HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers biggest need

Old
07-11-2014, 03:46 PM
Starbuds
You like muscles?

vCash: 500
Team needs a 2C until Drei can fill the role. Top pairing defencemen will hopefully be addressed by our prospects. Give our current goalies a chance this season.

Starbuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 03:59 PM
SephF
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerglory View Post
Everyone is so concerned about our 2C

Nobody wants to talk about the elephant in the room,it is not possible to win a stanley cup without a number 1 GOAlIE. We do not have one on our roster or prospect list at this time.
Anaheim ducks are a perfect example,you can have all the talent and depth in the world no goalie no cup.

I think its time everyone gives there a head shake and realize that we are in this for the long haul,making the playoffs is fine and dandy but winning cups is what matters most. We have a long way to go folks.
Tell that to Detroit and Chicago

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 04:33 PM
KCC

Quote:

Nobody wants to talk about the elephant in the room,it is not possible to win a stanley cup without a number 1 GOAlIE. We do not have one on our roster or prospect list at this time.
Anaheim ducks are a perfect example,you can have all the talent and depth in the world no goalie no cup.

I think its time everyone gives there a head shake and realize that we are in this for the long haul,making the playoffs is fine and dandy but winning cups is what matters most. We have a long way to go folks.
Scrivens is (IMO) more than ready to be a number 1. He will finally be given a season to prove it and I think he will do a lot better than Dubnyk did when he got his chance. Anyone has to be better than he was. Poor guy lost all his confidence and is now toiling in the minors. Back to Scrivens, he just seems to be mentally capable of handling the pressure. If you look back to last season, look at all the crap the team and fans dealt with and he held his ground both to the fans and the media. Especially when things got really bad. It may not seem like much to some, but he is strong willed and doesn't sit back and take it. He speaks his mind and is confident. It goes a long way in a pressure filled city like Edmonton. He is just what the team needs right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
Tell that to Detroit and Chicago
Crawford definitely has declined a bit in Chicago, but I still don't think he's as bad as some people make him out to be.

KCC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 04:54 PM
Beerfish

I think people are going to be in for a bad surprise if they think either of our guys are going to stand on their heads like they did when they 1st came in last year. Having said that our goaltending is much better than last year. I like Scrivens but Fasth I'm not sure about. A number 1 guy is always a goal and they'll have to try to get one but our #1 need by 100 miles is still at center.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 05:21 PM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

vCash: 360
Quote:

I wouldn't be worried about that because we still don't have a number 1 or number 2 defenseman. We again have a bunch of 3-4 defenseman.

It doesn't matter what goalie you put on the Oilers right now, we're still going to get outshot, have terrible possession numbers, and will not be able to do more then 3 proper breaks outs a game.

Until that is fixed this team is not a playoff team let alone a Stanley Cup contender.

flashy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 05:37 PM
MettleMcOiler
5-14-6-1

Viktor Fasth

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=707635

Quote:
You guys are going to get a bona fide number one goalie that works extremely hard,” Dwayne Roloson told Bob Stauffer on Oilers Now, shortly after the trade completed. “He’s a good person, he’s phenomenal. I’m sad and upset to see him go… For me, I love the guy. He moves well, he’s a great person on and off the ice and his teammates are going to love him.”

MettleMcOiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 11:11 PM
Wheathead
Formally a McRib

Send a message via ICQ to Wheathead
More coaches like Eakins.

Wheathead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2014, 05:47 PM
GMofOilers

Here's a great read over at LT's

I dont need all the math to prove thats what I see, but for math geeks a good read.

http://lowetide.ca/blog/2014/07/arco...y-woodguy.html

GMofOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2014, 09:27 PM
OilerPensfan94
Connor McGretzky

vCash: 550
2C and a big dman.

OilerPensfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2014, 09:37 PM
hallhopkinseberle

vCash: 50
We need a goalie that can steal a game every series. A Dman that can play 25+ mins and a 2C capable of 50-60 points at least with decent defensive play.

hallhopkinseberle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2014, 09:52 PM
Mr Positive
Four-NinetySeven-Ten

vCash: 2200
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMofOilers View Post
Here's a great read over at LT's

I dont need all the math to prove thats what I see, but for math geeks a good read.

http://lowetide.ca/blog/2014/07/arco...y-woodguy.html
that's a great article. Arcobello needs to get more respect around here. I still say we should look for a 2C, but Arco is a fine fall back option

Mr Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2014, 10:00 PM
McManningite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Positive View Post
that's a great article. Arcobello needs to get more respect around here. I still say we should look for a 2C, but Arco is a fine fall back option
Arco isn't our long term solution but with decent wingers on both sides and a one year last chance contract may get the most out of him.

Not to mention a little puck luck he was missing open net one timers that he would cash all day in the AHL. He was also gun shy with little support after the start of the season.

