HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: The Great Upstate/Downstate NY Argument

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-08-2007, 02:16 PM
  #76
Crease
Registered User
 
Crease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashew View Post
hey now, you're talkin smack about my team. You did NOT kill SC.
How can you say that without even asking what team I was on or what year I played? And yes, we did.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 02:22 PM
  #77
Kashew*
 
Kashew*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Imaginationland
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 7,381
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kashew* Send a message via MSN to Kashew*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease29 View Post
How can you say that without even asking what team I was on or what year I played? And yes, we did.
what team were you on?

Kashew* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 02:23 PM
  #78
Crease
Registered User
 
Crease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,833
vCash: 500
Clarkstown North 2000-2004

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 02:38 PM
  #79
Kashew*
 
Kashew*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Imaginationland
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 7,381
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kashew* Send a message via MSN to Kashew*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease29 View Post
Clarkstown North 2000-2004
who? lol

Kashew* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 02:44 PM
  #80
Crease
Registered User
 
Crease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashew View Post
who? lol
The guys that beat you 5-1 in your own house en route to a 27-0 Division I regular season and playoffs. Lost in the state quarters though.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 02:47 PM
  #81
Kashew*
 
Kashew*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Imaginationland
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 7,381
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kashew* Send a message via MSN to Kashew*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease29 View Post
The guys that beat you 5-1 in your own house en route to a 27-0 Division I regular season and playoffs. Lost in the state quarters though.
to an upstate team?

Kashew* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 02:58 PM
  #82
Crease
Registered User
 
Crease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashew View Post
to an upstate team?
I guess your point is that upstate hockey is much better than downstate hockey, which I would agree with two exceptions. The two best programs down here are Suffern and Clarkstown North and both teams would give any of the better teams in upstate New York a run for their money.

In my four years of varsity hockey we only lost two games to upstate teams:
Salmon River - completely dominated us in the state championships, they were unreal in 2002.
Glens Fall - we blew a lead in the third period of the state quarterfinals in 2003.

Our wins (all away) were:
Shaker-Colonie 5-1
Shenendoah 4-3 (they were a VERY good team)
Aquinas Institute in the 2002 state semifinals 4-0
South Glens Falls in the 2002 state quarterfinals 8-3

The western NY teams are very good programs, unfortunately they're starting to lose a lot of their players to juniors.


Last edited by Crease: 04-08-2007 at 03:04 PM.
Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 03:39 PM
  #83
Titan124
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,683
vCash: 500
When I lived in NY, I referred to pretty much everything that wasn't Long Island or NYC as upstate.

Titan124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 04:08 PM
  #84
xander
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Section A Lynah Rink
Posts: 4,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease29 View Post
There's real no other way to describe it. It's just a normal diner. The only catch is that when you're driving through the barren wasteland on route 17 where each exit is 5 miles apart, Roscoe Diner serves as a beacon of hope for students heading to Binghamton, Syracuse, Ithaca, Rochester, or Buffalo.
The Roscoe Diner is great, but I can't believe that any one who drives 17 on a consistent basis would call any any stretch of it anything but upstate. Route 17 is about as country as it gets.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 04:16 PM
  #85
TheSabre
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Personally, my belief is that New York is geographically divided into three parts:

1) Downstate: NYC, Long Island, Binghamton, and about halfway to Albany up the Hudson.

2) Upstate: The other halfway to Albany and north, extending as far west as Oswego, the Adirondacks, all the way up to Canada.

3) Western: Anything west of Oswego.

I'm assuming this is a debate about 'what city is classified as what', and not 'what part of New York is better than the other'.

This is my story, and I'm stickin' to it.

  Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 04:51 PM
  #86
xander
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Section A Lynah Rink
Posts: 4,081
vCash: 500
eh, once I get north or west of the city's influence (anyplace with a metronorth stop) everything feels differant. Because there are few commuters there isn't a direct tie to the city, and as a consequence everything feels a bit slower, but that's just my take.

