HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agency VIII | All Pens FA News, Legit FA Rumors, Trade Ideas Here

Closed Thread

Old
07-12-2014, 08:00 AM
Lomez
Old School

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
You know, ever since you embraced Brian Burke as the one true hockey god, you've become quite ornery.
This made me laugh.

Old
07-12-2014, 09:46 AM
#1GuinFan

vCash: 20412
Quote:
Penner or _____?
________ = pancakes

Old
07-12-2014, 09:55 AM
mpp9

Quote:
When the Pens won the cup in 2009, they also only had two players in the top six who could consistently (or even more frequently than a lottery win) beat a one on one matchup.

System will make a huge difference. Obviously, having one more guy to win one on one matchups would help too.

BTW, the guy who will benefit the most from the new system, IMO, will be Geno.
I like the changes being made, but if JR doesn't address the major hole in our top 6, he's still not doing right by Sid/Geno. Need that top line player IMO to beat LA or Chicago.

I think Sid will benefit from the changes b/c he's been told for years he has to play at a million miles an hour all the time. I'd love to see him coached up and given completely different linemates. Puck support will allow him to change up how he plays and who fits on his line.

Letang is obvious. He likes skating the puck out of danger vs trying home run stretch passes all the time. And allowing him to get involved in the play without having a breakdown b/c of lack of structure. Getting the best out of him will be huge.

I feel like Geno's always done his own thing. He'll benefit from not having leeches on his line. And hopefully being relied upon more as a complete player.

Old
07-12-2014, 10:22 AM
mpp9

http://www.sportsnet.ca/960/boomer-m...ewskane-deals/

Interview with Friedman. Talks about a bunch of topics.

Around 7-7:30 mark, says he was told it's very likely we re-sign Ehrhoff at some point after Jan. 1st.

At 8:30, they talk about Kane. Says he's likely gone, but are having trouble finding the right deal.

Old
07-12-2014, 10:24 AM
Warm Cookies
Re-sign Kunitz

Quote:
You know, ever since you embraced Brian Burke as the one true hockey god, you've become quite ornery.
I noticed that too, haha.

Maybe people are just reading my posts with Burke's inflection now.

Old
07-12-2014, 10:57 AM
Jaded-Fan

Depending on the price, signing Ehrhoff is not that crazy. I know we have a lot of young defensemen coming up but I am not sure if any are as perfect for the power play.

Again, depends on the price.

Old
07-12-2014, 11:07 AM
iFishyHD
#KesselWatch DONE

vCash: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Depending on the price, signing Ehrhoff is not that crazy. I know we have a lot of young defensemen coming up but I am not sure if any are as perfect for the power play.

Agreed. Depending on this season and how he fits he might take around his same deal. 1 year 4.5-5 is tops I would go. Also depends on what happens with Martin.

Old
07-12-2014, 11:17 AM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post

Plus that Letang guy. The fact we are paying him 7 million a year and he can't be on the 1st PP unit is gross and a major issue.

Old
07-12-2014, 11:17 AM
penguins2946*

I would be fine with re-signing Ehrhoff on a 3 year deal worth $5-$5.5 million per. We have no one in our organization with Ehrhoff's skillset, not even Pouliot. Martin's play style could be replaced by either Maatta or Despres. Re-signing Ehrhoff gives DP plenty of time to make his game more complete in the AHL, and he will take Ehrhoff's spot after his contract expires. It would also let us move Martin for a top-6 winger during the season.

I have a feeling that people will say no, because he's 32 and people over 30 will fall off a cliff instantly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
Plus that Letang guy. The fact we are paying him 7 million a year and he can't be on the 1st PP unit is gross and a major issue.
Uh, Letang will be on the 1st PP unit. He's not a natural PPQB like Ehrhoff is, but he is definitely capable of playing on the top PP. Their PP should be an umbrella with Ehrhoff at the top, Letang and Malkin on the half boards for 1-timers and Sid and Hornqvist down low to get the dirty goals.

