HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Edmonton Eskimos 2014 CFL season is here! Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
07-25-2014, 12:04 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
The Edmonton Eskimos 2014 CFL season is here! Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboomercat90 View Post
The risk of getting the punt blocked isn't worth the gamble of running a fake 10 yards deep in your endzone in a tied game with 24 seconds left in the half.
I'm not sure I understand this point. I would say Calgary owned that play if we tried to punt it. Calgary already demonstrated what was going to happen if they decided to bring the stunt block out. Esks had no answer for it. It would be easy 6 and then people are questioning that.

People should remember this was still the first half. Calgary had already executed a perfect stunt block scheme that entirely undressed the Esks coverage. Being that its the same half Calgary would just do it again.

Blame the special teams coaching. It was the one side of the ball that wasn't prepared to play tonight and cost us all game and had us coming from behind all game.

I'll say this too. Miles was flat out pathetic in this game and should be seeing his walking papers by tomorrow. Single handedly cost us the game. Anybody explain how you let that ball drop without even touching it to give Calgary the early TD? Not even in the sun. Just plain tentative and scared to touch the ball. Tbh I wouldn't have faith in that guy playing another down for this club. He was beyond useless allnight on returns anyway.

Last edited by Replacement: 07-25-2014 at 12:25 AM.
Old
07-25-2014, 12:18 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Reply to Insta from previous thread;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insta
If they rush and get by shaw just takes the safety....pretty simple stuff here.

Except Shaw is an idiot and that's putting it politely. This being a guy that saw 4 guys in his face and tried to kick the ball anyway. The right play there is to just eat it on your 25 and at least give your D a chance to get on the field and make a stop.

jebus there was no daylight there to get a punt away and he tried anyway. I have no faith whatsoever this doofus would have enough brains to eat a safety in the endzone even if told to do so.

Shaw shouldn't even be on this club which if tonight serves any purpose may expedite that. Theres simply nothing this guy is good at. Horrible placekicker, horrible punter, no brains.

Old
07-25-2014, 12:34 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith
So because it happened once, it's bound to happen again? That's not very good logic. You go with the safe play each and every time.

At the very least give them the two points. That play was downright idiotic at a critical time for the Eskimos. Hufnagel took Jones behind the shed in this game and it was painful to watch.

I don't really care if Calgary blocked a punt earlier in the game. There's nothing that says it would've happened again. And it's sure a hell of a lot more likely that the ball gets punted properly than running the play they did.

Besides, as a coach, isn't it Jones' job to make adjustments as necessary?
What adjustment? Obviously the Esks didn't have one as its still the first half and they had no confidence punting that ball away from the endzone.

This wasn't a standard block with one guy coming free. This was 4 guys clear and 7that got by the line. Which is obviously going to elicit major concern over several blown blocks on that play. Not one mistake in otherwords to weed out but several.

What do you think the chances are that Calgary blocks it in the endzone if they bring the stunt block again. I'd say next to automatic and especially with Shaw back there.

Old
07-25-2014, 12:43 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
What adjustment? Obviously the Esks didn't have one as its still the first half and they had no confidence punting that ball away from the endzone.

This wasn't a standard block with one guy coming free. This was 4 guys clear and 7that got by the line. Which is obviously going to elicit major concern over several blown blocks on that play. Not one mistake in otherwords to weed out but several.

What do you think the chances are that Calgary blocks it in the endzone if they bring the stunt block again. I'd say next to automatic and especially with Shaw back there.
If Calgary is able to execute that play again to perfection then explanations are required. There were still better options than to gamble. If it was at midfield I wouldn't have had any qualms with it, but that deep in your own territory with a chance to give your rival more than enough time to execute a scoring play?

And that doesn't explain the countless runs on 2nd and long and a complete limpness of the offense again. And this wasn't a case where the opposition D was getting to Reilly on a consistent basis. The O-Line gave him far more protection than in any of the previous weeks.

Thank God for the defense otherwise this game might've been a blowout.

If that fake punt call is a one and done thing, then whatever. But if this is a consistent thing we're seeing it could cost us more down the road. It irritates me that we finally came up against a worthy opponent and basically hand the win to them. It was very reminiscent of last year's losses to the Stamps.

Oh and how about the call to go into the shotgun on 2nd and inches? Again not going with the safe play.

