Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Erie Otters 2014 Off-Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
07-11-2014, 07:09 PM
NeutralityEleven

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to NeutralityEleven
The Otters are facing a very difficult situation with significant roster turnover and an influx of young talent. Sherry Bassin is getting close to retiring and handing the reigns over to Dave Brown. Before that happens, Bassin has one more golden opportunity to win it all while McDavid is still in town.

The way I see things as they stand right now, there is a lot of work to be done in the trade market if the Otters are to be contenders. I'm not expecting any of the NHL signed guys back, with one of Donnay/MacDermid a long shot to return. That would leave Genovese and Wigle as OA's, not exactly the type of quality you generally see in OA's.

DeBrincat - McDavid - Karlsson
T. Raddysh - Strome - Wigle
Evans - Pettit - Betz
Any of: Bily, Fellows, T. Fox, both Maksimovich's, Murphy, Pucci, Vlad, Wood, etc

Dermott - D. Raddysh
Genovese - Mayo
Saban - Felker
Any of: Fergus, Headrick, Kwiecinski, etc

Williams
Dekoning/Lawr

All of McDavid's linemates are gone, there will be little familiarity among the forwards, the defense looks softer, and the team is full of complementary players. There are a ton of assets in play, with plenty of young talent that will push for playing time. Training camp will be more competitive than usual, and I fully expect the team to make a couple trades before the season starts as the picture becomes more clear.

Who is going to step up? Does the current lineup look like a contender to you?

Old
07-11-2014, 07:39 PM
Petes

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralityEleven View Post
The Otters are facing a very difficult situation with significant roster turnover and an influx of young talent. Sherry Bassin is getting close to retiring and handing the reigns over to Dave Brown. Before that happens, Bassin has one more golden opportunity to win it all while McDavid is still in town.

The way I see things as they stand right now, there is a lot of work to be done in the trade market if the Otters are to be contenders. I'm not expecting any of the NHL signed guys back, with one of Donnay/MacDermid a long shot to return. That would leave Genovese and Wigle as OA's, not exactly the type of quality you generally see in OA's.

Evans - Pettit - Betz
Any of: Bily, Fellows, T. Fox, both Maksimovich's, Murphy, Pucci, Vlad, Wood, etc

Dermott - D. Raddysh
Genovese - Mayo
Saban - Felker

Williams
Dekoning/Lawr

All of McDavid's linemates are gone, there will be little familiarity among the forwards, the defense looks softer, and the team is full of complementary players. There are a ton of assets in play, with plenty of young talent that will push for playing time. Training camp will be more competitive than usual, and I fully expect the team to make a couple trades before the season starts as the picture becomes more clear.

Certainly won't be as good as last year but I expect some big things this year out of guys like Dermott, Raddysh, Karlsson and obviously McDavid! Will still be a fun team to watch!

Old
07-11-2014, 07:40 PM
KnightSpit

ERIE Line Up This Year ???

Quote:

Evans - Pettit - Betz

Dermott - D. Raddysh
Genovese - Mayo
Saban - Felker

Williams
Dekoning/Lawr

Neutrality, yeah it will be tough, but with all due respect, you have WAY TOO MANY Rookies, who have never played a single game in the OHL in the Line UP.

Last Year it took STROME 3 Months to adjust, find his stride and he was the bomb from that point on and will be even better this year The team will not be able to function, with 6 or more players in the same situation, no matter how good their potential. You need a good mix of Vets. Second Year and Third Year players Any OHL GM will tell you that. KNOBLAUCH is no Fool and should of been Coach of the year last year, so he will get it right.

I think you are right, that there will be some Trades, not to read to much into it, but Nick Betz was a Healthy Scratch in the last Two Playoff Games against Guelph?
I like your D Line Up, but I would split up both Dermott and Raddysh, both really good D, but size wise, you need a balance, or they will get eaten up. I really expect a couple of players from the bottom six, who gained all that PLAYOFF experience last year to step up, who that will be I do not know, but I think it will happen and coach will somehow move them. Also you said BROWN is taking over as GM, my guess is only if the new OWNER says so and Bassin will probably sell this year right, I mean maximize the McDavid Price One Final thing I might say if it is TURE that EIRE will get that New Videos Scoreboard this year, then the EIA has to be one of the Top 5 Arena's in the OHL NOW, such a great facility, with $3.00 Budweiser's to Boot LOl !!!!

