HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > ECHL and other Minor Pro Leagues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Central Hockey League - The Slow Spin Down the Bowl Continues

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-03-2014, 08:26 AM
  #301
JDogindy
Registered User
 
JDogindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Country: United States
Posts: 121
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripham23232 View Post
Before you kill the guy for making an estimated guess, perhaps you should purchase a few grains of salt before thinking the CHL published attendance numbers are the end all be all gospel...

If you're looking to discuss attendance, go back a few pages in the discussion. Quite a lengthy back and forth is there on how much fluff is pumped into those.
Thanks.

Look, I know my median guess was low, but the thing is, sometimes attendance figures are artificially enhanced because some groups track the number of tickets sold as opposed to actually counting those that did attend. And there are a few teams (Denver, Brampton, & especially Arizona) that would love to have that average because there is a stark difference between an 1800 average and a 2500 average in terms of popularity and revenue.

JDogindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2014, 09:39 AM
  #302
Avsrule2002
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 54
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDogindy View Post
Thanks.

Look, I know my median guess was low, but the thing is, sometimes attendance figures are artificially enhanced because some groups track the number of tickets sold as opposed to actually counting those that did attend. And there are a few teams (Denver, Brampton, & especially Arizona) that would love to have that average because there is a stark difference between an 1800 average and a 2500 average in terms of popularity and revenue.
I can pretty much guarantee you that Denver counts tickets sold. If they were to count actual attendance, it would be quite a bit lower than than the announced attendance. I'm pretty sure it's the same way in Brampton and Arizona. In general, I think there are very few teams that announce actual attendance compared to tickets sold.

Avsrule2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2014, 02:53 PM
  #303
FrancoRussianAlaskan
Liter-a-cola
 
FrancoRussianAlaskan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pensacola, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,503
vCash: 500
They probably count total out, not just sold. Total out counts comps and sold.

FrancoRussianAlaskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2014, 01:10 PM
  #304
Avsrule2002
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 54
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancoRussianAlaskan View Post
They probably count total out, not just sold. Total out counts comps and sold.
Yes, that's what I should have said instead of sold.

Avsrule2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2014, 09:14 AM
  #305
StingraysFan
Registered User
 
StingraysFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 14
vCash: 500
Has the CHL released their schedule yet? The season is 2.5 months away.

StingraysFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2014, 09:04 PM
  #306
mfrerkes
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 290
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StingraysFan View Post
Has the CHL released their schedule yet? The season is 2.5 months away.
I still haven't heard a straight answer on whether Casper is joining the league. There's also been some speculation that investors might attempt to resurrect Saint Charles. This league is a joke. It just needs to die.

mfrerkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2014, 07:50 AM
  #307
CrazyEddie20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 412
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancoRussianAlaskan View Post
They probably count total out, not just sold. Total out counts comps and sold.
What figure do you give out in Pensacola? And how much do you inflate it before giving it to the off-ice officials and media?

CrazyEddie20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2014, 02:33 PM
  #308
mk80
Registered User
 
mk80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 197
vCash: 500
So I've heard a rumor the Chill will be bought and revived for the upcoming season. I don't know who would want to throw money into that drain, especially since at this point it would be hard to even salvage the small percent of fans they had. Now I have no idea how credible the rumor is as it was mentioned in passing, but just wanted to throw it there.

mk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2014, 11:17 PM
  #309
mfrerkes
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 290
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk80 View Post
So I've heard a rumor the Chill will be bought and revived for the upcoming season. I don't know who would want to throw money into that drain, especially since at this point it would be hard to even salvage the small percent of fans they had. Now I have no idea how credible the rumor is as it was mentioned in passing, but just wanted to throw it there.
I've heard the very same rumor on other forums. The CHL likes to recycle its disasters, so this would not surprise me one bit. Between the Otters and the Chill, it should be abundantly clear that AA hockey is a losing proposition in an NHL market like Saint Louis.

But, if another fool desires to be parted from his or her money, who is going to stop them? Certainly not the CHL.

mfrerkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2014, 02:09 PM
  #310
paul-laus
Registered User
 
paul-laus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 220
vCash: 500
Dear lord. So its a done deal that the CHL is now gonna drop below the all important 10 team mark. Pathetic.

paul-laus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2014, 09:19 PM
  #311
StingraysFan
Registered User
 
StingraysFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 14
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul-laus View Post
Dear lord. So its a done deal that the CHL is now gonna drop below the all important 10 team mark. Pathetic.
The St. Charles Chill website has been deleted. I just went there and it just showed a GoDaddy page that said on 7/27 the website was deleted or suspended awaiting renewal.

StingraysFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2014, 11:17 AM
  #312
JDogindy
Registered User
 
JDogindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Country: United States
Posts: 121
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul-laus View Post
Dear lord. So its a done deal that the CHL is now gonna drop below the all important 10 team mark. Pathetic.
Considering they haven't made their schedule yet, there might be a possibility they won't have a 2014-15 season.

JDogindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2014, 01:15 PM
  #313
paul-laus
Registered User
 
paul-laus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 220
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDogindy View Post
Considering they haven't made their schedule yet, there might be a possibility they won't have a 2014-15 season.
I'd love this, but we all know that they will soldier on and squeak by....

paul-laus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2014, 08:39 PM
  #314
mfrerkes
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 290
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDogindy View Post
Considering they haven't made their schedule yet, there might be a possibility they won't have a 2014-15 season.
I think there's probably some frantic behind-the-scenes activity to create a tenth team for this season. Where that team might come from and who might fund it, I have no idea. However, one thing is for sure: A nine-team league will be an absolute scheduling disaster for the CHL, and they can't afford anything like that right now.

More weeknight games equals less attendance. Teams like the Quad City Mallards, who relied on a very weekend-heavy home schedule to bolster attendance last season, will experience a big drop in walk-up sales this season. One team will be sitting out every Friday and Saturday night. All those lost opportunities for ticket sales will adversely affect bottom lines throughout the league.

I wouldn't be surprised if the CHL sets up a "shell team" that plays mostly weeknight home games in some glorified rec center somewhere in the Midwest. That would get them to 10 teams, and it would then ensure the weaker draws in the league can schedule home games every Friday and/or Saturday, reducing the frequency of weeknight games for those clubs.

mfrerkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2014, 08:43 PM
  #315
mfrerkes
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 290
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul-laus View Post
I'd love this, but we all know that they will soldier on and squeak by....
Oh yeah. Even if it ends up being a nine-team league, the CHL will keep their rickety ship on the churning seas. They don't care what happens, because this sorry charade must keep playing out as long as possible.

mfrerkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2014, 07:43 AM
  #316
SenorChifles
Registered User
 
SenorChifles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Nigeria
Posts: 129
vCash: 500
Hey, they could start playing double headers like in baseball. One game at 1 pm and the second at 8 pm - two games for the price of one ticket.

Or have two teams travel to one city for Fri./Sat./ & Sun. - have a round robin schedule and they all play each other two times.

SenorChifles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2014, 02:55 PM
  #317
ForsbergForever
Red Rocket
 
ForsbergForever's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrerkes View Post
I think there's probably some frantic behind-the-scenes activity to create a tenth team for this season. Where that team might come from and who might fund it, I have no idea. However, one thing is for sure: A nine-team league will be an absolute scheduling disaster for the CHL, and they can't afford anything like that right now.

I wouldn't be surprised if the CHL sets up a "shell team" that plays mostly weeknight home games in some glorified rec center somewhere in the Midwest. That would get them to 10 teams, and it would then ensure the weaker draws in the league can schedule home games every Friday and/or Saturday, reducing the frequency of weeknight games for those clubs.
I don't see how this hypothetical mystery team would be able to get the personnel in place in time, let alone market itself. Its impossible for an expansion to be announced in August and start playing games in October even if it is a "shell" team meant only to balance out the schedule. As others have mentioned, this season could be the swan song for the CHL, but it really does seem that the league is too stubborn to die with dignity.

ForsbergForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2014, 06:51 AM
  #318
mfrerkes
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 290
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergForever View Post
I don't see how this hypothetical mystery team would be able to get the personnel in place in time, let alone market itself. Its impossible for an expansion to be announced in August and start playing games in October even if it is a "shell" team meant only to balance out the schedule.
The Quad City Mallards didn't have ownership/personnel in place as late as September of 2012 (the previous owners had bailed that summer) before the league swooped in at the last moment and kept the franchise active. It was a disaster, but the team made it through the season. The CHL is well-known for pulling off these kinds of stunts. They'll do it again if the need arises.

mfrerkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2014, 09:46 PM
  #319
Off da post and in
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 54
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrerkes View Post
Oh yeah. Even if it ends up being a nine-team league, the CHL will keep their rickety ship on the churning seas. They don't care what happens, because this sorry charade must keep playing out as long as possible.
The ship will stay afloat, because the CHL/ECHL merger is slowly becoming a possibility.

Observation, Orlando Solar Bears are now affiliated with only one NHL/AHL package - the Toronto Leafs & Marlies. The Toledo Walleyes are now solo affiliate with Detroit/ Grand Rapids, while Indy hooks up on a solo NHL/AHL deal with Chicago/ Rockford. If I'm not mistaken Fort Wayne now has a solo NHL/ AHL deal with Colorado/ Lake Erie.

CHL wise your beloved QC Mallards now have the solo NHL/AHL deal with Minnesota/Iowa. Now on the other hand CHL's Denver lost it's solo with Lake Erie, which does fit with most people's belief that the Cutthroats wouldn't survive any merger scenarios.

The 30/30/30 model looks to be the trend...

Off da post and in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2014, 04:39 PM
  #320
mk80
Registered User
 
mk80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 197
vCash: 500
I'm actually a bit surprised the league didn't step in and prop up the Chill like they did with the Mallards a few seasons back. However I guess this is the result of the league now being owned by the franchises.

mk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2014, 08:40 PM
  #321
FrancoRussianAlaskan
Liter-a-cola
 
FrancoRussianAlaskan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pensacola, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,503
vCash: 500
Also might have had something to do with QC being a proven market that can draw and St. Charles being pretty much the opposite.

FrancoRussianAlaskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 08:09 AM
  #322
mikelvl
Registered User
 
mikelvl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,868
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrerkes View Post
The Quad City Mallards didn't have ownership/personnel in place as late as September of 2012 (the previous owners had bailed that summer) before the league swooped in at the last moment and kept the franchise active. It was a disaster, but the team made it through the season. The CHL is well-known for pulling off these kinds of stunts. They'll do it again if the need arises.
My brother works for the Mallards and lived through that debacle. He has some interesting stories to tell.

mikelvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 09:37 AM
  #323
NorthStar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 242
vCash: 500
I have to question how long the CHL can survive?? Not sure of if anything with the regular season schedules coming out at all?? Best to let the CHL fold for a while... embarrassing to see that league go from what, 20 or so some years ago to now 9??? ohh

NorthStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 04:58 PM
  #324
Off da post and in
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 54
vCash: 500
I see the Anti-CHLers are about the league being a joke.

Please answer this...Why isn't another league a joke when they have their SF Bulls fold mid-season, and their 'we have no rink, yes we do, ooops but wait 'til 2015-16' LV Wranglers on hold ?

-or-

The SPHL's, "We're going to expand, errrr I mean contract" when Bloomington folds, as the Mississippi Surge & Riverhawks/Mayhem go into hibernation resulting in a league with only 8 teams.

Face the realization that it's the nature of doing business in Minor League sports.

Off da post and in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2014, 11:10 PM
  #325
JeffNYI
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,536
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off da post and in View Post
I see the Anti-CHLers are about the league being a joke.

Please answer this...Why isn't another league a joke when they have their SF Bulls fold mid-season, and their 'we have no rink, yes we do, ooops but wait 'til 2015-16' LV Wranglers on hold ?

-or-

The SPHL's, "We're going to expand, errrr I mean contract" when Bloomington folds, as the Mississippi Surge & Riverhawks/Mayhem go into hibernation resulting in a league with only 8 teams.

Face the realization that it's the nature of doing business in Minor League sports.

Off Da Post And IN ... Blowin up the E!!!

Or, or, how about when that one team missed payroll and that other team filed for bankruptcy and had to be run by the league and then that OTHER team had two totally different owners get lengthy prison sentences a few years apart!!!! What's up with THAT league?

(Incase you're wondering: Ottawa Senators, Phoenix Coyotes, New York Islanders, National Hockey League)

JeffNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:20 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.