HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Renney & Staff knew best & I knew

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-06-2007, 07:07 PM
  #26
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,209
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeetchIsGod2 View Post
i got two words for you : Ron Low
Are you trying to put the fear of G-d in me?

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 07:20 PM
  #27
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 23,835
vCash: 145
Awards:
As I said earlier, I appreciate what Renney has done this past half season, but I feel any talk of him getting an extension and raise are premature. I'd like to see us play an entire season with some semblance of consistency, and I'd certainly like to see us not get swept in the opening round before we give him any type of extension.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 07:46 PM
  #28
ATLANTARANGER*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Atlanta, B&R in NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,649
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
I agree. It's easy to turn blemishes into beauty marks the day after your team clinches their 2nd straight playoff berth. But let's not forget that the same coach was behind the bench less than two months ago when this team was out of a playoff spot. We can blame some of it on the lineup, but I think some of the blame should go to the coaching. I'll be the first to tip my hat to Renney and his staff. But I don't think anyone should be force fed crow meat. Renney is what he's always been: An average coach who's more of a teacher than a strategist. However, when this team is truly ready to be a contender, I'm not sure Renney is the guy I want behind the bench.
What would you call the game plan that completely emasculated montreal last night?

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 07:51 PM
  #29
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,177
vCash: 500
Apparantly, a lot of Lundqvist's turnaround this season has to do with Allaire as well... this is about Renney & Staff and I don't think you can understate the job they've done.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 07:54 PM
  #30
ATLANTARANGER*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Atlanta, B&R in NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,649
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I would like to go on record as saying I never wanted Renney fired, never thought he should be fired and never thought he would be fired.

The guy is the best coach this team has had in a very long time.
In his own way he has always reminded me of Al Arbour. Beneath the stoic exterior lies a tough as nail coach, that takes a low key approach, speaks softly, but the players know where the line is. He treats players like people and for that he gains their respect and loyality. I disagree that he's not a strategist. I've seen many subtle in game changes that he's made that the more astute have missed.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 07:57 PM
  #31
LeetchIsGod2
 
LeetchIsGod2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: LI,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 166
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LeetchIsGod2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Are you trying to put the fear of G-d in me?
haha nope just a little joke to brighten the day haha and thats what Ron Low Was , a Joke

LeetchIsGod2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 08:02 PM
  #32
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,469
vCash: 500
Atlanta...

players like Jagr and Shanny own Renney...I don't think that qualifies as tough as nails.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 08:26 PM
  #33
ATLANTARANGER*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Atlanta, B&R in NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,649
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
players like Jagr and Shanny own Renney...I don't think that qualifies as tough as nails.
Whether you are a coach or a manager, you treat people fairly, that doesn't mean you use the same MO with every single player or employee. The key is understanding what makes each tick and use that to get the max from them.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 08:47 PM
  #34
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,469
vCash: 500
Don't disagree....

just disagree with "tough as nails". He's a tactician, and a good one; he's not tough as nails. I think I remember him saying that the reason why Shanny was on the PK was that he liked playing the PK, even though most of us in here thought Shanny would wear, and he did. Most of us thought the PP should shoot more, and so did he, but Jagr didn't, and not much changed for nearly 1 1/2 years - those two alone make me believe that he's not "tough as nails". Keenan was tough as nails. Renney's not.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 09:21 PM
  #35
Screaming Banshee
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Oakville
Country: Canada
Posts: 117
vCash: 500
I can't get down on the man who gave Girardi a shot, but I swear some nights you could put a cardboard cut out of him behind the bench and no one would know the difference.

Screaming Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 10:16 PM
  #36
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,116
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
Keenan was tough as nails. Renney's not.
I agree. At the end of the day, Renney is who he is. He is very good with the X's & O's and he is very poor at actual in-game speed and strategies. I have made this analogy and it holds true. He is the Herm Edwards of the NHL.

He gets full marks for the turnaround that has been going for a good long while. However, he scores fairly low. Many, many threads to I recall through December where the common theme was "What kind of lines are these?". Betts playing on the 2nd line. It took how long to figure out that Cullen does not belong on the 2nd line? And how long to figure out that you cannot have Straka and Roszsival passing the puck to Jagr for each 1:45 of the PP.

Some of the players that are a reason for the change are there becuase he finally had no choice due to injuries but to try them. Adjustments could have been made a long time ago. He is not tough as nails. As Fletch pointed out, he is a pushover for Jagr & Shanny, but can be tough on a Prucha.

Ultimately, I do not see him as a coach for the future, but rather for the duration of Sather's stay in power. Barring a total collapse, off course. He is very much like Roger Nielsen. A good teacher, but not one that can put his team over the top.

