HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ulanov

Closed Thread

Old
02-17-2004, 12:21 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Ulanov

I don't think that Ulanov is getting enough press for the absolutely incredible job he's done! The friggin guy plays with all heart- he is the grittiest guy on the team. He blocks shots better then anybody on the team, he's a great influence on Alexei Semenov, AND TO BOOT he's really producing offensively with 10 points and a +10 in 19 games!!!!!!! Like really, it's incredible - the friggin guy is scoring at a 40 point clip!!! I really think there needs to be more talk about getting Igor signed to a long term deal; a two-three year contract that pays him 3.5 to 3.8 million over the two to three years (so like 1.75ish/year I think he'd bight on). I dunno - what do you guys think?

Old
02-17-2004, 12:33 AM
MrMackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
I really think there needs to be more talk about getting Igor signed to a long term deal; a two-three year contract that pays him 3.5 to 3.8 million over the two to three years (so like 1.75ish/year I think he'd bight on). I dunno - what do you guys think?
I love Ulie... but no. I say one day at a time. Here are the reasons:

1. We've got Cross and Staios signed to multi year deals

2. The uncertainty of next year could mean that the next time there's hockey there are 3 more guys (Greene, Lynch, Woywitka) competing for a job.

3. There shouldn't be much demand for Ulanov in the UFA market despite his recent performance.

4. I think Ulanov will want to stay here and won't be hard to keep if we choose to do so.

Old
02-17-2004, 12:34 AM
Hemsky4PM

Ulanov is great. He's probably one guys that Lowe gets calls about because he's cheap and gritty.
He's an example of the "hit and miss" record of Lowe as GM of this club.

Hit:Gets Brewer "plus" for Hammer
Miss: Weight to STL (although Stoll and Delaurier might make this deal more of a wash)
Hit: Guerin for Carter and somewhat Hemsky
Hit: Torres (and Izzy) for Niinimaa
Hit: Cross and Dvo for Carter and Pisa
Miss: Comrie
HUGE Miss: Dopita
HUGE Miss: Oates
Miss: Greir
HUGE Miss: Marchant (should have signed him long-term when he had the chance, or at least give him 1.9M to prevent him from becoming a UFA)
Hit: Ulanov

Draft Record: unknown, Hemsky was a great pick. Ditto Greene, Stoll and Delauriers. Mikhnov, Niinimaki and Pouliot...who knows yet.

Old
02-17-2004, 12:52 AM
MoeLemayStays

The best pickup this year. There would be no chance for a playoff spot this year if Lowe had not taken a serious look at Ulanov.

I'm not sure about long term but at least this year he's done more than everybody expected.

He's great in the dressing room and has elevated the play of Semenov. The result is a marked jump in Semenov's development that will pay off in the next few years.

Old
02-17-2004, 01:23 AM
victor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM
Which part, the part where he was forced to sign him, or letting a third rounder go for two firsts and a third?

Quote:
HUGE Miss: Marchant (should have signed him long-term when he had the chance, or at least give him 1.9M to prevent him from becoming a UFA)

Yea, like him missing on a few breakaways would have salvaged the season.

Quote:
Hemsky was a great pick.
What, exactly, has Hemsky done to warrant being called a great pick?

Old
02-17-2004, 02:09 AM
Hemsky4PM

Comrie is a miss because he has what this team lacks: Skill and finish. I'm sure Woywitka will be a good NHLer and we'll see about the picks. Basically the Comrie situation was a "miss" because of how it was handled. It's fair to say that it was a distraction over the course of the year, and the lack of depth at center has been evident all year.

Not signing Marchant was a mistake. I'm not saying he's worth what Columbus signed him for, but he was a SOLID center. There are about 20 other guys on this team that miss on breakaways so I don't see how that's a fair criticism of Marchant. Two summers ago, Lowe could have signed Marchant long-term for less than 2 Million per season and didn't. Then we get nothing for him when he leaves as a UFA, that's poor asset management.

Hemsky is 20 years old, he's still amung the top scorers on the team. He's stuggling for sure, but I'd say 17pts in 17 games at the end of last season and his phenomenal skill makes him a great pick. Also, let's look relatively speaking at other first round picks of this club: Reisen (1997), Henrich (1998), Rita (1999), Mikhnov (2000). Compared to these guys Hemsky was a total success.

Old
02-17-2004, 06:49 AM
Mr Sakich

Quote:
Ulanov is great. He's probably one guys that Lowe gets calls about because he's cheap and gritty.
He's an example of the "hit and miss" record of Lowe as GM of this club.

Hit:Gets Brewer "plus" for Hammer
Miss: Weight to STL (although Stoll and Delaurier might make this deal more of a wash)
Hit: Guerin for Carter and somewhat Hemsky
Hit: Torres (and Izzy) for Niinimaa
Hit: Cross and Dvo for Carter and Pisa
HUGE Miss: Dopita
HUGE Miss: Oates
Miss: Greir
Hit: Ulanov

Draft Record: unknown, Hemsky was a great pick. Ditto Greene, Stoll and Delauriers. Mikhnov, Niinimaki and Pouliot...who knows yet.
the weight deal has been beat to death. In summary, the weight deal reflects the economic reality the oilers were in. Funny how STL now loses 20 mil per year with Doug.

Dopita cost almost nothing and was a gamble. It was a miss but it was the kind of chance a small market team must take.

Oates was a very good move by Lowe that didn't pan out.

Marchant was coming of a 10 goal season and you think Lowe should have given him a raise from 1.2 to 1.9 Mill ??

Is grier any better than pisani?

Old
02-17-2004, 01:17 PM
Matts

I like Igor

and a two year deal after the season wouyldn't be a bad idea. But not for too much money and only if wecan unload FrankenCross. We have kids coming along and we don't need both older guys and I'm picking Igor

Old
02-17-2004, 01:28 PM
MrMackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts
and a two year deal after the season wouyldn't be a bad idea. But not for too much money and only if wecan unload FrankenCross. We have kids coming along and we don't need both older guys and I'm picking Igor
I agree... I'd rather have Ulanov here than Cross. Cross seems to make the smarter plays but he can take a lot of bad holding calls due to his slow foot speed. I believe you can only keep one of the two and if we can dump Cross, I say sign Ulanov to a longer term deal.

Old
02-17-2004, 06:56 PM
SerbianEagle

Quote:
I agree... I'd rather have Ulanov here than Cross. Cross seems to make the smarter plays but he can take a lot of bad holding calls due to his slow foot speed. I believe you can only keep one of the two and if we can dump Cross, I say sign Ulanov to a longer term deal
Agree 100%. Ulanov is a character guy, and one of the toughest D in the league.

Old
02-17-2004, 07:53 PM
Fists of Fuhry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerbianEagle
Agree 100%. Ulanov is a character guy, and one of the toughest D in the league.
He's like the Luc Robitaille of the Edmonton Oilers.... must be something in the water here that Ulie likes..

Closed Thread