HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Pull-the-Goalie Incidents

Old
07-14-2014, 04:17 PM
JZCislesHockey

vCash: 500
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_Tiger_Cup#Controversy

More soccer hilarity.

JZCislesHockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2014, 12:05 AM
Mr. Fancy Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZCislesHockey View Post
Very similar situation to the fiasco at the 2012 Olympics for badminton.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badmint...squalification

Mr. Fancy Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2014, 03:38 PM
bigbuffalo313

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZCislesHockey View Post
The best part about that is both of them lost in the next round so it didn't matter who they played

bigbuffalo313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2014, 10:31 PM
DJ Man

Are they allowed to pull the goalie in soccer? I suspect they wouldn't because he's so important on offense, as the only player who can grab the ball and execute a mighty punt, or whatever they call it.

DJ Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2014, 05:30 AM
DuckJazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Man View Post
Are they allowed to pull the goalie in soccer? I suspect they wouldn't because he's so important on offense, as the only player who can grab the ball and execute a mighty punt, or whatever they call it.
Not sure how serious but I'll bite:

Someone has to be dressed as the goalkeeper, but nothing forces them to stay near the actual goal.

Also if something outlandish happens like the primary GK getting sent off and the backup GK gets injured, a field player has to wear the gloves and differing jersey

DuckJazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2014, 08:59 PM
DJ Man

No,I was serious. In the little soccer I've watched, I've never seen a team play with an extra forward. I have seen the players kick it back to the goalie so he can get off a drop kick. Can't imagine a hockey player shooting one towards his own goal.

DJ Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2014, 09:07 PM
Theokritos

As long as you've got substitutions left you can sub off every player on the pitch, including the goalie. But you don't "pull him" for an "extra forward" like in hockey. In hockey it's a gamble, in soccer it would be suicide.

EDIT: In fact the soccer rules say: "A match is played by two teams, each consisting of not more than eleven players, one of whom is the goalkeeper." So there always has to be one player designated as goalkeeper, it's not even technically possible to pull the goalie hockey-style.

Last edited by Theokritos: 08-09-2014 at 09:14 PM.
Theokritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2014, 09:15 PM
Iain Fyffe
Hockey fact-checker

Quote:
No,I was serious. In the little soccer I've watched, I've never seen a team play with an extra forward. I have seen the players kick it back to the goalie so he can get off a drop kick. Can't imagine a hockey player shooting one towards his own goal.
Watch enough soccer and eventually you'll see a goalkeeper join the forwards for a late-game corner kick, for example. They don't pull the goalie and replace him; the goalie just plays offence himself.

Iain Fyffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2014, 03:41 PM
Art of Sedinery

vCash: 400
Quote:
7 Jan 1968, Boston at Chicago.

The Bruins, trailing 3-2, pulled goalie Gerry Cheevers in the final minute. Bobby Hull engineered a breakaway at the empty net. Cheevers poke-checked the puck away from Hull from the bench as he skated by. (Eddie Shack assisted with the assault, also from the Bruin bench.)

Hull recovered and scored easily to seal a 4-2 win, but ref Vern Buffey had already awarded the goal due to the interference.

Cheevers later admitted he was hoping that the ref wouldn't see the infraction, and as Hull was going to score anyway, he had nothing to lose. (I'm surprised he didn't get a fine or suspension.)

It was Hull's 401st career goal. He had scored #400 earlier that night in more conventional fashion.
Still can't believe this one:

Art of Sedinery is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2014, 06:18 PM
Sureshot
Thumbs up, soldier!

Quote:
As others have said, you can't pull the goalie but they can certainly go up and join the forward play as required. In fact, some goalies are renowned for it. Jose Chilavert had 46 goals in 617 apps in his career - as a goalkeeper. Most of them were scored from free-kicks or penalties. Rogerio Ceni is another, who has scored 57 goals in 530 apps and actually scored a hat-trick in one game. There are also some goalies who could legitimately switch positions, such as Jorge Campos, who played either goalkeeper or striker as required.

Here are some goalie goals:

Sureshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2014, 10:25 AM
Thesensation19*

According to Stan Fischler in the book, Hockey!

He talks about how Lester Patrick with the NY Rangers were the first team to initiate pulling a goalie. With a goal down the coach and team decided to do this. They were apparently seconds away from scoring as a give and go pass caused an open net but the ref had blown the whistle for too many men on the ice...

What had happened was the ref did not see the goalie leave his net and thought they simply had 7 men on the ice.

This all happened because the Rangers GM/owner or whoever at the time saw 6 skaters on the ice and started to scream at Patrick to warn him of the mistake. He too did not see the goalie leave

Thesensation19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2014, 11:00 AM
Theokritos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesensation19 View Post
According to Stan Fischler in the book, Hockey!
Interesting and funny story.

A thought: Prior to 1942 forward passing over the blue line was not allowed. Some teams used to take advantage of this rule by going on the forecheck with all five skaters and bottling up the opponents in the defensive zone - a viable tactic when the other team is not allowed to pass the puck out of their own end for relief but has to carry it out. They called it "pressure hockey" or "power play". Now imagine an adventurous coach would have had the idea to pull the goalie while his team was on the "power play" so his team could have played with 6 skaters against 5 in the opponent's zone, or even 6 against 4 in case of a man advantage due to a penalty, with the opponent not allowed to simply clear the puck out of the zone... What a terrible situation for the defending team that would have been.

Theokritos is offline   Reply With Quote