HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agency X | All Pens FA News, Legit FA Rumors, Trade Ideas Here

Closed Thread

Old
07-28-2014, 08:00 PM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensPlz View Post
We just cycle through Winnipeg's wings. How long before Wheeler talk starts? It's not gonna happen
Well I'm the guy who wants Dustin Byfuglien on this team, so...

Old
07-28-2014, 08:37 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedenmark View Post
Scuderi+Sutter for Kulemin, please make it happen JR!
Even with his 4m salary (which I think is ~250k more than I'd be comfortable with), I'd easily do this. Not that NYI would - even if we added something decent (2nd?).

Solves 2 issues. Removes Scuderi and his cap hit from the lineup long term, and brings in a 2-3 winger who might work well with Malkin, but would also be a great addition to the 3rd line.

Kunitz - Crosby - Hornqvist
Kulemin - Malkin - Bennett
Dupuis - Spaling - Downie
Comeau - Goc - XXXX

"It’s not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, it’s as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."
Old
07-28-2014, 08:45 PM
mpp9

I wanted Kulemin as much as anyone. But I think it's time to move on from that conversation.

If we're trading assets for a 2nd/3rd line talent, I want him to bring a bit of an edge and some net presence.

Old
07-28-2014, 08:53 PM

Didn't he go to the Isles with Grabs like two freak sisters attached at the head?

The Pens should have offered Zook 4.5-5. That's the type of player Malkin needs.

Old
07-28-2014, 08:56 PM
Shockmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
Didn't he go to the Isles with Grabs like two freak sisters attached at the head?

The Pens should have offered Zook 4.5-5. That's the type of player Malkin needs.
Are you referring to Mats Zuccarello? For that much? Hell no.

Old
07-28-2014, 09:42 PM
iFishyHD
Beauner Bennett

vCash: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post

Zook is like an upgrade of Brian Gibbons, and we don't really need that type of winger.

Old
07-28-2014, 09:51 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Not that I would want to pay Zuccarello $5 million or whatever was suggested, but comparing him to Gibbons is insulting. They're in different universes as players. It would be like comparing Endicott to Couturier.

Old
07-28-2014, 10:25 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by iFishyHD View Post
Zook is like an upgrade of Brian Gibbons, and we don't really need that type of winger.
Saying Zuccarello is like an upgrade of Brian Gibbons is like saying Chris Kunitz is just an upgraded version of Jason Megna.

Old
07-28-2014, 11:21 PM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
Not that I would want to pay Zuccarello $5 million or whatever was suggested, but comparing him to Gibbons is insulting. They're in different universes as players. It would be like comparing Endicott to Couturier.
I think Gibbons would tear it up over seas as well, Zucc wasn't some unreal player his first two stints either, just so you know. He's only been impressive one year. Who's to say he doesn't turn into a more productive player with the Jackets?

I love how people have this attitude about anyone after they leave.

Many have come over from Europe and have failed as unsigned players the last few years, most recent ones being Brunner and Leino. Zuccarello is the exception, not the rule and even he took a while to get there, 2yrs of failed attemps with the Rangers, then his stint in the AHL and the KHL and back he came to the NHL where he was rather decent, but nothing worth mentioning up until this past season.

Gibbons put up 17pts in 40~ games while playing in various roles. I wouldn't be shocked if Gibbons put up 30+ in Columbus in his first year. I remember when Letestu was moved, he was just some "bottom 6 fodder" according to the masses here, now he's a damn solid 3rd line player that we wish we could have kept.

Old
07-28-2014, 11:38 PM
Zirakzigil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
I just think it's so odd that people are worried what our D looks like with 4 dmen injured (after trading 2 more) when we have Kunitz, Hornqvist and recovering Downie, Bennett, and Duper as our top 6 wingers. Guess what our forwards look like with 4 of them injured (and I won't cheat and cherry pick all our best wingers)? This is with Dupuis, Bennett, Downie, and Spaling injured:

Kunitz-Crosby-Megna
Comeau-Malkin-Hornqvist
Uher-Sutter-Zlobin
Adams-Goc-Sill

I'll take the crazy injured defense please.
This! I am not worried about injuries to the blueline at all. However, 1 top 6 injury could gut this team.

Old
07-29-2014, 12:33 AM
mpp9

That draft video showing Poile/JR discussing the Neal trade popped up on my twitter timeline again.

The potential deal for the Avs 1st is bugging the hell out of me now that we're in the homestretch with the Spaling and Sutter negotiations.

We couldn't have put Martin on the table before knowing Ehrhoff was going to be bought out. Even now I doubt JR does. Maatta wouldn't be going the other way unless it involved one of their higher end forwards, and I doubt that deal just goes away b/c JR couldn't get Poile to put his 11th pick on the table. We don't have any expendable wingers worth anything.

That leaves Sutter and Despres IMO. They probably knew at that point Stastny was leaving. Sutter helps replace those more difficult minutes. And give them some insurance at 2C in case Mackinnon struggles defensively. And maybe with them being so close to the cap, they could use Despres as a cheap replacement for Barrie if negotiations go south.

I think I'd be comfortable with our forward group if we added McGinn. Can play both wings. Produced at a 20 goal pace for 3 seasons so he has a top 6 caliber shot. Fast, big, works the corners and the net.

All of our wingers bring something to the table when they're not scoring. I like that.

Old
07-29-2014, 01:35 AM
Riptide

Quote:
No we don't want to trade Maatta (unless for a home run winger), I was just trying to understand what you meant when you said he has the most trade value.

If Martin brings back a Toffoli or Tatar, I think I'd be on board.

While it might be possible to get someone of that caliber, i think a more realistic return would be a lesser player (Nino, Jurco, Kurcherov (sp), Connolly, etc) with a plus (1st/2nd, etc) depending on the prospect. Someone who has shown theyre ready for the NHL but hasnt played a lot, or done much there but has tons of potential.

Now I know most would not be happy with that type of return... (And im not saying those examples are the same value). But IF we extend Ehrhoff AND Martin wont sign (or prices himself out) then I would still move him, even if the return doesnt return someone whos an established top 6 player (or looks about to breakout as a top 6) at this time.

Old
07-29-2014, 02:14 AM
Honour Over Glory

I want to wait to see how Ehrhoff plays with Johnston's system and in general, but I wouldn't mind him signing an extension, but hopefully he takes a discount with a 3yr deal. He's getting something around 850K+ a year from the Sabres buyout, I hope that means he would sign for 3.5m/yr (AAV) for a 3yr term (4m, 4m, 2.5m)

He is 32yrs old, that kind of extension would take him to 36yrs old.

But with Martin, I would maybe think about moving him now, I haven't heard anything about an extension with Martin, I mean I would love to see him retire a Penguin, take a bit of a pay cut to make the team competitive, etc (like 4m/yr would be perfect for another 2-3yrs). Maybe even keep Ehrhoff, you ditch Scuderi and the defense is still awesome.

Martin, Letang
Maatta, Ehrhoff
Despres, Bortuzzo

Old
07-29-2014, 02:23 AM
Honour Over Glory

In regards to Sutter, I am on board with moving him for a top 6 winger or one that has the potential to be one.

But I would only do it if Scuderi is sent with him, as well as a 1st for the trouble of taking him, and Dumoulin to make sure it's not some "on the cusp of top 6" type of winger.

Buffalo is all for taking crap if you wrap it in a nice 1st round pick bow, the crap being Scuderi. Sutter and Dumoulin and the 1st being the bigger package. But they don't hold a winger that would fit that criteria.

I guess Andrew Ladd it is.

Old
07-29-2014, 02:31 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
I want to wait to see how Ehrhoff plays with Johnston's system and in general, but I wouldn't mind him signing an extension, but hopefully he takes a discount with a 3yr deal. He's getting something around 850K+ a year from the Sabres buyout, I hope that means he would sign for 3.5m/yr (AAV) for a 3yr term (4m, 4m, 2.5m)

But with Martin, I would maybe think about moving him now, I haven't heard anything about an extension with Martin, I mean I would love to see him retire a Penguin, take a bit of a pay cut to make the team competitive, etc (like 4m/yr would be perfect for another 2-3yrs). Maybe even keep Ehrhoff, you ditch Scuderi and the defense is still awesome.

Martin, Letang
Maatta, Ehrhoff
Despres, Bortuzzo

Old
07-29-2014, 03:59 AM
Honour Over Glory

Thanks for posting a terrible gif.

Old
07-29-2014, 04:11 AM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Quote:
Thanks for posting a terrible gif.
I know. It does go pretty perfectly with the "[Player X] will take a paycut for nostalgia/good times/reasons!" part, just like a nice Bordeaux and a steak.

Old
07-29-2014, 04:19 AM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffle Fries View Post
I love Ladd. I think he'd be phenomenal on Sid's wing, maybe even better than Kane because he doesn't suffer from the same tunnel vision issue.

But I think Winnipeg would move Kane long before Ladd. Kane would bring them back a bigger return, and in my opinion, is less important to their team.
Also, the only reason were talking Kane/winnipeg is the rumors out there about Kane getting traded. Winnipeg isnt going to trade Ladd unless the return is exelent. Moving him doesnt solve the perceived issues with Kane.

Old
07-29-2014, 04:26 AM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvidae View Post
He's off to a great start here.
So the player going to arbitration is a 'bad thing' ? Its a method in the CBA to allow the 2 parties to get a deal done when they cant agree. Its a business decision, and has no impact on ones desire to play with a certain club.

Its not like we know what JR is offering. What if he's only offering 2x 1.75m? Spaling is suppose to just take it and be greatful? Without knowing what the team is offering, attaching ANY label to a player choosing to go to arbitration is just stupid.

Old
07-29-2014, 04:29 AM
Riptide

Quote:
Yeah 2.5 is more than I'd like to spend on him. I'm honestly not seeing how he gets an award that high. Sobotka got 2.7 but is a better player with a longer track record of success. I think a 2.3 mil ruling is fair.
I'd do 2.5m if it was on a longer term deal (3-4 yrs). However as its going to be a 1-2 yr award - i think it'll be closer to 2m. Is he a FA or RFA after 1 yr? For some reason im thinking FA due to yrs of service.

Old
07-29-2014, 04:47 AM
Riptide

Quote:

LOL at Ehrhoff signing for 3.5m. Anything under 5m is a steal - as long as theres no major term to it. Dont calculate what his buyout is when figuring a new deal. Its honestly not really relivent when it comes to his new deal.

Old
07-29-2014, 07:22 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffle Fries View Post

Fun fact: Galiardi is one of two active NHL players that Rutherford follows on Twitter. The other is Brent Burns.
That is strangely awesome.

Old
07-29-2014, 07:31 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:

Martin, Letang
Maatta, Ehrhoff
Despres, Bortuzzo

Extremely wishful thinking on both Ehrhoff and Martin's next contracts. Both will be looking for very good money, solid term, and a chance to win. Ehrhoff at 4million was seen as a steal from pretty much everyone. If he does really well here he will be looking to cash in either here or on another contender. He's not going to be less than 5mil on a 4-5 year deal.

As for Martin, Orpik just got 5.5 on a 5 year deal and they are the same age. You know Orpik, the guy Martin carried on his back for most of the last 2 seasons. If he can get 5.5 on a 5 year deal, Martin will want at least that IMO.

Old
07-29-2014, 08:07 AM
gafel

Frolik 1yr 3.3m

Made 1.9m last season

Old
07-29-2014, 08:48 AM
Vokouna Maattata
Save us, Beau!

In that Martin thread on the main board, there was some talk about a deal based around Martin, a top prospect and a conditional pick (2016 1st if he doesn't re-sign, 2016 2nd if he does) for ROR. Would anyone here do that?

Closed Thread