HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

UNB Varsity Reds Thread (Part 3)

Old
07-20-2014, 10:05 AM
Prov1X

vCash: 500
Yes losing him is another blow to the team, but, there is some definite talent coming through the doors that we know of.

Peter Trainor - expect big things from him, I think you will see him towards the top of the team in scoring, if not the AUS.

Chris Carrozzi - Big kid, good pedigree, with him and Joel, should be a solid tandem in nets.

Rob Mignardi - probably will be third line, can add some scoring I believe

Cameron Brace - little smaller forward but looks like he is able to find the net.

Alex Wall - Much needed help on the blue line, transfer from UPEI

Randy Gazzola - Big kid, can move the puck on D, him and Jordan (or Petagrave) on the powerplay should definitely provide some offense

Chris Caissy - Should be a solid addition at centre.

Some key returning players, Carrol (as long he is healthy and returns), Critchlow (should be a good year for him, time for him to step up and take the team), Phil Maillet (think that you will him leading the team in points and possibly the AUS), Murray, Petagrave, Robertson (Should be a solid defense, good size and able to move the puck).

Hopefully, there are a couple of strong recruits that have not been announced to round out this team. Should be an interesting season.

Prov1X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2014, 10:21 AM
radapex

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prov1X View Post
Yes losing him is another blow to the team, but, there is some definite talent coming through the doors that we know of.

Peter Trainor - expect big things from him, I think you will see him towards the top of the team in scoring, if not the AUS.

Chris Carrozzi - Big kid, good pedigree, with him and Joel, should be a solid tandem in nets.

Rob Mignardi - probably will be third line, can add some scoring I believe

Cameron Brace - little smaller forward but looks like he is able to find the net.

Alex Wall - Much needed help on the blue line, transfer from UPEI

Randy Gazzola - Big kid, can move the puck on D, him and Jordan (or Petagrave) on the powerplay should definitely provide some offense

Chris Caissy - Should be a solid addition at centre.

Some key returning players, Carrol (as long he is healthy and returns), Critchlow (should be a good year for him, time for him to step up and take the team), Phil Maillet (think that you will him leading the team in points and possibly the AUS), Murray, Petagrave, Robertson (Should be a solid defense, good size and able to move the puck).

Hopefully, there are a couple of strong recruits that have not been announced to round out this team. Should be an interesting season.
Agreed with that. He was extremely impressive last season. I also expect Halley to finish up there in scoring.

radapex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2014, 04:55 PM
Rob

Halley and Maillet were a godsend last season. I really hope they get a quality centre for them.

Randy Gazzola has amazing numbers for a D man. If is also big. I can't believe he won't go pro. Hopefully I am wrong.

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2014, 05:07 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Randy Gazzola has amazing numbers for a D man. If is also big. I can't believe he won't go pro. Hopefully I am wrong.
Yeah I can't imagine him at least getting a try-out somewhere this fall. I really, really hope he is here though...I think his combination of size and skill could make him a real game changer on the back-end.

UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2014, 05:09 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Any guesses on who will wear the C next year? My guesses would be either Carroll or Critchlow.

Old
07-20-2014, 07:16 PM
Prov1X

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
Yeah I can't imagine him at least getting a try-out somewhere this fall. I really, really hope he is here though...I think his combination of size and skill could make him a real game changer on the back-end.
Yeah, hoping that he is here for sure!

Quote:
Any guesses on who will wear the C next year? My guesses would be either Carroll or Critchlow.
Those would be my first two guesses, think Critchlow might be the better reason just because he seems more vocal, Tyler seems very quiet, the type to let his play do the talking.

Old
07-20-2014, 07:21 PM
radapex

Quote:
Yeah, hoping that he is here for sure!

Those would be my first two guesses, think Critchlow might be the better reason just because he seems more vocal, Tyler seems very quiet, the type to let his play do the talking.
Critchlow wore the C in Halifax, so there is a bit of a background there.

Old
07-20-2014, 07:47 PM
rethinking

It seems like a small recruiting group so far for UNB with all their losses, especially with a couple of them going to pro camps!

Critchlow might be a better choice health wise, unfortunately. Cam Braes might be another candidate?

rethinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2014, 08:59 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Here is how things look as of today...

