HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Giroux to debut tonight for Phantoms.

Old
04-06-2007, 05:00 PM
iceman42

vCash: 500
Giroux to debut tonight for Phantoms.

http://www.phantomshockey.com/

Quote:
Claude Giroux, the Flyers first-round draft pick in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft, is expected to make his professional debut tonight with the Phantoms when they host the Hershey Bears in a 7:05 start. The Phantoms are also expecting to have the services of defensemen Nate Guenin and Ryan Parent, who are returning from the Flyers.

iceman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 05:27 PM
chthonic

anywhere to listen to this online? looks like 610 has sixers scheduled

chthonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 05:56 PM
hfboardsuser

Definitely looking forward to this. I feel he's got a legit shot at the Calder next season.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 06:02 PM
jmtznr0th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
Definitely looking forward to this. I feel he's got a legit shot at the Calder next season.
I don't think he will make the NHL next season, he needs to put on some bulk

jmtznr0th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 06:10 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Quote:
Really? What makes you say that?

Ex Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 06:45 PM
iceman42

after 1 Phantoms down by one to the Bears, lucky they arent down by more. There are two Giroux's in the game. Giroux is on a line with Ross and Matsumoto, and getting 2nd unit PP time. He hasn't looked out of place, been fast and confident, he will bang, he's thrown a couple of checks, one that drew applause from the crowd, however the camera was following the play down the ice. Parent looks okay, but looks like he played a NHL game last night.

Old
04-06-2007, 06:46 PM
iceman42

Quote:
he'll most likely get his 10 game tryout and then be sent back to juniors.

Old
04-06-2007, 06:51 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman42 View Post
he'll most likely get his 10 game tryout and then be sent back to juniors.
i doubt he'll get even that... it's going to be a tight roster with a ton of youth on it already... if anything they're going to be finding spots for some grizzly vets to help out in the room.

not to mention, Holmgren has been anything but glowing when it comes to Giroux's chances (due to his need to add strength... not his skills).

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 07:11 PM
shamski7

Send a message via AIM to shamski7
Quote:
after 1 Phantoms down by one to the Bears, lucky they arent down by more. There are two Giroux's in the game. Giroux is on a line with Ross and Matsumoto, and getting 2nd unit PP time. He hasn't looked out of place, been fast and confident, he will bang, he's thrown a couple of checks, one that drew applause from the crowd, however the camera was following the play down the ice. Parent looks okay, but looks like he played a NHL game last night.
parent's playing in his 3rd game in 3 nights i believe. phantoms on weds, flyers last night and now phantoms again. wonder how much gas he has in the tank. good experience though

shamski7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 07:32 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
i doubt he'll get even that... it's going to be a tight roster with a ton of youth on it already... if anything they're going to be finding spots for some grizzly vets to help out in the room.

not to mention, Holmgren has been anything but glowing when it comes to Giroux's chances (due to his need to add strength... not his skills).
A lot can change over a summer though. Let's also not forget that when we originally drafted Peter Forsberg, he was only 5'8 and 160 pounds. He grew six inches and put on 30 pounds in two years. I agree though that right now, we just don't have the room in the lineup for Giroux. However, if he puts on a show at training camp and they have to make room for him, then that's a good sign.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 07:34 PM
iceman42

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamski7 View Post
parent's playing in his 3rd game in 3 nights i believe. phantoms on weds, flyers last night and now phantoms again. wonder how much gas he has in the tank. good experience though
yes I know that, thats why I said he looks like he played in the nhl last night. he might be playing tomorrow at 1pm, although I doubt they would do that to him.

Old
04-06-2007, 07:35 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
A lot can change over a summer though. Let's also not forget that when we originally drafted Peter Forsberg, he was only 5'8 and 160 pounds. He grew six inches and put on 30 pounds in two years. I agree though that right now, we just don't have the room in the lineup for Giroux. However, if he puts on a show at training camp and they have to make room for him, then that's a good sign.
right, if he forces their hands, no complaints. i think we're more realistically looking at seeing him coming in the year after... and honestly, he may end up with a year on the Phantoms roster depending on how everything shakes out with this upcoming draft...

if we sign a 2nd line wing to play for the next couple of years and help Carter, Upshall, etc. out... then you could easily slot Giroux after 1 year with the Phantoms taking that roster spot... and hopefully we'd be in a spot where Carter, Upshall, no. 1 pick, etc. are capable of taking responsibility for offense and Giroux can find his spot without having everyone else finding their way around him.

