HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Current player most similar to Pavel Bure?

Old
07-27-2014, 03:24 AM
JetsAlternate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Acosta View Post
As soon as Dallas Eakins stops being the worst coach in NHL history with Barry Melrose's comeback in Tampa - it'll be Nail Yakupov
Nail would have to reform his game entirely to be anything like Pavel. Post #40 looks at Yakupov's game.

The video in that post features all of his goals from the 2013 shortened season -- with Ralph Krueger behind the Oilers' bench. Very little about Yakupov's game resembles Bure's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsAlternate View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by trexall View Post
stylistically the skating stance, build, I see a lot of similarities between Yakupov and Bure
I don't agree at all, actually. I've watched Yakupov very analytically over the past few seasons. Nail has a very low stance -- deep knee bend with a sort of a hunched look to it. He has quick feet; his top-end speed is quite average, though. He handles the puck very loosely, meaning he pushes the puck forward an entire stick's length, and as a result he struggles to handle the puck quickly because he's always reaching as far as he can just to hang on to it. His stickhandling technique I would describe as very loose.

Nail seems to be more of a north-south player. He stays on his side of the ice and generally dishes the puck or dumps it in as soon as he passes the offensive zone blueline. He does not usually carry the puck into the offensive zone. When he is in the offensive zone, he usually zips back and forth on his side of the ice, but stays on that side for the most part. There is not much variety or creativity to his game at all. Prior to the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, I had heard of the comparisons, but after watching him on many occasions I've realized it was only ever because he wore the #10, was Russian, and had some scoring abilities.

Here are all of his goals from the 2013 season. Nearly all of them were scored from the exact same spot with Yakupov parked at the goalmouth on the right side or from a little further out for one-timers. There is no variety to his game; he plays almost exclusively on the right side. With the puck on his stick, Nail rarely make anything happen either. Most of the time he just stickhandles into traffic with the puck too far out of reach.

Patrick Kane is about 100x closer to resembling Bure than Yakupov is. Kane may even be a faster skater than Nail, he is certainly more agile, and his ability to handle the puck quickly, maneuver all over the ice, carry the puck in with ease, and play a generally very creative game make him so much more like Bure than anybody else I've seen in the current NHL.
I suppose we can establish that the two are very different by making just one other observation: does Nail Yakupov even generate breakaways? I haven't seen him generate any breakaways for himself.

Has he scored a single breakaway goal in two years as an NHL player? Not even one. One of Pavel's signatures is his ability to generate breakaways with his speed.

Here are Nail's 2013-14 goals:

He relies almost solely on his wrist shot and one-timer to score. Some of his goals are the result of rebounds, some are one-timers from the right side, and a few goals result from wrist shots.

Last edited by JetsAlternate: 07-27-2014 at 04:04 AM.
JetsAlternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2014, 04:40 AM
JetsAlternate

Here's Pavel's first ever playoff goal, scored in 1992 against the Winnipeg Jets. He carries the puck out, passes it off to Tom Fergus, then accelerates ahead of the opposing defence before tipping the puck into the net.

Old
07-30-2014, 02:33 PM
ryrod

I see more of Jagr in Kane than I do Bure.

ryrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2014, 12:41 PM
TheNuge

For me Kessel has bure's explosive speed and stick handling aspect down pack when at top speed, but lacks the passion and heart of Bure..

So if I had to say it would be a Kessel / Prime Ovechkin Mixture...

Ps. The Subban Comparison is miles off and calm down with the 40 videos per post lmfao

TheNuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2014, 12:45 PM
TheNuge

Quote:
Nail would have to reform his game entirely to be anything like Pavel. Post #40 looks at Yakupov's game.

The video in that post features all of his goals from the 2013 shortened season -- with Ralph Krueger behind the Oilers' bench. Very little about Yakupov's game resembles Bure's.

I suppose we can establish that the two are very different by making just one other observation: does Nail Yakupov even generate breakaways? I haven't seen him generate any breakaways for himself.

