HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around The League: Congrats Los Angeles Kings!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-11-2014, 11:11 PM
  #226
Delicious Pancakes
Registered User
 
Delicious Pancakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Penner's spare tire
Country: Canada
Posts: 754
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SerbianEagle View Post
Just like some players were exposed when some rules were changed following the 2004 lockout, so have some GM's when it comes to the cap. Lou being one...
Well they still went to the Cup Finals two years ago.

Not really his fault that Kovalchuk went to the KHL although it was a potential risk. I think a big part of the issue now is that the team doesn't draft as well anymore. Also Lou is older now and doesn't seem as invested as he used to, and New Jersey is not a draw for free agents so he has to overpay.

Even so they've still got a roster that could make the playoffs next year.

Delicious Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2014, 09:45 PM
  #227
topchowda
Registered User
 
topchowda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 6,693
vCash: 500
Surprised noone has talked about this> leafs signed Dubas who is Nurses GM. Dubas was huge into analytics and was extremely high on Nurse. I wonder how this impacts the SOO and Nurse

Another thing is now there is a new team coming into the analytics game and will be looking to sign strong possession players. Next FA these guys (Fayne, Pouliot, Stralman, Perrieu, etc) will have another suitor and one with deep pockets. Thats why I am sort of chapped as it increases demand (and salaries) for these guys, who have gone underrated the past FA periods

topchowda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2014, 10:19 PM
  #228
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!
 
Fixed to Ruin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grande Prairie, AB
Posts: 6,278
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Surprised noone has talked about this> leafs signed Dubas who is Nurses GM. Dubas was huge into analytics and was extremely high on Nurse. I wonder how this impacts the SOO and Nurse

Another thing is now there is a new team coming into the analytics game and will be looking to sign strong possession players. Next FA these guys (Fayne, Pouliot, Stralman, Perrieu, etc) will have another suitor and one with deep pockets. Thats why I am sort of chapped as it increases demand (and salaries) for these guys, who have gone underrated the past FA periods
What i'm most impressed with is they blew up the old management. Leafs realized some old ideas don't apply to the NHL anymore. That's exciting to me. No more love for guys that are dinosaurs in terms of ideas.

Fixed to Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2014, 10:23 PM
  #229
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers
 
GreatKeith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 11,228
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixed to Ruin View Post
What i'm most impressed with is they blew up the old management. Leafs realized some old ideas don't apply to the NHL anymore. That's exciting to me. No more love for guys that are dinosaurs in terms of ideas.
Pretty sure their coach and GM are exactly the same.

I'm not sure how you can defend keeping a coach that was as inept with his team as Carlyle was while people want Eakins gone.

GreatKeith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2014, 10:31 PM
  #230
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!
 
Fixed to Ruin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grande Prairie, AB
Posts: 6,278
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Pretty sure their coach and GM are exactly the same.

I'm not sure how you can defend keeping a coach that was as inept with his team as Carlyle was while people want Eakins gone.
I agree.

However, i get the impression Shanahan isn't a manager that moves quickly. It seems he takes his time and considers all options. IMO he didn't use his coach card for a reason.

Maybe he learned something from MacT

Fixed to Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2014, 10:35 PM
  #231
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers
 
GreatKeith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 11,228
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixed to Ruin View Post
I agree.

However, i get the impression Shanahan isn't a manager that moves quickly. It seems he takes his time and considers all options. IMO he didn't use his coach card for a reason.

Maybe he learned something from MacT
Well if the Leafs get off to a bad start he better move quickly, unless he was one of the people who bought into the whole "The Leafs were as good as their record for the majority of the year"

If they had Dubnyk-like goaltending, I don't doubt for a second they would've been worse than us. We'll see how it works out, but this should be Carlyle and Nonis' final year unless they really get it going.

GreatKeith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2014, 10:41 PM
  #232
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!
 
Fixed to Ruin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grande Prairie, AB
Posts: 6,278
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Well if the Leafs get off to a bad start he better move quickly, unless he was one of the people who bought into the whole "The Leafs were as good as their record for the majority of the year"

If they had Dubnyk-like goaltending, I don't doubt for a second they would've been worse than us. We'll see how it works out, but this should be Carlyle and Nonis' final year unless they really get it going.
They didn't make any significant improvements to the roster so there isn't anything that leads me to believe that the result will be different.

I think it will be a typical leafs season

Ultra hot start
Mediocre month of November
Slightly above Average December
Complete collapse by the end of February.
Out of the playoffs by April.

Fixed to Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2014, 10:43 PM
  #233
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers
 
GreatKeith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 11,228
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixed to Ruin View Post
They didn't make any significant improvements to the roster so there isn't anything that leads me to believe that the result will be different.

I think it will be a typical leafs season

Ultra hot start
Mediocre month of November
Slightly above Average December
Complete collapse by the end of February.
Out of the playoffs by April.
And Reimer's probably gone so the onus will be on Bernier to replicate last year's success. Other than Bozak I'm not sure who their centers are...

It's going to be a long year in the center of the universe.

