HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Panthers Off Season Pickups

Old
07-28-2014, 10:18 AM
Krisberdeau

vCash: 500
Panthers Off Season Pickups

This off season the Florida Panthers have seen some changers to player personnel. Some of these changes were good, while some of them the exact opposite. There are four main players that Florida acquired that will be playing for the Panthers come the 2014-15 season. Willie Mitchell, Jussi Jokinen, Dave Bolland and Shawn Thornton.

All four of these players were signed by Florida on the opening day of free agency thinking that they could help the Panthers have a turnaround season in 14-15. I would like to go through each player and discuss what exactly it is they bring to the table, and whether they will really be able to help the team.

Read it all here: http://thehockeywriters.com/panthers...eason-pickups/

Great article!

Krisberdeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2014, 12:34 PM
Puck Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisberdeau View Post
This off season the Florida Panthers have seen some changers to player personnel. Some of these changes were good, while some of them the exact opposite. There are four main players that Florida acquired that will be playing for the Panthers come the 2014-15 season. Willie Mitchell, Jussi Jokinen, Dave Bolland and Shawn Thornton.

All four of these players were signed by Florida on the opening day of free agency thinking that they could help the Panthers have a turnaround season in 14-15. I would like to go through each player and discuss what exactly it is they bring to the table, and whether they will really be able to help the team.

Great article!
Seemed like just an excuse for the writer to rip on Bolland. His numbers weren't amazing but he only played a quarter of the season, and a small sample size will always skew advanced stats.

I'm not saying he's an amazing player, but let's wait and see how he plays before ripping him a new one.

Puck Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2014, 01:11 PM
TheCupNeedsATan

vCash: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisberdeau View Post

Great article!
Why no love for Montoya? He's arguably just as-if not more important than those other 4

TheCupNeedsATan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2014, 01:40 PM
ucanthanzalthetruth
Pirri for Cy Young

vCash: 653
^ I agree, no one is going to make as much of a difference in wins as Montoya, he should have at least been mentioned.

ucanthanzalthetruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2014, 06:22 PM
harv3317

totally agree on bolland. hope we're both wrong!!

harv3317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2014, 12:06 PM
AaronEkbald

So, essentially..

In:
Luongo
Montoya
Ellis
J.Jokinen
Bolland
MacKenzie
S.Thornton
Mitchell
Pirri
Hayes
Olsen
Ekblad

Out:
Thomas
Clemmensen
Markstrom
Matthias
Mottau
Whitney
Barch
Jovanovski
Weaver
Versteeg
Gomez
Winchester
Goc
Gilbert

I'll take it.

AaronEkbald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2014, 02:32 PM
MillarWithASave
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronEkbald View Post
So, essentially..

In:
Luongo
Montoya
Ellis
J.Jokinen
Bolland
MacKenzie
S.Thornton
Mitchell
Pirri
Hayes
Olsen
Ekblad

Out:
Thomas
Clemmensen
Markstrom
Matthias
Mottau
Whitney
Barch
Jovanovski
Weaver
Versteeg
Gomez
Winchester
Goc
Gilbert

I'll take it.
Aside from Goc and Timmy (I thought he played exceptional for us), I don't see anyone on that list that is better than the new list.

MillarWithASave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2014, 02:53 PM
pb1300
#CatsAreComing

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillarWithASave View Post
Aside from Goc and Timmy (I thought he played exceptional for us), I don't see anyone on that list that is better than the new list.
Id like to see Tallon make one more move for either a top six winger, or top four Dman, but even without this moves, I really like this years team. Of course our biggest concern year after year, aside from scoring goals, is staying healthy, but if we can, I think we are going to surprise a lot of people. One thing we have to consider is, even though we don't have that top line, 30+ goal scorer, we do have talent on this team. I wouldn't be surprised if Bjugstad was closer to 30 goals than 20 next season, and Barky was around that 20-25 goal mark. I know its a lot of pressure to put no those two, but they have the talent to do it, and we have to think they are going to take that next step. It happens to so many prospects from other teams, so why not can it happen for us once in a while? I know its a lot of pressure to put on the youth, but I really feel we are going to contend for a playoff spot.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2014, 03:07 PM
Acadmus
retired mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck Junkie View Post
Seemed like just an excuse for the writer to rip on Bolland. His numbers weren't amazing but he only played a quarter of the season, and a small sample size will always skew advanced stats.

I'm not saying he's an amazing player, but let's wait and see how he plays before ripping him a new one.
Umm....you have a very low threshold for "ripping" - he merely suggests that Bolland was overpaid for what he brings to the table, which is true. He doesn't really knock his abilities, merely points out that he's a risk because of a season-long injury last year, isn't going to be a show-stopper on offense, and positionally wasn't really needed. The article doesn't say he's a bad player...just not worth $5.5M a season to fill a 3rd line role that squeezes out a young, promising player who is already filling that role.

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2014, 10:31 PM
AaronEkbald

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillarWithASave View Post
Luongo>Thomas
Montoya>Clemmensen
Ellis=Markstrom
J.Jokinen>Versteeg
Bolland>=Goc
MacKenzie=Gomez
S.Thornton>Barch
Mitchell>Weaver
Pirri>Winchester
Hayes=Matthias
Olsen>Mottau
Ekblad>Gilbert (possibly now and without a doubt better in the long run)

*Ed Jovanovski and Ryan Whitney are no longer fit to play in the NHL.

AaronEkbald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2014, 12:27 AM
ucanthanzalthetruth
Pirri for Cy Young

vCash: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronEkbald View Post
Luongo>Thomas
Montoya>Clemmensen
Ellis=Markstrom
J.Jokinen>Versteeg
Bolland>=Goc
MacKenzie=Gomez
S.Thornton>Barch
Mitchell>Weaver
Pirri>Winchester
Hayes=Matthias
Olsen>Mottau
Ekblad>Gilbert (possibly now and without a doubt better in the long run)

*Ed Jovanovski and Ryan Whitney are no longer fit to play in the NHL.
I agree with everything except bolded. I'm not trying to be rude, but I bet you've never watched Mackenzie play (most probably haven't). He's a really effective player and exponentially better than Gomez. Our board, for whatever reason, loves players who try hard and give it their all every shift but aren't good, but Mackenzie gives it his all and is actually effective, especially on the PK. I think he will become a fan favourite here.

ucanthanzalthetruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2014, 01:05 AM
BigNickBjugstad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucanthanzalthetruth View Post
I agree with everything except bolded. I'm not trying to be rude, but I bet you've never watched Mackenzie play (most probably haven't). He's a really effective player and exponentially better than Gomez. Our board, for whatever reason, loves players who try hard and give it their all every shift but aren't good, but Mackenzie gives it his all and is actually effective, especially on the PK. I think he will become a fan favourite here.
He's basically our new Winchester, except with better faceoff ability.

BigNickBjugstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2014, 07:25 AM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucanthanzalthetruth View Post
Agree with this, he's well above Gomez.

07-30-2014, 10:05 AM
vendetta
#CatsAreComing

I would also say bolland>> goc
If goc has a good game u don't notice him...bolland should(if healthy) put up a bit better numbers while also hitting and agitating... U will notice him every shift, and in his own way is a difference maker... More vocal and a more established leader which we have sorely lacked... So IMO bolland>>goc

vendetta is online now   Reply With Quote