HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Current player most similar to Pavel Bure?

Old
07-22-2014, 08:59 AM
Boxscore
pre-Dead Puck Era

vCash: 500
Patrick Kane is probably the closest in terms of style. Same size, left hand shot, dazzling moves and entertainment value. Bure was just a faster version.

Boxscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2014, 09:32 AM
trexall

stylistically the skating stance, build, I see a lot of similarities between Yakupov and Bure, Bure was a bit faster, Yakupov more physical. Bure's goal scoring instincts and stickhandling however will be hard to match by anyone in this era.

trexall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2014, 10:08 AM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Thinking Nate MacKinnon as well.

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2014, 11:02 AM
Fred Taylor
The Cyclone

I think Nate MacKinnon as well. I also don't understand the Subban comparison.

Fred Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2014, 12:12 PM
the edler
Inimitable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Taylor View Post
I also don't understand the Subban comparison.
Swagger.

the edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2014, 01:26 PM
LeBlondeDemon10
10 AM Its Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by the edler View Post
Swagger.
And stickhandling ability to a degree. Subban uses that one move...far too many times. Bure had many moves and his acceleration was much better, not to mention finish. But really, Bure was so unique with such a gifted skill set, no one current comes to mind...except early Ovechkin.

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2014, 04:10 PM
monster_bertuzzi

I like the idea of Gaborik and Kane molded into one...with an even greater nose for the net.

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2014, 04:15 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
How about Nichushkin

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2014, 04:20 PM
Boxscore
pre-Dead Puck Era

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
How about Nichushkin
Nichushkin is more of a hulking, net crashing machine. Bure was a smaller, pure razzle dazzle at top speed kind of guy.

Old
07-22-2014, 04:24 PM
Cursed Lemon
Registered Bruiser

Send a message via AIM to Cursed Lemon Send a message via MSN to Cursed Lemon Send a message via Yahoo to Cursed Lemon
Gonna agree with Mackinnon...but barely.

Cursed Lemon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2014, 05:05 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

vCash: 50
None are really similar.

BenchBrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2014, 06:50 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxscore View Post
Patrick Kane is probably the closest in terms of style. Same size, left hand shot, dazzling moves and entertainment value. Bure was just a faster version.
Somewhere in between this.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafar View Post
None are really similar.
... and this ^^^. Bure was a one~off. An artist like Lafleur.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2014, 10:25 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

Also, I don't understand this Kane-Bure comparison at all.Seriously those are two extremely different players.

Old
07-23-2014, 10:33 PM
JetsAlternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafar View Post
Also, I don't understand this Kane-Bure comparison at all.Seriously those are two extremely different players.
They're not as different as you might think, actually.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsAlternate View Post
The reason Pavel is compared to Patrick Kane is because of the way they operate in the offensive zone; setting aside the fact Kane is a pass-first player, their positioning in the offensive zone is very similar. They support the puck and wander in the offensive zone; they don't exactly stay on one side of the ice like most forwards do. When the puck is deep in the offensive zone, they serve to support the puck. Their positioning depends largely on where the puck is in the offensive zone. Kane is unafraid to carry the puck all around the offensive zone. He is unafraid to be anywhere on the ice in the offensive zone. Some players stick to a certain side or prefer to be in certain areas on the ice, but Kane positions himself anywhere in the offensive zone depending on where the puck is. It does not matter whether he is designated a left winger or a right winger; he'll play the puck on either side of the ice and circle around the zone. Sometimes he'll even move up high to take the point for a one-timer or to make a play from up there. His agility provides him with great mobility in the zone. He also likes to be creative with the puck, and has a knack for carrying it around.

For example:

Here is another of my earlier works, featuring examples of similar play from Pavel:

Here is a preview of my next work, which focuses squarely on one game and Pavel's positioning in it. Watch his positioning:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
So did old Bure to an extent after all the knee problems.

People have the romantic image, 20 years later, of Bure scoring all of his goals on brilliant, explosive end-to-end rushes. And he did score a lot of goals that way. But for every rush goal he scored, he scored 2 or 3 while standing still by simply blowing the puck by the goalie on one-timers.
Post-1998 Bure did not move anywhere near as much as pre-1998 Bure did. In general, he seemed less mobile, unable to play the way he used to. The knee injury seemed to take a huge toll on his agility. Your analysis of Bure in his Florida days is agreeable.

Remember, we are separating pre-1998 Bure from post-1998 Bure. My goal has been to place them into two distinct categories because Pavel's style of play before 1998 does not resemble his style of play after 1998. We must recall that the way players approach the game can change -- we've seen this with Alex Ovechkin, Stan Mikita, Steve Yzerman, and others. I'll be exploring that over the Summer and upcoming Fall with regards to Bure.

