HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hockey Player banned from Johnny's Ice House after being mugged

Old
07-10-2014, 05:02 PM
hockeydoug

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Grimson View Post
They may be vulgar and at times poke fun or even be harsh at some of the organization Rocky, McD, Q, etc (They aren't towing the company line) like CSN or the Trib, Sun Times does. But they do have a valid point about the double standard of firing a girl who had a slip of the tongue and at the same time praising a noted wife beating drunk like Bobby Hull each game. I love Hull as a player but he isn't exactly a good human being. Aside from the late Tim Sassone and Bob Verdi hockey writers in this city are clueless.
I don't care about the vulgarity or delivery, I care about what the message was.

The Blackhawks pay Bobby Hull and they hired him.
CSN hired and fired Collins.
I haven't seen anything other than speculation that suggests the Hawks do the hiring and firing at CSN.

hockeydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 06:14 PM
Procrastinating

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Wow, that's crazy. No locker room keys? I've never heard of such a thing.
I played 1 game at Johnny's before to fill in for a couple of missing players. None of the locker rooms were locked. Multiple people even commented on how stuff has been stolen in the past. The place is a dump.

Procrastinating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 01:22 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

I didn't realize it until this evening. But my cousin plays there a lot - and has for a while - and the stories that he shared are completely in-line with the other first person accounts in this thread (although he's never been banned/suspended himself)...but he echoed what was said in this thread (I happened to be talking to him tonight and mentioned the article).

...this is probably a bit of pile on...but said cousin told me that his iphone went missing from whatever dressing room his team was using - he talked to someone from the facility after the game - and they told him to call back the next day - he called back and sent a couple of emails and they never contacted him at all...and he left it. i should add, my cousin also said his phone was old and he got a new one b/c he had to re-up his plan...so i don't know if his experience was all that disparaging re them. b/c obviously he was fine just getting a new phone.

Last edited by UsernameWasTaken: 07-11-2014 at 01:30 AM. Reason: clarifying the end of my cousin's story was a new phone, not a problem w/ the rink
UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 05:33 AM
ered7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydoug View Post
I don't care about the vulgarity or delivery, I care about what the message was.

The Blackhawks pay Bobby Hull and they hired him.
CSN hired and fired Collins.
I haven't seen anything other than speculation that suggests the Hawks do the hiring and firing at CSN.
The Hawks are part owners of CSN. If you want to believe it's speculation or coincidence that two mostly competent reporters were just suddenly axed after each had a part in something that brought perceived negative light on the Hawks that's your prerogative.

As a part owner of the network it's well within their (the Hawks) purview to make decisions on who covers their team. Just as I'm sure the Sox, Cubs, and Bulls play a role in which people work on their broadcasts.

Edit: I don't think anyone thinks the Hawks or the other local teams do the day-to-day hiring and firing themselves, but I'm sure they have veto power over personnel if they are unhappy with anything that affects how people view their teams.

Last edited by ered7: 07-11-2014 at 05:38 AM. Reason: addition
ered7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 09:43 AM
kuzy

Wow, what an embarrassment for management. I knew the area around johnny's west was bad after several treks there for prospect camps/practice from the suburbs, but I had no idea it's security was so terrible.

kuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 10:49 AM
hockeydoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by ered7 View Post
The Hawks are part owners of CSN. If you want to believe it's speculation or coincidence that two mostly competent reporters were just suddenly axed after each had a part in something that brought perceived negative light on the Hawks that's your prerogative.

As a part owner of the network it's well within their (the Hawks) purview to make decisions on who covers their team. Just as I'm sure the Sox, Cubs, and Bulls play a role in which people work on their broadcasts.

Edit: I don't think anyone thinks the Hawks or the other local teams do the day-to-day hiring and firing themselves, but I'm sure they have veto power over personnel if they are unhappy with anything that affects how people view their teams.
First, Mora wasn't suddenly axed, he just wasn't given his contract extension and worked there for many months after the story broke that he wasn't going to be extended setting off the conspiracy stories. Mora said later himself, that he believed it was probably a monetary decision, that his position was making too much for management. I linked his blog above, and it was a very long time before his position on tv was filled. He believed what the Hawks and McDonough told him. This was a convenient story that plugged neatly into a fun story but nothing was ever proven by it.

McDonough hires ice-girls, puts former playmates out to shoot the puck, flaunts controversial celebrities when they're around the franchise, and hires the colorful Bobby Hull, etc. if you want to believe the Collins' firing was the work of McDonough and his minions as opposed to CSN not doing their diligence when it came to an employee hire, we'll agree to disagree. I'm not sure why you considered Collins a highly competent reporter given the sample size and limited history of her work.

