HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

The Greatest Game You've Ever Witnessed

Old
07-30-2014, 01:34 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

vCash: 500
The Greatest Game You've Ever Witnessed

With the help of a few THW writers we took a trip down memory lane and talked about the greatest hockey game we've ever been to.

http://thehockeywriters.com/greatest...ver-witnessed/

What was the greatest game you've ever seen in person?

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2014, 05:04 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Fun article Shawn. By "Greatest Game Youve Ever Witnessed" I assume you mean either live or on television, though the interviewee's in the piece did see those games in the "raw" so to speak.... I think for many of us, its hard to pick just one as there have been so many over the years & decades. Live & in~person I for example as a spectator wasnt ever in attendance for anything spectacular or super special. Just Regular Season tilts, nothing really mind~blowing goin down. Now seeing games on television, absolutely, dozens of them. "Most memorable" being...

1961 Chicago Blackhawks winning the SC
Roger Croziers performances with Detroit mid-60's
Game 5 of the 67 Semi-Finals between Toronto & Chicago
Glenn Halls performance & Bostons first Cup in eons, Orr & Co
Game 8 of the 1972 Summit Series between Team Canada & the USSR
Both years of the Philadelphia Flyers Stanley Cup runs and Parents play
The Montreal Canadiens wins in 65, 66, 71, 76, 77, 78 & 79
Montreal vs Russia New Years Eve Classic
Darryl Sittlers 10 point night, Leafs vs Islanders Playoff Series
The NY Islanders gutsy & brilliant wins in 80, 81, 82 & 83

I'll leave it at that, plenty more of course... then what followed with the Oilers, Lemieux & Gretzky in the Canada Cup etc...

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2014, 05:13 PM
crobro

84 Canada cup semi finals canada-soviet union

crobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2014, 05:15 PM
TopJet
vezina trophy

2010 Olympics, Montreals comebacks this season against Ottawa...... Twice.

TopJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2014, 05:15 PM
silkyjohnson50

I was fortunate enough to be in attendance at the Joe on March 26, 1997. Detroit vs Colorado.

And the best playoff game I've experienced was Game 6 vs San Jose in 2011 where Detroit sent it to game 7 after being down 0-3 to start the series. I've been to a lot of playoff games over the years, but nothing beat that atmosphere.

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2014, 06:57 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Fun article Shawn. By "Greatest Game Youve Ever Witnessed" I assume you mean either live or on television, though the interviewee's in the piece did see those games in the "raw" so to speak.... I think for many of us, its hard to pick just one as there have been so many over the years & decades. Live & in~person I for example as a spectator wasnt ever in attendance for anything spectacular or super special. Just Regular Season tilts, nothing really mind~blowing goin down. Now seeing games on television, absolutely, dozens of them. "Most memorable" being...

1961 Chicago Blackhawks winning the SC
Roger Croziers performances with Detroit mid-60's
Game 5 of the 67 Semi-Finals between Toronto & Chicago
Glenn Halls performance & Bostons first Cup in eons, Orr & Co
Game 8 of the 1972 Summit Series between Team Canada & the USSR
Both years of the Philadelphia Flyers Stanley Cup runs and Parents play
The Montreal Canadiens wins in 65, 66, 71, 76, 77, 78 & 79
Montreal vs Russia New Years Eve Classic
Darryl Sittlers 10 point night, Leafs vs Islanders Playoff Series
The NY Islanders gutsy & brilliant wins in 80, 81, 82 & 83

I'll leave it at that, plenty more of course... then what followed with the Oilers, Lemieux & Gretzky in the Canada Cup etc...
Thanks. And yes, I intended it to be games you've seen in person. But those are some solid games you've seen on television.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2014, 09:57 PM
Dennis Bonvie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnTHW View Post
With the help of a few THW writers we took a trip down memory lane and talked about the greatest hockey game we've ever been to.

http://thehockeywriters.com/greatest...ver-witnessed/

What was the greatest game you've ever seen in person?
New England Whalers defeat Soviet National team 5-2, Dec. 27, 1976.

Mario Lemieux's first NHL game vs. Bruins in Boston Oct 11, 1984.

Hartford Whalers defeat Montreal Canadiens 1-0 in OT, Game 6 1986 playoffs, ties series 3-3.

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2014, 01:30 AM
Cold Medicine
Regist✭red User

I was at an almost great game on January 28th, 2003. Brett Hull had 699 goals and the Red Wings were playing in New Jersey. In the first period, Hull is fed a pass at the top of the crease, but fumbled the puck long enough that he was forced to try to jam it in. Later, in the second period, Hull got a pass in the circle but the puck went up on edge, and instead of one-timing it into a wide open net he shot it right into the logo. It was very disappointing.

Last edited by Cold Medicine: 07-31-2014 at 02:08 PM.
Cold Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2014, 01:45 AM
Art of Sedinery

I watched the Canucks beat the crap out of the Leafs a couple years ago.

Art of Sedinery is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2014, 10:14 AM
Sentinel

In person? Russia - Canada WC08 Finals. Kovalchuk tying and winning the game in OT.

Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2014, 06:33 PM
Boxscore
#oldNHL

In person - the 1996 World Cup of Hockey where USA tied Canada with 8 seconds left with Richter pulled. Canada went on to win in OT but the game was amazing.

Boxscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2014, 08:04 PM
barnztormre
WhY sO SeRiOuS?

Probably in 2001, Panthers at Habs. Canadiens outshoot Florida something like 50-12 but Luongo puts on an absolute clinic. Absolutely breathtaking.

Game goes to the last minute of OT, where Karl Dykhuis shoots one that goes five hole. Luongo stops 90 percent of it, but it slowly.....trickles.....thru, across the line. Bell Centre erupts, Lu collapses, then gets a LOUD standing O when announced as #1 star. It was awesome.

EDIT: so I got the shots off by a bit, and the winner was at 3:55 of OT, but it was 13 years (yikes!) ago, cut me a little slack

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport.../101321314.htm

barnztormre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2014, 08:40 PM
LeBlondeDemon10
BlindLemon Haystacks

In person:

- The Jets defeat the Oilers in the 1990 playoffs to take a 3-1 series lead.
- November 1988, NYR at Winnipeg. Lafleur scores twice and misses a penalty shot for the hat trick.

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2014, 09:09 PM
cynicism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art of Sedinery View Post
I watched the Canucks beat the crap out of the Leafs a couple years ago.
I think the idea is to have higher standards than that

cynicism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2014, 04:16 AM
Pegi90*

devils vs sabres 1994 game 6 sabres won 1-0 in overtime. did it go in 7th period, hasek making something like 70 saves and brodeur 50 and they cut the puck half after the game and both of them having piece of it nowdays.

Pegi90* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2014, 10:38 AM
Murphy 17

Game 6, Hawks vs Canucks in '09. Kane's hat trick sent the Canucks home. First time seeing the Hawks eliminate a team in the playoffs in person.

Murphy 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2014, 11:57 AM
Lexus
OWN THE MOMENT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxscore View Post
In person - the 1996 World Cup of Hockey where USA tied Canada with 8 seconds left with Richter pulled. Canada went on to win in OT but the game was amazing.
OT: But one of the best games I've seen is definitely the semifinal between Canada and Sweden in the very same tournament.
I believe Ulf Dahlen had one of the crossbar right before Canada sealed the deal in 2nd OT.

Lexus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2014, 02:15 PM
Ret
HFBoards Sponsor

Canada vs Russia at the 2010 Olympics for me.

Ret is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2014, 03:23 PM
MS

It wasn't an 'important' game, but in terms of sheer quality of play, the best game I've ever watched is this January 1992 game between Vancouver and Detroit :

http://www.hockey-reference.com/boxs...201230DET.html

Two excellent, talented teams playing quality back-and-forth terrifically entertaining hockey. Great goaltending, few penalties. Multiple stars and future HHOFers on both teams. Jyrki Lumme scores a beauty goal with less than a minutes left in the 3rd to win it and the Canucks add an empty-netter.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2014, 03:28 PM
nWo
New World Order

The 2010 Olympic Final (Canada vs USA)
Game 7 of the 2009 WCSF (Red Wings vs Ducks)
Game 7 of the 2011 ECQF (Bruins vs Habs)

nWo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2014, 03:41 PM
Signature
Capitano Giordano

vCash: 50
1989 Flames win the Cup in the Montreal Forum
2002 Canada win Olympic Gold in Salt Lake City
2004 Flames' incredible trip to the Cup Final
2011 Canucks Game 7 of the Western Quarterfinals against the Blackhawks
2010 Canada Men's win Olympic Gold in Vancouver
2014 Canada Women's win Olympic Gold in Sochi

For me, it's not exactly about the technical level of hockey that was played but the emotion, the atmosphere. Obviously, I'd have a bias towards "my" team.

