HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Edmonton Eskimos 2014 CFL season is here!!!!!

Closed Thread

Old
07-25-2014, 12:45 AM
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc08 View Post
Run the clock.
or punt it away and let your great D do it for you...like any other coach would have done

nope, Jones takes massive gamble to....simply run out the clock

Old
07-25-2014, 12:48 AM
Marc08

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboomercat90 View Post
Who cares how close they were. When you're trying something that risky you better make it or it's a complete disaster. There was nothing to gain from that fake and everything to lose. Absolutely no point trying to defend the indefensible here.
I'm defending on anything. I will not lose any sleep over one regular season game.

Old
07-25-2014, 12:49 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ser Woof View Post
You have to wonder what Jones' line of reasoning was there...

1) Give up the safety

2) Punt, like you've been doing all season from the end zone. With the wind. Good coverage, a defensive two and out is likely considering Cgy's O has done nothing all half. Worst case scenario you give up 3.

3) Option 1 or 2

4) Option 1 or 2

5) SURPRISE!!!!!

?????
Did you completely miss the blocked kick where Calgary brought the house and got 7 players in the backfield and with 4 coming clean?

If I'm Jones I'm real worried about punting it from the endzone and not confident in the slightest that we would get the ball away. If I'm Jones I'm also knowing at this point that the special teams coaching is the weak link on this football club.

So in fairness Jones hands are tied there and he knew that the Esks had no answer to the block stunt Calgary was able to pull. Had Calgary needed another I think they could've done it again quite easily.

A lot of people being negative but we were the better club in this one and lost the game on special teams.

WE scored 22 pts (should've been 29 with the STamps TD called back on a lame call)

To put that into perspective Calgary has given up only 30pts all year.

We put the ball in the endzone 3 times in 1 game (yeah I'm including the Stamps TD in that) and Calgary only gave up 1Td in their 3 previous games.

So yeah whats all the *****ing and moaning about?

Old
07-25-2014, 12:51 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 2394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Did you completely miss the blocked kick where Calgary brought the house and got 7 players in the backfield and with 4 coming clear?

If I'm Jones I'm real worried about punting it from the endzone and not confident in the slightest that we get the ball away. If I'm Jones I'm also knowing at this point that the special teams coaching is the weak link on this football club.

So in fairness Jones hands are tied there and he knew that the Esks had no answer to the block stunt Calgary was able to pull. Had Calgary needed another I think they could've done it again.

A lot of people being negative but we were the better club in this one and lost the game on special teams.

WE scroed 22 pts (should've been 29 with the STamps TD called back on a lame call)

We put the ball in the endzone 3 times in 1 game (yeah I'm including the Stamps TD in that) and Calgary only gave up 1Td in their 3 previous games.

What would have getting the first down accomplished? Nothing. At least punting puts Calgary far away, maybe even out of FG range. Not a single reason to try that stupid play and it cost them. Eerily similar to some Kavis Reed decisions of last year.

I don't care about how many points we put up, they put up more. End of story.

Old
07-25-2014, 12:52 AM
Marc08

Quote:
Did you completely miss the blocked kick where Calgary brought the house and got 7 players in the backfield and with 4 coming clean?

If I'm Jones I'm real worried about punting it from the endzone and not confident in the slightest that we would get the ball away. If I'm Jones I'm also knowing at this point that the special teams coaching is the weak link on this football club.

So in fairness Jones hands are tied there and he knew that the Esks had no answer to the block stunt Calgary was able to pull. Had Calgary needed another I think they could've done it again quite easily.

WE scored 22 pts (should've been 29 with the STamps TD called back on a lame call)

I totally agree with you.

Old
07-25-2014, 12:53 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Absolutely ridiculous that people are calling for Jones head after 1 loss in a 4-1 season.

jebus, just stop.

Jones is the best thing that's happened to this club in a decade.

Old
07-25-2014, 12:53 AM
Marc08

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
What would have getting the first down accomplished? Nothing. At least punting puts Calgary far away, maybe even out of FG range. Not a single reason to try that stupid play and it cost them. Eerily similar to some Kavis Reed decisions of last year.

No, it was similar to Tom Higgins decision.

Old
07-25-2014, 12:54 AM
Marc08

Quote:
Absolutely ridiculous that people are calling for Jones head after 1 loss in a 4-1 season.

jebus, just stop.

Since Tom Higgins?

Old
07-25-2014, 12:54 AM
April Ethereal
Eternal rains...

vCash: 907
You gamble and succeed, you're a genius. You gamble and fail, you're a bum who should be run out of town.

Never change, Edmonton.

Old
07-25-2014, 12:55 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:

jebus, just stop.

Nobody's calling for his head.

People ARE questioning an important decision in a game against their provincial rival, even worse that he STANDS BY THE CALL.

But maybe he just really wanted Mitchell to get the record and run our futility against our most hated rival even further.

Old
07-25-2014, 12:56 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q Continuum View Post
You gamble and succeed, you're a genius. You gamble and fail, you're a bum who should be run out of town.

Never change, Edmonton.
There's no irony in this post whatsoever.

Who is saying to run him out of town? People are calling him out on a bad decision that cost his team the game.

Old
07-25-2014, 12:56 AM
rboomercat90

vCash: 50
Quote:

The risk of getting the punt blocked isn't worth the gamble of running a fake 10 yards deep in your endzone in a tied game with 24 seconds left in the half.

Old
07-25-2014, 12:57 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:

Calgary would have gone for the block there by bringing the house and I'm quite sure they would have got it again. This remember was the same half of football and the Esks would still be wondering what happened on the first one. That Calgary got into the backfield so clean and with so many players would sure make me question punting the ball from the endzone.

If I'm coach I manage the clock better there and don't throw the long pass. Keep the ball on the ground and hope to churn out the clock. if not concede a safety.

Calgary had the block stunt and only had to use it once in the game. They would've used it again as the Esks had no answer to it at that point.

Old
07-25-2014, 12:57 AM
Marc08

Quote:
There's no irony in this post whatsoever.

Who is saying to run him out of town? People are calling him out on a bad decision that cost his team the game.
That is still called 'run him out of town' mentality.

Old
07-25-2014, 01:01 AM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Calgary would have gone for the block there by bringing the house and I'm quite sure they would have got it again. This remember was the same half of football and the Esks would still be wondering what happened on the first one. That Calgary got into the backfield so clean and with so many players would sure make me question punting the ball from the endzone.

If I'm coach I manage the clock better there and don't throw the long pass. Keep the ball on the ground and hope to churn out the clock. if not concede a safety.

Calgary had the block stunt and only had to use it once in the game. They would've used it again as the Esks had no answer to it at that point.
If they rush and get by shaw just takes the safety....pretty simple stuff here.

Old
07-25-2014, 01:01 AM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

If they rush and get by shaw just takes the safety....pretty simple stuff here.

Old
07-25-2014, 01:02 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:

So because it happened once, it's bound to happen again? That's not very good logic. You go with the safe play each and every time.

At the very least give them the two points. That play was downright idiotic at a critical time for the Eskimos. Hufnagel took Jones behind the shed in this game and it was painful to watch.

I don't really care if Calgary blocked a punt earlier in the game. There's nothing that says it would've happened again. And it's sure a hell of a lot more likely that the ball gets punted properly than running the play they did.

Besides, as a coach, isn't it Jones' job to make adjustments as necessary?

Old
07-25-2014, 01:03 AM
Soli
Supervision Required

Continue Here.

Closed Thread