Old
07-12-2014, 11:18 AM
iFishyHD
#KesselWatch DONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
Horny-Sid-Geno
..Letang-Erhroff..

I don't understand what you mean.

Old
07-12-2014, 11:19 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
http://www.sportsnet.ca/960/boomer-m...ewskane-deals/

Interview with Friedman. Talks about a bunch of topics.

Around 7-7:30 mark, says he was told it's very likely we re-sign Ehrhoff at some point after Jan. 1st.

At 8:30, they talk about Kane. Says he's likely gone, but are having trouble finding the right deal.
I have no idea how this org would feel about Kane. We haven't heard any rumors connecting them to him, so I'd be shocked if it ever happened at this point.

When they moved Neal and cited character issues, like I said, I heard things, so I wasn't shocked they were alluding to that as a part of the reason he was traded.

However, then they signed Downie and there are similar issues there that could turn into the Neal situation again. So I'm going to be totally honest when I say I have no idea what this org is looking for in terms of character. Perhaps it was Neal's laziness, which I despised, that ultimately got him shipped off.

Kane can be *******, but unlike Neal, you will never question his heart on the ice.

Old
07-12-2014, 11:33 AM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
I have no idea how this org would feel about Kane. We haven't heard any rumors connecting them to him, so I'd be shocked if it ever happened at this point.

When they moved Neal and cited character issues, like I said, I heard things, so I wasn't shocked they were alluding to that as a part of the reason he was traded.

However, then they signed Downie and there are similar issues there that could turn into the Neal situation again. So I'm going to be totally honest when I say I have no idea what this org is looking for in terms of character. Perhaps it was Neal's laziness, which I despised, that ultimately got him shipped off.

Kane can be *******, but unlike Neal, you will never question his heart on the ice.
Yeah I think it's about character on the ice. Downie's a bit of a psycho, but he goes all out all the time. We both agree Neal was just a lazy player. Looked dominant one shift, invisible the next.

Kane just needs to get the hell out of Winnipeg. He's expected to score 30+ playing with garbage. And anything he does off the ice is dissected to the nth degree. He's a young somewhat immature kid who isn't cut out to be in the spotlight in a canadian market. Playing here in a city that gives its players all kinds of rope and where he can hide behind other stars in dealing with the media spotlight, would take care of alot of the perceived issues.

Old
07-12-2014, 11:40 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Yeah I think it's about character on the ice. Downie's a bit of a psycho, but he goes all out all the time. We both agree Neal was just a lazy player. Looked dominant one shift, invisible the next.

Kane just needs to get the hell out of Winnipeg. He's expected to score 30+ playing with garbage. And anything he does off the ice is dissected to the nth degree. He's a young somewhat immature kid who isn't cut out to be in the spotlight in a canadian market. Playing here in a city that gives its players all kinds of rope and where he can hide behind other stars in dealing with the media spotlight, would take care of alot of the perceived issues.
Ya, the laziness is what I hated the most about Neal and Kane is the exact opposite. They both are d-bags it seems, but again, if it involves flashing money and cutting your hair like an ass, calling yourself "The Natural", etc, I am not worried about that.

Old
07-12-2014, 11:46 AM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
Ya, the laziness is what I hated the most about Neal and Kane is the exact opposite. They both are d-bags it seems, but again, if it involves flashing money and cutting your hair like an ass, calling yourself "The Natural", etc, I am not worried about that.
I'd be willing to deal with his off ice BS to see what he can do with Sid. They're tailor made for one another.

It'd be hilarious watching what Kane and Downie would do to Staal and Dubinsky after Sid took a crosscheck to the head.

Old
07-12-2014, 11:56 AM
Randy Butternubs

vCash: 50
Quote:
I'd be willing to deal with his off ice BS to see what he can do with Sid. They're tailor made for one another.

It'd be hilarious watching what Kane and Downie would do to Staal and Dubinsky after Sid took a crosscheck to the head.
I'd love it.