I'm not saying that the Catskills are the same as the Southern Tier, which is the same as the Dack's, they're all differant, but none of them feels like the greater NYC area.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 06:54 PM
  #87
Choice
Registered User
 
Choice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: nyc
Country: Lithuania
Posts: 3,459
vCash: 500
Buffalo isnt upstate, its western NY. Anything north of westchester is upstate.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 06:58 PM
  #88
Koobs11
aka Back door Johnny
 
Koobs11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North
Posts: 1,621
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Koobs11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSabre View Post
Personally, my belief is that New York is geographically divided into three parts:

1) Downstate: NYC, Long Island, Binghamton, and about halfway to Albany up the Hudson.

2) Upstate: The other halfway to Albany and north, extending as far west as Oswego, the Adirondacks, all the way up to Canada.

3) Western: Anything west of Oswego.

I'm assuming this is a debate about 'what city is classified as what', and not 'what part of New York is better than the other'.

This is my story, and I'm stickin' to it.

This is 100% true

Koobs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 07:04 PM
  #89
xander
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Section A Lynah Rink
Posts: 4,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease29 View Post
Has anyone ever stopped at the Memories antique store? With their highway sign advertising you'd think you were approaching South of the Border in the South Carolina. I've passed it a hundred times but have never gone in.
no, but I consider it, briefly, everytime I pass.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 07:05 PM
  #90
Servo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 574
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaera View Post
That would be Central New York.

No, no. Binghamton is the Southern Tier, Ithaca is on the northern fringe of the Southern tier, southern fringe of Central NY. Syracuse is Central NY. North of greater Syracuse is the North Country.

Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 07:16 PM
  #91
rangerdefender
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Saratoga Springs, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27
vCash: 500
Here's the big problem with the upstate/downstate distinction: The "geniuses" at the NHL office and the MSG network have decided that everything north of Putnam and Orange counties are "upstate" for the purposes of TV blackouts.

Every time there's a Rangers game and a Sabres game at the same time, they black out the Rangers game and give us the Sabres game instead. They couldn't care less that everything north of NYC, all the way up Interstate Route 87 to the Canadian border, has always been Rangers territory.

The only part of NYS that's Sabres territory is from Rochester west to Buffalo. That's western NY, and it's very different from "upstate."

I live in Saratoga Springs, which is really just another suburb of NYC (especially in August). We don't care about the Sabres, and we're sick of seeing their games preempting Rangers games, especially on the "MSG" (it's supposed to stand for "Madison Square Garden") network!

rangerdefender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 07:20 PM
  #92
Servo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 574
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerdefender View Post
Here's the big problem with the upstate/downstate distinction: The "geniuses" at the NHL office and the MSG network have decided that everything north of Putnam and Orange counties are "upstate" for the purposes of TV blackouts.

Every time there's a Rangers game and a Sabres game at the same time, they black out the Rangers game and give us the Sabres game instead. They couldn't care less that everything north of NYC, all the way up Interstate Route 87 to the Canadian border, has always been Rangers territory.

The only part of NYS that's Sabres territory is from Rochester west to Buffalo. That's western NY, and it's very different from "upstate."

I live in Saratoga Springs, which is really just another suburb of NYC (especially in August). We don't care about the Sabres, and we're sick of seeing their games preempting Rangers games, especially on the "MSG" (it's supposed to stand for "Madison Square Garden") network!
Same here in Watertown. Center Ice is a lifesaver.

Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 07:20 PM
  #93
bar down*
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Saratoga Springs
Country: United States
Posts: 387
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to bar down*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease29 View Post
I guess your point is that upstate hockey is much better than downstate hockey, which I would agree with two exceptions. The two best programs down here are Suffern and Clarkstown North and both teams would give any of the better teams in upstate New York a run for their money.

In my four years of varsity hockey we only lost two games to upstate teams:
Salmon River - completely dominated us in the state championships, they were unreal in 2002.
Glens Fall - we blew a lead in the third period of the state quarterfinals in 2003.

