HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Weird rules in beer leagues

Old
07-09-2014, 04:47 PM
quackquackquack

vCash: 500
I hate the roller rules with no icing and 4 on 4. Makes for an absolute **** show sometimes.

quackquackquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 05:40 AM
terranraida

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by fryer98 View Post
Practice makes perfect!
A few beers? My friend is a goalie and he gets damn near blackout before playing.

He plays damn well, too.

terranraida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 04:09 PM
goalieboy82

back in april 2007, i hurt my knee during a game (turn out to be a partial tear of my left knee cartilage, or something i forget what the doctor said). we were losing 5-2 with 7 odd minutes to go in the 3rd. since it a beer league, i was the only goalie. the other team scored a few more goals (dont know how many). one of the players on my team said, if one of the players on the other team does a slap shot into the net, he was going to hit him (or something i forget now). i hate it when a team is going to win but they still want to run up the score. also about 10 years ago, we only had 6 players and me show up to an early morning game. the other team (which had all there players show up) won 4-1 but they knew not to run up the score.

goalieboy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2014, 07:45 PM
elmariachi227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malarowski View Post
I'll also never understand people drinking before/during the game, how do you perform with that level of dehydration, even just from a few beers?
I dunno. I would if I could.

Played against a team last night that had nearly a full bench and was pouring it on the whole game even though we only had 10 skaters. Most of us were subbing too and haven't skated in months.

They ran up the score and kept setting up. I hope there isn't a hurricane again this year down south because we got all the sandbags up here.

elmariachi227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 12:42 AM
MNWild9

My men's league has some odd rules

The first is if there is a offsides it goes to center ice not to the dot outside the blue line. Second on is if a team is up by 6 goal its run time even if the other team scores and it drops to 5 goals the clock keeps running until the next whistle. Third one is if you get three penalty's in a game you are kicked out and if you get 6 in two weeks you are suspended for a week.

The one I hate is automatic even if the player is standing next to the puck and can touch it. They still call icing.

MNWild9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 12:09 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
3 penalties in a game and getting ejected is pretty standard and needed IMO. After 2 you need to play clean, if you can't the suspensions mount and deservedly so.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 12:16 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
Rule 625(b)...

A face-off shall be conducted at the nearest neutral zone faceoff spot anytime an attacking player stands, holds his stick, or skates through the goal crease provided the puck is in the attacking zone, the attacking team has possession of the puck and the goalkeeper is in contact with the crease.
No goal may be scored with an attacking player in the goal crease unless the puck has preceded the player(s) into the goal crease or the goalkeeper is out of the goal crease area.
However, if the attacking player has been physically interfered with by the actions of a defending player that causes him to be in the goal crease, play shall not be stopped and any legal goal scored shall be allowed.
Wow, that's a truly moronic rule. I can see why it's pretty much absolutely never enforced.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 12:55 PM
Sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Wow, that's a truly moronic rule. I can see why it's pretty much absolutely never enforced.
When you're 50 years old and in the butterfly, you'll appreciate the extra protection of the rules.

The rule I hate most? On an inadvertent whistle the face-off is where the puck is. That means every time you're on the power play and a ref accidentally calls icing? You get a d-zone face-off out of it for his mistake. Also, net off the moorings is an automatic dead play, even if it had nothing to do with whether the puck was going in or not. Even if the goal's already gone in 5-hole but the ref *just* noticed one spike was 1/4th of an inch off.

Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 03:34 PM
Kesselology
81 Jump Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeshine boy View Post
my regular Rec league has a "Hat Trick" rule. you're only allowed to score 3 goals per game. if you score after the 3rd one it doesn't count and the puck is taken all the way down to the other end like an icing.
it's a rule that has worked well.
Weird, what if you're just having the game of your life and burying your chances? If the score's tied with a minute left and you've already scored three you're limited to just passing the puck?

Kesselology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 06:30 PM
Onetimersniper28

No slapshot is a stupid rule. A full power wrist shot hurts just as bad if not more. My wrist shot is 60-65 mph, which is as fast as some people's slapshot.
Likewise, some people have wristers upwards of 70 mph.

Onetimersniper28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 06:59 PM
SaintAnton

vCash: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
The rule I hate most? On an inadvertent whistle the face-off is where the puck is. That means every time you're on the power play and a ref accidentally calls icing? You get a d-zone face-off out of it for his mistake.
In every league a mis-called icing should be a face off at centre ice (unofficially with the linesman who made the call dropping the puck) wondering why they would remove that or if your refs are just calling it wrong

SaintAnton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 07:27 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
When you're 50 years old and in the butterfly, you'll appreciate the extra protection of the rules.

The rule I hate most? On an inadvertent whistle the face-off is where the puck is. That means every time you're on the power play and a ref accidentally calls icing? You get a d-zone face-off out of it for his mistake. Also, net off the moorings is an automatic dead play, even if it had nothing to do with whether the puck was going in or not. Even if the goal's already gone in 5-hole but the ref *just* noticed one spike was 1/4th of an inch off.
That rule, as written, means that if the tip of your stick brushes through air above the crease, as you skate nearby, nowhere near the goalie, the play is supposed to be blown dead. Old players or not, that's a comically awful rule.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2014, 09:32 PM
goalie29

I used to play in a summer co-ed 4 on 4 ice league that had some funky rules. Such as - any minor penalty was a penalty shot plus 2 in the box. And if a team got more than 3 goals ahead, every time after that they scored, the other team got a penalty shot (to let them try to catch up). There were a lot of penalty shots, as you can imagine.

As a goalie, it was an interesting league to play in, that's for sure! Luckily most people played with the spirit intended, and it was a lot of fun.

goalie29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2014, 12:46 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinology View Post
Weird, what if you're just having the game of your life and burying your chances? If the score's tied with a minute left and you've already scored three you're limited to just passing the puck?
Yah, seems like an interesting idea but I can see some pros and cons. I'm not a ringer but one game I scored a hat trick on the same shift because their goalie was pretty poor positionally and I know how to take advantage of that. Maybe have certain players assigned the hat trick rule because everybody knows they are the best players in the league? Or the best player on each team goal scoring-wise?

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2014, 06:43 AM
shoeshine boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinology View Post
then you enjoy your hat trick and start passing. this is a league with no stats, no playoffs, all skill levels mixed together and re-drafted every season. it's designed to be fun and if you've got a hot dog skating around putting 6 goals in the net that's not much fun for his linemates.
the only thing you get from winning this league is last pick in the next draft.
we have other competitive leagues where you can score as much as you want.

shoeshine boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2014, 09:44 AM
BlueJazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoeshine boy View Post
then you enjoy your hat trick and start passing. this is a league with no stats, no playoffs, all skill levels mixed together and re-drafted every season. it's designed to be fun and if you've got a hot dog skating around putting 6 goals in the net that's not much fun for his linemates.
the only thing you get from winning this league is last pick in the next draft.
we have other competitive leagues where you can score as much as you want.
Yeah, I'm a fan of this rule. I've seen it around here, in some Coed leagues, and some leagues use it in their bottom divisions. My current spring league doesn't use it and I wish they did. I think it's best in low divisions, as the presence of a ringer really stands out in those divisions. In my spring league, we had a game we got blown out 12-2, but 1 guy on the other team scored 8 of those goals

BlueJazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2014, 09:18 AM
fryer98

Quote:
The rule I hate most? On an inadvertent whistle the face-off is where the puck is. That means every time you're on the power play and a ref accidentally calls icing? You get a d-zone face-off out of it for his mistake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintAnton View Post
In every league a mis-called icing should be a face off at centre ice (unofficially with the linesman who made the call dropping the puck) wondering why they would remove that or if your refs are just calling it wrong
The USA Hockey rule is how Sleepy described it with the face off in your zone if you are on the power play and the ref accidentally calls icing on the short handed team.

The rule used to be center ice but it was changed in the early 2000s.

fryer98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2014, 12:11 PM
Double

Quote:
The USA Hockey rule is how Sleepy described it with the face off in your zone if you are on the power play and the ref accidentally calls icing on the short handed team.

The rule used to be center ice but it was changed in the early 2000s.
The revised rule about faceoff location after wrongly called icings makes sense. Say the shorthanded team ices the puck. Zebra wrongly stops play for icing. Last-play faceoff (defensive zone spot of team on power-play) makes sense. Why should the team who iced the puck down to the opponents end get penalized by having the faceoff come out to center ice merely on a mistake by the officials?

Double is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2014, 12:38 PM
leeaf83

Send a message via ICQ to leeaf83 Send a message via Yahoo to leeaf83
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tikkanen View Post
I got called for delay of game for standing behind my net as a defense men and not moving the puck for 3 seconds. It was while playing roller, my team would run a re group and with no offsides that can take awhile. I've never seen it called since, never heard of it, never seen it called in the NHL. The ref said if you stand by the puck and don't move it he can call delay of game.

That is absurd. I'm not much into roller hockey but I've played and reffed ice hockey at decent levels. I've only called/seen delay of game called due to either causing a stoppage or prolonging one without reason. Similar to that 1-3-1 Flyers/Lightning debacle, no reason the other team couldn't play the puck there. Bobby Orr used to do it to call penalties and never got called.

Quote:
Originally Posted by intangible View Post
I play on a team who has scored over 10 goals in 4 out of the 5 last games in the top division of a summer league. But, interestingly, I don't feel as if my team is pouring it on or is even really trying that hard. They've just played together a long time, make smart plays, and opportunities arise.

What I do hate is when a team is ahead and there's still a guy cherry picking. That's just trashy. It's one thing to play hard and get up on a team; it's another to be an a-hole out there and TRY to run up the score. In those cases that's when I, as a goalie, start looking to take out feet on breakaways.

leeaf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2014, 09:50 PM
manictech

Played in a few beer leagues where you were only allowed to score 2 goals per game. Played in another with a no slap shot rule.

manictech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2014, 10:44 PM
JZCislesHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by manictech View Post
Played in a few beer leagues where you were only allowed to score 2 goals per game. Played in another with a no slap shot rule.
Per team or per player?

JZCislesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2014, 11:42 PM
manictech

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZCislesHockey View Post
Per team or per player?
Per player. No chance of a hat trick in those leagues!

manictech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2014, 03:40 AM
MNWild9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onetimersniper28 View Post
No slapshot is a stupid rule. A full power wrist shot hurts just as bad if not more. My wrist shot is 60-65 mph, which is as fast as some people's slapshot.
Likewise, some people have wristers upwards of 70 mph.
My league allows you to take a slap shot as long as your windup isn't higher then your thigh. Some of us have mastered it. Still some wrist shots are a lot more power full. I've had a brand new shin guard broke because of a wrist shot.

MNWild9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2014, 09:10 PM
Eram

Quote:
Originally Posted by manictech View Post
Per player. No chance of a hat trick in those leagues!
I'm in a league with something similar. There's a "ringer list" of players that are [obviously] too good for the level. Instead of doing the right thing and having them move up, the player is only allowed to score 1 goal. Any additional ones don't count and the ringer gets a 2 min minor penalty.

So obviously what happens is going coast to coast and deking everyone until the backdoor pass opens up.

Eram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2014, 09:23 PM
James Reimer
Blue & White Blues

vCash: 150
One time both goalies didn't show up for the game, so to score, we had to hit the middle post inside the net..

James Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote