HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: The Great Upstate/Downstate NY Argument

Old
04-08-2007, 07:21 PM
McRanger

vCash: 500
From a brooklyn perspective, "upstate" is anything north of Yonkers.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 07:30 PM
BernieNicholls9

Once you get out of westchester its all upstate.
I am from Long Island and go to school in Utica, and we go to Rochester, Buffalo, Elmira, and Plattsburgh to play against other colleges in hockey and it all looks the same to me, every one of those places

BernieNicholls9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 07:36 PM
LeetchIsGod2

Send a message via AIM to LeetchIsGod2
haha how is this Thread 5 pages long o and upstate is anywhere above Da BX

LeetchIsGod2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 08:40 PM
xander

After reading this thread, I've come up with a new definition: If you're familiar with terms like "Southern Tier" "North Country" "Central New York" and "Western New York" then you live upstate. I'd never heard any of these classifications until I moved to Ithaca, it was all just "upstate."

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 09:01 PM
Draft Guru

vCash: 920
I'm from Long Island, and anything above the city is Upstate. Always has been, always will be

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 09:03 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Buffalo= Canada.
Thread over.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 09:12 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
After reading this thread, I've come up with a new definition: If you're familiar with terms like "Southern Tier" "North Country" "Central New York" and "Western New York" then you live upstate. I'd never heard any of these classifications until I moved to Ithaca, it was all just "upstate."
Actually, my classifications came from what people call the area in which they're from. I never heard the term North Country until I met someone who grew up near Plattsburgh (now my sister-in-law). I never really heard the term Western NY until my sister went to school in Fredonia and I never considered Rochester part of it until I met her future husband.

The boundaries can't be defined by those who aren't from the area. That's because, for the most part, they're ignorant to the things that make the region what it is. Accents rule the day too. Western NYers sound like they're from the MidWest while those form the North Country sound like they're from Canada.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 09:18 PM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Actually, my classifications came from what people call the area in which they're from. I never heard the term North Country until I met someone who grew up near Plattsburgh (now my sister-in-law). I never really heard the term Western NY until my sister went to school in Fredonia and I never considered Rochester part of it until I met her future husband.

The boundaries can't be defined by those who aren't from the area. That's because, for the most part, they're ignorant to the things that make the region what it is. Accents rule the day too. Western NYers sound like they're from the MidWest while those form the North Country sound like they're from Canada.
hmm, this is interesting. I guess my expiriance is a little differant because I interact mostly with students who arn't from Ithaca either. Thus the question "where are you from" comes up alot, and I heard all of these terms very quickly.

This year is also the first that I've had some access to a car since moving north/west, so I've actually gotten the chance to drive around and visit these regions.

Old
04-08-2007, 09:25 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

If you wanna talk about accents, then anything north of Yonkers is upstate. The further you go from Yonkers the weaker the accent gets. Once you get past white plains you have a very dull version of the NYC accent.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 09:31 PM
amherst84

This looks about right. As long as you don't clump ****tercuse in with Rochester and Buffalo, that is the ultimate insult for citizens of either city. I am not sure how much people that are not from Buffalo relaize it, but Buffalonians have way more in common and relate to Canadians much moreso than probably even their fellow New Yorkers. Rags in six!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
HAHA!! Saratoga Springs is a suburb of NYC, eh? How many people do you know that commute the approximately 200 miles everyday to work in NYC? Saratoga is decidedly upstate by any definition.

I'll extend the idea of 3 geographical areas to 5.

Western NY - areas around Rochester and Buffalo
Central NY - areas around Syracuse, Utica and Binghamton
Upstate NY - areas around Albany and Saratoga Springs
Downstate NY - Hudson Valley (Poughkeepsie northern border) through NYC to the tip of LI
North Country - Lake George to Plattsburgh to Watertown (includes Adirondacks)

amherst84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 09:32 PM
Crease

Quote:
The Roscoe Diner is great, but I can't believe that any one who drives 17 on a consistent basis would call any any stretch of it anything but upstate. Route 17 is about as country as it gets.
I used to play hockey in Elmira and I go to school in Geneseo so I've made this trip about 50 times. The trek from route 17 to 390 is AWFUL. Literally 100 exits in 4 hours. I laugh every time I pass the Beaver Mountain Cabins and the construction in Horseheads is brutal -- they've been working on that thing since 2002. It seems like there's a state trooper parked on the median every 5 miles too.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 09:40 PM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease29 View Post
I used to play hockey in Elmira and I go to school in Geneseo so I've made this trip about 50 times. The trek from route 17 to 390 is AWFUL. Literally 100 exits in 4 hours. I laugh every time I pass the Beaver Mountain Cabins and the construction in Horseheads is brutal -- they've been working on that thing since 2002. It seems like there's a state trooper parked on the median every 5 miles too.
ah, you see my section of 17 is from I84 to Binghamton. It's quite pretty, winding through the Catskills and all. Half the time I wonder if I'll ever see civilization again, nevermind a cop car.

Old
04-08-2007, 10:25 PM
Brooklyn Stroonze

Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2530 View Post
Everything north of the Bronx. My dad lives in Mt. Vernon and I joke with him that "I'm going up to the country" when I visit him
I agree 100% anything north of the Bronx is upstate. Hell......I didn't even know there was a term "downstate" until I went to college.

