HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Most One-Sided Playoff Series

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-30-2014, 07:36 AM
  #1
The Panther
Registered User
 
The Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Country: Japan
Posts: 1,249
vCash: 500
Most One-Sided Playoff Series

What are some of the most one-sided playoff victories you can remember?

I just was watching a vid about the 1994 Edmonton (aka: New York) Rangers, and I'd totally forgotten how much the Rangers dominated the Isles. And this, after the Rangers won only 1 of 5 matches against the Islanders in the regular season.

The Rangers not only won in a 4-game sweep -- they outscored the Isles 22 to 3...! I think I'd be hard-pressed to find a post-1980s series so one-sided, but I might be wrong.

Must have been some one-sided ass-whoopin's in the 1970s, too.

Examples?

The Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2014, 07:58 AM
  #2
Disengage
Registered User
 
Disengage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ontario, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 551
vCash: 500
2009 Detroit vs. Columbus. Detroit swept, was never behind in a game and outscored Columbus 18-7.

Disengage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2014, 08:08 AM
  #3
gudzilla
Registered User
 
gudzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 4,771
vCash: 500
yahoo answered this one for me, somehow!

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...1214522AAzxawA (if its not OK, pls remove)


2003 The Mighty Ducks swept the Wild, outscoring them 9-1 (9x)
1994 The Rangers swept the Islanders, outscoring them 22-3 (7.33x)
1969 The Blues swept the Flyers, outscoring them 17-3 5.67x)
1952 The Red Wings swept the Canadiens, outscoring them 11-2 (5.5x)
2002 The Senators beat the Flyers in 5, outscoring them 11-2 (5.5x)
1981 The Islanders swept the Maple Leafs, oustcoring them 20-4 (5x)
1984 The canadiens swept the Bruins, outscoring them 10-2 (5x)
1969 The Bruins swept the Maple Leafs, outscoring them 24-5 (4.8x)
1977 The Canadiens swept the Blues, outscoring them 19-4 (4.75x)
1979 The Islanders swept the Blackhawks, outscoring them 14-3 (4.66x)
1979 The Rangers swept the Kings, oustcoring them 9-2 (4.5x)
1952 The Red Wings swept the Leafs, outscoring them 13-3 (4.33x)
1976 The Canadiens swept the Blackhawks, outscoring them 13-3 (4.33x)
2006 The Devils swept the Rangers outscoring them 17-4 (4.25x)
1954 The Canadiens swept the Bruins, outscoring them 16-4 (4x)
1969 The Canadiens swept the Blues, outscoring them 12-3 (4x)
1983 The Sabres swept the Canadiens, outscoring them 8-2 (4x)
1995 The Red Wings swept the Sharks, outscoring them 24-6 (4x)
2006 The Mighty Ducks swept the Avalanche outscoring them 16-4 (4x)
1996 The Avalanche swept the Panthers, outscoring them 15-4 (3.75x)
1977 The Sabres swept the North Stars, outscoring them 11-3 (3.67x)
1978 The Maple Leafs swept the Kings, outscoring them 11-3 (3.67x)
1972 The Bruins swept the Blues, outscoring them 28-8 (3.5x)
1979 The Rangers beat the Flyers in 5, outscoring them 28-8 (3.5x)
1951 The Maple Leafs beat the Bruins in 6, outscoring them 17-5 (3.4x)
1986 The Oilers swept the Canucks, outscoring them 17-5 (3.4x)
2001 The Maple Leafs swept the Senators, outscoring them 10-3 (3.33x)
1969 The Blues swept the Kings, outscoring them 16-5 (3.2x)
1958 The Canadiens swept the Red Wings, outscoring them 19-6 (3.17x)
1960 The Canadiens swept the Maple Leafs, outscoring them 15-5 (3x)
1976 The Kings swept the Flames, outscoring them 3-1 (3x)
1980 The Blackhawks swept the Blues, outscoring them 12-4 (3x)
1984 The Capitals swept the Flyers, outscoring them 15-5 (3x)
1985 The Black Hawks swept the Red Wings, outscoring them 23-8 (2.88x)
1970 The Bruins swept the Blues, outscoring them 20-7 (2.86x)
1983 The Islanders swept the Oilers, outscoring them 17-6 (2.83x)
1974 The Flyers swept the Flames, outscoring them 17-6 (2.83x)
1999 The Red Wings swept the Mighty Ducks, outscoring them 17-6 (2.83x)
2007 The Rangers beat Atlanta 4-0 last year outscoring them 17-6 (2.83x)
1995 The Devils beat the Bruins 4-1, outscoring them 14-5 (2.8x)
2004 The Lightning swept the Canadiens outscoring them 14-5 (2.8x)
1981 The Islanders swept the Rangers, outscoring them 22-8 (2.75x)
1986 The Capitals swept the Islanders, outscoring them 11-4 (2.75x)
1992 The Penguins swept the Bruins, outscoring them 19-7 (2.71x)
1983 The Oilers beat the Flames in 5, outscoring them 35-13 (2.69x)
1956 The Canadiens beat the Rangers in 5, outscoring them 24-9 (2.67x)
1976 The Maple Leafs beat the Penguins in 3, outscoring them 8-3 (2.67x)
1977 The Canadiens swept the Bruins, outscoring them 16-6 (2.67x)
1978 The Canadiens swept the Maple Leafs, outscoring them 16-6 (2.67x)
1992 The Blackhawks swept the Oilers, outscoring them 21-8 (2.63x)
1984 The Nordiques swept the Sabres, outscoring them 13-5 (2.6x)
2002 The Blues beat the Black Hawks in 5, outscoring them 13-5 (2.6x)
1984 The Oilers swept the Jets, outscoring them 18-7 (2.57x)
1998 The Capitals beat the Senators in 5, outscoring them 18-7 (2.57x)
1957 The Canadiens beat the Bruins , outscoring them 15-6 (2.5x)
1966 The Canadiens swept the Maple Leafs, outscoring them 15-6 (2.5x)
1971 The Blackhawks swept the Flyers, outscoring them 20-8 (2.5x)
1975 The Flyers swept the Maple Leafs, outscoring them 15-6 (2.5x)
1981 The Oilers swept the Canadiens, outscoring them 15-6 (2.5x)
1987 The Red Wings swept the Blackhawks, outscoring them 15-6 (2.5x)
1990 The Bruins swept the Capitals, outscoring them 15-6 (2.5x)
1990 The Oilers beat the Bruins in 5, outscoring them 20-8 (2.5x)
2000 The Red Wings swept the Kings, outscoring them 15-6 (2.5x)
1973 The Blackhawks beat the Blues in 5, outscoring them 22-9 (2.44x)
2001 The Devils beat the Penguins in 5, outscoring them 17-7 (2.43x)
1978 The Canadiens beat the Red Wings in 5, outscoring them 24-10 (2.4x)
1990 The Oilers swept the Kings, outscoring them 24-10 (2.4x)

gudzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2014, 09:00 AM
  #4
Zil
Registered User
 
Zil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 4,293
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Panther View Post
I just was watching a vid about the 1994 Edmonton (aka: New York) Rangers
I guess that's why 129 of 202 playoff points were scored by people who never played for the Oilers. And everyone obviously remembers Graves, the only non-Messier former Oiler to reach double digit playoff points, for his two seasons as an Oiler rather than his decade as a Ranger. Nobody cares that he never scored 10 goals in a season before signing in New York. Nor does anyone remember that Beukeboom played 520 of his 804 career games as a Ranger.

93-94 Rangers regular season leading scorer: Sergei Zubov
93-94 Rangers post-season leading scorer: Brian Leetch
Conn Smythe Winner: Brian Leetch

Messier captained the Rangers to that cup. A bunch of other ex-Oilers served as role players. Somewhere along the line Edmonton fans blurred those facts into a fairy tale that 93-94 secretly belongs to the Oilers Dynasty. It's a myth that should stay on the Edmonton board.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2014, 09:11 AM
  #5
dr robbie
Let's Go Pens!
 
dr robbie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: St. Louis
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,498
vCash: 500
Howabout the Blues getting swept 3 years straight by the Bruins in the SCF? They basically set up the playoffs where the best of the new teams (crap in comparison) went against the best in the league. Blues never really had a chance.

dr robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2014, 10:27 AM
  #6
The Panther
Registered User
 
The Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Country: Japan
Posts: 1,249
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
I guess that's why 129 of 202 playoff points were scored by people who never played for the Oilers. And everyone obviously remembers Graves, the only non-Messier former Oiler to reach double digit playoff points, for his two seasons as an Oiler rather than his decade as a Ranger. Nobody cares that he never scored 10 goals in a season before signing in New York. Nor does anyone remember that Beukeboom played 520 of his 804 career games as a Ranger.

