HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Todd Marchant

Closed Thread

Old
02-16-2004, 02:49 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

vCash: 500
Todd Marchant

This is one CBJ vet whose name isn't coming up anywhere.

Now, I understand he has a beastly contract for this uncertain time (4yrs left + player option at $3-million roughly) and I, as a fan, don't want CBJ to trade him. And the CBJ has no need to trade him because they can afford the contract. But....

Is there any interest in him -- maybe Avs or Leafs?. He has all those characteristics teams want -- character, speed, grit, defensive ability, not without offensive ability. Jim Kelly at ESPN (grain of salt) mentioned that Marchant is the most desirable player for the CBJ to put on the market (plus he theorizes that the emergence of Manny Malhotra has made Marchant more expendable).
After all that rambling -- any team interested? what would you trade?

Just curious.

Old
02-16-2004, 03:29 PM
Impossibles

I doubt any teams would be interested in him, considering they could of had him in the off-season. His contract is too high for what he brings to the table (solid 2nd line center, great 3rd line center).

Also, if CBJ is ever going to get out of the cellar, they need to keep a group of players together.

Old
02-16-2004, 04:09 PM
BlueJacketBoy

Send a message via AIM to BlueJacketBoy Send a message via Yahoo to BlueJacketBoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossibles
I doubt any teams would be interested in him, considering they could of had him in the off-season. His contract is too high for what he brings to the table (solid 2nd line center, great 3rd line center).

Also, if CBJ is ever going to get out of the cellar, they need to keep a group of players together.

Agreed in this aspect, though I do believe that many teams, especially those playoff bound would be very interested. As a Jackets fan though, of all the vets, Todd is the one I would least like to go, aside from Vyborny.

Old
02-16-2004, 04:15 PM
ErnestoGuevara

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJacketBoy
Agreed in this aspect, though I do believe that many teams, especially those playoff bound would be very interested. As a Jackets fan though, of all the vets, Todd is the one I would least like to go, aside from Vyborny.
Almost every team would be interested in him if it was a rental situation but it's not the case with his 4 years contract... so teams are interested to his services for this year... but not for the 4 other years on his contract after that.... specialy not with the new CBA comming up.

Old
02-16-2004, 06:55 PM
kimzey59

Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
This is one CBJ vet whose name isn't coming up anywhere.

Now, I understand he has a beastly contract for this uncertain time (4yrs left + player option at $3-million roughly) and I, as a fan, don't want CBJ to trade him. And the CBJ has no need to trade him because they can afford the contract. But....

Is there any interest in him -- maybe Avs or Leafs?. He has all those characteristics teams want -- character, speed, grit, defensive ability, not without offensive ability. Jim Kelly at ESPN (grain of salt) mentioned that Marchant is the most desirable player for the CBJ to put on the market (plus he theorizes that the emergence of Manny Malhotra has made Marchant more expendable).
After all that rambling -- any team interested? what would you trade?

Just curious.
What specifically does Columbus want? Gritty role players? Skilled players? Prospects?

St. Louis would be interested in getting both Marchant(we did try to sign him in the off-season but Columbus overpaid to outbid us) and Sanderson but what would the price be(and keep in mind these guys would be for a PO run this year).

Old
02-16-2004, 07:04 PM
Ejh18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59
What specifically does Columbus want? Gritty role players? Skilled players? Prospects?

St. Louis would be interested in getting both Marchant(we did try to sign him in the off-season but Columbus overpaid to outbid us) and Sanderson but what would the price be(and keep in mind these guys would be for a PO run this year).
Columbus is looking to the future.

We definitly dont need anymore grinders or gritty role players. Prospects or skilled players are probably what we are looking for.

Old
02-16-2004, 07:20 PM
Reign Nateo

Overrated and over-paid. Marchant would garner very little interest I would say...

Old
02-16-2004, 08:24 PM
billsandsabres
nhl 94 aficianado

he's still an elite skater and penalty killer
i would think any team looking to improve their pk would be interested

Old
02-17-2004, 09:46 AM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 2458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo
Overrated and over-paid. Marchant would garner very little interest I would say...

observation

He become overarted when he became overpaid--until that happened--he was underarted and underpaid

I always find it funny when I guy goes from the underratted/overrated team over night

Old
02-17-2004, 10:05 AM
Mr Sakich

todd marchant - good player, obscene contract. A fair trade would look something like:

Todd plus a 2nd rounder for a third rounder.