Old
07-25-2014, 12:51 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
If Calgary is able to execute that play again to perfection then explanations are required.
You don't get it. When 4 players come clean on a punt block and 7 are in the backfield explanations are already mandated. Again that isn't a blown block coverage its a complete disaster. Which would be more than likely to repeat itself.

Quote:
There were still better options than to gamble. If it was at midfield I wouldn't have had any qualms with it, but that deep in your own territory with a chance to give your rival more than enough time to execute a scoring play?
If I'm Jones I'm wondering what exactly the special teams unit practiced this week. Execution was poor in every possible facet. Calgary was getting 10yds automatic on every exchange of the ball in addition to the 3 special teams turnovers.

Quote:
And that doesn't explain the countless runs on 2nd and long and a complete limpness of the offense again. And this wasn't a case where the opposition D was getting to Reilly on a consistent basis. The O-Line gave him far more protection than in any of the previous weeks.
Um, we're playing a D that is worlds apart from anything this club had faced before. Calgary just doesn't give up ANYTHING. You know theres two clubs on the field right? Hopefully you know the Stamps were hanging back into coverage all night and making Reilly try to connect in tight and two man coverage. Very few targets were open and Calgary were playing for picks. Calgary wasn't bringing the blitz in this game, just falling back into coverage. You need to break down whats actually happening on the football field to see how Reillys work was cut out for him. It was tough sledding for both QB's there trying to throw strikes.

Quote:
Thank God for the defense otherwise this game might've been a blowout.
BOTH D's controlled the game and as expected. Without turnovers I agree we win this game easily.

Quote:
If that fake punt call is a one and done thing, then whatever. But if this is a consistent thing we're seeing it could cost us more down the road. It irritates me that we finally came up against a worthy opponent and basically hand the win to them. It was very reminiscent of last year's losses to the Stamps.
Last year we had luck to be close to the Stamps. This year we had bad luck and bad calls in the game and were close to the Stamps.

There is a difference and the Esks showed they could play even with the Stamps today. I'm OK with that for the moment. The Esks are a good team that gave the stamps much more trouble than they've experienced from any opponent. This game shows the Esks are in the mix as one of the best teams. We couldn't be positive that was the case before tonight.

Last edited by Replacement: 07-25-2014 at 12:58 AM.
Old
07-25-2014, 01:09 AM
rboomercat90

Quote:
I'm not sure I understand this point. I would say Calgary owned that play if we tried to punt it. Calgary already demonstrated what was going to happen if they decided to bring the stunt block out. Esks had no answer for it. It would be easy 6 and then people are questioning that.

People should remember this was still the first half. Calgary had already executed a perfect stunt block scheme that entirely undressed the Esks coverage. Being that its the same half Calgary would just do it again.

Blame the special teams coaching. It was the one side of the ball that wasn't prepared to play tonight and cost us all game and had us coming from behind all game.

I'll say this too. Miles was flat out pathetic in this game and should be seeing his walking papers by tomorrow. Single handedly cost us the game. Anybody explain how you let that ball drop without even touching it to give Calgary the early TD? Not even in the sun. Just plain tentative and scared to touch the ball. Tbh I wouldn't have faith in that guy playing another down for this club. He was beyond useless allnight on returns anyway.
My point was what was the bigger risk? If you're so scared you're going to get the punt blocked then why wouldn't you just take the safety? Running a fake from ten yards deep in the end zone is the worst possible option.

Even if the punt was blocked and Calgary recovered it, all people would be talking about was how poor execution on special teams cost this team a game and they'd be questioning why a safety wasn't given up. Just like they are now. Nobody would have been questioning the wisdom of the coach quite like they are now. Nobody would have been saying they should have gambled on third down and ten from their own six or that they should have run a fake. Nobody.

Old
07-25-2014, 01:14 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
My point was what was the bigger risk? If you're so scared you're going to get the punt blocked then why wouldn't you just take the safety? Running a fake from ten yards deep in the end zone is the worst possible option.

Even if the punt was blocked and Calgary recovered it, all people would be talking about was how poor execution on special teams cost this team a game and they'd be questioning why a safety wasn't given up. Just like they are now. Nobody would have been questioning the wisdom of the coach quite like they are now. Nobody would have been saying they should have gambled on third down and ten from their own six or that they should have run a fake. Nobody.
I stated in the other thread I would have taken a safety at that point.

