HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Relocation of NY Rangers Affilate

Old
04-09-2007, 01:33 PM
Frostbite Warrior

vCash: 500
Relocation of NY Rangers Affilate

Do you think this should happen if the Hartford Wolfpack relocate to the city of Glens Falls New York? If so do anyone here have information like weblinks

Frostbite Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 03:07 PM
strumwolf

I do not have any info but that would be pretty sweet. Though I like the Times Union Center better than the Glens Hall Civic Center, I would go see the Wolf Pack as often as I could.

strumwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 04:35 PM
alkurtz

There has been a thread about this if you would like to explore people's opinions and ideas

Options for the Ranger's AHL affiliate:
1. Remain in Hartford even though MSG no longer will manage the Hartford Civic Center. They would need to negotiate a new lease with the new management. Advantages: an AHL size (5000+ rink), a long time relationship and an established fan base of knowledgeable fans, close enough to NYC to call players up with a few hours notice but far enough for the Pack to have their own identity. Disadvantages: bad feelings from losing the lease to the HCC, higher fees to use the rink, close but maybe to far away. Decision will be made by May 15.

2. Glens Falls: the city wants an AHL team back and is exploring that long term possibility. Fans there have missed hockey since the UHL Frostbite disbanded before the 06-07 season. Advantages: not that much further from MSG than Hartford and thus players can be recalled easily. Great for the many Ranger fans in the Albany/Clifton Park/Saratoga area. Disadvantage: rink is smaller than Hartford, old and in need of renovation. Parking is limited. Also, being only 40 miles from Albany, share a fan base with the AHL team there (Carolina's). Are there enough hockey fans to support 2 teams? AHL has failed there before and there was lease problems with the Frostbite (as well as mismanagement by Barry Melrose). The Albany team is already planning to play some weekend games in Glens Falls next year.

3. Brooklyn: Aviator Rink (holds about 2000) could be expanded or used temporarily until the Nets new arena is built in downtown Brooklyn. Advantages: close to MSG, a hardcore base of Ranger fans. Disadvantages: Aviator is currently to small. Are there plans for ice-making equipment in the new Nets arena or will it be strictly basketball and concerts? Can NYC support an AHL franchise to the tune of 5000-8000 a game? Given how the Devs and Fishsticks have trouble drawing people, is hockey over extended in NYC once you get by the Rangers.

4. Danbury, CT. Play temporarily in the Danbury Ice Arena (holds 3000) until a planned new arena (capacity 5000+) of off Exit 2 on I-84 is built or perhaps renovate the DIA. Advantages: unbelievably hardcore fans who miss the UHL Danbury Trashers. Much closer to NYC than Hartford or Glens Falls (about 70 miles from mid-town). Only 45 minutes from the Ranger training facility in Westchester and perhaps possible for their AHL affiliate to share the practice space and medical facilities. Disadvantages: the DIA realistically cannot be expanded. It has metal bench seating and the rink is not AHL caliber. Though new, when it was renovated for the Trashers, it reached its capacity for expansion. The proposed arena is only in the talking stage and may never be built. Would MSG throw major bucks at the DIA to renovate it? How would the city government feel?

5: The Meadowlands: with the Devs gone to Newark, the rink is available. A possible temporary solution until either Aviator is expanded, the Nets arena is built, DIA is expanded or a new rink is built in Danbury, or until Glens Falls renovates.

Another factor: the Rangers have also talked about moving their ECHL team, currently in Charlotte, NC closer.

Anyway....all should be decided by mid May. My guess: they stay in Hartford. Though I'm rooting for either Glens Falls (my son lives in the Albany area) or Danbury (I don't live that far away and miss the Trashers tremendously.

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2007, 05:10 PM
alkurtz

Previous thread was titled: New Managers Picked For Civic Center (I'd bet it's about 6 pages back).

By the way, MSG and Ranger management people did visit both Glens Falls and Danbury a few weeks back. After that initial burst of activity, all seems quiet and if anything is happening, its happening beneath the radar.

Old
04-09-2007, 06:15 PM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

According to the Hartford folks, something will be announced about next year prior to the middle of May. But that may not be about the long term, just about next year. This is just scuttlebutt, however, I believe that the organization is trying to work out a 1 year deal in Hartford.

Leslie Treff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2007, 12:53 PM
mnorman1

Send a message via AIM to mnorman1
Quote:
Originally Posted by alkurtz View Post
or Danbury (I don't live that far away and miss the Trashers tremendously.
Bring back Section 102!!!

mnorman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2007, 01:42 PM
o0goals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Treff View Post
According to the Hartford folks, something will be announced about next year prior to the middle of May. But that may not be about the long term, just about next year. This is just scuttlebutt, however, I believe that the organization is trying to work out a 1 year deal in Hartford.
I had heard they were agreeing to sign 4 one year deals (staggered signings of course) to keep the team in Hartford through 2012, while allowing the flexibility for the new managers to bring in an NHL team if Bettman decides he's stupid enough to move a team back there.

At least that's what they're telling season ticket holders...

o0goals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2007, 01:52 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Brooklyn, Danbury nor the CAA will be the Rangers' AHL AFFILIATE if it changes at all

Danbury is not big enough

Brooklyn is the home of the Nets originally

and isn't CAA scheduled for demolition once the Devils go to Newark?

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2007, 01:57 PM
alkurtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnorman1 View Post
Bring back Section 102!!!
Heard that the guys in 102 were involved in a ruckus (caused evidently by players on the opposition team) at the NEHL game last week involving the New England Stars.
Players went into the stands, one of 102's main men was tasered, cop were called in.
The NEHL, little more than a pickup, beer league has played at the DIA this winter. I have not gone to any games as its not real hockey. The UHL was, and is, real hockey. Hope it survives: it might reform as a reformed IHL next year.
102 was wild. I generally sat (I went to about 12 games a year) in 103. Check out their message boards.