HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

Medveščak Zagreb 2014/2015

Old
07-20-2014, 01:04 PM
maxim84

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bishonen91 View Post
why don't you add Amur Habarovsk as well? They're nice to be a rival to...
Personally I don't see them as rivals because of distance...even barys is a borderline case but our first victory was in gameday 9 and someone could say they didn't take us too seriously in the begining or smaller rink gave us advantage or something...but second victory came in i think gameday 42 on their ice so that is not excuse...the same with cska... So i'm thinking those teams will have a bigger motive to beat us this year...

maxim84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2014, 01:12 PM
penepi

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxim84 View Post
looking at potential rivalries would these teams be the main contenders...we can say slovan (because of geography and two ex-medvescak players) dinamo minsk (five ex-medvescak players) and cska (according to freshfruit our suprise victories, but Med fans disagree hehehe)....maybe we could add Barys Astana (we have two victories against them but they are really strong team always somewhere near the top). The distance is 4000km and I don't know if they have any other "more important" rival teams
Edit: maybe Vityaz, we play 4 games this season and last year we won 4:2 and they beat us only 1:0 so this season we might get a better picture who represents "cryptonite" for wich team
You can't be serious. Rivalry is something that really might be between Slovan and perhaps Minsk as you stated. But making rivalries just in pursuance of winning/losing matches?

penepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2014, 02:56 PM
maxim84

Quote:
Originally Posted by penepi View Post
You can't be serious. Rivalry is something that really might be between Slovan and perhaps Minsk as you stated. But making rivalries just in pursuance of winning/losing matches?
I have to say I don't understand...we are guests in a foreign league...nothing is linking us with any team...so it is hard to talk about rivalry...but you have to start somewhere...and I don't think you should look at just proximity...in that case what if slovan folds next year or they become an easy opponent...where is the rivalry if you beat someone 5:1? if you are from croatia you should know there is bigger rivalry between dinamo-hajduk than dinamo-zagreb (if you don't count the year when zagreb won the championship) because everyone knows in 95% of matches dinamo will win against zagreb... If you are not from croatia I can tell you that during ebel years nobody saw hungarian team as rivals...it was always slovenians because of history (yugoslavia) and kac and rb-salzburg

My point is when you start in the league as good as medvescak did you want to keep that certain level of performance (this years goal is playoffs again) and you look at teams that have similar strenght...that is why i didn't say dinamo moscow becsuse they are way better than us, we can maybe hope for a suprise win but in theory if we stay in khl for next 10 years we will have a better chance against vityaz or atlant than dinamo.

Old
07-20-2014, 03:50 PM
bishonen91

You do not keep the same argument in your argumentation.

Two games aren't a rivalry. Three games next year wont be that either. Slovan might become a rival only due to close geo political position. And because fans might come on over.

To have two teams become rivals, you need them both to care. CSKA doesn't care, Barys the same.

KAC never cared, but instad wiped the floor with every time it matterred. Same with RBS. In four years we didn't win a single playoff series against a team that mattered, so no, we didn't have rivals. Our rivals were Olimpija and Jesenice due to a mutual circle-jerk, and we wished we had one with Klagenfurt (notoriously called "Red Star" just to connect it to a serbian club it has nothing in common with), or Linz (who were against yugoschweine in Zagreb), or Graz who we beat miracleously in 2010. playoff series.

So no, we won't have rivals except division "match-ups" for years to come.

bishonen91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2014, 04:14 PM
maxim84

Quote:

So no, we won't have rivals except division "match-ups" for years to come.
You do realise we only have a 2 more years contract and could be out after that? I agree we need a lot of years to create rivalry and it doesn't happen overnight but in case we stay in khl longterm I don't think we should be "theatre audience" for the next ten years and than say: ok let's see who are our rivals. I always support my team but if 40 mill$ team beats us I won't cry, if we play an even game with team of similar strenght and lose in the last minutes, or something controversial happens (like Panin hit on Vesce) those are the things that start rivalries... wether they grow to something more or not is only a question of time and if similar things happen again. When I mentioned Kac for example I was thinking of 6. march 2012...google it or see it on youtube...for every medvescak fan i'm sure it means a lot..and is much more important date than 8. january 2012 when we beat jesenice 2:0
Also if geopolitical situation and kilometers affect rivalry please explain why does a football match against germany means more than a football match against hungary?

Old
07-20-2014, 05:46 PM
Ivan94

Quote:
You do realise we only have a 2 more years contract and could be out after that? I agree we need a lot of years to create rivalry and it doesn't happen overnight but in case we stay in khl longterm I don't think we should be "theatre audience" for the next ten years and than say: ok let's see who are our rivals. I always support my team but if 40 mill$ team beats us I won't cry, if we play an even game with team of similar strenght and lose in the last minutes, or something controversial happens (like Panin hit on Vesce) those are the things that start rivalries... wether they grow to something more or not is only a question of time and if similar things happen again. When I mentioned Kac for example I was thinking of 6. march 2012...google it or see it on youtube...for every medvescak fan i'm sure it means a lot..and is much more important date than 8. january 2012 when we beat jesenice 2:0
Also if geopolitical situation and kilometers affect rivalry please explain why does a football match against germany means more than a football match against hungary?
1. Panin's hit was on Murley

2. why does a hockey match against Sweden means more than a hockey match against hungary?

We don´t have a football-rivalry with Germany.

Its always a important match for a weaker team to play against a stronger one. for the stronger team such a match is less important.

