HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Green to Edmonton

Old
07-15-2014, 11:37 AM
ponokanocker

vCash: 500
Green to Edmonton

With Washington signing Niskanen, and already having Carlson as a RHD, plus the signing of Orpik and having Alzner, is Green on his way out? What would it take to get Green to Edmonton considering he is a UFA at the end of the season?

To Edmonton: Green

To Washington: Petry, Gernet, 2nd rd pick

It's a roster player, okay prospect and a pick. Can Washington expect much more with only one year left on his contract?

The other issue is if Green waives to come to Edmonton. While it isn't a market many players want to go to, it is just for one season, then he can pick any team he wants to go to. If Edmonton is out of the playoffs and he does not plan on resigning by the trade deadline, he will have a chance for a cup anyway.

ponokanocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2014, 11:43 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Washington has no pressing need to move Green. They're currently cap compliant, and there's not much use for additional cap space at the moment given that the free agent market is pretty picked over (especially at center, where the team needs the most help). While I like Jeff Petry a lot, he's no an upgrade over Green. Unless the Capitals have another trade lined up that requires the ~$3M in cap space this frees, I'd pass. Makes the Capitals a worse team, and the quality of futures aren't good enough to warrant that.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2014, 11:45 AM
shogun99

At this point in their careers Petry is a better defenceman then Green. Unless I logged onto hfboards 2009 edition?

shogun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2014, 11:46 AM
Walter Kovacs
McJesus

I'd rather keep Petry, Gernat and the 2nd, Green holds no interest to me and I dont think he's what the Oilers need.

Walter Kovacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2014, 11:47 AM
trick9

vCash: 50
I think it's a solid offer, and one i would take from Caps POV as i can't see Green resigning here next summer.

trick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2014, 11:51 AM
ponokanocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tarkanian View Post
I'd rather keep Petry, Gernat and the 2nd, Green holds no interest to me and I dont think he's what the Oilers need.
The offense the Oilers got from their blueline last year was horrendous. Schultz gave them 33 points, and will probably trend upwards this year, but the 2nd best point producer was Ference with a whole 18 points. Another offensive option is a necessity, especially if Schultz misses any games. None of their new additions can be expected to provide much of anything offensively.

Old
07-15-2014, 11:52 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
At this point in their careers Petry is a better defenceman then Green. Unless I logged onto hfboards 2009 edition?

Green is a possession monster who still provides quality production at both even-strength and on the powerplay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick9 View Post
I think it's a solid offer, and one i would take from Caps POV as i can't see Green resigning here next summer.
Petry only has one year remaining on his contract, as well.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2014, 11:53 AM
HeyMattyB
Caps Fan in Philly

Caps aren't under any pressure to trade Green. At this point, he's a luxury, but he's a luxury they can afford to keep unless the right deal comes along. If they do trade him, what they need more than anything is a 2C. What they need after that is a 2LW. What they might possibly need after that is an NHL-proven depth defenseman on a cheap contract to replace Green on the roster. What they absolutely don't need are picks and prospects.

Looking at EDM's roster, the only really appealing piece is Perron, who fits the Caps' 2LW need. Petry would also be great in terms of a third-pairing defenseman on a cheaper contract (which is only for one year after which's he's a UFA). But that also means the Caps would be trading away one of their most valuable trade assets and NOT getting a 2C in the bargain.

That sounds like a lot to ask from EDM, considering what the Caps are willing to part with. If there's something significant that the Caps could add to Green (picks? prospects? roster players like 2RW Brouwer or a young 2C like Johansson?) to get Perron + Petry, then it's worth discussing. If not, there's no trade to be had here, unfortunately.

HeyMattyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2014, 11:54 AM
txpd

petry is better than green? you are going to have to explain that.

green wanting to resign with the capitals has everything to do with the role and the ice time that trotz will assign to green. the only reason to keep green is as the caps #1 offensive situations defenseman.

I think too many people are jumping to the conclusion that niskanen is going to get that ice time and I am far from convinced.

the capitals were adding defensemen during the ufa period and not replacing them.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2014, 11:55 AM
searle

Once again, if Green's being moved it's probably only going to be for a 2 C

searle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2014, 12:10 PM
trick9

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post

Petry only has one year remaining on his contract, as well.
My bad. I thought he was RFA next summer still but as he is UFA i'm far less interested in that deal.

trick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2014, 12:13 PM
drw02
I beg to differ

Quote:
Originally Posted by searle View Post
Once again, if Green's being moved it's probably only going to be for a 2 C
Done. Weiss for Green.

drw02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2014, 12:22 PM
ponokanocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyMattyB View Post
Caps aren't under any pressure to trade Green. At this point, he's a luxury, but he's a luxury they can afford to keep unless the right deal comes along. If they do trade him, what they need more than anything is a 2C. What they need after that is a 2LW. What they might possibly need after that is an NHL-proven depth defenseman on a cheap contract to replace Green on the roster. What they absolutely don't need are picks and prospects.

Looking at EDM's roster, the only really appealing piece is Perron, who fits the Caps' 2LW need. Petry would also be great in terms of a third-pairing defenseman on a cheaper contract (which is only for one year after which's he's a UFA). But that also means the Caps would be trading away one of their most valuable trade assets and NOT getting a 2C in the bargain.

