HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Eric Lindros trade - Flyers or Rangers

Old
07-07-2014, 01:20 AM
Trottier
Very Random

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Good question. My answer is no. Especially in the pre-salary cap era, you get a gamebreaker like Forsberg - you just build around him.
Actually, it's a rhetorical question. For no one in his right mind would have traded Forsberg in his prime for that hypothetical lot of players. At least no one in the NHL.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2014, 04:25 PM
Hasbro
Can He Skate?!

So would the Flyers have been better off if Larry Bertuzzi awarded Lindros to the Rangers? And would the Rangers be worse off?

07-09-2014, 11:47 AM
alexny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewall View Post
Looking back, which would you rather have?

Eric Lindros for Peter Forsberg, Ron Hextall, Chris Simon, Mike Ricci, Kerry Huffman, Steve Duchesne, 1993 1st, 1994 1st, $15 million

or

Eric Lindros for Doug Weight, Tony Amonte, Alexei Kovalev, John Vanbiesbrouck, 1993 1st, 1994 1st, 1995 1st, and $12 million
With the benefit of hindsight, the Flyers deal. At the time, I'd have taken the Rangers' offer.

But I thank the hockey gods that the Flyers "won" Lindros, because if the Rangers had made that trade they wouldn't have the only Cup they've won since 1940.

alexny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2014, 12:35 PM
vadim sharifijanov
ugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
So would the Flyers have been better off if Larry Bertuzzi awarded Lindros to the Rangers? And would the Rangers be worse off?
assuming they still make the lopsided brind'amour and desjardins/leclair trades, the flyers would likely have been better off with forsberg, brind'amour, and ricci as a 1, 2, 3 punch at center; and keeping duchesne as a puck mover.

leclair forsberg renberg
zubrus brind'amour hawerchuk(?)
podein ricci klatt
simon otto druce/falloon

desjardins therien
duchesne svoboda
niinimaa coffey/dykhuis/samuelsson

thibault
hextall/snow

rangers would have been worse in the short term, but maybe better in the long term. other than the '94 cup, it's not like they got anything indispensable longterm for their guys-- noonan, matteau, tikkanen, lidster, and kovalev all were obviously very important in '94, but by '97, all you have to show for that group (plus the picks) is nedved, nik sundstrom, russ courtnall, and a re-tread of tikkanen. i think i'd rather have lindros and gretzky as my 1, 2 punch at center.

the nords would probably have suffered both short and long term without the "perfect storm" of forsberg exceeding all expectations, the ability to pull off the roy trade (having picked the can't-miss young french goalie with philly's #10 pick), and using the other (lower than the rangers') flyers pick to help land lefebvre/claude lemieux and eventually bourque.

but i say probably because pierre lacroix was a wizard, and i do wonder what he could have gotten for kovalev, weight, and amonte. obviously none of those players was close to forsberg (to say nothing of forsberg + ricci/tanguay), but on the other hand that's three very prime assets and if anyone can maximize them, it would be lacroix.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2014, 10:02 PM
Steve Kournianos
@thedraftanalyst

That Philly trade bore fruit beyond Forsberg.

Duchesne was flipped for Butcher, who was flipped for Lefebvre, and Sutter, who was flipped for Krupp.

Ricci was an outstanding two-way center.

Hextall was used to convince the Isles to drop nine slots in the 1st round to grab Deadmarsh. The 10th pick via the Lindros trade was Thibeault, used to get Roy.

Still, a rough estimate of the 1993 Nordiques could have very well been:

Kamensky-Sakic-Nolan
Weight-Sundin-Amonte
Rucinsky-Hough-Kovalev
Kovalenko-Lapointe-Young

Leschyschyn-Patrick
Finn-Foote
Gusarov-Tatarinov

Vanbiesbrouck
Fiset.

Steve Kournianos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2014, 03:13 PM
Jtown

rangers easily but at the time, that flyers package was hard to beat.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2014, 03:01 PM
Blue Warriors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
rangers easily but at the time, that flyers package was hard to beat.
As a Nordiques fan, I have to say the Rangers. Only a Stanley Cup could have prevented the move to Colorado. The Flyers package only worked for the Avs: Forsberg only played in 95 for the Nords, Hextall couldn't win in the playoffs any more and Thibault could not be traded for Roy until the relocation.
Beezer could bring an average team to the Finals in those years, maybe he could have won with an offensive powerhouse.

Blue Warriors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2014, 04:44 PM
Thenameless

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilbert719 View Post
From the Quebecorado Nordalanche perspective, I take the Flyers' offer, and the Cups I know I'd won, every time over the chance that the Rangers' offer would do better for the team.

In that moment, were I them, I'd have preferred the Rangers' offer.

From the Rangers' perspective, I think I'd prefer them to take the Flyers' offer, knowing how important not making that deal was to winning the Cup in 94.

From the Flyers' perspective, I think I'd take the chance of a Cup with Forsberg over the certainty of no Cup with Lindros, and would have preferred them to take the Rangers' offer (despite knowing how important Lindros was to reviving interest in hockey in Philly, I believe Forsberg would have done the same when he hit his stride.)
This is exactly how I'd answer the question.

Thenameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2014, 12:49 PM
ecemleafs

i wish the nordiques took the rangers offer despite knowing how important some of those pieces were to winning the cup in 94. a messier/lindros 1-2 combo throughout the 90s would have been amazing.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2014, 04:33 PM
mrhockey193195

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
i wish the nordiques took the rangers offer despite knowing how important some of those pieces were to winning the cup in 94. a messier/lindros 1-2 combo throughout the 90s would have been amazing.
Who knows how Lindros might have turned out under the tutelage of his idol, and without the weight of the team on his shoulders. Maybe he becomes the Yzerman/Sakic type of player/leader that he was projected to become.

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2014, 04:39 PM
Boxscore
#oldNHL

The Flyers deal. Forsberg ended up the BPITD. If we're "looking back on it", the team that ended up with Forsberg would win out.

Boxscore is offline   Reply With Quote