DEPARTURES (12 skaters + 1 goalie)

G - Charles Lavigne (eligibility)
F - Chris Culligan (eligibility)
F - Shea Kewin (eligibility)
F - Nick MacNeil (graduation)
F - Thomas Nesbitt (graduation)
F - Ben Duffy (transfer to SMU)
F - Cam Maclise (transfer to MRU)
F - Antoine Houde-Caron (transfer to Concordia)
F - J.P. Labardo (transfer)
D - Marc-Antoine Desnoyers (graduation)
D - Ben Shutron (graduation)
D - Tim Priamo (eligibility)
D - Keevin Cutting (transfer)

RETURNING (11 skaters + 1 Goalie)
G - Joel Vienneau
F - Philippe Halley
F - Dylan Willick
F - Cam Braes
F - Philippe Maillet
F - Taylor MacDougall
F - Cameron Critchlow
F - Tyler Carroll
F - Mike Thomas (keeping him here until something has been confirmed)
D - Adrian Robertson
D - Matt Petgrave
D - Jordan Murray

RECRUITS (6 skaters + 1 goalie)
G - Chris Carrozzi (rumour)
F - Peter Trainor (confirmed)
F - Rob Mignardi (confirmed)
F - Cameron Brace (rumour)
F - Chris Caissey (rumour)
D - Alex Wall (rumour)
D - Randy Gazzola (rumour)

- So even if Thomas is back and all the rumoured recruits show up they would only be at 17 skaters (12 F/5 D) and still looking at adding 5 more skaters, probably 2 forwards and 3 defenceman as they usually like having 8 defencemen, or at the very least 3 F/2 D with one of the forwards being able to slide back to D if needed (ala Aldred/Hepditch/Friesen/Corcoran/Priamo).

- If Thomas isn't back they will be at 11 F/5D and will probably be looking to add 3 F/3 D.

- This is definitely going to be one of the biggest roster turnovers from one season to the next that I can ever remember seeing. As of right now they are looking at replacing half of the roster (11 out of 22 skaters and 1/2 of the goalies)...and that's if Thomas does return.

- It will be interesting to see how many spots they leave open for pro guys who will be cut (either early in the season or at Christmas). Remember they played the 2nd half of last season with only 20 skaters after Houde-Caron/Labardo left so barring anything unexpected they should have more depth this year. Having a short bench didn't really hurt them too much last year (I only remember a game or a couple where they might have played with less than 18 skaters) but I wouldn't want to take that chance again. This is entirely my own speculation/prediction, but I could see leaving two open spots heading into the season - 1 to add someone early in the season (like Maillet last year) and another to add a guy after Christmas.

- If that is indeed the case (leaving 2 spots open, having 20 skaters) we should still see another 3 (if Thomas is back) or 4 (if he isn't) recruits announced this summer. Since they only have 5 D right now I would think at least 2 would be defencemen, which would give them 13 F/7 D to open the season, with the opportunity to add 2 more guys. Again, this is just me thinking out loud. Would love to hear how others see the rest of the summer playing out.

Last edited by UNB Bruins Fan: 07-20-2014 at 09:11 PM.
Old
07-20-2014, 11:47 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
- If Thomas isn't back ... probably be looking to add 6 (3 F/3 D).
That's on top of the 6 skaters they already recruited - 12 in total (a huge number given that most programs only recruit 6 or 7).

Also - there are no guarantee's in this game, so 1 or 2 of the recruits could go pro leaving you looking for 7 or 8 more.

My guess - they need 4 more (2F+2D) and fill in the last two by Christmas (1F+1D).

The 16-12 split in the schedule isn't in the team's favour when it comes to waiting for mid-season additions.

If they get 20+ wins with 11 Freshmen (can't count Wall) and 6 Sophomores - Gardiner has to get Coach of the Year. Or, Powers if he can get STU into the play-offs with 11 Freshmen.

As rocky as this coming season could be - if this group can stay together for 3-4 years, they could become one of the most dominant teams in the league.

Q. Biggest UNB Rookie Class?
A. 2003 with 10 (Boisvert, Perry, Johnston, Sinclair, Young, Smallman, Frees, Leblanc, Mockler & Cusson. Perry, Johnston, Sinclair, & Smallman were on the 2007 Gold team

The current shortfall comes as a result of Maclise, Thomas and Labardo leaving - that's one line we thought they would have this year.

Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2014, 09:44 AM
gleanerguy

Nesbitt is out. It's on Elite Prospects and Elmira Jackals website

gleanerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2014, 11:18 AM
cishockeyfan

Tyler Carroll - Would not surprise me for Carroll to not be back possibly a pro offer. I do not in anyway see Carroll being named Team Captain, not even sure as an Alternate. Critchelow is the likely Captain, Braes and Robertson prob alternates. Not positive of what type of Numbers Carroll will put up if healthy. He really thrived off of Chris Culligan at center, and not sure if that type of center will be available for him. A likely number one center will prob play with Maillet and Haley on the wings

Someone mentioned the two biggest standout loses would be Culligan and Thomas, not so sure about Mike Thomas, but Nick McNeil is a killer, not only did he put up points but his puck possession along the boards was second to none, and his Penalty killing was
fantastic.

