HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Line Combinations

Old
07-11-2014, 07:49 PM
skorf

vCash: 500
Purcell-Nuge-Eberle
Hall-Arco-Yak
Perron-Gordon-Pouliot
Hendricks-Lander-Gazdic

-Drai I think would be better off in juniors
-Purcell really only was successful when he played with talent, I'd try him out with talent
-I'd look for the Hall/Yak chemistry from 2 years ago, and I think Arco or Lander could be just as effective as a C with them then Gagner
-Perron-Gordon-Pouliot can be our defensive zone, "shutdown" line
-4th line has our PKer Hendricks, a decent all around guy in Lander/Arco, and our fighter in Gazdic (who will be on the 4th line, everyone should have him pencilled in most games

Ference-Fayne
Niktin-Schultz
Marincin-Petry

-try to get Ference-Fayne tough minutes against top competition (2 veteran guys that should be above average in their own zone)
-Niktin and Schultz can pair with the Arco or Nuge line, more offensive in nature
-Marincin and Petry is a mix of both offense and defense

PP1
Yak-Arco-Perron
Schultz-Hall
-Hall and Schultz are on the points. On one side you have Arco on the wall with Perron in front (switched on the other side). Yak is positioned in the slot area for his shot and is given free reign to move around and try to get open or support his teammates (if they're moving the puck well, he gets weak side for the one timer... if nothings really opening up, give him free reign to go behind the net for a ring or go hard from the slot to the corner... make the defense react and make a mistake)

PP2
Pouliot-Nuge-Purcell
Eberle-Niktin
-Eberle and Nuge are the primary possession guys and try to create an opening for someone, Pouliot is downlow as the screen and in the corner battles, Niktin mans the point with his solid shot, Purcell supposedly has a decent shot and tries to get open, can also be the second screen for Niktin or a big body in front that Eberle/Nuge can make a nice pass too

PK1
Gordon-Hendricks-Ference-Fayne
-top 2 PK forwards, their role and I doubt anyone argues it, our top defensive D pairing

PK2
Pouliot-Lander-Marincin-Petry
-Pouliot killed some in NY, that's good enough to kill here, Lander has come along enough defensively that he gets the 2nd spot... can then throw out either top 2 lines after we've killed the penalty off. Marincin-Petry play together and are decent defensively

skorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 09:55 PM
Mr Positive

vCash: 1048
I don't see Draisaitl starting on the wing anymore. We have too much winger depth. In that case I see the 3C spot being a camp competition between Arcobello and Draisaitl. If Arco loses he plays RW on the 4th line and takes some of Draisaitl's minutes.

I'm starting to be convinced that we will find a 2C somewhere. My preference is Mueller. He's hungry, shoots right handed, big, and will likely agree to sign short term and low dollars. If he craps the bed, Arco steals his spot. MacT can get someone better by trade if he wants though. I could live with more sacrifice.

I'm liking the Purcell acquisition as a way to seriously challenge the top six. He can slot on any RW spot in the top 9, and should get time on the 1st unit PP. We have good injury insurance on the wing.

I like this D:

Marincin Petry
Nikitin Schultz
Ference Fayne
Aulie.

Mr Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2014, 01:29 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 157
I don't mind Saddlebags on the wing to start the season. It really depends if he will benefit from being sheltered a bit...or whether Purcell or Lander is up to the task of being decent in two zones.

Like Draisaitl-Nugent Hopkins-Perron and/or Draisaitl-Purcell-Eberle?

Anyway, I like the idea of trying to get two lines who can cycle or keep the possession a bit more and leave Hall-Arco-Yak as more of a transition/pressure line.

BoldNewLettuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2014, 04:41 AM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldNewLettuce View Post
I don't mind Saddlebags on the wing to start the season. It really depends if he will benefit from being sheltered a bit...or whether Purcell or Lander is up to the task of being decent in two zones.

Like Draisaitl-Nugent Hopkins-Perron and/or Draisaitl-Purcell-Eberle?

Anyway, I like the idea of trying to get two lines who can cycle or keep the possession a bit more and leave Hall-Arco-Yak as more of a transition/pressure line.
Donno where this idea of Purcell being able to play center comes from? I took a look at his faceoff totals in his career and who his linemates have been in his career.... there's a strong chance that he's literally never played a game of center in his NHL career.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2014, 06:57 PM
skorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Donno where this idea of Purcell being able to play center comes from? I took a look at his faceoff totals in his career and who his linemates have been in his career.... there's a strong chance that he's literally never played a game of center in his NHL career.
Purcell isn't a C... I think Pouliot, Perron, Hall, and probably Eberle would all get a shot at C before Purcell

skorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2014, 11:41 PM
undertow

hall rnh eberle
perron yakimov yakupov
purcell lander pouiliot
hendricks gordon gazdic

petry marincin
fayne schultz
ference nikitin

undertow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2014, 12:31 AM
Oilerglory
Rookie User