However, having said all that, as he takes the criticism, so too must he get accolades for the turn around. He started and was forced to implement changes late in the game. But better late than never, I guess.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 10:39 PM
  #37
ruckus*
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 3,554
vCash: 500
I am probably the biggest Renney supporter and I have been since the very beginning. However, the ONE thing that drives me crazy (aside from the Prucha handling) is how he INSISTS that a key to this teams success is their ability to roll four lines. We've all seen this to be true with how successful this team has been when doing this. But the thing that drives me mad is that he GOES AWAY FROM THIS WHEN THE TEAM IS LOSING. Look at the game on the Island. How many shifts did Callahan get in the third period? Or the 4th line? Last nights game, up 3-0 he continues to roll the four lines and the Rangers for the most part continue to dominate. But when this team is trailing, he tends to be completely hypocritical and double shift Jagr every chance he gets. Why won't he just keep rolling the 4 lines when we're down a goal or two? It's why we're here to begin with and it's what has been making us as good as we've been. If he botches this in the playoffs if we fall behind we will be in trouble I feel. Does anyone agree with me?

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 11:04 PM
  #38
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,254
vCash: 500
i dont like Renney.

but the heading for my post game thoughts last night was :

First Star:Tom Renney

he did a marvelous job of coaching last night.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2007, 09:08 AM
  #39
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,116
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
But when this team is trailing, he tends to be completely hypocritical and double shift Jagr every chance he gets. Why won't he just keep rolling the 4 lines when we're down a goal or two?
Most coaches get away from rolling 4 lines when they are down by a goal or two in the 3rd period.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2007, 09:21 AM
  #40
bubba5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,017
vCash: 500
It took Renney 3 month to do what people on this board had been saying for him to do all season. He needed to split up the Jagr line, that was the first step. But remember, everything is for not until the King started to play well again, the first couple months of the season he would always give up at least 1 bad goal that would kill us. So Renney can also thank his lucky stars he has Henrik!

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2007, 10:14 AM
  #41
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 13,209
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post
It took Renney 3 month to do what people on this board had been saying for him to do all season. He needed to split up the Jagr line, that was the first step. But remember, everything is for not until the King started to play well again, the first couple months of the season he would always give up at least 1 bad goal that would kill us. So Renney can also thank his lucky stars he has Henrik!

And Michel Therrien can thank his lucky stars he has Crosby. And Phil Jackson can thank his lucky stars he's had Jordan and Shaq. It's a bogus argument.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2007, 10:49 AM
  #42
dkatzism
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
players like Jagr and Shanny own Renney...I don't think that qualifies as tough as nails.
Fletch, you are on to something here. He's a real player's coach, Renney is. And you know, seems like a nice guy off the ice. I'd send him on a beer run. But for him to be most effective, he needs to have a plan and stick to it like he has done down the stretch here. It can't be a case of Jags saying, "No, no, just do this." It has to be Tombo saying, "Jags, this is the plan we're going to use; it's going to take the pressure off and let you do what you do best."

  Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2007, 11:29 AM
  #43
BigE
Registered User
 
BigE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: San Francisco, CA
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,476
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
I agree. It's easy to turn blemishes into beauty marks the day after your team clinches their 2nd straight playoff berth. But let's not forget that the same coach was behind the bench less than two months ago when this team was out of a playoff spot. We can blame some of it on the lineup, but I think some of the blame should go to the coaching. I'll be the first to tip my hat to Renney and his staff. But I don't think anyone should be force fed crow meat. Renney is what he's always been: An average coach who's more of a teacher than a strategist. However, when this team is truly ready to be a contender, I'm not sure Renney is the guy I want behind the bench.
I think this just points to the folly of criticizing a coaching and management staff halfway through the second year of a 5 year plan.

You're going to have your ups and downs, and as I've said before Renney is learning to become a better coach just the same as these players are learning to become better themselves.

I can't blame fans for wearing their heart on their sleeves and living and dying with every win and loss. With that said, I'm glad that management has enough experience not to panic everytime we get throttled.

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2007, 11:39 AM
  #44
ATLANTARANGER*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Atlanta, B&R in NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,649
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
I think this just points to the folly of criticizing a coaching and management staff halfway through the second year of a 5 year plan.

You're going to have your ups and downs, and as I've said before Renney is learning to become a better coach just the same as these players are learning to become better themselves.

I can't blame fans for wearing their heart on their sleeves and living and dying with every win and loss. With that said, I'm glad that management has enough experience not to panic everytime we get throttled.
E, wait, that would be admitting that the idiot Sather knows what he is doing. Hell, next thing people will be saying is that we actually have a quality organization and prospects to boot! The hockey fairy is gunna be pretty pissed!

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2007, 11:48 AM
  #45
DutchShamrock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 4,996
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
Most coaches get away from rolling 4 lines when they are down by a goal or two in the 3rd period.
But Callahan was our best forward in the 1st period. He almost had 3 goals on chances he generated by himself. I know I don't have to tell you the benefits to playing young guys who hustle, but the fact remains that Renney habitually ignores his "lesser" players late in games. The problem is that these are the guys that carried the play through the 1st two periods. It makes no sense in my book.