Kane-Crosby-Downie
Kunitz-Malkin-Hornqvist

That'd be quite a pain.

Old
07-12-2014, 11:56 AM
iFishyHD
#KesselWatch DONE

Quote:

If he got Kane I would just love to run this for a game or two to see how it works

Kane-Sid-Downie
Kunitz-Geno-Horny
Dupuis-Spaling-Bennett
Comeau-Goc-Megna

Meaning ship Sutter+Picks and prospects out for him. Nobody would ever want to **** with Sid.

Old
07-12-2014, 12:01 PM
Randy Butternubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFishyHD View Post
If he got Kane I would just love to run this for a game or two to see how it works

Kane-Sid-Downie
Kunitz-Geno-Horny
Dupuis-Spaling-Bennett
Comeau-Goc-Megna

Meaning ship Sutter+Picks and prospects out for him. Nobody would ever want to **** with Sid.

Old
07-12-2014, 12:04 PM
vabm8
Injured Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFishyHD View Post

Kane-Sid-Downie
Kunitz-Geno-Horny
Dupuis-Spaling-Bennett
Comeau-Goc-Megna

Players would also have a healthy amount of fear of the new KCD when playing.

If JR could do that I'd back building a statue of him.

From his youth.

Old
07-12-2014, 12:34 PM
joeyjake5

So you have Kane on this team, What do you give!!! Besides Matta, next year's #1, and either DP or Despre and maybe more. Besides Kane's high cap price, your prospect pool is drained. In reality, Pens don't have a lot of trading chips thanks to the great RS. To get Kane will require a blockbuster trade. Is he worth it is the ?.

Old
07-12-2014, 12:37 PM
iFishyHD
#KesselWatch DONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1GuinFan View Post
________ = pancakes
Despres=Pancakes
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyjake5 View Post
So you have Kane on this team, What do you give!!! Besides Matta, next year's #1, and either DP or Despre and maybe more. Besides Kane's high cap price, your prospect pool is drained. In reality, Pens don't have a lot of trading chips thanks to the great RS. To get Kane will require a blockbuster trade. Is he worth it is the ?.
Harrington? Maatta? DP? 1st? Kane may be a long term solution. Playing with the 2 best players in the world might even clean up his act some. RS screwed us over, but its not like we can't fix it.

Old
07-12-2014, 12:41 PM
mpp9

Quote:
We have plenty of chips to use in a trade. The bigger problem is that we need to move a significant salary or two off the roster to fit him or any other big name.

Dumping Scuderi and moving Sutter+Maatta does it.

It actually gives us around 1.5-2 mil in cap space, which gives us all the room we need at the deadline to address the defense or center positions if need be when you factor in prorated salaries.

Old
07-12-2014, 12:45 PM
Randy Butternubs

Quote:
Well there's Suter, Mata, Poliot, Dumolen, Benet, Archebald, Slobin, Daypres, and Pay Earl.

Old
07-12-2014, 12:47 PM
66-30-33

I would love to keep Ehrhoff for 2-3 more years, let Pouliot get better defensivly in the AHL and bring him up slowly while we have Ehrhoff.

Old
07-12-2014, 12:50 PM
Randy Butternubs

Oh, Kunhackel too.

Old
07-12-2014, 12:52 PM
vabm8
Injured Reserve

I still think people are over valuing Kane, he's ****ing valuable and I covet him, but there are negatives as well. Similar to what we thought we'd get for Neal and then what happened. Someone could really overpay for him, though. The Pens are just in a bad position because of refusing to play the young D for so there's an element of selling low and Shero loving to trade away draft picks so the Pens really need to be keeping them now.

Sutter + Dumoulin + 1st/Fleury
3C (2C if you tilt your head and squint while drunk... he had a good playoffs), a potential top 4 defenseman who is NHL ready (apparently) and a 1st or a starting goalie to help them make the playoffs (I kid, Fleury would totally **** them over and stop a trade from happening). You go up from there, Martin or a better defensive prospect.

Closed Thread