Ivan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2014, 01:44 AM
maxim84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan94 View Post
1. Panin's hit was on Murley

--oh you'right, my bad...my point was fights and referee decisions help make team rivalry

2. why does a hockey match against Sweden means more than a hockey match against hungary?

--It doesn't because sweden is lightyears away from us in hockey and they will beat us in the next 20 years regulary...unless they send kindergarten team on the ice

We don´t have a football-rivalry with Germany.

--Haven't w beat them on two world cups and they beat us only on euro 96? Whenever we play newspapers remind us of that, saying we have a good chance against germany, we are their black cats and so on...

Its always a important match for a weaker team to play against a stronger one. for the stronger team such a match is less important.
--Why would a match against stronger team be mpre important if your chance of success is slim? It is in the spirit of sport that you cheer for your team...but...recent football game against Brasil is the obvious answer

And in the end if you think only poitics should determine rivalry (so croatia can only have rivalry with serbia right?) how come Stephan Da Costa signed with cska isn't that treason or something like that...we all know napoleon invaded russia
I'm on my mobile phone so imagine five shaking heads now ;-)

Old
07-21-2014, 01:57 AM
Nosedive

I think the high turnover rate of players makes it difficult to develop rivalries especially in Medvescak's case.

Nosedive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2014, 02:28 AM
bishonen91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosedive View Post
I think the high turnover rate of players makes it difficult to develop rivalries especially in Medvescak's case.
I agree. Also it's hard to create a rivalry when you only played once (home and away) against 20something of those teams. And rest of the games were friendlies.

Old
07-21-2014, 01:45 PM
loppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosedive View Post
As I see it, this is one of the key contributions that Medvescak does - it brings North American players into the league.

loppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2014, 07:30 AM
mitch mdv zg

Medveščak's captain and club legend Alan Letang announced his retirement. He will now serve as assistant coach at our club.

http://www.medvescak.com/en/khl/andq...andquot-no1110

mitch mdv zg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2014, 03:44 PM
loppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch mdv zg View Post
Medveščak's captain and club legend Alan Letang announced his retirement. He will now serve as assistant coach at our club.

http://www.medvescak.com/en/khl/andq...andquot-no1110
Legend? Lol. At least you didn't call him a god.

Old
07-22-2014, 04:04 PM
Ivan94

Quote:
Originally Posted by loppa View Post
for the past 5 seasons players have come and gone. only the captain always remained. he has characterized this 5 years. so it ok to call him a legend.

Ivan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2014, 04:10 AM
maxim84

Quote:
#28 is "just" a Superman!
And the number should be up under the roof

Old
07-23-2014, 07:25 AM
LovroZG

Quote:
#28 is "just" a Superman!
And the number should be up under the roof
Dear God, it shouldn't be there. There are many players that contributed a lot to Medveščak, Letang is just one among many.
There are at least 5-6 players whose numbers should be up under the roof alongside him but that would be too much, wouldn't it? That isn't Medveščak's tradition so let's not exaggerate and expect something hard to fulfill.

LovroZG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2014, 09:17 AM
Medo

Quote:
What else would he be? He played for the club for ages..

Medo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2014, 06:52 PM
loppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medo View Post
What else would he be? He played for the club for ages..
He was a mediocre player in my opinion.

A legend would be someone who is a star, season after season. For example, for the maple leafs, Sundin would be a legend. Probably their only one in the 1990s to the present period. In Medvescak, I personally wouldn't call anyone a legend.

Old
07-24-2014, 08:32 PM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
Quote:

A legend would be someone who is a star, season after season. For example, for the maple leafs, Sundin would be a legend. Probably their only one in the 1990s to the present period. In Medvescak, I personally wouldn't call anyone a legend.
Clark, Gilmour, Potvin beg to differ

cska78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2014, 08:56 PM
loppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
Clark, Gilmour, Potvin beg to differ
Mm, well, yeah I would agree regarding Clark... not 100% sure about the other two. They played for a while on other teams too, especially Gilmour...

Old
07-25-2014, 03:34 AM
SwissLeaf

Quote:

A legend doesn't have to be a star IMO. Nicola Celio is a star for Ambri-Piotta of the Swiss league, but he's not a star at all. But have a look at his carreer:
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=16501

20 seasons for Ambri, only professional team he played for. This is definitely a legend of Ambri.

Back to topic. Martin St. Pierre to Medvescak, according to eliteprospects.com.

SwissLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2014, 04:47 AM
SoundAndFury

Been calling his move to the KHL for a while now and here it happened. His short stint with Neftekhimik back in the day raises some questions but overall, I think he can be a good KHL scoring forward.

07-25-2014, 01:33 PM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundAndFury View Post
Been calling his move to the KHL for a while now and here it happened. His short stint with Neftekhimik back in the day raises some questions but overall, I think he can be a good KHL scoring forward.
it's his 3rd coming, not second, but on Medvescak being a NA team he has a chance to succeed.

cska78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2014, 04:24 AM
bishonen91

If a league suddenly decides to like midgets, yea he's gonna be good.

Maxwell out, Tomljenovic in. Still need 2 u22 players and a few NT ones, expect trotter to fail try out

Old
07-29-2014, 05:42 AM
penepi

Tomljenovic in I see. From Detva - http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=41664 This guy's gonna be a star!

penepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2014, 06:24 AM
LovroZG

Quote:
If a league suddenly decides to like midgets, yea he's gonna be good.

Maxwell out, Tomljenovic in. Still need 2 u22 players and a few NT ones, expect trotter to fail try out
Still need three U22's, Mate is just the third goalie for the preseason(maybe even the whole season) and we need three on-ice men.

LovroZG is offline   Reply With Quote