HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Canadiens to retire Guy Lapointe's No. 5 jersey

Old
07-06-2014, 03:06 AM
Shootmaster_44

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafar View Post
Saku Koivu is not even in the discussion if we forget that he's recent news.As for Chelios , he didn't play enough here.

Possible candidates would be Aurel Joliat , Toe Blake , J.C. Tremblay , Jacque Laperriere , Tom Johnson and George Vezina.

Also worthy to note that in the current line-up , Subban and Price COULD have this honor if they manage to win a cup or at least have a load of great playoff runs and a long career in Montreal.
You don't think Hainsworth is worthy? I realize that his number has likely been retired, but is he not worthy of honouring?

Shootmaster_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2014, 07:49 AM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafar View Post
Saku Koivu is not even in the discussion if we forget that he's recent news.As for Chelios , he didn't play enough here.

Possible candidates would be Aurel Joliat , Toe Blake , J.C. Tremblay , Jacque Laperriere , Tom Johnson and George Vezina.

Also worthy to note that in the current line-up , Subban and Price COULD have this honor if they manage to win a cup or at least have a load of great playoff runs and a long career in Montreal.
If memory serves...he was on the ice with Beliveau, wearing his #4 when #4 was retired. I believed at the time he was being honoured as well.

Here he is some 10 + years later (about 30 years ago)

You can tell why he starred in the league at 140 lb....

Last edited by Crosbyfan: 07-06-2014 at 08:10 AM.
Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 10:43 PM
Megahab

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysCyYoung View Post
Wendel Clark's number wasn't retired.

And quite frankly I think it's a little overkill that the Habs have so many retired numbers. They should demand the highest pinnacle of excellence. Making the Hall of Fame shouldn't be sufficient as a standard for an organization with such a successful, illustrious past.

For instance, former players such as Bob Gainey having their numbers retired? That's lowering the bar far too low IMO.
Right, Clark's number is honoured though, which is pretty much the same sentiment.

What is the argument against Gainey's number being retired? He is one of the greatest defensive forwards of all-time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
If memory serves...he was on the ice with Beliveau, wearing his #4 when #4 was retired. I believed at the time he was being honoured as well.

Here he is some 10 + years later (about 30 years ago)

You can tell why he starred in the league at 140 lb....

I hope this is not a stupid question, but did Joliat fall down on purpose those two times?

Megahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 10:52 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megahab View Post
I hope this is not a stupid question, but did Joliat fall down on purpose those two times?
Dont believe so, no. And good for him, at that age, game and as spry as ever. Proud. "So what" attitude. Pretty cool.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 10:55 AM
Megahab

I felt bad for him after the first fall. But after the second fall, I thought he fell on purpose because he skated right into the red carpet.

Megahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 08:52 PM
DJ Man

He was trying to draw a tripping penalty, I think.

DJ Man is offline   Reply With Quote