HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Worrell - Reed Low

Closed Thread

Old
02-12-2004, 09:06 PM
PitthockeyFan

vCash: 500
Worrell - Reed Low

Hi. I see I missed the fight between Reed Low and Peter
Worrell. What happened and who won?

Old
02-12-2004, 09:36 PM
Mr. Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitthockeyFan
Hi. I see I missed the fight between Reed Low and Peter
Worrell. What happened and who won?
According to the radio broadcast, Low jumped Worrell from behind and landed punches to the back of Worrell's helmet. I didn't see it, only heard their description.

Old
02-12-2004, 10:09 PM
CanadaAvalanche

They fought once an the other time was just a stupid play by Low.

The first time Worrell won. He landed a solid uppercut to Low's nose and as he stumbled to the boards Worrell landed two solied shots to the back of his head. Up until that point though, Low was doing decent.

The second time Worrell was skating away towards the bench and Low jumped on his back and tried punching him a few times, just a stupid play by Low. If you're gonna fight someone square off and fight, don't jump on their back and try hitting them when the're down.

Old
02-12-2004, 11:26 PM
Breck Av

The first fight between the two was a clear Worrell decision. He landed a very hard right-cross to the back of Low's head. That shot probably didn't feel to good for Low's head or Worrell's hand. At the end Worrell had an opportunity to really hurt Low but took the high road and showed respect to his fellow fighter.

Low showed thanks by jumping Worrell at the very end of the game. He tried a Darren McCarty-style attack from the back. It's always easier to win a fight and impress the home crowd by jumping someone from behind. That lesson was learned on 3-26-97.

Old
02-13-2004, 01:33 AM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaAvalanche
The second time Worrell was skating away towards the bench and Low jumped on his back and tried punching him a few times, just a stupid play by Low. If you're gonna fight someone square off and fight, don't jump on their back and try hitting them when the're down.
Well it wasn't totally pointless. Worrell did give Danton a little spear right before that, and I'm pretty sure that's why Low did that. I don't feel sorry for Danton by any means though, since I like him about as much as Sean Avery. Especially after he was obviously pretending like he didn't see McCormick challenging him after a game full of crap he was trying to pull. I would have loved to see Cody mop the floor with him. After the guys McCormick has bested this year, Danton probably would have been a bloddy pulp after Cody got done with him, and that's probably why Danton kept looking the other way.

Old
02-13-2004, 09:36 AM
Gumballhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118
Well it wasn't totally pointless. Worrell did give Danton a little spear right before that, and I'm pretty sure that's why Low did that.
Whether he had a reason or not, it was extremely cowardly on Low's part. That's the sort of thing that should warrant a nice suspension. Nothing happened to Worrell, but it sure could have. If he wasn't so gigantic, he might have crumpled under Low's weight and gone face first into the ice. I have no respect for that guy now.

Old
02-13-2004, 12:10 PM
Petey21

For those who missed the fight, there's a clip on it on hockeyfights.com under the "Multimedia/videos" link. There's also a clip of the Konowalchuk vs Mellanby fight from the same game.

Old
02-13-2004, 02:41 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

It was pretty low (pardon the pun), for Lowe to stoop to those tactics. He got what Cummins recieved against the Kings earlier this season, 2 minute for instigating, 5 minute major, 10 minute misconduct, and game misconduct I believe. In other words, if there had been 7 mins to go in the game, the Avs would have enjoyed a 5 minute major PP as well as a 2 minute minor.

As for sticking up for Danton.........the kid was gunning at Worrel the whole night. Put a nice hit on him into the boards away from the play, threw a gloved punch at him when the linesmen came in at the end of a play. He was asking for a fight. Most likely he was just trying to agitate Worrel into taking a dumb penalty, but it didn't work. Refusing to fight McCormick was kind of silly.......because he dodged being held accountable for his actions. Still, Danton usually answers the challenge, so I'm guessing that he ducked this fight b/c he didn't want to get a 2nd man in penalty.