But earlier I would have tried to run the clock down with running plays. One of the stupidest plays there was the longball incompletion that stopped the clock. keep the ball on the ground in that situation.

In anycase I AM questioning the special teams. It is clearly what lost us this football game. Jones would be astute enough to know that. I daresay some changes will be made.

When 4 players come clean on a punt people should be asking about the special teams. When a returner screws the pooch on the first ball he sees people should be asking about the special teams.

What I'm asking is what the hell they practiced all week. You'd never recognize that this unit had any aspect covered on the basis of today.

Old
07-25-2014, 01:17 AM
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!

the fake punt in their own endzone is indefensible...plain and simple...the risk/reward factor is too great and at worse should've given up 2 points

that was the game

very Reed-esque

the offense was putrid and got worse in the 2nd half...its been bad all year and hasn't looked liked it's improved a lick

Calgary wasn't good either but Hufnagel took Jones to the woodshed tonight...completely outclassed him and outcoached him

hard lesson

Old
07-25-2014, 01:21 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
the offense was putrid and got worse in the 2nd half...its been bad all year and hasn't looked liked it's improved a lick

Calgary wasn't good either but Hufnagel took Jones to the woodshed tonight...completely outclassed him and outcoached him

hard lesson
Some of these comments are giving the Stamps no credit whatsoever. The stamps are an established veteran team with continuity on the field and in the coaching ranks.

As good as the Esks are you shouldn't be able to beat an established lineup like that with a completely brand new coaching staff, new schemes all over, and with new personnel.

We competed very well. We had several outstanding players in this game with Sewel, Grimes, Chambers again elevating. WE arguably were the better club both offensively and defensively (but abysmal on special teams which is what cost us the game)

WE played this game without Howard and Sherrit and gave the best team in the CFL all they could handle.

jebus I'm fine with this. It doesn't matter that we win or lose this game. We now know we can play with Calgary. Stamps would know they stole this one. Being in the mix with Calgary will become important in the labor day matches and the playoffs. Consider this to be the prelude that merely sets the stage.

hell I've seen Esks club blown away by Calgary for years. I'll take being competitive with them. I also like that it will make this Eskimo club have to dig down deeper.

Last edited by Replacement: 07-25-2014 at 01:27 AM.
Old
07-25-2014, 01:41 AM
camboy

Quote:
Some of these comments are giving the Stamps no credit whatsoever. The stamps are an established veteran team with continuity on the field and in the coaching ranks.

As good as the Esks are you shouldn't be able to beat an established lineup like that with a completely brand new coaching staff, new schemes all over, and with new personnel.

We competed very well. We had several outstanding players in this game with Sewel, Grimes, Chambers again elevating. WE arguably were the better club both offensively and defensively (but abysmal on special teams which is what cost us the game)

WE played this game without Howard and Sherrit and gave the best team in the CFL all they could handle.

jebus I'm fine with this. It doesn't matter that we win or lose this game. We now know we can play with Calgary. Stamps would know they stole this one. Being in the mix with Calgary will become important in the labor day matches and the playoffs. Consider this to be the prelude that merely sets the stage.

hell I've seen Esks club blown away by Calgary for years. I'll take being competitive with them. I also like that it will make this Eskimo club have to dig down deeper.
Good post.

Old
07-25-2014, 01:55 AM
rboomercat90

Quote:
I stated in the other thread I would have taken a safety at that point.

But earlier I would have tried to run the clock down with running plays. One of the stupidest plays there was the longball incompletion that stopped the clock. keep the ball on the ground in that situation.

In anycase I AM questioning the special teams. It is clearly what lost us this football game. Jones would be astute enough to know that. I daresay some changes will be made.

When 4 players come clean on a punt people should be asking about the special teams. When a returner screws the pooch on the first ball he sees people should be asking about the special teams.

What I'm asking is what the hell they practiced all week. You'd never recognize that this unit had any aspect covered on the basis of today.
There was stupid play calling going on all night. The two that stick in my head are the deep pass on first down that you mentioned and the other one was the run up the middle on second and ten with about a minute and a half to go. Such low percentage plays for the situation of the game.