Hall RNH Yakupov
Pouliot Yakimov Eberle
Perron Khaira Purcell
Hendricks Gordon Gazdic
Arcobello

Nikitin Schultz
Marincin Fayne
Nurse Petry
Ference

Oilerglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2014, 02:02 AM
MPStoEberletoHall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerglory View Post
Hall RNH Yakupov
Pouliot Yakimov Eberle
Perron Khaira Purcell
Hendricks Gordon Gazdic
Arcobello

Nikitin Schultz
Marincin Fayne
Nurse Petry
Ference
is this a joke... Khaira, Nurse and Yakimov

Last edited by MPStoEberletoHall: 07-14-2014 at 02:09 AM.
MPStoEberletoHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2014, 01:53 PM
Oilerglory
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPStoEberletoHall View Post
What can I say I like McDavid a lot lol

Old
07-14-2014, 01:56 PM
Oilerglory
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPStoEberletoHall View Post
I just can't bare the thought of Arcobello/Lander in our lineup

Old
07-14-2014, 02:03 PM
DeathbyCheerios

Quote:
I just can't bare the thought of Arcobello/Lander in our lineup
Arcobello is a better center then Yakimov and Khaira currently.

Now I know you are an actual troll or know nothing about hockey.

DeathbyCheerios is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2014, 02:06 PM
Oilerglory
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathbyCheerios View Post
Arcobello is a better center then Yakimov and Khaira currently.

Now I know you are an actual troll or know nothing about hockey.
Arcobello is a good Ahl er we need to improve there,if Yakimov or Khaira can make some noise in camp I'd would give them a chance
And whats with the personal insults dude…watch it

Old
07-14-2014, 02:11 PM
DeathbyCheerios

Quote:
Arcobello is a good Ahl er we need to improve there,if Yakimov or Khaira can make some noise in camp I'd would give them a chance
And whats with the personal insults dude…watch it
You say in one thread you are tired of potential and want to get good now. Then in another you essentially make a lineup that tanks us for McDavid and you day that's what you want.

Old
07-14-2014, 02:15 PM
Beerfish

This forum has developed a Toby Peterson, Liam Reddox MacT like love of friggin Arcobello.

Gagner last 19 games 4-9-13 points
Arco last 19 games 2-4-6 points

Actually Arco had 2-4-6 in his last 25 games.

Gagner was a goner and was going to be moved no matter what but if this team waltz's into next season with Arcobello and an 18 year old kid as two of our top three centers to go along with our #1 guy who is slight of frame they deserve what they get.

Just a brutal weakness right now and if they have even one injury we are f'd.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2014, 02:16 PM
Oilerglory
Rookie User

Quote:
You say in one thread you are tired of potential and want to get good now. Then in another you essentially make a lineup that tanks us for McDavid and you day that's what you want.
This roster is messed for this season imo Arcobello and lander will not change that. If big IF Khaira or Yakimov show something in camp I would love to see some functional size in the lineup

Old
07-14-2014, 02:17 PM
DeathbyCheerios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
This forum has developed a Toby Peterson, Liam Reddox MacT like love of friggin Arcobello.

Gagner was a goner and was going to be moved no matter what but if this team waltz's into next season with Arcobello and an 18 year old kid as two of our top three centers to go along with our #1 guy who is slight of frame they deserve what they get.

Just a brutal weakness right now and if they have even one injury we are f'd.
On guy was playing top 6 minutes with skilled players those games, Arcobello was playing bottom six with no body.

Arcobello isn't our 2c solution but at the moment he is our best option and won't be awful won't be great will be average.

Gagner didn't hit and was a defensive black hole. Arcobello was good defensively and hit more then almost the entire team in less games.

Old
07-14-2014, 02:30 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
On guy was playing top 6 minutes with skilled players those games, Arcobello was playing bottom six with no body.

Arcobello isn't our 2c solution but at the moment he is our best option and won't be awful won't be great will be average.

Gagner didn't hit and was a defensive black hole. Arcobello was good defensively and hit more then almost the entire team in less games.
It's funny how some posters try to compare SS's sheltered top offensive opportunities to Arco's limited 4th line/PK minutes.

Still hoping for MacT to land a stop gap #2C

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2014, 02:36 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:

I'm not a big Arco fan or anything but...

Gagners linemates in his last 19 games: Perron, Hall, Eberle, Yakupov.

