for two reasons. As much as I hate Paterson's annoying Radio voice, I do like the points he tries to bring up... it's HOW he says it that's so bloody annoying. These two guys would also instantly become the post game show for the Canucks, which Paterson is already doing anyways, and it would keep Price out of it as well. And from the many times that McLutch has filled in or been a guest on the show, I think he's shown enough to give him a weekday slot.

Again. there are going to be people who hate just about anyone on that station, so you're never going to satisfy everyone, but there are a few of them that are on the air that annoy more people than the rest of them do. It's time to pull a Jim Pattison and fire their worst hosts, and bring in new guys.

Old
07-17-2014, 01:14 AM
John Bender*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Misconduct View Post
It's basically frat house radio. Pratt is on this week with Mitch Berger and it's just one story after another with that frat boy type angle. It's nauseating.

Sekeres & Price are OK. Price is anti-Vancouver Canucks. I think he loves it when they are not playing well. I find him annoying. Sekeres is ok, but needs nasal passage surgery. They also feature way too much Whitecaps talk for me.

Taylor is the best, imo. I hate BMac though. He is too much of a Taylor fanboy.

Closed Thread