HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What's the odds on Draisaitl making the team?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-22-2014, 04:06 AM
  #51
CorpseFX
Registered User
 
CorpseFX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Milwaukee
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 7,741
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue And Orange View Post
I would like to send him back to juniors and make him work on his skating.
if the coaching in midgets/juniors wasnt already working on this kids skating = th whole development system up there is total bull**** / a joke.

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2014, 09:43 AM
  #52
Nihilist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 411
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Positive View Post
We had a similar set up with Nurse though. We just ditched Whitney and the obvious hole in the lineup was a LHD to play with Schultz. MacT could have use Nurse, or even Klefbom. Instead he went out and brought in that depth. This was likely done specifically to keep those two young D off the roster.

The only difference with Draisaitl is that we haven't brought in those place holder players yet, but the summer is far from over. We acquired Grebeshkov at about this time last year.
When you phrase it like this, it seems the choice is obvious for the betterment of the club :p

Nihilist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2014, 09:56 AM
  #53
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,768
vCash: 50
Odds were pretty darn good whoever we drafted was going to be in the NHL this year, not because of our lack of depth but because top 3 picks tend to make the NHL. Then add that we drafted a guy who already has NHL size and I think you are hard pressed to find a lot of guys that won't make the NHL right away. Then add that we lack centers and size and it really is LD's spot to lose.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2014, 10:10 AM
  #54
Nihilist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 411
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Odds were pretty darn good whoever we drafted was going to be in the NHL this year, not because of our lack of depth but because top 3 picks tend to make the NHL. Then add that we drafted a guy who already has NHL size and I think you are hard pressed to find a lot of guys that won't make the NHL right away. Then add that we lack centers and size and it really is LD's spot to lose.
I think of Barkov and Landeskog as comparables in this regard.

Nihilist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2014, 10:38 AM
  #55
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan
 
5RingsAndABeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 11,511
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I honestly don't think we've rushed anyone.

6th and 8th picks like Monahan and Nichuskhin get to play right away these days, how can you really justify sending RNH back after 9 games where he led the entire team in scoring? Colorado played Duchene, Landeskog, and MacKinnon all immediately too, hell even O'Reilly played right out of his draft year I think and he's a 2nd round pick, lol ... why isn't there a problem there?

Hall was ready to play and there's noting the OHL would teach Yakupov either.

Paajarvi is the one I think that could've had an arguement for staying back another year, but he honestly played as well as Hall and Eberle in his pre-season stint here.

We almost made the playoffs in Gagner's rookie season.

The difference is in Gagner's rookie year the team had a good d-corps, OK goaltending, and forwards that did a lot of dirty work (Stoll, Glencross, Torres, Horcoff for a while).

Our issue is we haven't had a roster anywhere near that complete since.

Even though Joni Pitkanen was a headcase, his impact on the d-corps and moving the puck was really underrated too I think. Our record with him in the lineup vs. him out was pretty substantially different as I recall.
Thank you. Nobody bats an eye when other teams play physically-capable players in their draft year but somehow everyone is going crazy over Draisaitl. Sometimes players will learn more from the NHL, even if their game isn't fully polished.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2014, 10:42 AM
  #56
Blue And Orange
Kevin Lowe Must GO!!
 
Blue And Orange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,443
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpseFX View Post
if the coaching in midgets/juniors wasnt already working on this kids skating = th whole development system up there is total bull**** / a joke.
SO what are you implying?

Throw him in the wolves and watch him get eaten alive. Because that works so well

Blue And Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2014, 11:24 AM
  #57
Boondockjock
Registered User
 
Boondockjock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 19
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaak16 View Post
It seems to me higher levels of competition are what improves a players skating because it becomes a necessity to survive. If it's other issues, such as needing a skill-set to mature, or learning the defensive side of the game, then I can see the value in sending a player back to junior.

Skating and athleticism increases with greater levels of competition IMO.
I couldn't possibly agree with this more...

I would love to see us have the proper competition in place so that the spot isn't just given to him. However, as we have all said - this is the Oilers we are talking about here...

IMO, Drai makes the team to start the season, regardless of having the 2C we so desperately need....

Boondockjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2014, 12:23 PM
  #58
Ovechking
Registered User
 
Ovechking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,133
vCash: 732
I'll say 99%. We've got an excellent skating coach in Serdachny, and I think he will play sheltered 3rd line ES minutes.

Ovechking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2014, 12:40 PM
  #59
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
Bozo Buddies
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 51,812
vCash: 500
He'll be here, the only question is how much will he play and how successful will he be? We have a lot of quality wingers to play him with which should really help him out.

__________________
Treat Others As You Would Like To Be Treated
Bryanbryoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2014, 12:43 PM
  #60
Ovechking
Registered User
 
Ovechking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,133
vCash: 732
I'm most excited at the thought of having Boyd Gordon teach him how to win draws. Could be huge for his future as an elite center.

Ovechking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2014, 02:27 PM
  #61
wings5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,506
vCash: 500
Just a question on Draisaitl, could he be loaned to a team in Europe like say the DEL of FEL for example?

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2014, 02:35 PM
  #62
IV XIV XCI
Registered User
 
IV XIV XCI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Van
Posts: 905
vCash: 500
What do we know about Leon's faceoff skills vs different types of opponents?

When Nuge came in he was largely overpowered in the circle but he has slowly improved.
With Leon it likely won't be a strength issue but there are several other elements of faceoffs to learn and harness.

Hopefully this will be an area of strength for him in his career rather than a trouble spot. It will be hard on Gordon to have to be responsible for taking D'end draws for both Nuge and Leon this year or next.