Old
02-17-2004, 11:38 AM
wazee

I like Todd Marchant...but I think the chance of the Avs trading for him this year are slim to none because of his contract. The Blue Jackets are paying Marchant not only for this hockey skills but for his veteran leadership. The Avs have enough veteran leadership at this point...so Marchant's salary would be overpaying for them...

Old
02-17-2004, 11:49 AM
tantalum

I like Marchant and think he could provide something of what the canucks could use on the third line so Linden can be moved back to the wing. However, he's a third line player with a stupid contract which is out of the question. Columbus isn't going to absorb half the salary so I really don't see the Jackets even being able to move Marchant.

Think they're regretting those big contracts to guys like Marchant, LaChance, Richardson, and Cassels. Other than perhaps Richardson they haven't worked out that well at all and now they will have a hard time moving those bodies and freeing up payroll room. Based on experience Sydor and Richardson are the only ones that are truly attractive commodities and they already moved one of them for a struggling prospect and I'm not sure if Richardson will be moved.

Old
02-17-2004, 11:54 AM
DJAnimosity
fear= the mindkiller

Send a message via Yahoo to DJAnimosity
Quote:
Originally Posted by tantalum
Think they're regretting those big contracts to guys like Marchant, LaChance, Richardson, and Cassels. Other than perhaps Richardson they haven't worked out that well at all and now they will have a hard time moving those bodies and freeing up payroll room. Based on experience Sydor and Richardson are the only ones that are truly attractive commodities and they already moved one of them for a struggling prospect and I'm not sure if Richardson will be moved.
Marchant has worked out fine for the Jackets. Cassels worked out fine last year, and from the looks of it, your 'Nucks seem to want him pretty badly this year, and might even overpay. Richardson has worked out fine. Lachance, although many Jacket fans bash him for some reason, has had a very solid season.

So, of the 4 guys you mentioned, I regret a total of zero contracts.

Old
02-17-2004, 12:28 PM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark
observation

He become overarted when he became overpaid--until that happened--he was underarted and underpaid

I always find it funny when I guy goes from the underratted/overrated team over night
In my opinion he was always overrated. Sure he can skate, and is a competitor, but he has hands of stone and always was and will be a 3rd line player IMO. Now he's got the paycheck to match.

Old
02-17-2004, 12:48 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJAnimosity
Marchant has worked out fine for the Jackets. Cassels worked out fine last year, and from the looks of it, your 'Nucks seem to want him pretty badly this year, and might even overpay. Richardson has worked out fine. Lachance, although many Jacket fans bash him for some reason, has had a very solid season.

So, of the 4 guys you mentioned, I regret a total of zero contracts.
I agree. No regrets among those contracts. Those players were brought in to fill rolls this team needed. Some are overpaid, but a team like Columbus has to do that, otherwise the team would be stocked with Derek Walsers, Brad Morans and Mark Hartigans.
Marchant and Richardson have done exactly what is/was expected of them. Cassels is disappointing this year, but had 60+ points last year and, I'd say, earned his money. Lachance has been solid this year, but, admitedly, did suck last year.
The reason these players names are being floated isn't because the team needs to clear the contracts. It's because the CBJ are out of the playoffs and when you're teams out of the playoffs, everyone wants to vulture your vets.
The only deals that will be made are ones that benefit the CBJ long term. Otherwise, those players are going to be staying.

Old
02-17-2004, 12:54 PM
MojoJojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark
observation

Thats what happens whenever someone starts a "Who's the most underrated player" thread. If someones name consistently pops up as being the most "underrated in the NHL", he has officially graduated to the overrated list.

Old
02-17-2004, 01:18 PM
Takeo

It's funny how teams makes big splashes in FA or inherit significant contracts via "blockbuster" trades and less than a year later, those same contracts are considered inflated and burdensome.

