HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Going to the minors

Old
04-05-2007, 03:14 PM
power_def

vCash: 500
Going to the minors

My friends and I were curious if there has ever been anyone who started playing hockey in their early 20's and went on to the minors or even nhl?

power_def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 03:46 PM
Puckboy

I believe that Zarley Zalapski started late, but not in his 20s

Puckboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 04:00 PM
fullmetal2405

well I didn't start ice hockey till I was 17. So I'll let you know if I make it

fullmetal2405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 04:33 PM
MikeD

Connie Madigan is the oldest rookie to make it. But, he also started playing in '34 making the NHL in '72(ish).

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 04:35 PM
WhiskeyYourTheDevils

i didnt really start "playing" until i was 14, but i could hack it in a low minor league right now (im 20) i play pickup with alot of guys who played in the SPHL and ECHL, and they keep bugging me to go to an open tryout, but school first

WhiskeyYourTheDevils is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 05:03 PM
hfboardsuser

Jay Caufield didn't play seriously until the hockey coach at the university he was a football player for asked him to in order to protect his stars.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 09:20 PM
saveourpens

Ed Jovanavski didn't start skating until crazy late. I believe it was 16-18 years old.

saveourpens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 10:34 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by saveourpens View Post
Ed Jovanavski didn't start skating until crazy late. I believe it was 16-18 years old.
around 11

http://www.omnitv.ca/ontario/tv/docs...s/latebloomer/

sk84fun_dc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 10:58 PM
The Viking Fury

theoretically, any boxer could lace em up and sign an NHL contract I guess

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 11:33 PM
saveourpens

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
haha, I heard the 16-18 figure from a couple other places, but I guess I stand corrected.

Old
04-05-2007, 11:43 PM
Danrik
It is what it is.

vCash: 275
He was drafted #1 overall when he was about 18. I hope he didn't start skating that year!

Danrik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2007, 11:57 PM
Injektilo

Send a message via MSN to Injektilo
you have to be a hell of a natural athlete to make it anywhere big after starting out even as late as Jovo. Especially at hockey, where skating takes so much work.

If it were possible to play in the NHL after starting at 20, I'd be there now given the amount of hockey i've played since then. I'm still about 3924992 levels below it though.

Injektilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 10:23 AM
saveourpens

If you start everything at 15, and spend as much time as any NHL'r did on hockey as a kid, you probably still won't make it at 30 on a minor league team.

When you start as a kid all the movements become secound nature. It's sort of like learning a new language. If a kid learns a new language, they will be fluent in it very soon. If an adult tries to learn it, they will have an accent for life.

Old
04-06-2007, 05:31 PM
MikeD

I think much of that is going to be determined by the heart and desire of the athlete AND the level of Coaching made available.

MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 07:08 PM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
Wow, I didn't know that...thats pretty incredible.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2007, 07:18 PM
WhiskeyYourTheDevils

Quote:
Originally Posted by saveourpens View Post
If you start everything at 15, and spend as much time as any NHL'r did on hockey as a kid, you probably still won't make it at 30 on a minor league team.

When you start as a kid all the movements become secound nature. It's sort of like learning a new language. If a kid learns a new language, they will be fluent in it very soon. If an adult tries to learn it, they will have an accent for life.
I dont know about that, i never even played until later (im now 20, started at 14) and now i could seriously play on an SPHL or UHL team. But i do play about 25 + hours a week so that makes sense

Old
04-07-2007, 08:34 AM
Cujo31

It takes an exceptional athlete to start later in most sports now as opposed to even 10 years ago....especially in hockey. With all the advances in training methods and increased time being devoted to developing skating skills at younger ages its verey hard for even the exceptional athlete to 'catch up'

It does happen but every year we see less house league players make the jump to rep in our minor hockey organization. Players in rep are getting 120-150 hours ice perseason compared to 16 games and 16 half ice practises for a house player-with lower level coaching.

Gone are the days of Roberts-Nieuwendyk playing together in house on same team at age 11....and going on to star in NHL. We'll still see exceptions and late bloomers like Primeau but numbers were seeing show its happening much less.....the skill required to play at elite levels has increased.