Old
07-25-2014, 02:14 AM
Ser Woof
**** The Lounge

Replacement, curious to see the shellacking you'd be putting on Ray if he had a performance like Reilly had tonight. How come do you think he's unable to progress through two reads before getting happy feet and losing composure in the pocket? O-Line gave him plenty of time tonight. 60 yards in the second half? And half of that came on one throw. Ouch. Overthrows, underthrows, throwing into triple coverage, unable to pick up dropping LB's covering crossing seams. I'm really getting worried about the noticeable lack of ability to show any progression in reading a defense if he's not able to scramble and/or their coverage breaks down. 5 games in now and Reilly has yet to take command of this offense. Fred Stamps is being utilized just about as well as Chad Johnson is being utilized in Montreal... that is to say, not at all.

As for the they blocked it once, they'll block it again hypothesis... Sharun completely **** the bed on that blocked punt. Completely whiffed on his assignment. There is no reason why one players missed assignment would instil fear in a coach making a call to punt the ball when Calgary at no other time came close to getting near a Shaw boot.

Last edited by Ser Woof: 07-25-2014 at 02:25 AM.
Old
07-25-2014, 08:40 AM
Oilersfanneedsdrink

Quote:
There was stupid play calling going on all night. The two that stick in my head are the deep pass on first down that you mentioned and the other one was the run up the middle on second and ten with about a minute and a half to go. Such low percentage plays for the situation of the game.
I could add a few more to the **** pile, like Waiting for the clock to run down before you decide to call a time out and burn about 5 to 10 seconds. How about shotgun on second and inches. This whole game was baffling.

Old
07-25-2014, 09:02 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Last night the team and the coaching staff made mistakes it cost them the game, no question.

I don't think the sky is falling because the Defense still did its job, but he Offense needs some work. The receivers weren't great and special teams, get your **** together.

I'm not happy with the loss, but the meltdown I'm seeing from some is a little over the top, they made some mistakes in game 5, and still could have won.

Old
07-25-2014, 09:43 AM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
the fake punt in their own endzone is indefensible...plain and simple...the risk/reward factor is too great and at worse should've given up 2 points

that was the game

very Reed-esque

hard lesson
agree on all counts

- offence has looked terrible all year, and nothing changed last night
- until we fix our offence, we're in trouble, as our defence can only win so many games on their own
- special teams has been a nightmare all season, constant penalties and absolutely no return game whatsoever
- oline is still the worst in the league, and its not even close
- jones looked like a rank amateur last night, that call at the end of the first half was inexcusable

all that being said, we are still a much, much better team than last year... all you can ask for is improvement.... we better hope our defence continues to play this good all season though, as our offence isn't likely to win one single game for us

Old
07-25-2014, 09:46 AM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ser Woof View Post
Replacement, curious to see the shellacking you'd be putting on Ray if he had a performance like Reilly had tonight. How come do you think he's unable to progress through two reads before getting happy feet and losing composure in the pocket? O-Line gave him plenty of time tonight. 60 yards in the second half? And half of that came on one throw. Ouch. Overthrows, underthrows, throwing into triple coverage, unable to pick up dropping LB's covering crossing seams. I'm really getting worried about the noticeable lack of ability to show any progression in reading a defense if he's not able to scramble and/or their coverage breaks down. 5 games in now and Reilly has yet to take command of this offense. Fred Stamps is being utilized just about as well as Chad Johnson is being utilized in Montreal... that is to say, not at all.
reilly certainly looks a LOT worst than last year... last night was likely his poorest game in the CFL, simply horrific passing.... overthrowing guys all night, terrible

Old
07-25-2014, 10:10 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
reilly certainly looks a LOT worst than last year... last night was likely his poorest game in the CFL, simply horrific passing.... overthrowing guys all night, terrible
Again one needs to consider who he was playing against. A club that gives up NOTHING.

Stamps were dropping down into coverage all day and on a Stubler stunting D that made every foray downfield dangerous. Stamps have great personnel and great coaching on D and are stacked. Reilly was throwing uphill into a lot of 2 on 1 coverage all day.

Gotta remember as well with Stamps playing injured and he's far from 100% the options are limited. you're stating matter of factly that Reilly had his worst day on a night when Chambers was the best receiver for the Esks. tbh I haven't been impressed with Bowmans consistency this year either. Nice haul down on the hot pass but I don't know he worked as hard as he could last night.

Last night would be the biggest test Reilly has faced in his time here. Even at that he looked better then Mitchell in doing it.

Its funny that people critique Reilly, but not Mitchell in a game that was dominated by both D's

Calgary didn't have ANY offense for much of the game. Without 3 special teams turnovers and a bogus call on the Stamps TD this one might have been lopsided.

I'm more than happy with this Eskimos team.

Old
07-25-2014, 10:11 AM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

I might be alone in my thinking but I thought that if you take away the special teams last night, that the Esks were the better team.

I thought our D and was better and the O was moving the ball better.

Bad decisions and all, that was a very winnable game even right down to the end.

Old
07-25-2014, 10:19 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ser Woof View Post

As for the they blocked it once, they'll block it again hypothesis... Sharun completely **** the bed on that blocked punt. Completely whiffed on his assignment. There is no reason why one players missed assignment would instil fear in a coach making a call to punt the ball when Calgary at no other time came close to getting near a Shaw boot.
Reilly played the best ball hawking team in the league last night and threw 1 interception. He completed some long throws and generated about as much offense as can be expected against the Stamps.

My take is Stubler is a great coach and given personnel like this to work with the Stamps D is a force to contend with. In case you didn't notice on the vast majority of plays Stamps weren't bringing the rush. They were dropping back creating an oddman situation for Reilly to throw into. Reilly was looking at a lot of coverage no matter where he was throwing the ball to there. you gotta also consider how quick the Stamps D are. Its crazy how fast they converge on where ball is thrown.

If you're a QB facing this monster you get a cold sweat out there. Reilly did enough to Win against the best facet of the Stamps team. if the special teams had held up their end of the bargain we win this game.

One more comment as well. As good as the Esks D played there were about 6 Mitchell balls that were fairly easy ints that were dropped. Mitchell had a horrible outing passing for just over 100yds and what could easily be multiple ints.

It was that kind of a day for QB's but Reilly was way better out there.

Gotta say though I love the West in the CFL. Got some great clubs and D's and games will be hard fought. We're getting a lot of value in the West and seeing great players. East is just garbage.

Old
07-25-2014, 10:22 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

The stamps played an okay game and that was still enough to beat us. Not going to win against them when they get healthier.

Thank God we get next week off before our annual loss in Montreal.

Old
07-25-2014, 10:29 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
The stamps played an okay game and that was still enough to beat us. Not going to win against them when they get healthier.

Thank God we get next week off before our annual loss in Montreal.
C'mon. I know its storming and bleak out there today but whats with the pessimism about a good Eskimos team?

No way I can see this D losing a game to Montreals pop gun offense.

It would take another cluster**** of monumental gaffes by the special teams (an obvious area of work) for that to happen. But as stated I expect some changes on special teams and I'm really questioning that unit right now. I think the Shaw experiment should be over.

Jones inherited this mess with the worst kicking game in the league and no worthwhile return guys in the stable. That's a lot to overcome.
Shaw was again a fantastic disaster out there. No ability to kick to spots, was kicking to OMG WTF is he doing spots all day causing the covering tacklers no end of headache. Failed to get a punt out of bounds inside the 20 from 45yds out lolol. Got the block, Got little yds on the ball all day and was outkicked 5yds every kick.
About the only pleasant thing one can say is Shaw is handling both duties. Thank heavens we don't have 2 roster spots dedicated to this awful kicking game..

Old
07-25-2014, 10:40 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
C'mon. I know its storming and bleak out there today but whats with the pessimism about a good Eskimos team?

No way I can see this D losing a game to Montreals pop gun offense.

It would take another cluster**** of monumental gaffes by the special teams (an obvious area of work) for that to happen. But as stated I expect some changes on special teams and I'm really questioning that unit right now. I think the Shaw experiment should be over.

Jones inherited this mess with the worst kicking game in the league and no worthwhile return guys in the stable. That's a lot to overcome.
I said I wasn't ready to believe in this team unless they beat the Stamps, and they didn't pass that test. And this was a Stamps team that was missing key pieces (Cornhole, as overrated as I think he is), couldn't find a lick of offense, and scored a paltry 10 points against a terrible Tiger-Cats team. This was a very winnable game and the Esks did everything in their power, from coach to QB, to ensure that the fans watching were disappointed.

Special teams obviously need work but there were many, many questionable coaching decisions. Let's put aside the fake punt for a minute. 2nd and inches and you drop back into the shotgun? Another case of taking an unnecessary risk for little reward. 2nd and 11, let's throw for 3 yards. I thought we were through with dink and dunk. A pointless holding penalty to wipe out a TD, and we didn't score a point on that drive. The no yards penalty hurt as well.

I've been wowed by this team exactly once this year, last week against Winnipeg, and without the wall of defense we have, even that game might've been closer.

Right off the hop the Esks weren't ready to play ball and it showed. Dropped balls, missed assignments, and just a farce on offense and special teams.

That display was so bad I longed for the Oilers. I declared the game over at half time and sure enough I was right. After the game was tied the Esks never even came close to threatening for points.

Old
07-25-2014, 10:47 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
I said I wasn't ready to believe in this team unless they beat the Stamps, and they didn't pass that test. And this was a Stamps team that was missing key pieces (Cornhole, as overrated as I think he is), couldn't find a lick of offense, and scored a paltry 10 points against a terrible Tiger-Cats team. This was a very winnable game and the Esks did everything in their power, from coach to QB, to ensure that the fans watching were disappointed.

Special teams obviously need work but there were many, many questionable coaching decisions. Let's put aside the fake punt for a minute. 2nd and inches and you drop back into the shotgun? Another case of taking an unnecessary risk for little reward. 2nd and 11, let's throw for 3 yards. I thought we were through with dink and dunk. A pointless holding penalty to wipe out a TD, and we didn't score a point on that drive. The no yards penalty hurt as well.

I've been wowed by this team exactly once this year, last week against Winnipeg, and without the wall of defense we have, even that game might've been closer.

Right off the hop the Esks weren't ready to play ball and it showed. Dropped balls, missed assignments, and just a farce on offense and special teams.

That display was so bad I longed for the Oilers. I declared the game over at half time and sure enough I was right. After the game was tied the Esks never even came close to threatening for points.
Judging from your posting (and a lot of other people here) you declared every game but the Winnipeg game over at halftime. How is that working out for you?

I get that this is a fanboard for the Oilers and everybody is conditioned to be cynical and negative but its funny that I'm being the optimist while watching the best Esks team I've seen in a decade.

Not sure why you think Winnipeg game is so impressive. Some W's aside that team is HORRIBLE. Esks should beat the bombers for fun everytime out. If anything I was ticked Reilly accomplished nothing for 3 quarters against a Bombers team that is vastly easier to play than the Stamps. I would actually ask more questions about Reilly off his performance against the Bombers than this one. In this game theres a reason he struggled..

How would you like to be a fan of the Argos, Ticats, Black Gold , Alouettes or Bombers right now? Be thankful we actually have a competitive club. its been awhile. Learn to enjoy these moments

Last edited by Replacement: 07-25-2014 at 10:52 AM.
Old
07-25-2014, 10:49 AM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

i cant believe all the negativity.
the team is still 4-1, if we were **** like we were the last 2 years then sure. EVEN if we lose the next 3 games we are still miles ahead of where we were last year.

Old
07-25-2014, 10:53 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Judging from your posting (and a lot of other people here) you declared every game but the Winnipeg game over at halftime. How is that working out for you?

I get that this is a fanboard for the Oilers and everybody is conditioned to be cynical and negative but its funny that I'm being the optimist while watching the best Esks team I've seen in a decade.

Not sure why you think Winnipeg game is so impressive. Some W's aside that team is HORRIBLE. Esks should beat the bombers for fun everytime out. If anything I was ticked Reilly accomplished nothing for 3 quarters against a Bombers team that is vastly easier to play than the Stamps. I would actually ask more questions about Reilly off his performance against the Bombers than this one. In this game theres a reason he struggled..
They actually managed to make adjustments in those other games. This game, they didn't. They actually looked even worse in the second half, which I didn't think was possible. 60 yards of offense? Are you kidding me?

And you're right, the Bombers aren't that good, which really takes the gloss off this record. But they still managed to get to Reilly more than the Stamps did. In fact Reilly played BETTER when he was being harassed every single down. This game he had plenty of time to make plays and he didn't deliver. Maybe the o-line should go back to being swiss cheese.

There is no excuse to lose this game. The Hamilton Tiger-Cats, who are probably the worst if not second worst team in the CFL, came closer to beating the Stamps than we did. Never mind that we only beat them because they completely went gong show in the latter half of the 4th quarter.

I'm not impressed by this team, Replacement. If their D starts to crack we could be looking at a sub .500 record. The offense is and has been a mess for most of the season and if they can't score points they aren't going to win.

Closed Thread