I really think this will be the first year since 2006-07 or some would argue 2005-06 that UNB is a great team but only a great team amongs other great Teams in the AUS and CIS. Regardless if they have won the University Cup or not over the past 8 Seasons, UNB has been the team or top2 to beat in the Country and really could have won 8 Straight nationals easily

cishockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2014, 11:44 AM
radapex

Quote:
Originally Posted by cishockeyfan View Post
Tyler Carroll - Would not surprise me for Carroll to not be back possibly a pro offer. I do not in anyway see Carroll being named Team Captain, not even sure as an Alternate. Critchelow is the likely Captain, Braes and Robertson prob alternates. Not positive of what type of Numbers Carroll will put up if healthy. He really thrived off of Chris Culligan at center, and not sure if that type of center will be available for him. A likely number one center will prob play with Maillet and Haley on the wings

Someone mentioned the two biggest standout loses would be Culligan and Thomas, not so sure about Mike Thomas, but Nick McNeil is a killer, not only did he put up points but his puck possession along the boards was second to none, and his Penalty killing was
fantastic.

I really think this will be the first year since 2006-07 or some would argue 2005-06 that UNB is a great team but only a great team amongs other great Teams in the AUS and CIS. Regardless if they have won the University Cup or not over the past 8 Seasons, UNB has been the team or top2 to beat in the Country and really could have won 8 Straight nationals easily
This could certainly be the first time in what - a decade? - that UNB doesn't rank in the top 3 nationally.

Old
07-21-2014, 06:24 PM
Prov1X

Quote:

fantastic.

As talented as Carrol is, although I think that he has a couple of pro offers, I think with the recent injuries, I think that he might stick it out and get his degree. (or at least is probably the safe thing to do) One more concussion and I think that you are looking at a forced retirement Still think he is/can be the most dominant player in the AUS when he wants to be and is healthy.

If the current recruits do stay and do not go pro, (as a few are going to rookie camps) and a couple of unannounced recruits show up, I think that you are looking at a very good team for the next 2-3 years.

Old
07-21-2014, 08:59 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Tyler Carroll - Would not surprise me for Carroll to not be back possibly a pro offer. I do not in anyway see Carroll being named Team Captain, not even sure as an Alternate. Critchelow is the likely Captain, Braes and Robertson prob alternates.
Everything I have heard so far is that he will be back.

Remember, he was a captain in junior too so he has that background as well.

As far as going pro...if he didn't get a pro contract after his breakout 2012-2013 season (which included an MVP performance at the UCup in front of a number scouts), I can't imagine him getting one after this past year when he was injured the majority of time.

Old
07-21-2014, 09:00 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
If the current recruits do stay and do not go pro, (as a few are going to rookie camps) and a couple of unannounced recruits show up, I think that you are looking at a very good team for the next 2-3 years.
Who got invited to rookie camps?

Old
07-22-2014, 11:23 AM
Prov1X

Heard that Chris Caissy has, even though he is not with them anymore, Cam MacLise was invited back to rookie camp.

Old
07-22-2014, 09:03 PM
Prov1X

Quote:
Everything I have heard so far is that he will be back.

Remember, he was a captain in junior too so he has that background as well.

As far as going pro...if he didn't get a pro contract after his breakout 2012-2013 season (which included an MVP performance at the UCup in front of a number scouts), I can't imagine him getting one after this past year when he was injured the majority of time.
I have not heard anything to the contrary, believe that he will be back and hoping for a healthy season!

Old
07-28-2014, 02:25 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

I wonder if Victoriaville Tiger's forward Angelo Miceli will skip his overage year to come to UNB and play with the two Phill's? Maybe next year?

Another Tiger, Carl-Antoine Delisle, has committed to UQTR.

Old
07-28-2014, 06:40 PM
Prov1X

Quote:
Didn't know this, but I guess he was at San Jose's development camp this July.

Old
07-30-2014, 08:02 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Carrozzi's mask for next year...

http://instagram.com/p/rCAoVyEA5M/

Old
07-30-2014, 09:18 PM
Rob

Quote:
Carrozzi's mask for next year...

http://instagram.com/p/rCAoVyEA5M/
I guess we better change our name back to the Red Devils.

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2014, 11:59 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
I guess we better change our name back to the Red Devils.
Works for me.

Old
08-01-2014, 04:25 PM
freddy123

2014-2015 Season Passes/Ticket Info Available

Season passes go on sale September 2. As far as I can remember everything is the same as last year. Still reserved seating for all games (including playoffs) and the cost stayed the same at $225. Individual game tickets stay the same as well, $12 for regular season, $15 for playoffs.

http://varsityreds.ca/sports/mice/20...release_august

freddy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2014, 08:29 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

The UNB schedule on their website has been updated to show the pre-season games:

September 15th at STU
September 20th vs. Nipissing
September 27th at UPEI
October 4th at Boston College
October 5th at Maine

January 2nd vs. Windsor
January 3rd vs. Windsor

If these are the only exhibition games they are playing this year it is kind of a disappointing IMO, especially only having 3 home games (and just 1 in the pre-season). Hopefully there are a few more in the works, but just haven't been announced yet.

http://varsityreds.ca/sports/mice/2014-15/schedule