GreatKeith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2014, 06:55 AM
  #234
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec
 
nofool6110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,975
vCash: 500
Ontario's biggest question: who is the better #1C, Bozak or Turris?

nofool6110 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2014, 09:19 AM
  #235
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,545
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofool6110 View Post
Ontario's biggest question: who is the better #1C, Bozak or Turris?
That's actually a tough question, taking contract into account, Turris.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2014, 09:22 AM
  #236
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,207
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Surprised noone has talked about this> leafs signed Dubas who is Nurses GM. Dubas was huge into analytics and was extremely high on Nurse. I wonder how this impacts the SOO and Nurse

Another thing is now there is a new team coming into the analytics game and will be looking to sign strong possession players. Next FA these guys (Fayne, Pouliot, Stralman, Perrieu, etc) will have another suitor and one with deep pockets. Thats why I am sort of chapped as it increases demand (and salaries) for these guys, who have gone underrated the past FA periods
I don't know, I think most teams are already into this. It's just which analytics they look at and how good are the guys they have.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2014, 09:25 AM
  #237
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,207
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixed to Ruin View Post
I agree.

However, i get the impression Shanahan isn't a manager that moves quickly. It seems he takes his time and considers all options. IMO he didn't use his coach card for a reason.

Maybe he learned something from MacT
Well it is TO, if he's going to move slowly he better make sure the team is consistently getting better. That market won't put up with dithering.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2014, 11:19 AM
  #238
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!
 
Fixed to Ruin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grande Prairie, AB
Posts: 6,278
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Well it is TO, if he's going to move slowly he better make sure the team is consistently getting better. That market won't put up with dithering.
The Toronto market is a weird one. That's for sure. I like to listen to talk radio from there since its content i can somewhat enjoy while I work.

I do alot of this when i listen.

Fixed to Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2014, 11:23 AM
  #239
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,207
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixed to Ruin View Post
The Toronto market is a weird one. That's for sure. I like to listen to talk radio from there since its content i can somewhat enjoy while I work.

I do alot of this when i listen.
I saw all the threads that popped up on the main board via things that were "heard" on Toronto radio.

Between the crap that was made up on the radio and then the awesome comprehension of some people I've learned to not take anything seriously that comes from there.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2014, 11:26 AM
  #240
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Tatooine
Posts: 20,207
vCash: 863
Kings fan here, I just noticed the thread title.

Very classy from a division rival (I still miss the old Smythe division rivalry)

Here is to a great 2014-15 season for you guys. I hope your team takes the next step

Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2014, 11:56 AM
  #241
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!
 
Fixed to Ruin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grande Prairie, AB
Posts: 6,278
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I saw all the threads that popped up on the main board via things that were "heard" on Toronto radio.

Between the crap that was made up on the radio and then the awesome comprehension of some people I've learned to not take anything seriously that comes from there.
Agreed.

I will add that Simmons and Cox are working Toronto Star and Toronto Sun.The worst offenders of the Toronto media crap machine. I can't wait for 2016 when Stamkos DOESN'T sign in Toronto. There will be so many tears on these boards.

Here's something for your listening enjoyment.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/puck-d...165706004.html

Fixed to Ruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2014, 01:16 PM
  #242
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,448
vCash: 500
lol at the Subban contract. 9M/longterm?

I doubt theres going to be appreciable value in this 72M buck contract.

man the Habs got bent over on this one.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 06:22 PM
  #243
oilers4cup
No More Koolade
 
oilers4cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Last place
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,261
vCash: 50
@DarrenDreger: $1.3 mil for Del Zotto in Philly.

oilers4cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 06:31 PM
  #244
topchowda
Registered User
 
topchowda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 6,693
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers4cup View Post
@DarrenDreger: $1.3 mil for Del Zotto in Philly.
I have a feeling this deal will work out very good.

topchowda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 07:14 PM
  #245
Puritania
Skooma Addict
 
Puritania's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Omicron Persei 8
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,236
vCash: 1206
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
I have a feeling this deal will work out very good.
Very well.


haha, I'm just playing around, don't kill me!

Puritania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2014, 12:11 PM
  #246
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,207
vCash: 50
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=459848

While it is just his brother and it wouldn't be the first time that someone's family member made something up, this would be quite interesting if there is no deal with Moore-Bertuzzi.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2014, 12:47 AM
  #247
Nihilist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 240
vCash: 500
Thornton stripped of C, Marleau of A

I think we should be doing this every training camp! New captain every season if there is someone more deserving than the last captain.

Nihilist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2014, 12:53 AM
  #248
hallsyoilerforever
Registered User
 
hallsyoilerforever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,603
vCash: 500
Don't see the point. We already have an abundance of A's anyways. I'll like to see Hall become the captain in a few years, but as of now, it'll just add even more pressure to him to lead this team to the playoffs, if he's the captain now. I don't mind Ference as the captain right now. Much more things to take care off, than the C and A.

hallsyoilerforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2014, 01:14 AM
  #249
DousedInOil
Registered User
 
DousedInOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Katy <3
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,417
vCash: 500
Let's strip the guy who helps out in the community, works hard in the gym and is a role model for both fans and teammates. We all know the Oilers way is about living like you're in the playboy mansion. I'm sure one of our kids will take an improved leadership role. Maybe they can teach LD how to cut lines at dance clubs and hook him up with the ladies.

DousedInOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2014, 01:23 AM
  #250
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO
 
Oiltankjob Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 6,067
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
Let's strip the guy who helps out in the community, works hard in the gym and is a role model for both fans and teammates. We all know the Oilers way is about living like you're in the playboy mansion. I'm sure one of our kids will take an improved leadership role. Maybe they can teach LD how to cut lines at dance clubs and hook him up with the ladies.
Nobody has said this so are you trying to post a pre-emptive strike? also young players on every team go to bar and try and get laid Seguin Kane Richards and Carter all have cups while enjoying life at same time.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:02 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.