In this same vein, Renney didn't roll 4 lines in the 1st half of the season and I think that was a big factor in our poor start. People will say that our lineup wasn't complete yet, but I recall the Anaheim and San Jose games where Renney was forced to roll 4 because of the compressed schedule on the road trip. Those were our 2 best games of the the year before the All-Star break. Why did he get away from a good thing? Why does he always get away from the good things? This is the source of my gripes... which are fewer of late.

And like BigE pointed out, the Fire Renney threads were premature but I still think these Renney's The Man threads are just as premature.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2007, 01:09 PM
  #46
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,116
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugerya View Post
But Callahan was our best forward in the 1st period.
I do not disagree with that. I just was pointing out that the rolling of 4 lines often disappears in the 3rd period when the team is down by a goal. Mind you that I do not mean that playing your players who are doing well disappears. Just the rolling part.
Quote:
but the fact remains that Renney habitually ignores his "lesser" players late in games.
It's not the "lesser" players that he ignores per se, just the younger ones.
Quote:
In this same vein, Renney didn't roll 4 lines in the 1st half of the season and I think that was a big factor in our poor start. People will say that our lineup wasn't complete yet, but I recall the Anaheim and San Jose games where Renney was forced to roll 4 because of the compressed schedule on the road trip. Those were our 2 best games of the the year before the All-Star break. Why did he get away from a good thing? Why does he always get away from the good things?
I do not disagree with that. He made every effort of running the older veterans into the ground and only began making changes when he was forced to do so.
Quote:
And like BigE pointed out, the Fire Renney threads were premature but I still think these Renney's The Man threads are just as premature.
Agreed here as well. However, I think that most of the usual cast of vets around here did not joing the mob when the "Hang Renney" threads littered the board, just like it is a tad early to annoit him as the second coming of Bowman.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2007, 01:22 PM
  #47
AJ1982
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 1,812
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
I am still no fan of Renney. I don't see how making the playoffs should somehow make me regret saying Renney is a mediocre coach. I still firmly believe he is average and quite possibly below average. To me the major reasons we are in the playoffs is because Jagr and Lundy were back to the level they played at last year and the addition of Avery gave this team a spark that Renney could not provide as coach. Also, Renney was forced into injecting some youth because of injuries, otherwise Callahan and Girardi are still in the minor. I am not sure what Renney has done to dismiss the doubts some of us have had about his coaching abilities.

AJ1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2007, 01:25 PM
  #48
paintballruler*
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 69
vCash: 500
the only thing i disagree with is when it is 4 on 4, and renny puts out betts & ortys. I want to see us play offensivly for the 2 min 4 on 4. instead of the puck in our zone like we are killing a penalty

paintballruler* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2007, 02:56 PM
  #49
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1982 View Post
I am still no fan of Renney. I don't see how making the playoffs should somehow make me regret saying Renney is a mediocre coach. I still firmly believe he is average and quite possibly below average. To me the major reasons we are in the playoffs is because Jagr and Lundy were back to the level they played at last year and the addition of Avery gave this team a spark that Renney could not provide as coach. Also, Renney was forced into injecting some youth because of injuries, otherwise Callahan and Girardi are still in the minor. I am not sure what Renney has done to dismiss the doubts some of us have had about his coaching abilities.
Callahan is in the lineup to begin with because Hossa got hurt... and Hossa's turnaround is a huge credit to Renney. Yes, Callahan is playing well... but you can't use the "Renney was forced into it" line on that one. A guy Renney was responisble for being a key cog got injured... still equals Renney being the guy making the decision and having the reponsibility.

I feel like many on this board are hypocritical in regards to Prucha. No one feels he's getting as good a shot in the lineup now as he deserves for his play, but when he was playing atrociously in October and November, the same people would've kept him on the 2nd line forever. I actually give Renney and the staff credit for turning around Prucha's season too. Renney refused to play him regularly again til he started playing well again. Obviously, the motivation worked.

Oh, and about Lundqvist. Renney can thank his lucky stars he's got Allaire (oh wait, Allaire is part of th staff)... and Lundqvist can thank his lucky stars he's got Allaire too.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2007, 03:17 PM
  #50
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,116
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
I feel like many on this board are hypocritical in regards to Prucha. No one feels he's getting as good a shot in the lineup now as he deserves for his play, but when he was playing atrociously in October and November, the same people would've kept him on the 2nd line forever. I actually give Renney and the staff credit for turning around Prucha's season too. Renney refused to play him regularly again til he started playing well again. Obviously, the motivation worked.
Worked for Renney, right? After all, last year Hossa got to skate on the 2nd line the the entire months of October, November & December. He was quite putrid during that time. However, Renney steadfastly refused to remove him. Would that Prucha got to prance around for 3 months without producing anything, as a top-6 forward.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:06 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.