Hull and Ovechkin stand still in the offensive zone much of the time and hardly move their legs to the extent that early Bure or Kane would. Lately, Ovechkin has remained on one side of the ice for the most part, staying within a specific shooting region and looking for players to set up one-timers. Early Pavel moved his feet actively and was anywhere in the offensive zone depending on where the puck was, much like what we see from Kane now. He played a puck support game. I've provided a plethora of footage showing Pavel's usual positioning and highlighting his tendencies.
Some great examples here as well (from last season):

Here are his goals from the shortened 2013 and 2013-14 seasons:

Here are his goals from the 2009-10 season:

I may do a comparison video of their styles in the future just to make the point clearer. Kane plays everywhere; he cruises in front of the net too, much like Pavel did. One of his greatest offensive weapons is his shot, and he has a pretty decent one-timer too. Let's not forget he scored 23 goals in 47 games in 2013, and 29 goals in 69 games last season. His creativity, mobility and skill set make him very dangerous. In fact, his agility and quick movements are integral to his game; he needs to be able to maneuver around quickly, with or without the puck. He is one of the best players in the league currently at offensive zone entry, which was one of Bure's great assets as well.

For more on Bure, refer to this video (already posted on Page 1) and a highlight reel of some of his goals (pre-1998). After watching the Kane videos, you may see some striking similarities between his goals and Pavel's:

Patrick Kane is as close of a player to Pavel Bure as there is in today's NHL.

Last edited by JetsAlternate: 07-24-2014 at 07:37 AM.
JetsAlternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2014, 06:54 AM
JetsAlternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by trexall View Post
stylistically the skating stance, build, I see a lot of similarities between Yakupov and Bure
I don't agree at all, actually. I've watched Yakupov very analytically over the past few seasons. Nail has a very low stance -- deep knee bend with a sort of a hunched look to it. He has quick feet; his top-end speed is quite average, though. He handles the puck very loosely, meaning he pushes the puck forward an entire stick's length, and as a result he struggles to handle the puck quickly because he's always reaching as far as he can just to hang on to it. His stickhandling technique I would describe as very loose.

Nail seems to be more of a north-south player. He stays on his side of the ice and generally dishes the puck or dumps it in as soon as he passes the offensive zone blueline. He does not usually carry the puck into the offensive zone. When he is in the offensive zone, he usually zips back and forth on his side of the ice, but stays on that side for the most part. There is not much variety or creativity to his game at all. Prior to the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, I had heard of the comparisons, but after watching him on many occasions I've realized it was only ever because he wore the #10, was Russian, and had some scoring abilities.

Here are all of his goals from the 2013 season. Nearly all of them were scored from the exact same spot with Yakupov parked at the goalmouth on the right side or from a little further out for one-timers. There is no variety to his game; he plays almost exclusively on the right side. With the puck on his stick, Nail rarely make anything happen either. Most of the time he just stickhandles into traffic with the puck too far out of reach.

Patrick Kane is about 100x closer to resembling Bure than Yakupov is. Kane may even be a faster skater than Nail, he is certainly more agile, and his ability to handle the puck quickly, maneuver all over the ice, carry the puck in with ease, and play a generally very creative game make him so much more like Bure than anybody else I've seen in the current NHL.

Last edited by JetsAlternate: 07-24-2014 at 07:20 AM.
JetsAlternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2014, 10:04 AM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

Oh well you put in so much effort I have to give you some credit.I haven't thought about it that deeply

Old
07-24-2014, 10:20 AM
Boxscore
pre-Dead Puck Era

Yeah, Yakupov doesn't remind me of Bure AT ALL. If anyone, he reminds me of ex-NHLer Andrei Kovalenko.

Old
07-24-2014, 10:31 AM
InnuJoker
P.K./Price 3x low 5

Speed: Gaborik, Grabner.
Stickhandling: Kane
Hairstyle: Brian Burke

To recreate a modern day Bure, he'd need G-rik or G-ner speed, Kane's hands and Burke's hair.

InnuJoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2014, 10:33 AM
CaptainCamaro

I immediately thought of Patty Kane, then saw most of the people agree with me

CaptainCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2014, 04:17 PM
Copmuters

John Tavares?

Copmuters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2014, 03:41 PM
dandylandie

Matt Duchene for me.

dandylandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2014, 03:47 PM
Kesselology
81 Jump Street

I think of him as an even better version of Phil. Insane speed with a bomb of a shot that has little to no release.

Kesselology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2014, 02:02 AM
Yurog

Parise

Yurog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2014, 02:26 AM
the edler
Inimitable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copmuters View Post
John Tavares?
More like Stamkos, with an infusion of Grabner.

the edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2014, 03:12 AM
Oscar Acosta
Bat Country

vCash: 738
As soon as Dallas Eakins stops being the worst coach in NHL history with Barry Melrose's comeback in Tampa - it'll be Nail Yakupov

Oscar Acosta is online now   Reply With Quote