HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bo Horvat - Part II

Closed Thread

Old
07-12-2014, 12:22 PM
Rain

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassMason View Post
Malhotra had 51 points in 57 games in his draft year in the OHL while Horvat had 61 in 67. Malhotra went 7th overall while Horvat went 9th. Seem pretty comparable to me.
Completely different players.

Horvat was a 1st liner in junior on a good team. Malhotra played a checking line role on a good team. He only really lit it up in the playoffs.

Plus, Manny only had 16 goals in his draft year. Horvat had 33...more than double the amount in just ten more games. Malhotra actually fell in a weak draft because scouts doubted his offense.

Then Manny was rushed to the NHL and played on the 4th line behind Gretzky, Petr Nedved and Marc Savard.

Old
07-12-2014, 01:43 PM
iFan
Horvat to Virtanen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain View Post
Completely different players.

Horvat was a 1st liner in junior on a good team. Malhotra played a checking line role on a good team. He only really lit it up in the playoffs.

Plus, Manny only had 16 goals in his draft year. Horvat had 33...more than double the amount in just ten more games. Malhotra actually fell in a weak draft because scouts doubted his offense.

Then Manny was rushed to the NHL and played on the 4th line behind Gretzky, Petr Nedved and Marc Savard.
Horvat actually started his draft year as a 3rd line shut down center and then worked into the the top 6.

Old
07-12-2014, 02:01 PM
Doobie Dubois

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanaFan View Post
Hmmm, haven't noticed that myself. If anything I'd say fans seem a bit more optimistic about him than they were at this time last year. I think his boost in production this year was enough to get some to see his 2C upside whereas last year people were freaked out by his 61 in 67 regular season (even though he showed good progression throughout the year).

Maybe fans are a bit more tempered in their timelines but I haven't seen too many down on Bo's upside. Of course there's always the next Dallas game to change that back again
No. It's changed. I've seen quite a few down on his total upside. This time last year he was just coming off of a beast playoffs and mem cup. This year he didn't have a very productive wjc and mem cup.

Old
07-12-2014, 05:34 PM
BobbyJazzLegs
Sorry 4 Acting Werd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanaFan View Post
Hmmm, haven't noticed that myself. If anything I'd say fans seem a bit more optimistic about him than they were at this time last year. I think his boost in production this year was enough to get some to see his 2C upside whereas last year people were freaked out by his 61 in 67 regular season (even though he showed good progression throughout the year).

Maybe fans are a bit more tempered in their timelines but I haven't seen too many down on Bo's upside. Of course there's always the next Dallas game to change that back again
I'd second that. IMO the haters are quieter so there isn't as much banter and over zealous arguments.

Old
07-12-2014, 05:56 PM
CanaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
No. It's changed. I've seen quite a few down on his total upside. This time last year he was just coming off of a beast playoffs and mem cup. This year he didn't have a very productive wjc and mem cup.
Maybe but they were there last year too, trust me.

Go check the 2013 draft thread and Horvat vs Miscellaneous prospects threads to refresh your memory on just how many people were down on him last year. It's noticeably better now IMO.

Old
07-17-2014, 10:33 AM
Powder
Watch out, I bite.

vCash: 50
Article on Bo Horvat and a little bit of Brendan Gaunce at the end.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=7...d=nhl:topheads

I don't think this is their year just because of the depth, but I'm looking forward to both making a big push the season after next.

Old
07-20-2014, 11:10 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski Powder View Post
I don't think this is their year just because of the depth, but I'm looking forward to both making a big push the season after next.
We have depth?

Old
07-20-2014, 11:16 PM
Verviticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
We have depth?
yes we do

Old
07-21-2014, 12:01 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
We have depth?
Our 4th line is a passable 3rd line, so yes we do. We lack elite talent, but we do have a good amount of NHL depth.

Old
07-21-2014, 12:09 AM
monster_bertuzzi

An abundance of muckers and checkers is not what I call depth.

Old
07-21-2014, 12:18 AM
Verviticus

Quote:
ok, but the rest of the world calls that depth so i guess stoop to our level

Old
07-21-2014, 12:56 AM
RobertKron

Quote:
Yes, having a whole bunch of what are generally referred to as "depth players" certainly cannot be considered depth. I demand 23 Art Ross trophies.

Old
07-21-2014, 01:55 AM
Horrorshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
Our 4th line is a passable 3rd line, so yes we do. We lack elite talent, but we do have a good amount of NHL depth.
Except on defense.

If 1 or 2 of our top 4 go down with injury - which seems to happen every season - things will start to look pretty ugly.

Old
07-21-2014, 02:04 AM
jigsaw99

no scoring depth but we have them intangibles depth

Old
07-21-2014, 02:17 AM
Pip

Quote:
We have plenty of bottom 6 guys, the place where both Horvat and Gaunce would likely start out.

07-21-2014, 02:44 AM
Norade

vCash: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsaw99 View Post
no scoring depth but we have them intangibles depth
Our scoring depth isn't actually so bad assuming a bounce back year from Burrows.

These stats show the average of a players NHL goals over the past two years prorated for 82 games. Vey is a total question mark so I gave him a pretty obtainable 5 goals for an 82 game season.

