HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: The Great Upstate/Downstate NY Argument

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-08-2007, 07:21 PM
  #101
McRanger
Registered User
 
McRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,957
vCash: 500
From a brooklyn perspective, "upstate" is anything north of Yonkers.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 07:30 PM
  #102
BernieNicholls9
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Malta
Posts: 45
vCash: 500
Once you get out of westchester its all upstate.
I am from Long Island and go to school in Utica, and we go to Rochester, Buffalo, Elmira, and Plattsburgh to play against other colleges in hockey and it all looks the same to me, every one of those places

BernieNicholls9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 07:36 PM
  #103
LeetchIsGod2
 
LeetchIsGod2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: LI,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 166
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LeetchIsGod2
haha how is this Thread 5 pages long o and upstate is anywhere above Da BX

LeetchIsGod2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 08:40 PM
  #104
xander
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Section A Lynah Rink
Posts: 4,085
vCash: 500
After reading this thread, I've come up with a new definition: If you're familiar with terms like "Southern Tier" "North Country" "Central New York" and "Western New York" then you live upstate. I'd never heard any of these classifications until I moved to Ithaca, it was all just "upstate."

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 09:01 PM
  #105
Draft Guru
Registered User
 
Draft Guru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 6,858
vCash: 920
I'm from Long Island, and anything above the city is Upstate. Always has been, always will be

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 09:03 PM
  #106
NYR94
Registered User
 
NYR94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,834
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Buffalo= Canada.
Thread over.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 09:12 PM
  #107
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 13,187
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
After reading this thread, I've come up with a new definition: If you're familiar with terms like "Southern Tier" "North Country" "Central New York" and "Western New York" then you live upstate. I'd never heard any of these classifications until I moved to Ithaca, it was all just "upstate."
Actually, my classifications came from what people call the area in which they're from. I never heard the term North Country until I met someone who grew up near Plattsburgh (now my sister-in-law). I never really heard the term Western NY until my sister went to school in Fredonia and I never considered Rochester part of it until I met her future husband.

The boundaries can't be defined by those who aren't from the area. That's because, for the most part, they're ignorant to the things that make the region what it is. Accents rule the day too. Western NYers sound like they're from the MidWest while those form the North Country sound like they're from Canada.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 09:18 PM
  #108
xander
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Section A Lynah Rink
Posts: 4,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Actually, my classifications came from what people call the area in which they're from. I never heard the term North Country until I met someone who grew up near Plattsburgh (now my sister-in-law). I never really heard the term Western NY until my sister went to school in Fredonia and I never considered Rochester part of it until I met her future husband.

The boundaries can't be defined by those who aren't from the area. That's because, for the most part, they're ignorant to the things that make the region what it is. Accents rule the day too. Western NYers sound like they're from the MidWest while those form the North Country sound like they're from Canada.
hmm, this is interesting. I guess my expiriance is a little differant because I interact mostly with students who arn't from Ithaca either. Thus the question "where are you from" comes up alot, and I heard all of these terms very quickly.

This year is also the first that I've had some access to a car since moving north/west, so I've actually gotten the chance to drive around and visit these regions.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 09:25 PM
  #109
WhipNash27
Quattro!!
 
WhipNash27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,067
vCash: 500
If you wanna talk about accents, then anything north of Yonkers is upstate. The further you go from Yonkers the weaker the accent gets. Once you get past white plains you have a very dull version of the NYC accent.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 09:31 PM
  #110
amherst84
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 64
vCash: 500
This looks about right. As long as you don't clump ****tercuse in with Rochester and Buffalo, that is the ultimate insult for citizens of either city. I am not sure how much people that are not from Buffalo relaize it, but Buffalonians have way more in common and relate to Canadians much moreso than probably even their fellow New Yorkers. Rags in six!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
HAHA!! Saratoga Springs is a suburb of NYC, eh? How many people do you know that commute the approximately 200 miles everyday to work in NYC? Saratoga is decidedly upstate by any definition.

I'll extend the idea of 3 geographical areas to 5.