I guess we'll see

McManningite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2014, 10:31 PM
Oilerglory

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBusDriver View Post
This post is crazy. First of all, how do u even define number 1 goalie? Top 30 in SV%? 60+ GP? 41+ GP? You cant just say "We have no #1 goalie".
how do you define a number 2 centre?

Oilerglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2014, 10:34 PM
Oilerglory

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreAstronaut View Post
Chicago won a cup with Niemi. I feel like that's all that needs to be said.
Niemi has proven to be able to start 60 plus games at a high enough level to win a stanley cup

Old
07-12-2014, 10:36 PM
Oilerglory

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeestaDeteta View Post
Our goaltending should be good enough to get us to the playoffs if other needs are addressed. In order of need:

#2 C
Top pairing D
#1 goalie
I disagree…Montreal is out in the first round this season if they don't have Price.hes more important than their #1 dman in Subban

Old
07-12-2014, 10:40 PM
Oilerglory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilist View Post
I thought Scrivens looked like a #1... a .922 save percentage was among the top half of the league. Roli was a 3rd string until we traded for him, so you can't say his inexperience as a starter disqualifies him.
If Scrivens can prove to me that he can do it for a whole season and in the playoffs I of course would be elated.

Until then our goaltending worries me

Old
07-12-2014, 10:42 PM
Oilerglory

Quote:
Niemi has proven to be able to start 60 plus games at a high enough level to win a stanley cup
So has Crawford and Fleury. we can't just bunch in Scrivens/Fasth with these goalies until they deserve it.

And our farm system is quite pair in the pipes

Old
07-12-2014, 10:50 PM
Oilerglory

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
Scrivens and Fasth might end up as #1 goalies. You definitely don't need a stud to win the cup - you just need a goalie who can, at the very least, be consistent and have the potential to get hot.

E.g. Fleury, Ward, Roloson, Crawford, etc...
None of those guys are studs, IMO
All of these goalies were proven more than our tandem is now. I just think it could be a blind spot for us this season.

Old
07-12-2014, 11:18 PM
KMart27

Quote:
Before the season Niemi won the Stanley Cup he had only played 3 games in the NHL and that season he only played 39 games in the regular season. It wasn't until those playoffs that he proved he could play at a high enough level to win the Cup and it wasn't until the next season he proved he could start 60+ games. The only way Scrivens, Fasth and every other NHL goalie can prove themselves is if they are given the chance to prove themselves. To win a Stanley Cup you need to have a very good team and your goalie has to play well in the playoffs. As long as this team is bad or even mediocre, Lundqvist could be the goalie and still wouldn't be enough.

KMart27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2014, 11:26 PM
McManningite

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMart27 View Post
Before the season Niemi won the Stanley Cup he had only played 3 games in the NHL and that season he only played 39 games in the regular season. It wasn't until those playoffs that he proved he could play at a high enough level to win the Cup and it wasn't until the next season he proved he could start 60+ games. The only way Scrivens, Fasth and every other NHL goalie can prove themselves is if they are given the chance to prove themselves. To win a Stanley Cup you need to have a very good team and your goalie has to play well in the playoffs. As long as this team is bad or even mediocre, Lundqvist could be the goalie and still wouldn't be enough.
Yeah all things considered it seems like the wrong thing to be worried about right now and far from the biggest need.

McManningite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2014, 12:11 AM
Aerchon

Did someone suggest Roli was a third stringer before he came to Edmonton?

LOL.

Roli won the award for best save percentage in the entire league and either started or split (mostly split) time on Minny for years before he came to Edmonton while literally putting up all star numbers.

I had him racking me up points in my fantasy pools for years. Won more than a few of those with him on my roster. I remember how much flak I got from my Oiler buds when I said he was the best goaltender we had since Cujo. Typical Oilers fans don't follow other teams so it was fun to watch them all eat crow when they said he was a nobody.

Aerchon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2014, 12:39 AM
Oilerglory

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMart27 View Post
So you agree with me…our goaltending is unproven

Old
07-13-2014, 12:53 AM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

Our goaltending situation is fine. I'm not interested in giving up all the assets and contract money it would cost for a big name goaltender. I'd rather the money be spent more wisely and go with the two competent goaltenders that we have. We have other far more glaring holes to fill.

Hockey Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2014, 12:57 AM
Tedi

vCash: 50
Quote:
So you agree with me…our goaltending is unproven
Both guys have had good stretches in the NHL. What exactly is proven, I can't recall the last proven goalie the Oilers actually had on the roster…Salo maybe?

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2014, 01:02 AM
Oilerglory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
Both guys have had good stretches in the NHL. What exactly is proven, I can't recall the last proven goalie the Oilers actually had on the roster…Salo maybe?
Yes of course,thats what I mean. We havnt had a good goalie for years and years. We have had a terrible record for years and years. Just because Scrivens plays a portion of one season doesn't make him our answer in net long term…yet

I'm pretty sure MacT is aware of this. Top goalie talent is not our strong suit as an organization its been that way for some time now. Scrivens/fasth hasn't changed that for me.