Has he scored a single breakaway goal in two years as an NHL player? Not even one. One of Pavel's signatures is his ability to generate breakaways with his speed.

He relies almost solely on his wrist shot and one-timer to score. Some of his goals are the result of rebounds, some are one-timers from the right side, and a few goals result from wrist shots.
Does PK Subban generate lots of break aways for himself...NO...so stop bashing other peoples observations and forcing Subban down everyones throats...Every bash you have at other people can be turned on Subban....

Subban... Plays defense, is no where near as fast, doesn't blow by defenders with his speed, doesn't get break aways...scores most of his goals on the PP with a 1 timer, from the point.

Bure, is a winger, explosive speed, could of been the fastest NHL player ever.

TheNuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2014, 02:49 AM
The Green Unit

Matt Duchene

The Green Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2014, 03:19 AM
Oscar Acosta

vCash: 1066
Quote:
I haven't seen him generate any breakaways for himself.

He's simply not allowed to. Anyone actually watching Oiler games can see it a mile away, he's Michael Grabner with actual hands. The one timer goals are to boot. Yet he doesn't get played on the powerplay either.

If the Oilers are in a clutch, we need a goal, situation all of a sudden he's out there. He was a first overall pick for a reason, probably the fastest skater in the NHL and actually has hands to back it up. Unfortunately in the system the Oilers run they demand him to be in their own hashmarks and trying to make him a fasts Shawn Horcoff.

Oscar Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2014, 07:17 PM
JetsAlternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar Acosta View Post
He's simply not allowed to. Anyone actually watching Oiler games can see it a mile away, he's Michael Grabner with actual hands. The one timer goals are to boot. Yet he doesn't get played on the powerplay either.

If the Oilers are in a clutch, we need a goal, situation all of a sudden he's out there. He was a first overall pick for a reason, probably the fastest skater in the NHL and actually has hands to back it up. Unfortunately in the system the Oilers run they demand him to be in their own hashmarks and trying to make him a fasts Shawn Horcoff.
I'm not even sure he's the fastest skater on his own team. In a recent Edmonton Oilers skills competition event at Rexall Place, Taylor Hall was a full second faster than Yakupov in the fastest skater event. Unlike Bure, however, I'm sure Nail actually gives a pretty strong effort in that drill.

Nail has great acceleration; he'll reach top speed pretty quickly. I just don't think his top speed is all that good. Plus, as mentioned, when he handles the puck it's very loose. As someone who has watched a ton of Bure footage over the past few years and appreciates Pavel's style of play, I would like to see Yakupov actually play like his idol, but he simply does not resemble him at all. It isn't just about speed; it's mostly about positioning, tendencies and approach to the game. There are a lot of elements missing that I instead find present in Patrick Kane's game.

I agree the Oilers have probably restricted Nail's ability to play an offensive game, but until Nail actually shows he can play that way I don't know if he's capable of it. At Pavel's best (pre-injury), he made bringing the puck out of his zone seem easy, and he played at both ends. Beginning in the defensive zone was something Pavel liked to do. If Nail is deep in his zone and wants to play anything like Pavel, he would retrieve the puck in his own zone, take it up the neutral zone and make something happen. Playing in his own zone would, in many cases, give him the advantage of being the first player to have the puck on the breakout. He could dictate the pace.

It would be great if Nail played more like Bure. I even tweeted him my videos last summer; I felt he would appreciate them, considering how big of a Bure fan he is (apparently now changing his number to 10 in Edmonton as well). Even if he lacks the speed, maybe he would play a better east-west game and take note of what he is capable of adopting.

Maybe the Oilers' system demands that his positioning be a certain way; I know Markus Naslund's game changed for the worse when Alain Vigneault became the Canucks' coach. Before I can assert that Nail can play a certain way, though, he actually needs to prove on the ice that he can play that way. Otherwise, that comparison can't be made. As of now, his game is far too different from Bure's for me to draw a connection.

Last edited by JetsAlternate: 08-03-2014 at 07:40 PM.