Last edited by Enoch: 02-13-2004 at 03:44 PM.
Old
02-13-2004, 03:43 PM
avs1dacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
It was pretty low (pardon the pun), for Lowe to stoop to those tactics. He got what Cummins recieved against the Kings earlier this season, 2 minute for instigating, 5 minute major, 10 minute misconduct, and game misconduct I believe. In other words, if there had been 7 mins to go in the game, the Avs would have enjoyed a 5 minute major PP as well as a 2 minute minor.
McCormick got 2 for slashing, so it was only the 5.

Old
02-13-2004, 04:10 PM
CanadaAvalanche

Quote:
Well it wasn't totally pointless. Worrell did give Danton a little spear right before that, and I'm pretty sure that's why Low did that.
I didn't say it was pointless I said it was stupid, which it was. If he wants to stick up for Danton, then challenge Worrell to a fight and they can go. Don't jump on his back and punch him in the head when he is down.

Old
02-14-2004, 01:09 AM
Laperriere22*

I'm not a Low fan at all. But, Worrell did try and spear Danton. Low didn't think about the unspoken rules of the game; he just went right after Worrell. Not a defense of Low at all; basically, Low just snapped and as pissy as the Blues were by that time of the game, I can't say I'm surprised that Low just lost it like that. It's not like the McCarty incident because McCarty's was more premeditated. Low saw the attempted spear and immediately went after Worrell. That Worrell's back was to Low wasn't really at issue from what I could see; Low was going after him for the spear no matter what Worrell wanted to do. Just one of those heat of the moment kind of things and certainly not premeditated on Low's part.

Just putting it out there; I honestly have no issue with the comments about Low in this thread.

Old
02-14-2004, 09:57 PM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarOutCrops
Whether he had a reason or not, it was extremely cowardly on Low's part. That's the sort of thing that should warrant a nice suspension. Nothing happened to Worrell, but it sure could have. If he wasn't so gigantic, he might have crumpled under Low's weight and gone face first into the ice. I have no respect for that guy now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaAvalanche
I didn't say it was pointless I said it was stupid, which it was. If he wants to stick up for Danton, then challenge Worrell to a fight and they can go. Don't jump on his back and punch him in the head when he is down.
I agree with both you guys. It was pretty cowardly, and he should have at least waited for him to turn around, then just jump on his back, and I don't really have any respect for him either afer that. I was just saying it was a reaction to something Worrell did, since no one had mentioned it yet, as opposed to just a complete loss of temper. It was probably a combination of the spear, the frustration of losing yet another game, and him wanting to make up for losing the first fight with Worrell. I see those as the reasons, not the excuses, just in case you might have confused the two.

Old
02-16-2004, 08:37 AM
fatnickmo

Quote:
I agree with both you guys. It was pretty cowardly, and he should have at least waited for him to turn around, then just jump on his back, and I don't really have any respect for him either afer that. I was just saying it was a reaction to something Worrell did, since no one had mentioned it yet, as opposed to just a complete loss of temper. It was probably a combination of the spear, the frustration of losing yet another game, and him wanting to make up for losing the first fight with Worrell. I see those as the reasons, not the excuses, just in case you might have confused the two.
Everyone seems to put what Low did in the proper light but what about Worrell trying to spear a guy he has by a hundred pounds. If Low had speared Sakic and Worrell jumped him from behind, would you feel the same. IMO one cowardly act deserves another.

Old
02-16-2004, 10:37 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatnickmo
Everyone seems to put what Low did in the proper light but what about Worrell trying to spear a guy he has by a hundred pounds. If Low had speared Sakic and Worrell jumped him from behind, would you feel the same. IMO one cowardly act deserves another.
I disagree. One wrong does not make another wrong, right.

Also, did you see the spear? I didn't. I heard the annoucers say there was a slight spear (emphasis on slight), but I never saw it. I'm guessing it was the normal bs that agitators do to each other throughout the game. Danton was asking for it from Worrel the entire game, so it certainly was in context with how things were being played. He threw gloved punches at him when the linesmen came in to seperate them after a play. He threw a hit on him along the boards, well away from the play (interference....maybe). This doesn't justify what Worrel did, but I'm sure it was in retaliation to what Danton had been doing the entire game (which was try to enrage Worrel into taking a dumb penalty) or something he had just said/did....... Watching the game, you just knew that Danton was deliberately trying to draw Worrel into the box. What Lowe did, though, was pathetic. He jumped the guy clearly from behind well after the spear. Why do I say it was well after the spear? Well, even though I did not see the spear, I did see the replay of Worrel skating alone for several seconds. In that time, Lowe waited until the back was turned, pounced on it, and started throwing. There was nothing honorable in what he did, and there was no reason for it. Danton was playing chippy the entire night, you have to expect that the other team will eventually start playing chippy as well. Lowe didn't need to stick up for Danton in this instance. Worrel had skated away, as had Danton, neither one were going to drop the gloves. If this incident had occured at another point in the game, the Avs would have had a 5 minute, possibly 7 minute PP oppurtunity........that is inexcusable.

Old
02-16-2004, 11:33 AM
Gumballhead

The "spear" was pretty negligible. I am not even sure he made contact with Danton, as it was barely on the left part of the screen. If he did, I am sure Danton felt it but could not possibly been hurt by it. It was more of "hey c'mere, I want to beat you up" poke than an honest to goodness spear.

Low is an emotional player. Most players in the league would not have done what he did. I just think jumping someone from behind is stupid and dangerous, no matter who is doing it, or why. You have to draw the line somewhere. Like I said before, at least there was no injury.

Old
02-18-2004, 12:46 AM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatnickmo
What are you talking about? I'm the one who brought up the spear. By the way, Danton is no Sakic, especially since Danton brings those plays upon himself by the way he plays, and it was barely a spear anyway.

Old
02-18-2004, 12:50 AM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
I disagree. One wrong does not make another wrong, right.

Also, did you see the spear? I didn't. I heard the annoucers say there was a slight spear (emphasis on slight), but I never saw it. I'm guessing it was the normal bs that agitators do to each other throughout the game. Danton was asking for it from Worrel the entire game, so it certainly was in context with how things were being played. He threw gloved punches at him when the linesmen came in to seperate them after a play. He threw a hit on him along the boards, well away from the play (interference....maybe). This doesn't justify what Worrel did, but I'm sure it was in retaliation to what Danton had been doing the entire game (which was try to enrage Worrel into taking a dumb penalty) or something he had just said/did....... Watching the game, you just knew that Danton was deliberately trying to draw Worrel into the box. What Lowe did, though, was pathetic. He jumped the guy clearly from behind well after the spear. Why do I say it was well after the spear? Well, even though I did not see the spear, I did see the replay of Worrel skating alone for several seconds. In that time, Lowe waited until the back was turned, pounced on it, and started throwing. There was nothing honorable in what he did, and there was no reason for it. Danton was playing chippy the entire night, you have to expect that the other team will eventually start playing chippy as well. Lowe didn't need to stick up for Danton in this instance. Worrel had skated away, as had Danton, neither one were going to drop the gloves. If this incident had occured at another point in the game, the Avs would have had a 5 minute, possibly 7 minute PP oppurtunity........that is inexcusable.
You're guess is right on the money, that's exactly what it was. It was more of a poke/hook, when he was skating by, basically to get Danton's attention and maybe draw a penalty from him, or someone else, and Low obliged.

Old
02-18-2004, 05:16 AM
avs1dacup

Quote:
You're guess is right on the money, that's exactly what it was. It was more of a poke/hook, when he was skating by, basically to get Danton's attention and maybe draw a penalty from him, or someone else, and Low obliged.
It's the exact same thing he did against maltby in the first wings game when he got the unsportsmanlike penalty(which i STILL don't understand how you let cross checking a guy in the lower neck go and call someone else for that).

Closed Thread