HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Newer OT Thread - Earthquake Edition

Closed Thread

Old
07-10-2014, 11:25 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
It sounds like the new plates will be mandatory at time of registration renewal. And I'd bet the price increase is not temporary.
Don't the prices go up every year anyway? At least this time we know why they went up.

Old
07-10-2014, 11:45 AM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
People are terrible animals, though I do think we have to be better then "knee cap them" but I get what you're saying.

Do you have a link to any articles, I know some people there, just curious.

And to play devil's advocate to an extent, if these kids, in that (and any other) go no where town, had something to do besides being ****heads, things would likely be different.
Young adults that live within 1-2hrs of one of the best outdoors playgrounds found in the world(foothills and rockies) and theres "nothing to do"

The mere utterance of "nothing to do" invokes lack of imagination more than anything else.

Virtually anywhere west of Edson is a beautiful place to be. Maybe if some miscreants discovered some better passtimes immediately at their disposal.

Old
07-10-2014, 11:49 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post
No more geek forum here?

I need some excel help...
When I convert my excel file to pdf using acrbat pro it's not detecting the fields that I want to be checkmarks. It's making them text fields.

All the adobe user forums say make the box a square and the wizard will figure it out... I've even tried making it 7 pixels wide and it's still a text field. I have also tried a darker outline to no avail.

I can't manually change them, there are about 100 of them and if i delete the text boxes and insert check boxes that takes forever and then I have to change the tab order...

We have a lot of spreadsheet experts here, any ideas?
Have a look at the thread below it may be of help. I know Excel fairly well but no Excel to another application like pdf very well.

https://forums.adobe.com/message/6055278

Old
07-10-2014, 12:10 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Young adults that live within 1-2hrs of one of the best outdoors playgrounds found in the world(foothills and rockies) and theres "nothing to do"

The mere utterance of "nothing to do" invokes lack of imagination more than anything else.

Virtually anywhere west of Edson is a beautiful place to be. Maybe if some miscreants discovered some better passtimes immediately at their disposal.
You're right, not even close to a young person person. For kids, who don't give a **** about the majesty of nature, they may have a different, and perhaps more destructive, opinion.

You also assume they all want to enjoy the majesty and can get to majesty, this isn't correct.

Old
07-10-2014, 12:23 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
The Links (Spruce Grove, it's Melcor like Lewis Estates just not as uptight IMO)
Sturgeon Valley because its so close to my house and still quite nice

Probably my favourite two. Everybody raves about The Quarry, and it is nice, however I've never played a round there under 5 hours.
I've only played Northern Bear once but from what I remember it was beautiful and challenging.
The Ranch is super nice but its always so busy so unless you can get away on a weekday to play its tough to find a good time.
I've played all these courses except SV.

The Quarry - not a fan. Excellent course design, and haven't had a chance to see the clubhouse (was still under construction when I went), but the fairways are practically pavement. There is a 50% chance you will see sparks fly when your irons strike the ground. They had the right idea with design, but horrible execution, because the base needed at least another 6 inches of dirt.

Northern Bear - my favourite of the bunch, but the most expensive as well. Been there twice this year, and it is in fantastic shape. Challenging course, and they can get nasty with the pin placements. Hope you're good hitting out of the sand.

The Ranch - I'd rank slightly behind NB, but if you're taking cost into consideration, it's probably equal. As mentioned, always busy. Can't remember what hole it is, but from the tee box you can't see that there is a crazy deep valley/pit to the right, 60ish yards from the green. Good luck hitting from down there. It's annoying that there's no warning for that.

The Links - decent, but nothing spectacular. Cheapest one to golf out of the bunch.

Old
07-10-2014, 01:17 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
You're right, not even close to a young person person. For kids, who don't give a **** about the majesty of nature, they may have a different, and perhaps more destructive, opinion.

