HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chances Shanny Returns Next Season

Old
04-07-2007, 09:56 AM
rangerjoe

vCash: 500
Chances Shanny Returns Next Season

With Shanny's return to the lineup from his injury in question, and the Rangers' return to the playoffs at the time equally questionable, I started thinking that Shanny's play with the Blueshirts could be one year and done. But with them getting big time hot over the last month or so and providing Shanny with the incentive to get back, and now making the playoffs, I'm thinking he's gotta re-up with the Rangers, regardless how these playoffs develop.

What do you guys think?

RangerJoe

rangerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2007, 10:04 AM
Nich

he will be back. and playing less minutes

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2007, 10:11 AM
ChrisKreider20
But y u mad?

Honestly, I'd prefer he doesn't resign. He is a great player don't get me wrong but I'd love to see them take that 4 million and Ozo's cap hit and sign a younger sniper (Drury, Briere, Nagy, Gomez, Comrie)
We could easily sign another leader (Wes Walz)

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2007, 10:13 AM
TheSchwab

Send a message via MSN to TheSchwab
I think he should stay but only if he understands that he should take on more of a leadership role and less dependancy on playing. Let the young guns loose. Possibly sign him for less money too. But idk if he would do that.

TheSchwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2007, 10:24 AM
BigE

He probably stays.

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2007, 10:25 AM
Smashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchwab View Post
I think he should stay but only if he understands that he should take on more of a leadership role and less dependancy on playing. Let the young guns loose. Possibly sign him for less money too. But idk if he would do that.
Could he really have MORE leadership?!?!

As much as I adore Jagr the thought has definetly crossed my mind that Shanahan deserves to be Captain more than him.

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2007, 10:31 AM
Mark Pavelich

Send a message via AIM to Mark Pavelich
He's averaging almost a point per game and now some of you either don't want him back or want him only on a limited basis? Which "young gun" do the Rangers have that will step in and pick up the scoring slack if he weren't around?

Mark Pavelich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2007, 10:33 AM
Plato

vCash: 100000
it really depends on how we do in the playoffs in my opinion

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2007, 10:39 AM
ThirdEye

I'd want him to stay. I think he does a ton for the morale of this team and more. It would be sad if he didn't resign

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2007, 10:48 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

My guess, Shanny has contract waiting for him if he wants one. Most likely, at this stage of his career, he'll finish the season, assess wher he is physically and determine his future. From the looks of things, he loves being here. (He's long stated he's wanted to play in NY throughout his career.) His effect on the young players in this organization is pretty obvious. (Most reports say they just flock to him.) And, his effect on his teammates is much the same. (Just recall his appearance in the locker room against Chicago after the incident against Philly.)

Besides, I don't see the point on spending money long term for players who give at best the same production, (I'm looking at you Ryan Smyth), when we have a system bursting of prospect that will soon make their respective marks, while being much more cost-effective. Keep Shanahan, Nylander and Straka around as placeholders, until Jagr is ready to move on, and the kids are properly integrated.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2007, 11:34 AM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan68 View Post
Hey, I live in Minnesota and I love Wes Walz, but yoiu have got to be kidding!

The answer is 99.99%. The Rangers will probably be less active in the free agent market this offseason than they have in many years.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2007, 11:37 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Hey, I live in Minnesota and I love Wes Walz, but yoiu have got to be kidding!

The answer is 99.99%. The Rangers will probably be less active in the free agent market this offseason than they have in many years.

Funny stuff...Shanny, three rings, already embeds himself into the fabric of the team and city..and Wes Walz...hmm...decisions...decisions...

Old
04-07-2007, 11:55 AM
RangerSteve

Send a message via MSN to RangerSteve
Easy choice here..bring him back. I've never seen a veteran like Shanny just come in and be able to get along with Jagr. He understood coming in that this was Jagr's team, and so far he's said/done everything without pissing him off. Slats/Maloney/Renney better resign him. Give him the same amount of power play/even strength time but get him off the PK. Even though the other night he was blocking shots like a mad man!

RangerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2007, 12:18 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
My guess, Shanny has contract waiting for him if he wants one. Most likely, at this stage of his career, he'll finish the season, assess wher he is physically and determine his future. From the looks of things, he loves being here. (He's long stated he's wanted to play in NY throughout his career.) His effect on the young players in this organization is pretty obvious. (Most reports say they just flock to him.) And, his effect on his teammates is much the same. (Just recall his appearance in the locker room against Chicago after the incident against Philly.)

Besides, I don't see the point on spending money long term for players who give at best the same production, (I'm looking at you Ryan Smyth),
Dead on, jas. Great post. If Renney can actually stop trotting him out on the PK and allow for him to play his 16 minutes, Shanny represents another 30 goals next year. His influence in the lockerroom cannot be understated. Nor, IMO, can his effect on Avery. Coincidence or not, Shanny's presence has seemed to have a calming effect on Avery. Avery has become loved in the lockerroom, after being a pariah in LA. Both obviously like playing with the other. Another year of Shanny's influence and mayhaps Avery can really take another step forward and turn into an NYR version of Tucker.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2007, 12:21 PM
HenrikO'doyle

Bring back Shanny. He is still a good player, point a game and he can score, not to mention he did this the 1st half of the year without a top 2 line center. The guy is also one of the 3 best in the league when it comes to leadership. He has the experience, seems to get along great with Jagr and the young guys really take to him. I say bring him back and let him just keep doing what hes doing.

HenrikO'doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2007, 12:23 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Dead on, jas. Great post. If Renney can actually stop trotting him out on the PK and allow for him to play his 16 minutes, Shanny represents another 30 goals next year. His influence in the lockerroom cannot be understated. Nor, IMO, can his effect on Avery. Coincidence or not, Shanny's presence has seemed to have a calming effect on Avery. Avery has become loved in the lockerroom, after being a pariah in LA. Both obviously like playing with the other. Another year of Shanny's influence and mayhaps Avery can really take another step forward and turn into an NYR version of Tucker.

Oh, so now you agree with me...what did I do wrong?

Last edited by jas: 04-07-2007 at 12:44 PM.
Old
04-07-2007, 12:40 PM
Cartman27

Send a message via AIM to Cartman27
According to Barry Watkins, its a virtual certainty that Shanahan is going to resign. Thats what he said a few weeks ago, and I trust his word more than anybody else.

Cartman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2007, 12:57 PM
WheresBarnaby

100%

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2007, 01:55 PM
LiveTheSearch

vCash: 3223
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan68 View Post
Are you serious? 10 Wes Walz's wouldn't replace Shanahan!

LiveTheSearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2007, 03:04 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
I have a feeling the Rangers will either go all out and offer him whatever he wants, or give him a real low offer just to say "we tried and he did what was best for him" so that he leaves.

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2007, 03:07 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

I would not resign him...

I think his leadership is the most overblown thing in Rangersland...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2007, 03:08 PM
cjdv16

absolutely. he'll be back. he loves NY, fans love him, and the organization loves him.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2007, 03:12 PM
Staggarelli
@erikthedirector

Send a message via AIM to Staggarelli
Two schools of thought here...

He has been an amazing assest to the team and has been well worth the 4 Mill a year... 60 points, stands up for the team, great in the locker room, kill penaltys....

On the flip side, he is getting alot older and his production really dropped off as the season went on... Also, with him on the team it leaves less room for the "rebuild", its 4 million that could be spent cap wise somewhere else if they get someone in a trade or sign (hopefully not) a FA...

When it comes down to it thou, I want him on next years team, but only if he were to take reduced minutes meaning no more PK unless one of our good PK's in injured or in the box and he should give some of his second line minutes to Callahan/Prucha if he begins to tire as the season wares on....

Staggarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2007, 03:15 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
I hope he re-signs, but I also hope he takes about a 1M discount off of his salary. I don't think he's worth 4M.

ECL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2007, 03:15 PM
RedLightDistrict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdv16 View Post
absolutely. he'll be back. he loves NY, fans love him, and the organization loves him.
I agree. The odds of him uprooting his family for the second straight year seems unlikely, given Shanny's dedication to both family and team.

RedLightDistrict is offline   Reply With Quote