Old
07-12-2014, 03:13 AM
EpicOtters

The new video boards (yes, multiple) are being installed sometime later this month or next. Center ice, and others. From what I have seen, they should not disappoint.

Old
07-17-2014, 08:58 AM
ErieOttersNews
Carry Us Connor

The new video boards are being installed right now. they're also installing some electric work and updating the systems inside EIA. I hope this includes a sound system upgrade. Either way glad to see this upgrade, completes the renovations at EIA. Easily a top five arena in the league now.

Also, Devin Williams (Nashville) and Darren Raddysh (Los Angeles) both got invited to prospect camps. Not sure how Raddysh did but Williams impressed and he got invited to Nashville's main camp.

Old
07-18-2014, 12:42 AM
EpicOtters

The sound system was completely upgraded last season. The difference was quite significant.

Old
07-21-2014, 12:29 PM
NeutralityEleven

Send a message via AIM to NeutralityEleven
Bily and Pucci signed. Headrick isn't far behind.

Last edited by NeutralityEleven: 07-21-2014 at 12:35 PM.
Old
07-21-2014, 01:08 PM
ErieOttersNews
Carry Us Connor

Quote:
Maksimovich signed too correct? Vince Laise tweeted it then deleted it a bit later. I imagine he will sign, don't see him making the team. Likely OJHL for him.

This just adds to the logjam at forward and defense (if Headrick signs). Going to be a fun training camp with some serious battles for spots.

Old
07-23-2014, 08:57 AM
whitecoat21

An article on Connor Brown with his insight on where he will be next season.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=7...id=DL|NHL|home

Old
07-24-2014, 08:49 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErieOttersNews View Post
Maksimovich signed too correct? Vince Laise tweeted it then deleted it a bit later. I imagine he will sign, don't see him making the team. Likely OJHL for him.

This just adds to the logjam at forward and defense (if Headrick signs). Going to be a fun training camp with some serious battles for spots.
Maksimovich is undersized but fearless and handles himself well, very good balance but does not back down from anyone. This really stands out about him. He goes into the corners and works, takes punishment but with good balance he stay's on his feet, its pretty impressive. Interesting to see if he grows anywhere near his brothers height, he is smart enough to play in the OHL and will do better with better players. Maybe strength and size keep him out of the OHL for 1 year but this could be a Connor Brown 2.0 situation with him. Although not invited to All State Camp like 2 of his team-mates of similar size, over the course of the last 8 months, he moved ahead of them because he plays with a Healthy chip on his shoulder.

Old
07-25-2014, 02:52 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Where did you see this? I haven't heard that Bily signed nor have I seen it anywhere except for the post. I'm not saying it isn't true just wondering why it's not official yet.

Old
07-25-2014, 07:46 PM
Hfbid

Lodge or Payne might work on a trade if Saginaw goes for rebuild. No?

Old
07-26-2014, 04:36 PM
herbst20

Bily has 2 goals in 2 games so far at the Jr Chowder Cup in Boston.

Old
07-27-2014, 12:56 PM
KnightSpit

Chowder Cup and Scoreboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbst20 View Post
This Chowder Cup, not the tournament it used to be. So who thinks Billy signs, or has he, getting pretty close to camp, does he not soon have to declare NCAA or OHL. How old is the kid ?

ALso, have any of you ERIE residents seen the new score board in operation yet ?

Old
07-27-2014, 01:30 PM
Duke Guy

Bily is 16 years old and would have 2 more years of high school. There's no deadline for him to declare his intentions.

Old
07-27-2014, 01:48 PM
KnightSpit

Bily Status and McDavid Linemates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Guy View Post
Bily is 16 years old and would have 2 more years of high school. There's no deadline for him to declare his intentions.
Thanks Duke guy, did not know the age, well at only 16, regardless of how good, first year in the OHL can be tough. So are you saying he will play Major Midget, or High School hockey for 2 more years if not with ERIE and what is the inside track, what do you think he will do?

My view is if I am some 16 year old kid and I get even ONE year to play with the Next Sydney Crosby (McDavid) I do it, that is if I am serious about getting to the show. Then again who says he will be on a line with McDavid or even on the PP for that matter, no one knows until camp is done. with Gaunce, Fox, probably Burakovsky, maybe Brown all gone, the most intriguing thing for ERIE will be who does coach put as McDavid's line mates, you ain't gonna throw Two 16 year old kid's on his line as regulars, not a chance, maybe Strome ? It will be interesting.

Any thoughts ???

Old
07-27-2014, 02:57 PM
Petes

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightSpit View Post
Thanks Duke guy, did not know the age, well at only 16, regardless of how good, first year in the OHL can be tough. So are you saying he will play Major Midget, or High School hockey for 2 more years if not with ERIE and what is the inside track, what do you think he will do?

My view is if I am some 16 year old kid and I get even ONE year to play with the Next Sydney Crosby (McDavid) I do it, that is if I am serious about getting to the show. Then again who says he will be on a line with McDavid or even on the PP for that matter, no one knows until camp is done. with Gaunce, Fox, probably Burakovsky, maybe Brown all gone, the most intriguing thing for ERIE will be who does coach put as McDavid's line mates, you ain't gonna throw Two 16 year old kid's on his line as regulars, not a chance, maybe Strome ? It will be interesting.

Any thoughts ???
I don't mean to come across as an ******* but I think the 'bolding' of every name is unnecessary.

Old
07-28-2014, 01:26 PM
Duke Guy

KnightSpit: Good post. If I'm the agent for the kid I would make sure his family is aware of all the options before he signs anywhere.

Old
07-28-2014, 04:15 PM
otterfan34325

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbst20 View Post
Bily received the best forward award following up last years MVP award at Chowder. His team won for the second straight year.

He would have signed already if he was going to.....

Old
07-29-2014, 02:56 AM
TyMy57
Enroth is God

Question for Otters fans, as a fan in Buffalo who plans on making the trip down a few times next season and enjoys getting autographs, does anyone know how often the players sign and where? Obviously being a Sabres fan it would nice to get McDavid before he comes here (hopeful thinking). Thanks in advance.

Old
07-29-2014, 10:33 AM
ErieOttersNews
Carry Us Connor

well I haven't posted in here in a while. this is going to be a big post, time to catch up.

Quote:

Evans - Pettit - Betz

Dermott - D. Raddysh
Genovese - Mayo
Saban - Felker

Williams
Dekoning/Lawr

I'm thinking:

Trade-McDavid-Karlsson
Raddysh-Strome-Wigle
Evans-Pettit-Betz
Some combination of: Bily, DeBrincat, Q and K Maksimovich, T. Fox, Fellows, Wood, Pucci, Murphy, Vlad. The forward situation is a bit of a mess right now. Plenty of young talent and bottom six guys but not nearly enough in the top six for McDavid and Strome to work with.

Dermott-Donnay
Genovese-Raddysh
Felker-Mayo
Saban, Fergus, Headrick. (Will Robertson ever recover from the shoulder issues?)

Williams
Dekoning
Lawr (likely spending a year down)

I do expect Donnay to get sent back for his overage year. He was better last season, but he still has things to work on, and the Rags have a lot of defense in the system above him. If that's the case, the top 4 doesn't look bad. Dermott-Donnay will be a solid paring, and if Genovese could improve his feet that's a pretty good second pairing.

We're going to need a lot from Williams this season, or Bassin has to get very aggressive in trades for this to be a contending team. At least one more top six forward, if not two, and possibly a top 4 dman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLFan8771 View Post
Where did you see this? I haven't heard that Bily signed nor have I seen it anywhere except for the post. I'm not saying it isn't true just wondering why it's not official yet.
Randy Russon, a pretty reliable source, reported Pucci has been signed by the Otters: http://www.hockeynewsnorth.com/ohl/e...frankie-pucci/

Neutrality has always been a very reliable source. He says Pucci and Bily have been signed, Russon says Pucci has been signed, but the Otters are waiting to announce it along with another player signing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hfbid View Post
Lodge or Payne might work on a trade if Saginaw goes for rebuild. No?
Lodge would be the preference, being a '95, and Erie may have 3 OA's if Donnay is returned (Wigle, Genovese, Donnay).