You also assume they all want to enjoy the majesty and can get to majesty, this isn't correct.
Can't get to? Any healthy person with a half decent mountain bike can get into very interesting and enjoyable areas from Edson. Hell I'm over 50 and a 100K ride on a beat up mountain bike I've had for 10yrs is a walk in the park.

Additionally Edson just happens to be RIGHT on the Via Rail mainline offering up a continent of possibilities and something not available in many jurisdictions anywhere. Some of my most fascinating times as a youth/young adult were taking the trains when I got a chance. Still one of my favorite things to do.

One of the people I met, not even a looker, quiet, reserved first nations fellow, met two Stunning Swedish passengers who were fascinated with him and developed a cough, relationship with him on the train. The time of his life as he put it.. He arrived on the train alone and never was after that...

Anyhoo. look at this.

http://www.viarail.ca/en/fares-and-p...ts/youth-12-25

See the whole country all summer, as many trips, trains as you like for two months for $999. You can even sleep on the trains and work it that way in your scheduling thereby avoiding much extra expense for lodging.

Next, Edson to Jasper- 61bucks one way.

https://reservia.viarail.ca/search/tripreview.aspx

Wow, flip burgers for one day in some greasy spoon and you got close to roundtrip money. Even dirt cheap hostels available in Jasper for those not camping inclined. But 6kids could rent a camping site anywhere in Jasper for 26bucks night. Works out to about 4bucks each. Could stay two weeks at a time like that for minimal expense. Even bring some mountain bikes (storable on train) to get around. Two weeks holiday most young adults in the world would dream of had for the minimal cost of say 200bucks/person including food, camping, transportation. A minimal throw in for gear with places like Canadian tire/ Walmart offering whole starter camping packages for as little as 99bucks.

Any youth or young or young adult in Edson has boundless opportunity immediately at their disposal. Unfortunately the only thing lacking being one iota of imagination to explore the wonders of life and this land.

Last edited by Replacement: 07-10-2014 at 01:24 PM.
Old
07-10-2014, 07:53 PM
Psycho Dad

vCash: 610
These jerkwads are rig labourers being paid far, far more than what they're worth. They're alcoholics coming home to live with mommy and their bs "the world done me wrong" attitude. They aren't being destructive because they're too poor to enjoy life, but rather because they have too much money, too little intelligence, and zero appreciation for anything.

This was a entire group of people laying waste to wildlife. New laws had better be coming to ensure heavy jail time if this ever happens again.

Old
07-10-2014, 08:07 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
These jerkwads are rig labourers being paid far, far more than what they're worth. They're alcoholics coming home to live with mommy and their bs "the world done me wrong" attitude. They aren't being destructive because they're too poor to enjoy life, but rather because they have too much money, too little intelligence, and zero appreciation for anything.

This was a entire group of people laying waste to wildlife. New laws had better be coming to ensure heavy jail time if this ever happens again.
No way Jose....you're wrong. It had to be the wayward kids.

Old
07-10-2014, 08:18 PM
Psycho Dad

vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
No way Jose....you're wrong. It had to be the wayward kids.
Community service, education, and infinite second chances! Why ruin these young folks' lives over a mistake?

Old
07-10-2014, 08:25 PM
Dave
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

Quote:
I voted for version 3 my self, I find version 2 pretty dreadful, looks like an extremely cheesy post card.
Agreed, worst one of the three by a long shot. It looks like someone with no photoshop experience made it.

Old
07-11-2014, 01:52 AM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

Just got back from a trip to Vegas, but I'm here to post about the flight back home.