Heed this warning.

Old
02-17-2004, 02:28 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 1045
Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Jim Kelly at ESPN (grain of salt) mentioned that Marchant is the most desirable player for the CBJ to put on the market (plus he theorizes that the emergence of Manny Malhotra has made Marchant more expendable).
Who is Jim Kelly? Ive never heard of him, unless it is the Buffalo Bills QB Jim Kelly, in which case what the heck was he doing talking about hockey?

I do not think Sanderson will be traded.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
Old
02-17-2004, 02:48 PM
IceBagadonuts

Marchant to Colorado?

Ya know, this thread kinda snuck up on me, but I could see Marchant being attractive to the Avs. It'd depend on the terms... and the whole deal package.

WHY?

1. The Avs could use some QUALITY depth at Center, especially someone who's decent on faceoffs and the PK. Why? See below.
2. The Avs' current #3 Center, Nikkolishin, has an abdominal injury. He's been a pleasant surprise, is now "day-to-day", but those kinda injuries often linger. Without his role skills, the Avs are hurtin' on faceoffs and the PK. A big playoff RISK.
3. If Peter Forsberg "retires" next season (looking more likely), then Joe Sakic plays #1 Center. Who plays #2? Marchant... who is made "affordable" by subtracting Forsberg's huge pay-day.
4. None of the Avs' current #4 Center options (Brigley, Moore, McCormick, and about-to-return-from shoulder-surgery Riku Hahl) offer the total skill package that Marchant does. They do offer decent injury/backup depth and gritty versatility... but remember, this team NEEDS to win NOW.
5. Like Mike Comrie, Marchant's speed-game fits best in the West. Colorado might grab him partly to keep him away from rivals Vancouver or Detroit.
6. Columbus two "available" D-men, Richardson and Lachance, are the type of blueliner the Avs really covet for defensive depth. They're both marketable, but if one of 'em was packaged WITH Marchant, Colorado instantly fills its "holes". Not to toot the Avs' deep-pockets bugle, but few other teams could afford to take on two of those contracts right now.
7.This has the "smell" of the kind of surprise, mega-deal Pierre Lacroix likes to do.

So, what do you guys think it'd take to package Marchant -- AND Richardson OR Lachance -- to Colorado?

Old
02-17-2004, 02:54 PM
DJAnimosity
fear= the mindkiller

Send a message via Yahoo to DJAnimosity
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBagadonuts
So, what do you guys think it'd take to package Marchant -- AND Richardson OR Lachance -- to Colorado?
Skoula, a prospect, and a draft pick.

Old
02-17-2004, 05:20 PM
IceBagadonuts

Marchant

Subject to negotiating the Pick and the Prospect, I'd make that deal. It's a Win-Win for BOTH teams.

Skoula really needs a change of scenery. He'd settle in and play a decent, all-around Top-4 D @ Columbus for the next 10 + years. And, he's affordable.

Old
02-17-2004, 08:48 PM
HFAdvisor

Oilers

WE'll take him bak if u take half if u will eat up 2 years of his contract.... wat so 6 mil?
NICE

Old
02-17-2004, 10:01 PM
Ejh18

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFAdvisor
WE'll take him bak if u take half if u will eat up 2 years of his contract.... wat so 6 mil?
NICE
What language is that?

No.

Columbus doesnt NEED to trade Todd. We will ship him out, for the right deal. But we are not dumping salary. We can afford him.

Old
02-18-2004, 07:21 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
Who is Jim Kelly? Ive never heard of him, unless it is the Buffalo Bills QB Jim Kelly, in which case what the heck was he doing talking about hockey?

I do not think Sanderson will be traded.
He's one of espn's hockey writers -- just a contributor, i think. i'm not sure who he writes for full time. And it isn't the former Bills QB.

Old
02-18-2004, 07:24 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Marchant to Colorado seems to make some sense and it does fit PL's propensity to sneak a big trade in that no one was talking about or expected.

I think I'd probably pull the trigger on
Marchant and Lachance
for
Skoula, prospect, pick

Again, as a CBJ fan, I don't want Marchant to be traded. I was just curious about intrest and value.

Closed Thread