HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Most Famous Contract Disputes?

Old
07-28-2014, 11:47 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

vCash: 500
Mario at the 1984 draft.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2014, 11:48 AM
intylerwetrust
Space Oddity

was Gretzky really going to get paid the same amount from EDM than what he signed with in LA? Obviously his wife was a big part of the trade, but I remember from his documentary he did say "... I felt that I wanted to get what I was worth".... as if EDM wasnt offering him enough.

intylerwetrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2014, 12:00 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBlondeDemon10 View Post
Since we are adding baseball players to the mix, players in any sport can thank Curt Flood for the famous stand he took against the reserve clause. Without him, there is no free agency and, more specifically, no way a player can attempt to put his worth on the market to see what he can obtain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curt_Flood
It was a futile stand that he took; Flood v. Kuhn was ruled in favor of MLB. Flood challenged the legality of a reserve arrangement, which was (and still is) legal.

Free agency didn't come around until McNally/Messersmith, which involved the MLBPA challenging not the legality of the reserve clause, but the wording and interpretation of it. Seitz' decision in favor of the MLBPA was based largely on the fact that the wording of the reserve clause is ambiguous; it was one vague sentence. A basic tenet of contract law is that vague or ambiguous language will (in the event of a challenge) be ruled against whoever drew up the language in the first place. Obviously the players didn't come up with a reserve system.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2014, 12:08 PM
Theokritos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cursed Lemon View Post
But since it resulted in him sitting out an entire season, I'd file it.
He didn't sit out, he played the whole season. Oshawa Generals, Canadian National Team.

Theokritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2014, 01:03 PM
LeBlondeDemon10
Stack Shot Billy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
It was a futile stand that he took; Flood v. Kuhn was ruled in favor of MLB. Flood challenged the legality of a reserve arrangement, which was (and still is) legal.

Free agency didn't come around until McNally/Messersmith, which involved the MLBPA challenging not the legality of the reserve clause, but the wording and interpretation of it. Seitz' decision in favor of the MLBPA was based largely on the fact that the wording of the reserve clause is ambiguous; it was one vague sentence. A basic tenet of contract law is that vague or ambiguous language will (in the event of a challenge) be ruled against whoever drew up the language in the first place. Obviously the players didn't come up with a reserve system.
Not totally. "In 1970 the owners and the MLBPA agreed to the "10/5 Rule" (sometimes called the "Curt Flood Rule"), which allows players with ten years of Major League service, the last five with the same team, to veto any trade." The fact that he got the ball rolling and had the guts to challenge the establishment is a major accomplishment. Ted Lindsay for years attempted to establish a bonafide union for the players; and while he did eventually establish one, it was by no means the machine it is today. We must recognize the pioneers, the ones that risked it all when it could and did mean banishment and all the other nasty things owners did to them.

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2014, 01:58 PM
Cursed Lemon
Registered Bruiser

Send a message via AIM to Cursed Lemon Send a message via MSN to Cursed Lemon Send a message via Yahoo to Cursed Lemon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theokritos View Post
He didn't sit out, he played the whole season. Oshawa Generals, Canadian National Team.
In 2001, you goof.

Cursed Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2014, 05:00 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain Fyffe View Post
I can imagine it. David Beckham comes to mind.
Unaware. Do not follow soccer.

Regardless, an exception who validates my assertion.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2014, 05:30 PM
Dissonance

Can't forget Petr Nedved. He held out for basically two entire seasons — once with the Canucks in 1993-94, and once with the Penguins in 1997-98 (plus a bit of the following season).

Last edited by Dissonance: 07-28-2014 at 09:33 PM.
Dissonance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2014, 06:28 PM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
Hull's, easily, was the most impactful.

Separately, Robert Gordon Orr's departure from the Bruins certainly was a fascinating study in contractual machinations, what with Eagleson, being offered part of the team, etc.

Wikipedia is not the greatest source, but it summarizes his contract saga quite well (See: "Free agency, and the move to Chicago"):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Orr

Never realized until recently that while a player with the Hawks, #4 apparently never cashed a paycheck, stating that he was paid to play hockey and would not accept a salary if he was not playing.

Yes, some of us do romanticize the greats of the past. Rightly so, in this case.
Bobby Orr is a class act all the way.

BraveCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2014, 07:15 PM
vadim sharifijanov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Ya, and usually over a few hundred dollars. Beyond petty when you get into the minutae of it, just how cheap, parsimonious the GM's & owners actually were prior to Expansion & the WHA's birth.
weren't kevin lowe and ryan smyth only a few hundred grand apart before smyth was sent to the islanders? given the inflation of the salary scale in the interim, that's about as petty right? ironically, there both guys still were last year, in edmonton, in token glorified roles that they underperformed at. and ol' ryan is probably going to suit-and-tieing it with lowe for years to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmad View Post
Pavel Bure's dispute resulted in him getting traded to Florida
i don't think you could really call that a contract dispute. his holdout was the result of previous contract disputes (especially the one where the canucks didn't pay the annual bonus in bure's contract due on account of the '95 lockout), but bure just refused to play after the '98 season. there was no contract in dispute in the year he was traded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by intylerwetrust View Post
was Gretzky really going to get paid the same amount from EDM than what he signed with in LA? Obviously his wife was a big part of the trade, but I remember from his documentary he did say "... I felt that I wanted to get what I was worth".... as if EDM wasnt offering him enough.
if i recall correctly, mcnall tore up gretzky's existing contract and gave him a much bigger one right after the trade. and famously, he also promised to wayne and his agent mike barnett that as long as he was in LA and mcnall owned the team, he was always going to be the highest paid player in the game (though i think gretzky was passed by mario at some point in the mid-90s).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissonance View Post
Can't forget Petr Nedved. He held out for basically two entire seasons over contract disputes *once with the Canucks in 1993-94, and once with the Penguins in 1997-98 (plus a bit of the following season).
greatest contract dispute in canucks history.