Western NY - areas around Rochester and Buffalo
Central NY - areas around Syracuse, Utica and Binghamton
Upstate NY - areas around Albany and Saratoga Springs
Downstate NY - Hudson Valley (Poughkeepsie northern border) through NYC to the tip of LI
North Country - Lake George to Plattsburgh to Watertown (includes Adirondacks)

amherst84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 09:32 PM
  #111
Crease
Registered User
 
Crease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
The Roscoe Diner is great, but I can't believe that any one who drives 17 on a consistent basis would call any any stretch of it anything but upstate. Route 17 is about as country as it gets.
I used to play hockey in Elmira and I go to school in Geneseo so I've made this trip about 50 times. The trek from route 17 to 390 is AWFUL. Literally 100 exits in 4 hours. I laugh every time I pass the Beaver Mountain Cabins and the construction in Horseheads is brutal -- they've been working on that thing since 2002. It seems like there's a state trooper parked on the median every 5 miles too.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 09:40 PM
  #112
xander
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Section A Lynah Rink
Posts: 4,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease29 View Post
I used to play hockey in Elmira and I go to school in Geneseo so I've made this trip about 50 times. The trek from route 17 to 390 is AWFUL. Literally 100 exits in 4 hours. I laugh every time I pass the Beaver Mountain Cabins and the construction in Horseheads is brutal -- they've been working on that thing since 2002. It seems like there's a state trooper parked on the median every 5 miles too.
ah, you see my section of 17 is from I84 to Binghamton. It's quite pretty, winding through the Catskills and all. Half the time I wonder if I'll ever see civilization again, nevermind a cop car.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 10:25 PM
  #113
Brooklyn Stroonze
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Hoboken
Country: United States
Posts: 24
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2530 View Post
Everything north of the Bronx. My dad lives in Mt. Vernon and I joke with him that "I'm going up to the country" when I visit him
I agree 100% anything north of the Bronx is upstate. Hell......I didn't even know there was a term "downstate" until I went to college.

See ya!

Let's go Islanders!


Last edited by Brooklyn Stroonze: 04-08-2007 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Pix
Brooklyn Stroonze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 10:55 PM
  #114
Kashew*
 
Kashew*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Imaginationland
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 7,381
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kashew* Send a message via MSN to Kashew*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease29 View Post
I used to play hockey in Elmira and I go to school in Geneseo so I've made this trip about 50 times. The trek from route 17 to 390 is AWFUL. Literally 100 exits in 4 hours. I laugh every time I pass the Beaver Mountain Cabins and the construction in Horseheads is brutal -- they've been working on that thing since 2002. It seems like there's a state trooper parked on the median every 5 miles too.
it seems like everywhere around binhampton and all that have ridiculous amounts of troopers.

lets not even start talkin about troopers on the taconic though. they're like ninjas. they carve out hiding spots in the bushes and stuff.

Kashew* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 11:02 PM
  #115
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer
 
Whoot Whoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 2,694
vCash: 500
Upstate is anywhere you can't get on a subway
not including Long Island

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2007, 11:30 PM
  #116
xander
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Section A Lynah Rink
Posts: 4,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoot Whoot View Post
Upstate is anywhere you can't get on a subway
not including Long Island
what exactly is the differance between long island and westchester?

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 01:36 AM
  #117
Kashew*
 
Kashew*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Imaginationland
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 7,381
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kashew* Send a message via MSN to Kashew*
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
what exactly is the differance between long island and westchester?
traffic?

Kashew* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 02:50 AM
  #118
Draft Guru
Registered User
 
Draft Guru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 6,858
vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashew View Post
it seems like everywhere around binhampton and all that have ridiculous amounts of troopers.

lets not even start talkin about troopers on the taconic though. they're like ninjas. they carve out hiding spots in the bushes and stuff.
I have some good friends that go to school at Oneonta, and I HATE the ride up. I can't even count how many troopers I've seen on route 17 from the point I get on (about exit 120 or so) until where I get off (84).

And the best is, the first time I went up there about two months ago I got pulled over like 30 seconds after getting off the exit because it takes you right into the village and the speed limit drops to 30 MPH without a warning, so I got caught doing 48 in a 30.