Old
04-06-2007, 07:45 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
right, if he forces their hands, no complaints. i think we're more realistically looking at seeing him coming in the year after... and honestly, he may end up with a year on the Phantoms roster depending on how everything shakes out with this upcoming draft...

if we sign a 2nd line wing to play for the next couple of years and help Carter, Upshall, etc. out... then you could easily slot Giroux after 1 year with the Phantoms taking that roster spot... and hopefully we'd be in a spot where Carter, Upshall, no. 1 pick, etc. are capable of taking responsibility for offense and Giroux can find his spot without having everyone else finding their way around him.
I have no qualms if he has to play with the Phantoms for a year. I think the AHL often gets slagged when in fact it's the perfect place for young players to play to learn the pro game. Now, unless your name is Crosby or Ovechkin or Heatley or Kovalchuk, spending a year down there can sometimes be a God send. Getting 20+ minutes a night to round out your game in the AHL seems to be much more advantageous than only getting 7 to 10 minutes a game in the NHL, especially if you lose ice time to guys named Nedved, Brashear, and Savage (come on man, you know I had to take that dig.....lol)

Old
04-06-2007, 07:51 PM
chthonic

5-1 bears.
eesh.
the bears commentator is absolutely ROASTING philadelphia.

oh. 6-1 now. giroux scores, but the bad one.

chthonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 07:53 PM
Jester

Quote:
I have no qualms if he has to play with the Phantoms for a year. I think the AHL often gets slagged when in fact it's the perfect place for young players to play to learn the pro game. Now, unless your name is Crosby or Ovechkin or Heatley or Kovalchuk, spending a year down there can sometimes be a God send. Getting 20+ minutes a night to round out your game in the AHL seems to be much more advantageous than only getting 7 to 10 minutes a game in the NHL, especially if you lose ice time to guys named Nedved, Brashear, and Savage (come on man, you know I had to take that dig.....lol)
right, and with the salary cap it's much more of a puzzle piece situation... i don't really envision Giroux as anything below a 2nd liner and really being all that effective. thus, he's one of those guys that prolly should go down and tear the AHL a new one for a year and come up in the event of injuries midway through, or something along those lines.

he'll also probably be arriving with no. 1 pick this year (also a wing most likely) showing up as well, which will make it very tight at forward that season... with Knuble, Kapanen, and my theoretical 2nd line wing all coming off the books the year after. ideally i think Knuble can probably sign another contract and be a very good guy on the Richards' wing on the third line... allowing no. 1 pick this year to slide onto the wing with Gagne and UFA Center... meh, deal with those bridges when we get there.

Old
04-06-2007, 07:59 PM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm in a Teacup View Post
Really? What makes you say that?
His development has been eerily similar to that of Gagne's:

Code:
Giroux 

17/18 YO    69 	39 	64 	103  (1.49 PPG)
18/19 YO    63 	48 	64 	112  (1.77 PPG)

Gagne

17/18 YO   53 	30 	39 	69     (1.30 PPG)
18/19 YO   61 	50 	70 	120   (1.96 PPG)
And you likely remember how well an undersized but superbly skilled Simon Gagne did at the year after his 18/19 YO season.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 08:07 PM
BringBackStevens

Send a message via AIM to BringBackStevens
Quote:
Thats the problem with the stupid CHL age rule. It serves little good putting giroux back into the Q after this season, but they have no choice. He belongs in the AHL from now until 08-09

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 09:08 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Really? I had absolutely no idea he was that small when we drafted him. If that's true, I'm shocked he went top 10, even with all his skill. After all, what makes him such a marvel today is that, in addition to his unparalleled vision, he's very strong and impossible to knock off the puck (and will even put a player on his ass while continuing to stickhandle). As a 5'8" 160 lbs. 18 year old, I doubt that kind of physicality was part of his game at the time. Were scouts expecting a growth spurt or something? I'd really be interested to read the scouting report on Foppa when he was drafted... anyone know where I could possibly find one online, by any chance? I know it's an obscure request and probably isn't anywhere to be found, but I figure it couldn't hurt to ask. Thanks in advance.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 10:42 PM
daynus

no forsberg was 5-10,5-11 when we drafted him, 5-8 is not even close. he was that big in bantam

daynus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 11:57 PM
RoDu

Just trying my new avatar

His eyes are supposed to be glowing green, like the Incredible Hulks. *sigh* back to the drawing board

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2007, 12:52 AM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by daynus View Post
no forsberg was 5-10,5-11 when we drafted him, 5-8 is not even close. he was that big in bantam
yea to grow 6 inches in two years is a bad thing, but that may actually explain his foot problems

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2007, 09:58 AM
Flyerzz97

Parent has a goal in this game...but was a -1. Giroux was also a -1. But when you allow 7 goals, even the guy sitting behind the bench would be a -1.

Flyerzz97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2007, 10:11 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by daynus View Post
No, Forsberg was 5'8 because I remember watching the draft in 93 and the folks at TSN couldn't get over the fact the Flyers drafted someone as small as Forsberg. Farwell was calling him the second coming of Mats Naslund and that you just couldn't shy away from a player because of his lack of size. That moment still rings in my head like it was yesterday.