I don't think there's any conspiracy at JIH or at CSN. The Hawks don't give life to rumors and keep a lid on info to avoid all the b.s. like many other organizations do.

hockeydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 11:55 AM
Hawksfan2828

IMO, I wouldn't tolerate such clowns and I would take my business else where.

There are a few in the burbs (Glacier Ice Arena in Vernon Hills and Rink Side in Gurnee Mills).. Murray Bannerman is the director of Glacier Ice Arena, which is pretty cool since he was one of my idols growing up.

I don't know why all these teams just don't sign up in the Burbs - the ice is cheaper, the areas are more safe (you wont get mugged) and the drive isn't as far as you think, and both can be accessed by public transportation.

Hawksfan2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 12:02 PM
STC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawksfan2828 View Post
IMO, I wouldn't tolerate such clowns and I would take my business else where.

There are a few in the burbs (Glacier Ice Arena in Vernon Hills and Rink Side in Gurnee Mills).. Murray Bannerman is the director of Glacier Ice Arena, which is pretty cool since he was one of my idols growing up.

I don't know why all these teams just don't sign up in the Burbs - the ice is cheaper, the areas are more safe (you wont get mugged) and the drive isn't as far as you think, and both can be accessed by public transportation.

Please explain to me how Joe Hockey player living in Lincoln Park would get to Gurnee Mills (30-40 miles away) using public transportation for his 11:00 Tuesday night game? And then home again...all while carrying his gear.

Vernon Hills isn't even close to the city, by car it would take me 40 minutes to get there and I live right by the highway at Addison and Elston. FOr someone deeper into the city add 20 minutes to that trek. Even the closer suburbs are a pain to get to for most players living in the city.

Going to the suburbs is not a reasonable alternative for large number of hockey players living in the city, to suggest otherwise is pretty ridiculous.

STC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 12:03 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

vCash: 50
If I lived in the city there's no way in hell I'm driving up to Gurnee for a midnight game.

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 12:10 PM
Hawksfan2828

Quote:
Originally Posted by STC View Post
Please explain to me how Joe Hockey player living in Lincoln Park would get to Gurnee Mills (30-40 miles away) using public transportation for his 11:00 Tuesday night game? And then home again...all while carrying his gear.

Vernon Hills isn't even close to the city, by car it would take me 40 minutes to get there and I live right by the highway at Addison and Elston. FOr someone deeper into the city add 20 minutes to that trek. Even the closer suburbs are a pain to get to for most players living in the city.

Going to the suburbs is not a reasonable alternative for large number of hockey players living in the city, to suggest otherwise is pretty ridiculous.
You jump on the train and take a bus..... No way is Vernon Hills 40 minutes (as if that is bad drive anyways - its about 25-30 minutes in open traffic.

Honestly I could care less what you do, it was just a suggestion... I'm sure there are plenty of other arenas closer to you - go play there.

I wouldn't play at Johnny's.

Old
07-11-2014, 12:19 PM
Blue Liner

Quote:
You jump on the train and take a bus..... No way is Vernon Hills 40 minutes (as if that is bad drive anyways - its about 25-30 minutes in open traffic.

Honestly I could care less what you do, it was just a suggestion... I'm sure there are plenty of other arenas closer to you - go play there.

I wouldn't play at Johnny's.
With a hockey bag and two sticks? And do suburban buses even run that late at night? Even the Metra has a last train doesn't it? Not very practical, at any rate. Besides, there are closer suburban rinks than that, but I get your point.

Part of the draw of Johnny's as well is the level of competition. It's the best in the Chicago area. But dealing with stuff like this is worth it? That's for the individual to decide.

Blue Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 12:29 PM
Hawksfan2828

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Liner View Post
With a hockey bag and two sticks? And do suburban buses even run that late at night? Even the Metra has a last train doesn't it? Not very practical, at any rate. Besides, there are closer suburban rinks than that, but I get your point.

Part of the draw of Johnny's as well is the level of competition. It's the best in the Chicago area. But dealing with stuff like this is worth it? That's for the individual to decide.
Of course suburban busses and trains run that late - this is the suburbs not the boonies.

All I'm saying is that if this guy at Johnny's is such a clown then take your business elsewhere. Maybe once this clown starts losing business he wont be such a "pole."

Dude is going to be a ******* as long as you keep giving him business.... Hell I wouldn't be shocked if it was staff that was stealing stuff out of your lockers..

This clown seems to have the attitude of "so what, where else are you going to play?" like he's doing you guys a favor....

I wouldn't tolerate that nonsense.

Old
07-11-2014, 12:32 PM
Blue Liner

Quote:
Of course suburban busses and trains run that late - this is the suburbs not the boonies.

All I'm saying is that if this guy at Johnny's is such a clown then take your business elsewhere. Maybe once this clown starts losing business he wont be such a "pole."

Dude is going to be a ******* as long as you keep giving him business.... Hell I wouldn't be shocked if it was staff that was stealing stuff out of your lockers..

This clown seems to have the attitude of "so what, where else are you going to play?" like he's doing you guys a favor....

I wouldn't tolerate that nonsense.
I wasn't being sarcastic. I live in the burbs now and have in the past but have never used public trans in the burbs so wasn't sure how frequent/late the Pace buses ran.

Old
07-11-2014, 12:44 PM
Hawksfan2828

Quote:
I wasn't being sarcastic. I live in the burbs now and have in the past but have never used public trans in the burbs so wasn't sure how frequent/late the Pace buses ran.
I don't take public transportation either, I just see them around late at night.

The Amtrak trains run all night out of Union, I take those sometimes if I'm going to the city and I plan on drinking/partying.

Old
07-11-2014, 12:47 PM
Blue Liner

Quote:
I don't take public transportation either, I just see them around late at night.

The Amtrak trains run all night out of Union, I take those sometimes if I'm going to the city and I plan on drinking/partying.
Good to know. I'm within walking distance of a station where I live now in the burbs and definitely will utilize that. I wasn't sure if they stopped running at any point in the night/early morning or not.

Old
07-11-2014, 12:55 PM
Hawksfan2828

Quote:
Good to know. I'm within walking distance of a station where I live now in the burbs and definitely will utilize that. I wasn't sure if they stopped running at any point in the night/early morning or not.
Yeah, you can just jump on the train and the last stop is Union Station... You get off in the basement and you go from there.

IMO, you should double check your local schedule tho. I know the train by me runs all night..... Although the trains do slow down at night. The train by me comes during the day every half hour or so but at night they only run every one and a half hours.

I suppose it can be a pain in the arse sometimes but you save gas and at least you can drink on the train.

Old
07-11-2014, 02:15 PM
Sarava

Not sure about to rinks or whatever, but the pace busses in Naperville don't run after 6pm. My girlfriend often takes the bus to the train station, so it's a restriction that affects schedules and stuff for her.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 02:48 PM
Hawkscap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
Not sure about to rinks or whatever, but the pace busses in Naperville don't run after 6pm. My girlfriend often takes the bus to the train station, so it's a restriction that affects schedules and stuff for her.

Yeah but All Seasons is just about 1 mile west of the Rt 59 train station. Just far enough to be a pain in the ass to carry bags.

Hawkscap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 02:56 PM
MadhouseOnMadison
Man crush on Amonte

Has anybody complained to the BBB?

You'd essentially be anonymous and I've heard they have a pretty good track record of getting issues resolved. I wouldn't step foot in that hole from the sound of things.

MadhouseOnMadison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2014, 03:43 AM
Tommy Hawk

I understand the Hawks are just tenants there but they really should take a stand that this type of behaviour is not acceptable to them as an organization. If they banned someone because of the color of their skin or ethnicity the Hawks would be all over this with statements and threats to move back to the edge, etc.

Tommy Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2014, 07:13 AM
pvr
Kruger Line=2.5 Men

A few of the players should get one of those hidden cams and video the locker rooms while they're playing. When something gets stolen, and it seems from this thread that it wouldn't take long, review the vid and contact the police. Don't deal with the buffoons at Johnny's at all. I agree with hf2828, it's probably staff stealing the stuff.

pvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2014, 10:41 AM
kuzy

It is stories like this that make me very glad I play at a suburban arena where the people would flip a **** [mod] if anyone even suggested to not lock the dressing rooms

Last edited by No Fun Shogun: 07-12-2014 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Please fully obscure censored words
kuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2014, 01:02 PM
ObeyMashinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzy View Post
It is stories like this that make me very glad I play at a suburban arena where the people would flip a **** if anyone even suggested to not lock the dressing rooms
Exactly. Over 40 rinks in suburbs. Screw Johnnys.

Last edited by No Fun Shogun: 07-12-2014 at 01:18 PM. Reason: QEP
ObeyMashinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2014, 10:27 PM
LBS8844

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObeyMashinter View Post
Exactly. Over 40 rinks in suburbs. Screw Johnnys.
That's simply not how JIH management sees things. Er, that's EXACTLY how JIH management sees things!

LBS8844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2014, 12:08 PM
hisgirlfriday

In light of all the recent headlines, I just freaked out a little for a sec after I saw on twitter that someone said "shooting at johnny's icehouse." Then I realized the guy meant the other kind of shooting.

hisgirlfriday is offline   Reply With Quote