Arcobellos linemates : Gazdic, Jones, Smyth, Joensuu

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2014, 02:52 PM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

vCash: 50
Pouliot/RNH/Eberle
Hall/Arcobello/Yakupov
Perron/Draisaitl/Purcell
_____/Gordon/Hendricks

Nikitin/Fayne
Marincin/Petry
Ference/Schultz
Aulie

Scrivens
Fasth

Eakins always talks about forward pairings so RNH/Ebs, Hall/Yak, Perron/Drai (I think MacT was talking about Perron playing on a line with Drai iirc). For the defense I put Marincin and Petry together as they looked pretty good as a pairing last season, and I put Ference and Schultz together as I think they would both best be suited for bottom pairing minutes (I cringe when either are in the defensive zone. Moreso Schultz)

Hall2Nuge2Ebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2014, 03:40 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
It's funny how some posters try to compare SS's sheltered top offensive opportunities to Arco's limited 4th line/PK minutes.

Still hoping for MacT to land a stop gap #2C
Yeah the same people who bleated at how bad gagner was when horcatross was here gobbling up all the prime minutes and producing very little.

Also wasn't our big problem last year according to many no scoring from the lower lines of which Arco was part of? (When he wasn't in the minors)

The absolute biggest fill of baloney word on hfboards in general and especially this one is 'sheltered minutes' it gets trotted out when wanting to disparage the person of your choice with very little to back it up especially considering that 1/2 of all games are on the road in which you do not have the last change.

Old
07-14-2014, 03:42 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post

Glad these arguments are coming to light, people need to remember them the next time they want to defend a favorite or kill a non favorite.

Old
07-14-2014, 07:42 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post

/argument

The second Gagner was brought back Arcobello was given absolute **** for linemates and minutes. And people are still wondering why his production mysteriously dipped?

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2014, 01:16 PM
popo

Quote:
Agreed! I assume people love Acrobello from the hustle and willingness to play bigger than his size he showed last season; much in contrast to most of his teammates.
Last season was his audition in a top six role. I thought he showed he couldn't score at the NHL level, and couldn't think the game at the same pace as his high end linemates. Clearly the team felt the same way, as he was moved progressively down the depth chart, and back to the AHL.
He earned himself a vetern AHL contact, that is to say, buriable. But he should get the chance to compete for a 4th line role or press box spot in training camp.

popo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2014, 03:07 PM
manningite

vCash: 50
This might work.

Hall - RNH - eberle
Perron - Arco/LD - Yak
Poiliot - gordon/LD - Purcell
Arco/LD - Hendricks/Gordon - gazdic/joensuu/lander/pitlick

Basically all spots with alternates could be switched up in game depending on match ups and zone starts. Giving LD the best offensive and weaker comp opportunities and sharing with Arco the more neutral ones. Gordon of course would take the tough minutes on both of the bottom two lines.

manningite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2014, 01:53 AM
Reikai
Neutral fan

I'd probably go with this lineup:

Hall - RNH - Eberle
Perron - Draisatl - Purcell
Pouliot - Arcobello - Yakupov
Lander/Joensuu - Gordon - Hendricks
Joensuu/Lander
Gazdic

1st line has chemistry and after the summer of getting stronger im expecting a PPG production from this line, no reason to mess with it IMO. I hope RNH has worked on his FO skills and brings an improved 2-way game next year. I know people probably want Yak on the 2nd line but to me its important to surround Leon with experienced guys. Oilers really dont have any legit options for that 2C position now or even coming up, so they have to make things as easy as possible for Leon to fit in. Yak is also probably a bit too fast for the chemistry to be there with Leon for now. If Yak seems to be on his game they could swap him with Perron to bring more balance and to try him him out with Leon. Anyways, its one hell of an offensive forward group which will make it exciting to watch. Obviously a solid shutdown 3rd line would be a lot better but there's really no players for that. At least they have a great 4th line.

Schultz - Nikitin
Fayne - Marincin
Petry - Ference
Aulie

Obviously try out Nurse when the season starts but im expecting him to play another year in the juniors. But if he proves me wrong he can take a spot there. Klefbom should play another year in the AHL IMO as well as Musil. Simpson is a wild card as well. But for now im thinking all these guys need one more year to see where they're really at. Looking at this defense group, its not horrible but there's some question marks. How much Schultz has improved and how does he play with Nikitin. Nikita should fit the Oilers style really well IMO. Petry could play with Marincin, but its the last chance for Petry to show he can play defense. If he doesnt then i'd let him walk next year and give a spot to Nurse.

Fasth
Scrivens

Competition is there obviously but im optimistic one of these guys can have a good season. Having 2 legit n. 1 goalies doesnt work that well, but with 2 elite backups it could bring out the best in one of these guys.

So all in all, obviously not a contender team by any means but im expecting a very exciting season with a lot of good things to look forward to.

Reikai is offline   Reply With Quote