D. Sedin (19g) - H. Sedin (15g) - Vrbata (25g) = 59g
Burrows (15g) - Bonino (19g) - Kassian (15g) = 49g
Higgins (19g) - Vey (5g?) - Hansen (15g) = 39g

That's a reasonably solid top 9 with guys like Matthias (18g), Richardson (8g), and Jensen (15g?)who can step in either from the farm or from the 4th line. If we assume that our power play is better this season; that the Sedins aren't as worn down by shot blocking, killing penalties, and defensive zone play; that guys like Higgins and Hansen stay consistent; and that Burrows can play like Burrows again now that he's healed up, I think we have a good shot at climbing out of the offensive cellar.

Last edited by Norade: 07-21-2014 at 02:50 AM.
Old
07-21-2014, 02:47 AM
Tryampled
Registered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassMason View Post
Valid points from Love and LeftCoast. I agree. Which has me optimistic that Bo will end up being the better player. I was just pointing out at one time they were comparable so it's not unrealistic to believe they could end up having similar careers. I sure hope not.
it's very likely he develops into an elite 3rd line shutdown center like Malhotra. his offensive game is nothing special from what I've seen of him.

Old
07-21-2014, 02:49 AM
Peen
Dim Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norade View Post
Our scoring depth isn't actually so bad assuming a bounce back year from Burrows.

These stats show the average of a players NHL goals over the past two years prorated for 82 games. Vey is a total question mark so I gave him a pretty obtainable 5 goals for an 82 game season.

D. Sedin (19g) - H. Sedin (15g) - Vrbata (25g) = 59g
Burrows (15g) - Bonino (19g) - Kassian (15g) = 49g
Higgins (19g) - Vey (5g?) - Hansen (15g) = 39g

That's a reasonably solid top 9 with guys like Matthias, Richardson and Jensen who can step in either from the farm or from the 4th line. If we assume that our power play is better this season; that the Sedins aren't as worn down by shot blocking, killing penalties, and defensive zone play; that guys like Higgins and Hansen stay consistent; and that Burrows can play like Burrows again now that he's healed up, I think we have a good shot at climbing out of the offensive cellar.
so we'll get like 15-20 goals from the fourth line.

that's only 170 goals.

we'd need the best scoring defense in the NHL then.

Old
07-21-2014, 02:54 AM
Norade

vCash: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by peen View Post

that's only 170 goals.

None of that factors in a better power play, a bounce back year from guys who struggled offensively last season, and kids taking another step forward this season. Will we be a powerhouse offense? Likely not, can we break into the top half of the league? I think we can.

Old
07-21-2014, 02:55 AM
Verviticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by peen View Post

that's only 170 goals.

well we got 29 from our 4th line + replacements last year in one of our worst years in history..

Old
07-21-2014, 02:56 AM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski Powder View Post
Article on Bo Horvat and a little bit of Brendan Gaunce at the end.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=7...d=nhl:topheads

Since all the fat prospect talk it is amusing that Horvat talks about losing weight in all of the interviews he does.

Old
07-21-2014, 02:57 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moore Money View Post
it's very likely he develops into an elite 3rd line shutdown center like Malhotra. his offensive game is nothing special from what I've seen of him.
He probably has a better shot and finishing instincts than Malhotra ever had. And he hasn't played a single game in the NHL yet. Plus, Malhotra wasn't even his team top offensive performers; he was 7th on his team in scoring during his draft year.

Horvat has an excellent shot, good backhand, solid puck control using his body to separate himself from defenders and poke checks. He's also the type of player that'll excel in the NHL, has a good mix of power, balance and speed to ward off defenders AND is smart with his passes and positioning.

I don't know if he'll ever be as good as Malhotra defensively (especially in 2010-11, Manny was an absolute rock), but he certainly has more offensive upside.

Old
07-21-2014, 02:57 AM
LiquidSnake

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPH View Post
We have plenty of bottom 6 guys, the place where both Horvat and Gaunce would likely start out.
the problem of course is that majority of those bottom 6 guys have topped out and the Canucks aren't in a position to contend for the Cup.

Room should be made for players that have the ability to grow vs guys that have already brought all they can.

Old
07-21-2014, 02:58 AM
Peen
Dim Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norade View Post
None of that factors in a better power play, a bounce back year from guys who struggled offensively last season, and kids taking another step forward this season. Will we be a powerhouse offense? Likely not, can we break into the top half of the league? I think we can.
I'm just way too skeptical.

Last season, I came in thinking the only way we'd be successful is IF everything went right, and there were way too many if's for me to believe it. We ended up falling flat on our faces.

I'm coming into this season with even more if's in my head, so I don't think we'll be very good at all.

Old
07-21-2014, 05:17 PM
Domecile
Opinion != Fact

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
Room should be made for players that have the ability to grow vs guys that have already brought all they can.
That's the Tank4McDavid approach to next season which Linden and Benning clearly don't want.

Putting out an NHL lineup filled with rookies all at once a-la Edmonton Oiler style isn't all that good a way to groom prospects with ability IMO. Ya want a seamless transition with veterans there to cover up the growing pains, which is what those topped out players provide.

Closed Thread