other notable contract disputes i remember:

- doug gilmour in calgary, setting up risebrough's disaster trade

- pat lafontaine on the islanders

- paul kariya in anaheim, where if he played that ful season there's a good chance he'd be in the hall of fame right now

- adam oates everywhere he went

- igor larionov in vancouver, which saw him pack his bags for lugano

- jari kurri in edmonton, which saw him pack his bags for milan

- oleg tverdovsky in phoenix where coyotes captain keith tkachuk told reporters he hoped tivo would "stick it to management"

- bertuzzi in vancouver, where he was at his absolute peak as a player, with his head screwed on straight for 15(!) consecutive months-- he holds out, misses training camp and the beginning of the season, came back lazy and terrible, then lost his mind and attacked steve moore; prime = over

- LA had the short-lived but much loved all-holdout line of jason allison (held out until boston had to "three quarters" him to the kings for glen murray and jozef stumpel), ziggy palffy (traded from the islanders when they couldn't afford the monster deal he held out for after the first year-- this was in the tumultuous financial period between the john spano fiasco and wang buying the team), and adam deadmarsh (acquired for rob blake, who held out the year after his norris, signed a three year that made him the highest paid d-man in the league, and was looking to double it at the end of the deal, which LA wouldn't/couldn't do)

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2014, 08:02 PM
Terry Yake

khabibulin in 1999

held out for the entire 99-00 season

Terry Yake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2014, 08:12 PM
aleshemsky83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Yeah.. that one is weird too. Messier was still under contract, which is why he was able to play that one game. He held out of training camp, but his holdout only actually lasted two regular season games. The contract he had was for about half the salary of the contract he got. I also don't think there would have been a holdout without a change in MSG management and the lockout itself. Lots of things put a damper on those negotiations, including Keenan's walkout.

The CBA doesn't allow renegotiated contracts anymore, so that kind of thing wouldn't happen in today's league.
Yeah different players I suppose, I think Paul Coffey was traded from Edmonton because Pocklington wouldn't renegotiate,

and of course, Gretzky likely never asked to for a renegotiation, but he was going to free agency

aleshemsky83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2014, 09:36 PM
Dissonance

Here's a semi-persuasive argument that Ron Hextall's holdout back in 1989 did an incredible amount of damage to his career:

Quote:
During the summer of 1989, Hextall came to the conclusion that for all that he brought to the table and all that he meant to the Flyers, he was vastly underpaid. Though he had a contract, Hextall reasoned that it was inadequate and deemed the deal as having no validity.

He promptly refused to report to camp, and the man who had been showered with accolades for his refusal to accept defeat throughout the hockey community – and especially in Philadelphia – was suddenly coming under scrutiny from team officials and fans, alike.

Hextall, who was labeled “selfish” by team president Jay Snider, would remain out of the fold for six long weeks.

After the Flyers got off to a horrific 1-5-1 start without their regular goalie, GM Bob Clarke broke down and asked both Hextall and his agent, Ritch Winter, if they would come to Philly to see if some kind of understanding could be worked out between the sides.

When they were able to come to an agreement, it seemed that Hextall would come back and save the Flyers’ season, but that would not end up being the case at all.

Without proper preparation that working out with the team and going through drills in training camp entails, Hextall endured an injury-filled season upon his return. He played in just 8 games in all, which were interrupted by four seperate injuries – two left groin pulls, a left hamstring pull, and a right groin tear. He would finish with a 4-2-1 record, with a bloated 4.15 goals-against average, and an awful .868 save percentage.

The team, in turn, never fully recovered. Philadelphia finished with just a 30-39-11 mark, and did not qualify for the playoffs for the first time in 18 years.

Injuries became chronic for Hextall, who played in just 36 contests in 1990-91 and 45 in 1991-92. Both the netminder and the Flyers finished with sub-.500 records in both seasons, and the team again failed to receive an invitation for the postseason dance in both years.

Last edited by Dissonance: 07-28-2014 at 09:42 PM.
Dissonance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2014, 09:49 PM
BadgerBruce

It's an old story, but I still bust a rib thinking about Tim Horton sending old Ugly Sergeant Punchy a big box of moldy, crusty old donut scraps in the fall of '67, when the Leafs (minus holdout Horton) were in Peterborough for training camp. "With donuts like these, who needs hockey?" the attached note read.

I guess it worked -- he eventually signed a 3 year deal @ 42,500/yr, exactly double his previous salary.

Best response ever during a contract dispute.

BadgerBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2014, 10:01 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerBruce View Post
It's an old story...
Oldie but still great.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote