HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shark sign Bergman to ELC

Old
07-21-2014, 11:27 AM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 50
chl means playing 68 games, 30 minutes a night and getting every opportunity possible.

if its true his sweden team has 9 signed defense already. then he could be looking at playing only half the games and potentially only like 5-10 minutes a game (if he even gets into games).

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2014, 01:43 PM
KRM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
chl means playing 68 games, 30 minutes a night and getting every opportunity possible.

if its true his sweden team has 9 signed defense already. then he could be looking at playing only half the games and potentially only like 5-10 minutes a game (if he even gets into games).
He could play Swedish junior division 2 and play all game long, but that's not a good path for development. Firm believer that the SHL is a much better development league for Swedish defenders than any Canadian junior league. Bergman played his first senior game at 15, spending his whole year as a 19 year old playing against juniors sounds really bad IMO.

But that's just what it is, my opinion. Bergman seems set on going over for main camp and try to take a spot, if that fails he said in an interview that he'll likely play in the AHL or the OHL.

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2014, 02:52 PM
Lebanezer
I'unno? Coast Guard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRM View Post
He could play Swedish junior division 2 and play all game long, but that's not a good path for development. Firm believer that the SHL is a much better development league for Swedish defenders than any Canadian junior league. Bergman played his first senior game at 15, spending his whole year as a 19 year old playing against juniors sounds really bad IMO.

But that's just what it is, my opinion. Bergman seems set on going over for main camp and try to take a spot, if that fails he said in an interview that he'll likely play in the AHL or the OHL.
That's interesting, I suppose coming over to get used to the NA sized rinks would be helpful in some regard. Although, I don't know if the Sharks want to burn a year off his ELC if he doesn't make the big club and plays in Worcester. I also think that most Sharks fans would prefer to keep him away from Roy Sommer if they can.

Lebanezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2014, 03:29 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:

If the options are playing 30 minutes a night in every situation in jr vs playing irregularly in very sheltered minutes when he does get in games in the ahl/sweden league. Then the best option for developement will always be the one he plays every night.

Its the same idea of nhl vs ahl. Is it better for a younger player to play 5 minutes a night in the nhl (playing 1 game in every 5 games) or is it better to play every game and playing 20 minutes a night in the ahl. Unless that player has proven to out grow the lower level then the lower level will always be the better option.

Old
07-24-2014, 03:54 PM
sr228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanezer View Post
That's interesting, I suppose coming over to get used to the NA sized rinks would be helpful in some regard. Although, I don't know if the Sharks want to burn a year off his ELC if he doesn't make the big club and plays in Worcester. I also think that most Sharks fans would prefer to keep him away from Roy Sommer if they can.
I've already said it but I agree with KRM that playing with Frolunda would be best for his development but if he/his agent don't believe he'd get regular ice time there coming to NA play in the OHL is a good idea in my opinion .

210 said that it's not a given that he'd burn a year of his ELC if he played in AHL but that said, my opinion doesn't matter even a tiny bit but I don't want him in Worcester for his 19yo season period.

sr228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
I've already said it but I agree with KRM that playing with Frolunda would be best for his development but if he/his agent don't believe he'd get regular ice time there coming to NA play in the OHL is a good idea in my opinion .

210 said that it's not a given that he'd burn a year of his ELC if he played in AHL but that said, my opinion doesn't matter even a tiny bit but I don't want him in Worcester for his 19yo season period.
Still waiting for official confirmation, but I'm all but certain because of the age he signed his ELC as long as he plays less than 10 NHL games an ELC year won't be burned.

210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2014, 10:20 AM
KRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
If the options are playing 30 minutes a night in every situation in jr vs playing irregularly in very sheltered minutes when he does get in games in the ahl/sweden league. Then the best option for developement will always be the one he plays every night.

Its the same idea of nhl vs ahl. Is it better for a younger player to play 5 minutes a night in the nhl (playing 1 game in every 5 games) or is it better to play every game and playing 20 minutes a night in the ahl. Unless that player has proven to out grow the lower level then the lower level will always be the better option.
Ok, better stick him in the SuperElit then, as it has a better record of getting Swedish players to the NHL than the CHL. But that would be bad as well IMO, players develop when they are challenged and compete for their spots. Being relied upon in a professional men's league or playing against 16 and 17 year old kids as a 19 year old? Come on.

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2014, 11:54 AM
sr228

London Knights @GoLondonKnights
Join us in welcoming Swedish defenseman @juliusbergman21! He has entered into an OHL Standard Player's Agreement with the team! #LK

Guess he's made his decision.

Old
07-25-2014, 11:56 AM
Gene Parmesan
B.Y.O.G.

Well Hunter will get his defensive game up. I'm guessing he wants to play in North America sooner rather than later.

Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2014, 12:01 PM
sr228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
Well Hunter will get his defensive game up. I'm guessing he wants to play in North America sooner rather than later.
I'd imagine it has just as much, if not more, to do with playing time as it does playing in NA.

London will be interesting to watch this year, they're losing a lot of talent up front and some on the back end but Bergman should help with that.

Old
07-25-2014, 12:12 PM
Gene Parmesan
B.Y.O.G.

Quote:
I'd imagine it has just as much, if not more, to do with playing time as it does playing in NA.

London will be interesting to watch this year, they're losing a lot of talent up front and some on the back end but Bergman should help with that.
Yeah must have been told he wouldn't be seeing much time in Frolunda. It will be interesting.

Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2014, 12:48 PM
Lebanezer
I'unno? Coast Guard?

Quote:
London Knights @GoLondonKnights
Join us in welcoming Swedish defenseman @juliusbergman21! He has entered into an OHL Standard Player's Agreement with the team! #LK

Guess he's made his decision.
Ok then. I look forward to seeing how he does there.

Lebanezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2014, 01:17 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
Ok, better stick him in the SuperElit then, as it has a better record of getting Swedish players to the NHL than the CHL. But that would be bad as well IMO, players develop when they are challenged and compete for their spots. Being relied upon in a professional men's league or playing against 16 and 17 year old kids as a 19 year old? Come on.
Again, you are ignoring major factors that go into developement. And stuff that bergman himself had to take into account for him to choose london over the mens league.

Sure the mens league would be better developement if he is going to be seeing the ice (which he most likely won't in sweden).

But if bergman stays in sweden plays 10 games and in those 10 games only plays 5 minutes a night. No matter if the league is stacked full of nhl hall of famers in there primes. He is not going to develope in that kind of situation.

He will though develope better playing every game in every situation, which he is going to get in london.

And saying a european league is better at developing europeans better then the chl is pretty vague. Considering at most in the 3 leagues that make up the chl. A team can only have 1 or 2 import players on the team. An import player according to chl rules is any one outside of canada. I would take a guess that swedish players that go onto nhl careers is pretty high in percentage wises in the chl. Because no fringe swedish player is going to be taken in the import draft. So the players that do come over to canada will already have a great shot at making it in the nhl.

There were 7 swedish players taken in the chl import draft out of 120 picks.

Old
07-25-2014, 01:32 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.lfpress.com/2014/07/25/lo...julius-bergman

Newspaper on signing

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2014, 05:18 PM
Janney

Anyone else intrigued by how a 2nd round pick got signed this quickly? What does the team see in him?

Janney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2014, 05:03 PM
sr228

And 2 months later the Sharks finally announce the signing of Bergman.

http://sharks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=731933&navid=TW