That sounds like a lot to ask from EDM, considering what the Caps are willing to part with. If there's something significant that the Caps could add to Green (picks? prospects? roster players like 2RW Brouwer or a young 2C like Johansson?) to get Perron + Petry, then it's worth discussing. If not, there's no trade to be had here, unfortunately.
Something around Petry + Perron for Green and Johansson is something that potentially helps both teams. Johansson provides the Oilers with improvement up the middle for the coming season until Draisaitl is ready in future years. When that happens, the Oilers either have a choice to move one of them, or switch one to the wing. C's convert to W quite easily, so that isn't a huge concern.

This would create an issue for the Oilers on the W for the coming season, but gives them long term depth up the middle, and a top pairing D this season which they badly need. I think it helps more than it hurts them.

Old
07-15-2014, 12:27 PM
HeyMattyB
Caps Fan in Philly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokanocker View Post
Something around Petry + Perron for Green and Johansson is something that potentially helps both teams. Johansson provides the Oilers with improvement up the middle for the coming season until Draisaitl is ready in future years. When that happens, the Oilers either have a choice to move one of them, or switch one to the wing. C's convert to W quite easily, so that isn't a huge concern.

This would create an issue for the Oilers on the W for the coming season, but gives them long term depth up the middle, and a top pairing D this season which they badly need. I think it helps more than it hurts them.
I think most Caps fans would absolutely agree to Green + Mojo for Perron + Petry.

Old
07-15-2014, 12:31 PM
AlexBrovechkin8

Quote:
Originally Posted by drw02 View Post
Done. Weiss for Green.
How much salary are you retaining and what are you adding?

AlexBrovechkin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2014, 12:40 PM
txpd

Quote:
I think most Caps fans would absolutely agree to Green + Mojo for Perron + Petry.
the Caps need wingers?

Old
07-15-2014, 12:41 PM
HeyMattyB
Caps Fan in Philly

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
the Caps need wingers?
It seems generally agreed among us that yes, a 2LW is a need if we're looking to make a push this year and next. Not as pressing as a 2C, but it is a need--unless we want to rush yet another kid into the NHL when he should be playing in the AHL.

Old
07-15-2014, 12:44 PM
Walter Kovacs
McJesus

Quote:
And I doubt most Oiler fans would.

Old
07-15-2014, 12:44 PM
Number1RedWingsFan52

Quote:
With Washington signing Niskanen, and already having Carlson as a RHD, plus the signing of Orpik and having Alzner, is Green on his way out? What would it take to get Green to Edmonton considering he is a UFA at the end of the season?

To Edmonton: Green

To Washington: Petry, Gernet, 2nd rd pick

It's a roster player, okay prospect and a pick. Can Washington expect much more with only one year left on his contract?

The other issue is if Green waives to come to Edmonton. While it isn't a market many players want to go to, it is just for one season, then he can pick any team he wants to go to. If Edmonton is out of the playoffs and he does not plan on resigning by the trade deadline, he will have a chance for a cup anyway.
And this helps Washington how? Washington needs a #2 center they don't need another defenseman in Petry and Gernets not a #2 center. Why would Washington take this deal Detroit will offer better.

Number1RedWingsFan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2014, 01:04 PM
d99gr81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number1RedWingsFan52 View Post
And this helps Washington how? Washington needs a #2 center they don't need another defenseman in Petry and Gernets not a #2 center. Why would Washington take this deal Detroit will offer better.
Look, they are going with Kuznetsov as 2c. Unless he completely sucks it up first half the season... which I highly doubt... that's our 2c. Burkavosky is a LW who was labeled close after last years camp. I know many want to say that is not possible or likely but I see them (assuming he has another good camp) to start the season and see how he does. Got to think Trotz will see that we have too many RW's and moves Ovechkin back to LW which is his natural preferred spot and well we are not bad off on LW or RW and Kuznetsov at 2c ... sounds like they are going to give these younger guys the reins which I think needs to be done. Will be fun watching Burakovsky and Kuznetsov flying around and seeing Wilson play with Ovechkin and Backstrom and open up a ton of space for them. Caps have the players to fill the holes many just dont want to see it yet because they would be using a few younger guys.

Last edited by d99gr81: 07-15-2014 at 01:16 PM.
d99gr81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2014, 01:06 PM
ponokanocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tarkanian View Post
And I doubt most Oiler fans would.
Why not from an Oilers POV? Top pairing D is what we are missing the most, followed by #2C. This move would cover both of their biggest needs.

Old
07-15-2014, 01:07 PM
txpd

Quote:
It seems generally agreed among us that yes, a 2LW is a need if we're looking to make a push this year and next. Not as pressing as a 2C, but it is a need--unless we want to rush yet another kid into the NHL when he should be playing in the AHL.
not seeing it. the Caps have Ovechkin, Kuznetsov, Johansson, Brouwer, Laich, Fehr and Wilson. All capable of playing wing one of the top two lines.

Old
07-15-2014, 01:15 PM
HeyMattyB
Caps Fan in Philly

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
not seeing it.
OK then.

Old
07-15-2014, 01:19 PM
Walter Kovacs
McJesus

Quote:
Why not from an Oilers POV? Top pairing D is what we are missing the most, followed by #2C. This move would cover both of their biggest needs.
We need Perron and what he brings to the team more than we need Johansson, we have stop gaps we can use at #2C until Draisaitl is ready to step up to the NHL or we can go the free agency route and find a temporary solution there. Green is not a top pairing dman anymore and would get absolutely lit up on the Oilers, he might give us a little more offense but I would rather have a more defensively sound option on the back end.