For instance, although I'm a Flames fan I remember watching that Game 7 through my TV screen of the Game 7 between the Blackhawks and Canucks and remember feeling how much emotion, intensity, and weight of the game on the shoulders of the players and the fans in attendance - that basically signified that it was all-or-nothing for Vancouver to get the Chicago playoff monkey off their back.
Of course, I'm still glad they lost against the Bruins in the Final but I was equally glad, if not more so, to experience sharing the feeling of determination to win and the gut dread of losing that Game 7 all the way in the first round.

08-01-2014, 04:18 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 966
2002 Salt Lake City... Canada vs Czech. The game ended in a 2-2 tie I think and it amazing hockey. Game 2 of the 1996 World Cup

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2014, 09:02 PM
Sadekuuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexus View Post
OT: But one of the best games I've seen is definitely the semifinal between Canada and Sweden in the very same tournament.
I believe Ulf Dahlen had one of the crossbar right before Canada sealed the deal in 2nd OT.
Wasn't it Johan Garpenlöv?

Sadekuuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2014, 10:08 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Game One of the 1983 SCF. Oilers v. NYI. Edmonton Northlands Coliseum.

Mike Bossy out for NYI. Oilers basically tilting the ice for 60 minutes. Billy Smith playing out of his mind. Isles opportunistic, score one goal and hold on until getting an empty netter.

Basically set the tone for the sweep which occurred, but beyond that it was a game of supreme skill and strategy, between two legendary teams.

Beyond that, in hindsight, the game was noteworthy as it shatters two silly myths popular among some fans today. First the idea about what constitutes "exciting, offensive" hockey and the need for "more goals!". That game was one of the most exciting offensive games you'll ever see. Yes, offensive, even thought it was essentially a 1-0 game. Messier, Gretzky, Kurri, Anderson, Coffey and friends created chances all night. They were electric. They just didn't score.

Second, the naïve idea that "all goalies sucked backed then." Sure, tell that to Billy Smith. Thirty-one years later, I'm still waiting to see a better 60 minutes in net.

Was in attendance at MSG for NYR's only Cup in a million light years ('94), and witnessed a game at the old Chicago Stadium - a near-religious experience, the place was so loud, despite it being a meaningless regular season game.

Great memories, but with regard to the quality of hockey on the ice, for me nothing beats May 10th, 1983.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegi90 View Post
devils vs sabres 1994 game 6 sabres won 1-0 in overtime. did it go in 7th period, hasek making something like 70 saves and brodeur 50 and they cut the puck half after the game and both of them having piece of it nowdays.
Epic contest. Two greats at their very best.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2014, 11:01 PM
HisIceness
Michal Jordan

A good description is in the video but a little further background here.

Carolina was predicted to finish anywhere from 25th to dead last in the preseason predictions. Meanwhile the Flyers were predicted to win the Cup by some.

Both teams were pretty good at this time but there was something about Carolina. They were off to a hot start and had beaten several good teams including a then unbeaten Ottawa squad a week before and man-handled an unbeaten(?) Devils team in NJ about 2 weeks prior. Definitely not what was expected of them.

Anyways fast forward to this game. Friday night, sell-out crowd and well, let the video speak for itself. This is the game that a lot of us Canes fans look back at as "that game" that we knew something special was coming.

I am picking this game for this reason. I remember it like it was yesterday and I watched it from start to finish. I can still remember being asked to go to a High School football game that night between two schools I had no connections too and knew maybe 1 person at either school. The looks I got telling my group of friends I wanted to watch the Hockey game was priceless. And damn right, it was worth it.

HM to Canes/Devils game 2 in '06 and games 4 and 7 in '09 however, I missed a few key parts of these 3 games although I sure didn't miss the endings.

HisIceness is offline   Reply With Quote