HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Offensive d-man

Closed Thread

Old
02-16-2004, 07:28 PM
bbad

vCash: 500
Offensive d-man

How about the Oil going for Oleg Tverdovsky- if not for the remainder of this season then for next. At 6'1,205 and 28, he's already had three 50 point seasons and I believe he's an UFA. It would allow us to trade away someone like Jason Smith for either a solid goalie or a decient 2nd line centre.

Old
02-16-2004, 08:09 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbad
How about the Oil going for Oleg Tverdovsky- if not for the remainder of this season then for next. At 6'1,205 and 28, he's already had three 50 point seasons and I believe he's an UFA. It would allow us to trade away someone like Jason Smith for either a solid goalie or a decient 2nd line centre.
He's playing over in Russia and making quite a bit at the same time.. I think he's fairly happy over there and I doubt he'd want to make the jump back to North America to play for a team with little chance at the playoffs.

Old
02-16-2004, 09:32 PM
vb

He looked good in Oiler colours during his short stint in Cape (Fear) Breton, but due to the Reijo Ruotsailanen waiver rule there is zero chance we'd get him for this year. Of course he could be a good, potentially great, pickup...however Lowe's trend seems to stay away from this sort of player (hence trading away Hamrlik, Poti, Niinimaa).

Old
02-16-2004, 09:55 PM
Matts

Well I loved the Yokr trade

but at some point yes you have to wonder if MacT really does want an offensive defensiveman and will he have the pateince to develop one

I mean not everyone can be a Blake or Lidstrom who is steady in his own end and can provice offensive aswell.

Sometimes you are gonna have a guy like Oleg or last year Ozo who are offense first. And then there can be a guy like Kaberle in TO who isn't awful in his own end but let's faceit his value is in making the PP go from the point and in making a great first pass.

YOu see a guy like Bergy who likes to jump up and is fast enough to get back if he's caught. He can also get his shot on net. Sometiems he gets the yips because he's holding onto the puck trying to make a great first pass.

MacT would reather try and get more out of Brew owise then what he can provide or Staios for that matter.

I'll be interested to see how he handles Lynch because Doug is slow and will try and be physical in his own end but right now his gameis offensive.

Old
02-16-2004, 11:35 PM
Oi'll say!

Wasn't that Marek Zidlicky somethin' else in Nashville?

The Rag$ made a big mistake there methinks. I really like Dunham as a goalie but holy man does that kid ever have some slick moves. Mind you he looked like the goat when Ethan came barrelling down his wing HOOOOOOOOOOOOAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Old
02-17-2004, 12:12 AM
Matts

Look at his and Kimmo's +/-

they are PP guys and PP guys only. Not to say we couldn't use one but I wouldn't want them playing ES min over any of 24-21-2-55-5. That's not to discredit the good first pass they can make but you don't get those numbers from sitting around and watching.

Oh wait, maybe that's exactly how you get them

Old
02-17-2004, 12:36 AM
Fists of Fuhry

Klesla?

Anybody think that Klesla can be had from Columbus? His performance hasn't been all that stellar this year but then again, that's everyone on the blue jackets except for Nash. Anybody think we have the goods to pry this guy out of columbus?

Old
02-17-2004, 01:10 AM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts
they are PP guys and PP guys only. Not to say we couldn't use one but I wouldn't want them playing ES min over any of 24-21-2-55-5. That's not to discredit the good first pass they can make but you don't get those numbers from sitting around and watching.

Kimmo is much more than just a PP dman. He is very good in his own end as well. Severly underrated player IMO.

Old
02-17-2004, 08:17 AM
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fists of Fuhry
Anybody think that Klesla can be had from Columbus? His performance hasn't been all that stellar this year but then again, that's everyone on the blue jackets except for Nash. Anybody think we have the goods to pry this guy out of columbus?
I think he's held in as high regard in Columbus as Semenov is here in Edmonton. The Oilers would have to give up far more than he is worth to get him, if MacLean would even consider it.

Old
02-17-2004, 09:46 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts

Kimmi is by far the most under-rated and under-appreciated defenceman in the league outside of the Nashville faithful. It's hard to find any holes in his game. He is positionally solid, good wheels, good with the puck, can hit hard, can QB a pp...

There aren't many players I wouldn't easily deal in order to pick up Kimmo

Old
02-17-2004, 12:20 PM
Mizral

Tverdovsky doesn't have an 'escape clause' in his RSL contract, so even if he wanted to, he cannot come to North America and play in the NHL this year. Honestly, I doubt Tver ever comes back.

Klesla is a tough one to read. Personally, I think he SHOULD be available, but MacLean still thinks he'll be a top 2 defenseman. That's not impossible, as it takes a while for big defenseman usually. In any case, Klesla would be as highly regarded as Hemsky or Torres in Edmonton, so his trade value would be very, very high. I doubt MacLean wants to move him, and if Lowe called him up about it, you'd have to expect a guy like Hemsky or Torres is going the other way.

Old
02-17-2004, 01:14 PM
Matts

Mizral for the love of gawd

we're you on the netwhen the Dys acquired Bertuzzi? YOu value everyone so high, I'm sure you must have thought the Dys would have to give up members of their families to be slaves for Milbury.

And Timmonen hitting hard? That must have started when he hit Ales on Sun. I've seen lots of games where that guy wouldn't break an egg in the corner

I', not saying he's Ozo out there but there's a reason why he's a - in the teens

Old
02-17-2004, 03:22 PM
Mizral

Matts,

Klesla was a 4th overall pick a scant few years ago, and the Columbus organization still thinks he can be a top pairing defenseman in a few years (going by MacLean's comments on That's Hockey (might have been NHL on TSN) about 3 weeks ago). There are very few young defenseman in this league with that kind of upside. Especially right now, defenseman are valued more than forwards, you'd have to imagine a guy like Klesla has terrific value.

Timmonen is a skilled defenseman first and foremost, and you're right, he's no Darian Hatcher out there. He does throw his weight around at times, but overall, he's what you would consider a 'soft' defenseman. That said, he's still one of the most skilled defensemen in the league, and no doubt a solid #2 on any team in this league sans the top couple of teams out there.

As for defense, he's no better than average. But that's pretty good for an offensive defenseman. Timmonen is having a fine year, and is a real force on the Nashville power play.

Old
02-17-2004, 07:01 PM
Fists of Fuhry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Matts,

Klesla was a 4th overall pick a scant few years ago, and the Columbus organization still thinks he can be a top pairing defenseman in a few years (going by MacLean's comments on That's Hockey (might have been NHL on TSN) about 3 weeks ago). There are very few young defenseman in this league with that kind of upside. Especially right now, defenseman are valued more than forwards, you'd have to imagine a guy like Klesla has terrific value.

Timmonen is a skilled defenseman first and foremost, and you're right, he's no Darian Hatcher out there. He does throw his weight around at times, but overall, he's what you would consider a 'soft' defenseman. That said, he's still one of the most skilled defensemen in the league, and no doubt a solid #2 on any team in this league sans the top couple of teams out there.

As for defense, he's no better than average. But that's pretty good for an offensive defenseman. Timmonen is having a fine year, and is a real force on the Nashville power play.
This sounds fair enough... I do understand that he was a very very high pick in his draft and that we would have to give up alot to get Klesla. But I do also feel that time is running out on the blue jackets to start getting competitive, they've been bottom feeders for how long now? Do you think something like this would get it done?

To CLB:
Smyth
Smith
Edmonton's 2004 1st

To EDM:
Klesla
Svitov
Columbus' 2004 1st

maybe I'm out to lunch?