Those two could definitely be targets for Erie. Solid top six forwards but I don't imagine them costing a huge amount, like Baptiste from Sudbury will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyMy57 View Post
Question for Otters fans, as a fan in Buffalo who plans on making the trip down a few times next season and enjoys getting autographs, does anyone know how often the players sign and where? Obviously being a Sabres fan it would nice to get McDavid before he comes here (hopeful thinking). Thanks in advance.
Your best bet for McDavid would be the "pack 97" promotion they've done the past two years, and they are going to do it again this season. Its $97 for 4 tickets (to a Saturday game) plus two "passes" to go upstairs to the suite level after the game and meet with McDavid. You get a signed stick and a signed picture from him, and you can go up to him and he'll sign anything you put in front of him. There's usually a few other of the big name players up there as well signing autographs (example: last year Brown, Fox, Gaunce, MacDermid, Abraham, Curtis, Burakovsky, Pelech, Strome, and Dansk were all up there)

Oh, and here's a picture of the new scoreboard for those who haven't seen it: http://reprints.goerie.com/mycapture...tegoryID=60292

Old
07-29-2014, 10:36 AM
ErieOtters204w6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyMy57 View Post
They come out at the south east end inside of the arena and usually sign after each game. McDavid was available almost every game last year

Old
07-29-2014, 01:51 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErieOttersNews View Post
I'm thinking:

Trade-McDavid-Karlsson
Raddysh-Strome-Wigle
Evans-Pettit-Betz
Some combination of: Bily, DeBrincat, Q and K Maksimovich, T. Fox, Fellows, Wood, Pucci, Murphy, Vlad. The forward situation is a bit of a mess right now. Plenty of young talent and bottom six guys but not nearly enough in the top six for McDavid and Strome to work with.

Dermott-Donnay
Genovese-Raddysh
Felker-Mayo
Saban, Fergus, Headrick. (Will Robertson ever recover from the shoulder issues?)

Williams
Dekoning
Lawr (likely spending a year down)
Even if Fox, Brown and Burakovsky were coming back. Which is not going to happen obvviously, that D core does not have any good defensive defenseman that can shut teams down in the Playoffs. Winning 2-1, 3-1 is alot better than 6-4 if u want to win. U must be able to shut teams down. If the Otters could just get one piece only too elevate this team up a few notches in the standing's, its to acquire a Top 2 defensive defenseman with mobility. Size doesnt matter when u can not skate or keep emotions in check. Easier said than done though and one way might be to take one away from another team. I mentioned going after Centorame before the year started, London moved him later on. Right after the draft a few years ago I was puzzled how Erie took Saban over Colin White(Soo) and Zach Wilkie (Dogs). I always thought Saban was too passive and didnt use his strengths enough, we'll see where he is at during camp.

Last edited by mapleleaf979: 07-29-2014 at 01:57 PM.
Old
07-29-2014, 02:03 PM
mapleleaf979

Mcdavid was a no-brainer but it was important to get other pieces in that draft. So 163 picks later Dermott was selected and seems to be the most important piece after Mcdavid from that 2012 draft. I like Pettit and think he is under utilized and said that for 2 years. I thought Felker if given more chances had more potential and value in 2 years than some of the vets who are not improving where as Felker could have been an ascending asset getting better as time passes and not sure why Raddysh and Pelech were separated as they seem to compliment one another and Raddysh was getting stronger I thought as time passed. Chemistry makes the sum of the parts bigger. The 2013 draft after Strome, I liked the Kohler pick and later Fergus but before and after was not strong I didnt think. Graham Knott, one of my favourite players and I put him in Erie in mock draft, should have been considered as his game style is perfect for Mcdavid.

Old
07-29-2014, 04:28 PM
MillcreekOtter

Heard from a friend of mine who seen Frank Pucci play in the MAHA state championships for the Soo that the kid was best player on the ice in a game against Belle Tire, smart,fast and unselfish . Gonna be a gem

Closed Thread