Was the scariest takeoff and landing I've ever experienced. Plane sat on the runway for an eternity because it was a smaller aircraft and conditions were apparently windy, then during acceleration I could actually feel the plane swerving left and right as the wind was blowing. It didn't help that I sat right next to the wing. It was one of those "oh my god this plane won't make it off the runway and we're going to die" moments for a few seconds in my head. Then, as it took off into the air it was again swerving left and right and it seriously felt like the plane was going to get swept off by the wind and crash into the ground. Things got better for the rest of the flight until the landing, during which the plane again jerked to the side as the wheels touched the ground. Reminded me of the Air India flight I was on from Japan to Hong Kong - they had a channel on the TV which showed a feed of a camera that was mounted on the bottom of the aircraft and everyone could tell the plane was coming in tilted to the right and as we landed the plane nearly tipped right over before the pilot righted the aircraft. That would probably classify as my second scariest landing.

Now I don't know if this was just pilot inexperience or what not but it was decidedly scary. Conversely the flight TO Vegas was smooth as silk during all phases with clearly an experienced pilot at the helm.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
07-11-2014, 02:38 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post

The Ranch - I'd rank slightly behind NB, but if you're taking cost into consideration, it's probably equal. As mentioned, always busy. Can't remember what hole it is, but from the tee box you can't see that there is a crazy deep valley/pit to the right, 60ish yards from the green. Good luck hitting from down there. It's annoying that there's no warning for that.
I believe that is the 4th hole. The Ranch has 3 pretty nice finishing holes as well.

Honorable mentions for me would be Stony Plain, pretty challenging course from what I remember and it was in great shape (to be fair haven't played it this year).

Cougar Creek is about 40 mins west of the city, not overly expensive, and has a nice mixture of holes. Not my favourite course to play but I never say no.

On a side note; does anybody here have a membership at one of the cities private courses? If you're feeling generous about bringing a guest on the course I'll buy the beer.

Old
07-11-2014, 11:52 AM
Philly85
Raps'

Lebron to Cleveland. omg

Single handedly redeems himself. Simply massive.

Old
07-11-2014, 11:59 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 217
At least he didn't make a big production about it this time.

Old
07-11-2014, 12:08 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Lebron to Cleveland. omg

Single handedly redeems himself. Simply massive.
Indeed, crazy and well done on his part, honestly.

Look at Miami, they were in the finals 4 years in a row, think they can even win 20 games next year?

Old
07-11-2014, 12:24 PM
Philly85
Raps'

D Wade might as well retire and just move into the front office, they're garbage now. Bosh to Houston.

I mean... I'm absolutely stunned. Didn't think he had it in him...

great sports illustrated article as well:

http://www.si.com/nba/2014/07/11/leb...land-cavaliers

Old
07-11-2014, 12:32 PM
Ek het lief Woef
woof woof woof

vCash: 128
Nothing but respect for LBJ. Don't know why people are stunned. This isn't the same man he was four years ago. Anybody that's been reading the tea leaves saw this coming.

Old
07-11-2014, 12:40 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Sometimes Miracles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ser Woof View Post
Nothing but respect for LBJ. Don't know why people are stunned. This isn't the same man he was four years ago. Anybody that's been reading the tea leaves saw this coming.
I think people wanted it to happen, but until today, it was hardly set in stone, imo.

Old
07-11-2014, 01:39 PM
Ek het lief Woef
woof woof woof

vCash: 128
Quote:
I think people wanted it to happen, but until today, it was hardly set in stone, imo.
Oh, agreed. Far from a sure thing but everything seemed to be pointing that way. Dwayne Wade a shell of himself, CB overrated and one dimensional, Carmelo was never going to sign there etc. - that team was a lot more than a simple retool away from seriously contending going forward. Only two teams really in the mix from the get-go, so it seemed pretty inevitable IMO.

Old
07-11-2014, 07:36 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Cougar Creek is about 40 mins west of the city, not overly expensive, and has a nice mixture of holes. Not my favourite course to play but I never say no.

On a side note; does anybody here have a membership at one of the cities private courses? If you're feeling generous about bringing a guest on the course I'll buy the beer.
Did Cougar Creek once, nice, but not worth the trip + cost IMO (and it was crazy busy).

As for the private courses, I just looked and saw the Sun/Ron Hodgson CPA (Canadian Paraplegic Assoc.) tournament is already sold out for this year, but they do it at Glendale G+CC. Nice course. The tourney is 300 bucks per person, but there is free food/booze at basically every hole (a lot of micro-breweries/booze companies trying to get their product out there). Every par 3 had a chance to win a car with a hole in one (I think it was 10 bucks for that). Ryan Smyth was the celebrity guest two years ago. You also get a steak dinner out of it, plus silent auction items.

A little pricy, but it's for a good cause, they feed you like crazy, and you get to play a pretty posh course you wouldn't be able to otherwise.

Old
07-12-2014, 06:40 AM
syz
[1, 5, 6, 14]

Ginger ale with Cointreau... surprisingly okay.

Old
07-12-2014, 11:40 AM
Paralyzer
The Oilers Awaken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Just got back from a trip to Vegas, but I'm here to post about the flight back home.

Was the scariest takeoff and landing I've ever experienced. Plane sat on the runway for an eternity because it was a smaller aircraft and conditions were apparently windy, then during acceleration I could actually feel the plane swerving left and right as the wind was blowing. It didn't help that I sat right next to the wing. It was one of those "oh my god this plane won't make it off the runway and we're going to die" moments for a few seconds in my head. Then, as it took off into the air it was again swerving left and right and it seriously felt like the plane was going to get swept off by the wind and crash into the ground. Things got better for the rest of the flight until the landing, during which the plane again jerked to the side as the wheels touched the ground. Reminded me of the Air India flight I was on from Japan to Hong Kong - they had a channel on the TV which showed a feed of a camera that was mounted on the bottom of the aircraft and everyone could tell the plane was coming in tilted to the right and as we landed the plane nearly tipped right over before the pilot righted the aircraft. That would probably classify as my second scariest landing.

Now I don't know if this was just pilot inexperience or what not but it was decidedly scary. Conversely the flight TO Vegas was smooth as silk during all phases with clearly an experienced pilot at the helm.
The pilot is usually trained to the point that even if the plane swerves to the left or right, it can correct itself within seconds. The scariest landings I've ever had was when the plane was landing in Cabo San Lucas in Mexico. The landing strip is smaller than most landing strips, so the pilot had to land with a huge THUD then brake HARD until the plane would come to a complete stop. We were about 3-4 meters away from the end of the strip when we stopped. Now THAT is scary.

Old
07-13-2014, 01:16 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

What's worse than a +34 day. A +34 day when its smoky. (Because of a massive forest fire along the AB/BC border).

I can't open my windows, otherwise my house smells like a campfire. If i keep my windows closed my house turns boiling hot.

I decided to work today to escape the heat and sit in an air conditioned office.

Old
07-15-2014, 12:16 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixed to Ruin View Post
What's worse than a +34 day. A +34 day when its smoky. (Because of a massive forest fire along the AB/BC border).

I can't open my windows, otherwise my house smells like a campfire. If i keep my windows closed my house turns boiling hot.

I decided to work today to escape the heat and sit in an air conditioned office.
Typical day in Edmonton for me. Everyone and their dog has a back yard firepit, good luck opening windows in the even to cool down if you don't like smoke. I wish they would ban them.

Old
07-15-2014, 01:02 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

I've been renovating my garage for the last year or so, takes a while when you don't have a clue what you are doing.

Now for my rant:

The city is renovating all the roads in our neighborhood, from 97 st - 82 st and 153 ave to 144th ave.

They started on our cul de sac yesterday, spanning from about 90 st to 82 st and 153 ave to 149 ave......and they are pretty much done the entire thing already. 2 days to repave all these roads and it takes me over a year to reno my garage (by myself I might add).

What the hell. Now the wife has big ammo for her "procrastination rants" that she lays on me every once in a while.

I otta sue the city for doing such a good job!

Good job city of Edmonton for getting this done in such a quick manner. Very impressive to me, anyways.

Closed Thread