See ya!

Let's go Islanders!

Last edited by Brooklyn Stroonze: 04-08-2007 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Pix
Brooklyn Stroonze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 10:55 PM
Kashew*

Send a message via AIM to Kashew* Send a message via MSN to Kashew*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease29 View Post
it seems like everywhere around binhampton and all that have ridiculous amounts of troopers.

lets not even start talkin about troopers on the taconic though. they're like ninjas. they carve out hiding spots in the bushes and stuff.

Kashew* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 11:02 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

Upstate is anywhere you can't get on a subway
not including Long Island

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 11:30 PM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoot Whoot View Post
Upstate is anywhere you can't get on a subway
not including Long Island
what exactly is the differance between long island and westchester?

Old
04-09-2007, 01:36 AM
Kashew*

Send a message via AIM to Kashew* Send a message via MSN to Kashew*
Quote:
what exactly is the differance between long island and westchester?
traffic?

Kashew* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 02:50 AM
Draft Guru

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashew View Post
it seems like everywhere around binhampton and all that have ridiculous amounts of troopers.

lets not even start talkin about troopers on the taconic though. they're like ninjas. they carve out hiding spots in the bushes and stuff.
I have some good friends that go to school at Oneonta, and I HATE the ride up. I can't even count how many troopers I've seen on route 17 from the point I get on (about exit 120 or so) until where I get off (84).

And the best is, the first time I went up there about two months ago I got pulled over like 30 seconds after getting off the exit because it takes you right into the village and the speed limit drops to 30 MPH without a warning, so I got caught doing 48 in a 30.

Being from Long Island, the landscape on Route 17 drives me nuts. Nothing but hills, mountains and deer.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 07:53 AM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
I have some good friends that go to school at Oneonta, and I HATE the ride up. I can't even count how many troopers I've seen on route 17 from the point I get on (about exit 120 or so) until where I get off (84).

And the best is, the first time I went up there about two months ago I got pulled over like 30 seconds after getting off the exit because it takes you right into the village and the speed limit drops to 30 MPH without a warning, so I got caught doing 48 in a 30.

Being from Long Island, the landscape on Route 17 drives me nuts. Nothing but hills, mountains and deer.
I've gotten two speeding tickets in my three years of using route 17 for school. The limit goes back and forth from 65 to 55 at least a dozen times in the five hour trip. Both tickets were in Sullivan County too far away from home and school to go to court and get the ticket reduced.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 12:18 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

I got in a 12 car accident on 17 like five years ago. black ice. and i also got nailed by the po po doing 84 in the town where their only income is tickets.

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 12:23 PM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
From a brooklyn perspective, "upstate" is anything north of Yonkers.
That's how I always viewed it as a Brooklynite/Staten Islander......except my view was anything North of the city (5 Boroughs)

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 12:26 PM
NYRangerfn09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
I'm from Long Island, and anything above the city is Upstate. Always has been, always will be
Exactly.

NYRangerfn09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 12:42 PM
bighph

Send a message via AIM to bighph
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Buffalo= Canada.
Close, but not quite! Can you imagine canuck-wings?

I met a lot of good people from "downstate" (my definition: within 50 miles of JFK) when I went to SUNY @ Buffalo many moons ago. I learned a great deal about the different boroughs, and as a result I have really enjoyed my visits to "the city" and surrounding area. I would never say that Queens=Manhattan, or anything of the sort.

As far as Canada, I make fun of Canadians relentlessly, but they did give us hockey, the Canadian Ballet, and some good beer.

So, while I enjoy hockey's post-season drinking some Molson or Labatts, I'll refrain from the name calling of our neighbors to the north.

It's a matter of perspective, so if you're from the greater-NYC metropolitan area, upstate is only a county or two away. If you're not from that area, you sub-divide the state (western, central, upstate, etc) in the same way that the greater-NYC metropolitan area is sub-divided.

bighph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 01:44 PM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
I'll break it down a bit further than Tawnos

Downstate: Greater NYC/Westchester/LI
Upstate NY: Anything north of Westchester
Greater Hudson Valley: Newburgh/Beacon to Albany
Capital District: Albany, Schenectady, Troy, & Saratoga Springs (some include Glens Falls)
North Country: Lake George north to Plattsburgh west to Watertown (Watertown to Plattsburgh also referred to as the Northern Tier)
Central NY: Amsterdam west to Syracuse/Ithaca incldues Utica and the Finger Lakes
Western NY: Rochester & Buffalo
Southern Tier: Jamestown east to Binghamton (Route 17/I-86)

For the record, I've been to every place I've mentioned on this list. Oy.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 02:19 PM
Dash2110

The way I view it, is that with the exception of the city and the Canadian border, everyone is upstate of someone and downstate of someone. Growing up in Putnam County (basically the lower Hudson Valley), I knew that people from the city considered where I live "upstate". However I considered "upstate" places more north of me, like Poughkeepsie, Red Hook, etc. But you have to keep in mind that people in those areas considered places like Albany upstate, and so on. Nobody can really sit here and say "this place is upstate", or "this place is downstate...YOU'RE upstate". It's all really subjective IMO.

Dash2110 is offline   Reply With Quote