Being from Long Island, the landscape on Route 17 drives me nuts. Nothing but hills, mountains and deer.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 07:53 AM
  #119
Crease
Registered User
 
Crease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
I have some good friends that go to school at Oneonta, and I HATE the ride up. I can't even count how many troopers I've seen on route 17 from the point I get on (about exit 120 or so) until where I get off (84).

And the best is, the first time I went up there about two months ago I got pulled over like 30 seconds after getting off the exit because it takes you right into the village and the speed limit drops to 30 MPH without a warning, so I got caught doing 48 in a 30.

Being from Long Island, the landscape on Route 17 drives me nuts. Nothing but hills, mountains and deer.
I've gotten two speeding tickets in my three years of using route 17 for school. The limit goes back and forth from 65 to 55 at least a dozen times in the five hour trip. Both tickets were in Sullivan County too far away from home and school to go to court and get the ticket reduced.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 12:18 PM
  #120
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer
 
Whoot Whoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 2,694
vCash: 500
I got in a 12 car accident on 17 like five years ago. black ice. and i also got nailed by the po po doing 84 in the town where their only income is tickets.

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 12:23 PM
  #121
DarthSather99
Registered User
 
DarthSather99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,267
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
From a brooklyn perspective, "upstate" is anything north of Yonkers.
That's how I always viewed it as a Brooklynite/Staten Islander......except my view was anything North of the city (5 Boroughs)

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 12:26 PM
  #122
NYRangerfn09
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
I'm from Long Island, and anything above the city is Upstate. Always has been, always will be
Exactly.

NYRangerfn09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 12:42 PM
  #123
bighph
Registered User
 
bighph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 183
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to bighph
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Buffalo= Canada.
Close, but not quite! Can you imagine canuck-wings?

I met a lot of good people from "downstate" (my definition: within 50 miles of JFK) when I went to SUNY @ Buffalo many moons ago. I learned a great deal about the different boroughs, and as a result I have really enjoyed my visits to "the city" and surrounding area. I would never say that Queens=Manhattan, or anything of the sort.

As far as Canada, I make fun of Canadians relentlessly, but they did give us hockey, the Canadian Ballet, and some good beer.

So, while I enjoy hockey's post-season drinking some Molson or Labatts, I'll refrain from the name calling of our neighbors to the north.

It's a matter of perspective, so if you're from the greater-NYC metropolitan area, upstate is only a county or two away. If you're not from that area, you sub-divide the state (western, central, upstate, etc) in the same way that the greater-NYC metropolitan area is sub-divided.

bighph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 01:44 PM
  #124
Forechecker
Registered User
 
Forechecker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 4,322
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
I'll break it down a bit further than Tawnos

Downstate: Greater NYC/Westchester/LI
Upstate NY: Anything north of Westchester
Greater Hudson Valley: Newburgh/Beacon to Albany
Capital District: Albany, Schenectady, Troy, & Saratoga Springs (some include Glens Falls)
North Country: Lake George north to Plattsburgh west to Watertown (Watertown to Plattsburgh also referred to as the Northern Tier)
Central NY: Amsterdam west to Syracuse/Ithaca incldues Utica and the Finger Lakes
Western NY: Rochester & Buffalo
Southern Tier: Jamestown east to Binghamton (Route 17/I-86)

For the record, I've been to every place I've mentioned on this list. Oy.

Forechecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 02:19 PM
  #125
Dash2110
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 31
vCash: 500
The way I view it, is that with the exception of the city and the Canadian border, everyone is upstate of someone and downstate of someone. Growing up in Putnam County (basically the lower Hudson Valley), I knew that people from the city considered where I live "upstate". However I considered "upstate" places more north of me, like Poughkeepsie, Red Hook, etc. But you have to keep in mind that people in those areas considered places like Albany upstate, and so on. Nobody can really sit here and say "this place is upstate", or "this place is downstate...YOU'RE upstate". It's all really subjective IMO.

Dash2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:01 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.