Old
02-17-2004, 07:05 PM
Mizral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fists of Fuhry
This sounds fair enough... I do understand that he was a very very high pick in his draft and that we would have to give up alot to get Klesla. But I do also feel that time is running out on the blue jackets to start getting competitive, they've been bottom feeders for how long now? Do you think something like this would get it done?

To CLB:
Smyth
Smith
Edmonton's 2004 1st

To EDM:
Klesla
Svitov
Columbus' 2004 1st

maybe I'm out to lunch?
Columbus is in rebuild mode, not 'win now'. I doubt they move three young peices for their future (Columbus' 1st rounder could be Ovechkin) for two older guys.

Columbus will be looking for guys to add to their 'young core' of guys.

I could see them moving Klesla for a deal involving Brewer though.

I doubt Columbus moves their 1st round pick under any circumstances, especially since after the 4th/5th pick there is a significant drop off.

Old
02-17-2004, 07:18 PM
Fists of Fuhry

Quote:
Columbus is in rebuild mode, not 'win now'. I doubt they move three young peices for their future (Columbus' 1st rounder could be Ovechkin) for two older guys.

Columbus will be looking for guys to add to their 'young core' of guys.

I could see them moving Klesla for a deal involving Brewer though.

I doubt Columbus moves their 1st round pick under any circumstances, especially since after the 4th/5th pick there is a significant drop off.
Not to argue your point about the rebuild but IMO Smyth is still quite young (27) and has many good years left in him. I also think that his tireless apetite for punishment in front of the net and work ethic will rub off well on a young team. Right now, while svitov may have upside, he is still a question mark and Smyth is a definite upgrade in the forwards department. Losing Klesla may be what is the key issue in this deal however, I don't think that columbus loses anything by replacing klesla with smith at the moment. Seeing as how Smith is our captain, I don't think I have to point out the obvious leadership that he would bring to the blue jackets along with Smyth. Perhaps the question lies in whether or not the BJ's will be able to sign Smith to a long term deal? I'm sure they wouldn't have too much of a problem as they are an american team with (I assume) bigger pockets. Finally, the exchange of the firsts: I look at this as a crapshoot ... Edmonton gets weaker by losing two great players in exchange for youth and columbus gets better with the additions ... both picks will be in same neighborhood when all is said and done..

Old
02-17-2004, 07:25 PM
Mizral

Crapshoot? The Jackets will almost assuredly get a franchise player with their pick. You can immediatly assume that picks' value is something like an Eric Staal. Once you realize that, the deal goes way out of wack.

As for Smyth being young, I agree (which is why I hope the Oilers keep him). However, do they really need a guy to go in front of the net? They already have Nash for this job.

Smith would be a nice pickup for the Jackets, but the cost on this deal is just too high for the Jackets, once you consider that 1st pick.

I think they'd be a lot more interested in Brewer than Smith too. Perhaps something like Svitov and Klesla for Brewer is more apt. Then again, I'm not sure the Jackets would want to trade with the Oilers. They are probobly hoping to pass the Oilers in the standings next year.

Old
02-17-2004, 07:31 PM
Fists of Fuhry

Quote:
They are probobly hoping to pass the Oilers in the standings next year.

I think I would kill myself if that should happen ..

Old
02-17-2004, 07:57 PM
Mizral

Well, the Jackets will be getting better with age, plus they have a better ownership group, and could feasibly jump up payroll wise and pick up a couple of good defensemen. With Nash, Marchant, Vyborny, Zherdev, and possibly a guy like Ovechkin & Malkin to boot, that's a hell of an offense. Denis is a fine goaltender more often than not. All the Jackets need to worry about is beefing up their blueline & getting a better backup netminder.

Old
02-17-2004, 08:15 PM
momentai

I don't know if you want to say Marchant or even Vyborny and mention hell of a offense. The rest of them are sure impressive.

But they need a blueliner more than they need offense in this upcoming draft. As for their backup tender, Pascal is getting nearer and nearer in terms of his development.

Closed Thread