IV XIV XCI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2014, 02:45 PM
  #63
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,768
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by IV XIV XCI View Post
What do we know about Leon's faceoff skills vs different types of opponents?

When Nuge came in he was largely overpowered in the circle but he has slowly improved.
With Leon it likely won't be a strength issue but there are several other elements of faceoffs to learn and harness.

Hopefully this will be an area of strength for him in his career rather than a trouble spot. It will be hard on Gordon to have to be responsible for taking D'end draws for both Nuge and Leon this year or next.
How is that any different than last year?

As for the rest I don't know that it really matters what a guy does in junior. Whole new ball game once you go pro, plus weren't they changing how you lineup at draws this year?

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2014, 02:50 PM
  #64
Blue And Orange
Kevin Lowe Must GO!!
 
Blue And Orange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,443
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
He'll be here, the only question is how much will he play and how successful will he be? We have a lot of quality wingers to play him with which should really help him out.
The question is:

Can his skating improve? I'm not sold on his skating and in the NHL he'll get eaten alive.

Also, how is his faceoffs?

How is his two way play?

I would rather give him another year in junior before bringing him up. Let Arcobello take the #2C spot if we can't find an actual #2C and see how we do.

Blue And Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2014, 02:53 PM
  #65
IV XIV XCI
Registered User
 
IV XIV XCI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Van
Posts: 905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
How is that any different than last year?

As for the rest I don't know that it really matters what a guy does in junior. Whole new ball game once you go pro, plus weren't they changing how you lineup at draws this year?
Yeah, true. But I guess what I was hoping to say, in a more positive manner, is that if Leon happens to be a stud in the circle (lets say hovering near 0.500) then it would be a huge bonus for us as it would keep our checking line (or where ever Gordon plays) fresher. Not to mention the fact that winning draws in and of itself is huge for team possession and, in the long term, leads to more wins.

So Leon, if you're listening - work on those feet and become Adam Oates in the circle.

Please and Thanks (bitte und danke).

IV XIV XCI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2014, 03:13 PM
  #66
Aerchon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,738
vCash: 500
I recently read that he is currently spending 3-4 days a weak with a skating trainer and really wants to improve his skating and work away from the puck.

Impressive.

Aerchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2014, 04:11 PM
  #67
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit
 
dustrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,627
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerchon View Post
I recently read that he is currently spending 3-4 days a weak with a skating trainer and really wants to improve his skating and work away from the puck.

Impressive.
I think Gregor said 2x/week just on skating, then 2-3 days/week on other stuff - mostly d-zone stuff.

He's spending the rest of the summer here in Edmonton, already working on what everyone says are his deficiencies. What a great attitude.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2014, 04:13 PM
  #68
canovin
Klefbom's charm
 
canovin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: 780
Posts: 1,320
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
I think Gregor said 2x/week just on skating, then 2-3 days/week on other stuff - mostly d-zone stuff.

He's spending the rest of the summer here in Edmonton, already working on what everyone says are his deficiencies. What a great attitude.
And 5 days/week in the gym.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Grego...418/story.html

canovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2014, 04:17 PM
  #69
Ovechking
Registered User
 
Ovechking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,133
vCash: 732
Kid's gonna wear himself out before the season even starts.

Ovechking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2014, 04:27 PM
  #70
Tarus
Fire Mact
 
Tarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechking View Post
Kid's gonna wear himself out before the season even starts.
He'd be a pretty piss-poor athlete if he wore himself out in a couple of months training 5 times a week at 18 years of age.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2014, 04:34 PM
  #71
Ovechking
Registered User
 
Ovechking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,133
vCash: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
He'd be a pretty piss-poor athlete if he wore himself out in a couple of months training 5 times a week at 18 years of age.
5 gym days and 5 on ice days per week is a bit much. Either he has two rest days and does gym and on ice in the same day, or he just never rests.

Love the attitude and motivation though!

Ovechking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2014, 04:46 PM
  #72
PETRYDISH
Registered User
 
PETRYDISH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,773
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechking View Post
5 gym days and 5 on ice days per week is a bit much. Either he has two rest days and does gym and on ice in the same day, or he just never rests.

Love the attitude and motivation though!
I'm sure it's all completely controlled to allow for enough rest. These guys have access to the best training and knowledge. It's very easy to work on skating then lift weights after a few hours of recovery and proper food. Also it says he's with an on ice instructor twice a week, not five.

PETRYDISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2014, 04:52 PM
  #73
OiledUp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechking View Post
5 gym days and 5 on ice days per week is a bit much. Either he has two rest days and does gym and on ice in the same day, or he just never rests.

Love the attitude and motivation though!
Working out 10 times a week is in no way extreme for an elite athlete. Actually for pre-season I'd say it's pretty much bare minimum.

OiledUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2014, 05:11 PM
  #74
Ovechking
Registered User
 
Ovechking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,133
vCash: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETRYDISH View Post
I'm sure it's all completely controlled to allow for enough rest. These guys have access to the best training and knowledge. It's very easy to work on skating then lift weights after a few hours of recovery and proper food. Also it says he's with an on ice instructor twice a week, not five.
Yeah, true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OiledUp View Post
Working out 10 times a week is in no way extreme for an elite athlete. Actually for pre-season I'd say it's pretty much bare minimum.
Really? Seems like a lot to me...

Ovechking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2014, 06:01 PM
  #75
Tw0Shoes
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 800
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechking View Post
Yeah, true.


Really? Seems like a lot to me...
Most rowers in University do 2 a days, 7 days a week.

Tw0Shoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:32 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.