Our wins (all away) were:
Shaker-Colonie 5-1
Shenendoah 4-3 (they were a VERY good team)
Aquinas Institute in the 2002 state semifinals 4-0
South Glens Falls in the 2002 state quarterfinals 8-3

The western NY teams are very good programs, unfortunately they're starting to lose a lot of their players to juniors.




hey, i play for saratoga. your right, shen is very good but the others are terrible. best team in the state is either williamsville east or massena. our team upset massena in their tounrament this year, but they are amazing. extremeyl fast. they breed hockey players there.

bar down* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 07:29 PM
  #94
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerdefender View Post
I live in Saratoga Springs, which is really just another suburb of NYC
HAHA!! Saratoga Springs is a suburb of NYC, eh? How many people do you know that commute the approximately 200 miles everyday to work in NYC? Saratoga is decidedly upstate by any definition.

I'll extend the idea of 3 geographical areas to 5.

Western NY - areas around Rochester and Buffalo
Central NY - areas around Syracuse, Utica and Binghamton
Upstate NY - areas around Albany and Saratoga Springs
Downstate NY - Hudson Valley (Poughkeepsie northern border) through NYC to the tip of LI
North Country - Lake George to Plattsburgh to Watertown (includes Adirondacks)

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 07:33 PM
  #95
Smashley
Registered User
 
Smashley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Rawlbany, NY
Country: Latvia
Posts: 2,751
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
HAHA!! Saratoga Springs is a suburb of NYC, eh? How many people do you know that commute the approximately 200 miles everyday to work in NYC? Saratoga is decidedly upstate by any definition.

I'll extend the idea of 3 geographical areas to 5.

Western NY - areas around Rochester and Buffalo
Central NY - areas around Syracuse, Utica and Binghamton
Upstate NY - areas around Albany and Saratoga Springs
Downstate NY - Hudson Valley (Poughkeepsie northern border) through NYC to the tip of LI
North Country - Lake George to Plattsburgh to Watertown (includes Adirondacks)
I'm with this guy.

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 07:34 PM
  #96
Kashew*
 
Kashew*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Imaginationland
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 7,381
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kashew* Send a message via MSN to Kashew*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease29 View Post
I guess your point is that upstate hockey is much better than downstate hockey, which I would agree with two exceptions. The two best programs down here are Suffern and Clarkstown North and both teams would give any of the better teams in upstate New York a run for their money.

In my four years of varsity hockey we only lost two games to upstate teams:
Salmon River - completely dominated us in the state championships, they were unreal in 2002.
Glens Fall - we blew a lead in the third period of the state quarterfinals in 2003.

Our wins (all away) were:
Shaker-Colonie 5-1
Shenendoah 4-3 (they were a VERY good team)
Aquinas Institute in the 2002 state semifinals 4-0
South Glens Falls in the 2002 state quarterfinals 8-3

The western NY teams are very good programs, unfortunately they're starting to lose a lot of their players to juniors.
south glens falls is SO awful. but your point is taken.

Kashew* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 07:41 PM
  #97
rangerdefender
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Saratoga Springs, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=Tawnos;8832774]HAHA!! Saratoga Springs is a suburb of NYC, eh? How many people do you know that commute the approximately 200 miles everyday to work in NYC? Saratoga is decidedly upstate by any definition.

rangerdefender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 07:46 PM
  #98
rangerdefender
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Saratoga Springs, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27
vCash: 500
You're right. Saratoga is upstate. You're also right that Rochester and Buffalo are Western NY. The point is that they're not the same. I travel from Saratoga Springs to NYC to work frequently. I also go to NYC for Ranger games. I almost never travel to Buffalo, and I have no interest in Sabre games. I guess the solution is for the Rangers to outlast the Sabres in the playoffs. Then I won't have to watch any more Sabre games this year, and I won't have to listen to their screaming idiot announcers.

rangerdefender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 07:46 PM
  #99
puckhead1213
Registered User
 
puckhead1213's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 1,338
vCash: 500
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upstate_New_York

puckhead1213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 08:15 PM
  #100
bobbop
Henrik's Pop
 
bobbop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Suburban Phoenix
Country: United States
Posts: 4,842
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
anything past 86th & lex is upstate for me :-X
Wait a minute...isn't Cronie's at 88th & 2nd?

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:10 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.