At 40 I'm almost ready to give up the dream myself-played shinny with top scorer on an eliminated OHL team yesterday and my son pointed out my skating "needs work" later

Cujo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2007, 05:15 PM
devilsfan26

Send a message via AIM to devilsfan26
Making it to the NHL really isn't a feasible goal. You have to be born with some natural talent. For most people, just working hard for hours and hours isn't even close to enough, and chances are that if you aren't the best kid your age in your area by the time you are approaching 10 or so, you have just about no chance of ending up in the NHL. You may be a very good player compared to people you play with, but think of how many other people around the world are at that level. There are millions of hockey players all over the world, and probably hundreds of thousands of professional players when you consider all the leagues there are worldwide. To make it to the NHL you have to be one of the best 400 or so. Even a guy who is real damned good compared to most hockey players probably has a hard time getting into a pro league in Italy or Denmark, so that saying "anything is possible if you put your mind to it" or anything like that is completely bogus.

devilsfan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2007, 06:16 PM
Wooty

The question to ask is this: Could you take the other best athletes (just stick with NA Sports for now) and get them in the NHL quickly.

Could Kobe, Dwayne Wade, LeBron, Shaq, Reggie Bush, Tom Brady make it in the NHL with professional training? How long would it take them?

Wooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 08:03 PM
LVIsles*

I dont believe in the whole natural talent thing, I believe if you have the heart and desire to make it, you will make it,,, I think some people who appear to be naturally talented, but play like they dont give a ****, are people who might have been pressured when they were younger and never really wanted it for themselves and maybe resent the game

LVIsles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 09:04 PM
slade

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVIsles View Post
I dont believe in the whole natural talent thing, I believe if you have the heart and desire to make it, you will make it,,, I think some people who appear to be naturally talented, but play like they dont give a ****, are people who might have been pressured when they were younger and never really wanted it for themselves and maybe resent the game
the term natural talent was created by people who dont have enough drive to do complete a difficult task.

gretzky played an amazing amount at a very young age...same with crosby.

slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 09:12 PM
Reckless Abandon*

Jason York learned to skate last year.

Reckless Abandon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 12:42 PM
mac-sniper

jovo was playin minor hockey since he was 8, he played travel at 11. that story is bullsht, hes from my hometown...i know a guy who grew up playing with him, he only played AAA at the midget level and just exploded. somehow that story got bastardized into he started skating when he was 17. lol. he is a beauty tho, ive watched him play since he was 16.

cool fact that he still holds the basketball record for most points in our county in highschool basketball.

mac-sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 04:47 PM
puck_08

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsfan26 View Post
Making it to the NHL really isn't a feasible goal. You have to be born with some natural talent. For most people, just working hard for hours and hours isn't even close to enough, and chances are that if you aren't the best kid your age in your area by the time you are approaching 10 or so, you have just about no chance of ending up in the NHL. You may be a very good player compared to people you play with, but think of how many other people around the world are at that level. There are millions of hockey players all over the world, and probably hundreds of thousands of professional players when you consider all the leagues there are worldwide. To make it to the NHL you have to be one of the best 400 or so. Even a guy who is real damned good compared to most hockey players probably has a hard time getting into a pro league in Italy or Denmark, so that saying "anything is possible if you put your mind to it" or anything like that is completely bogus.
if you want to make it to the NHL enough to give up most things in your life to just concentrate on hockey, then yes, you can make it (given a certain amount of skill to begin with). But there are tons of talented players who don't have the drive to get them there, and there are less talented players who work hard and make it.

I doubt there's tons of players out there who worked hard and concentrated only on hockey for years who couldn't make an ECHL team.

puck_08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2007, 04:48 PM
WhiskeyYourTheDevils

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck_08 View Post
if you want to make it to the NHL enough to give up most things in your life to just concentrate on hockey, then yes, you can make it (given a certain amount of skill to begin with). But there are tons of talented players who don't have the drive to get them there, and there are less talented players who work hard and make it.

I doubt there's tons of players out there who worked hard and concentrated only on hockey for years who couldn't make an ECHL team.
correct, hockey is a pretty basic sport, sharpen your skating so you can skate like the wind and you are already halfway there. Stick skill come with practice, but its fun. If you are naturally gifted it helps too. Ive always had a very good awareness in sports i played, hockey came very natural to me (it doesnt hurt that i was built from the legs up), so if a person has a good understanding of the game, good physical genes, and a good work ethic, they can definitely make it to a lower level league