93-94 Rangers regular season leading scorer: Sergei Zubov
93-94 Rangers post-season leading scorer: Brian Leetch
Conn Smythe Winner: Brian Leetch

Messier captained the Rangers to that cup. A bunch of other ex-Oilers served as role players. Somewhere along the line Edmonton fans blurred those facts into a fairy tale that 93-94 secretly belongs to the Oilers Dynasty. It's a myth that should stay on the Edmonton board.
You appear to be sensitive about this point.

Now, just imagine if Alex Kovalev, Mike Richter, Brian Leetch, Sergei Zubov, James Patrick, Sergei Nemchinov, Jeff Beukeboom, and Adam Graves were all playing together for the Philadelphia Flyers and won the Stanley Cup. Meanwhile, the Rangers are in last place, having lost those players for very little (in some cases nothing) in return.

But of course the Flyers' Stanley Cup, captained by Leetch, with Kovalev leading the team with 50+ goals, has nothing to do with The Rangers, and wouldn't upset you at all to see.

After all, those guys only scored 40% of their points!

The Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2014, 10:43 AM
  #7
Tam O Shanter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 246
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disengage View Post
2009 Detroit vs. Columbus. Detroit swept, was never behind in a game and outscored Columbus 18-7.
oh, man. First response! The one I was thinking of.

I was in the inaugural playoff pool at work... maybe 80 guys in it. Steve Mason had me believing, and I'm a WINGS fan!!! One of those pools where you pick one guy from each box, I picked no Detroit, and all Columbus thinking that, if there was an upset, I'd be the only guy with anyone left, pretty much guaranteeing me the pool victory while softening the blow of Detroit being bounced.......

Phew. They still make fun of me.

Tam O Shanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2014, 10:44 AM
  #8
weaponomega
Registered User
 
weaponomega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,718
vCash: 500
Has there been a more lopsided 7 game series than Vancouver - Boston in 2011? The Bruins outscored them 23-8. When the Canucks won, they did so by one goal. When they lost, they lost badly.

weaponomega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2014, 11:22 AM
  #9
LeBlondeDemon10
BlindLemon Haystacks
 
LeBlondeDemon10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,128
vCash: 500
The most impressive examples are the few finals series in the list posted by gudzilla.

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2014, 12:16 PM
  #10
Zil
Registered User
 
Zil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 4,293
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Panther View Post
You appear to be sensitive about this point.

Now, just imagine if Alex Kovalev, Mike Richter, Brian Leetch, Sergei Zubov, James Patrick, Sergei Nemchinov, Jeff Beukeboom, and Adam Graves were all playing together for the Philadelphia Flyers and won the Stanley Cup. Meanwhile, the Rangers are in last place, having lost those players for very little (in some cases nothing) in return.

But of course the Flyers' Stanley Cup, captained by Leetch, with Kovalev leading the team with 50+ goals, has nothing to do with The Rangers, and wouldn't upset you at all to see.

After all, those guys only scored 40% of their points!
The only ex-Oiler to perform at a star level on both the Oilers and the 94 Rangers was Messier. I guess any team that won a Cup with a non-homegrown superstar technically owes it to that player's original team. Graves made his career as a Ranger, as did Beukeboom. Neither guy can be considered part of the Oiler dynasty core.

It must have been real tough watching the husks of Anderson and MacTavish get dragged to a Cup by the rest of the team. Those eight 94 playoff points Tikkanen scored have clearly never been matched in Edmonton history since. But hey, you got Kevin Lowe right back after 94 so no harm no foul.



It sure looks like they're New York Rangers to me.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2014, 12:26 PM
  #11
The Panther
Registered User
 
The Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Country: Japan
Posts: 1,249
vCash: 500
Zil, let's make a deal -- you can have Kevin Lowe back, as NYR's GM, and in return Edmonton will get a trash can lid.

Sound fair?

(Sorry Kev... you were a decent player at times... but please let the Oilers out of your death-grasp.)

The Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2014, 12:32 PM
  #12
Zil
Registered User
 
Zil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 4,293
vCash: 500
I'll do you one better: Keep Lowe and we'll give you Sather back too.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2014, 12:44 PM
  #13
Terry Yake
Registered User
 
Terry Yake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 3,210
vCash: 500
2003 mighty ducks vs wild

i think the wild scored 1 goal the entire series

Terry Yake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2014, 01:22 PM
  #14
blogofmike
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 699
vCash: 500
36% of points coming from former Oilers sounds small, but I'd bet it's the largest contribution of any team's former players to a new team's championship run since the 1980s (I'm willing to bet money that someone donated more to someone else's championship in the pre-WHA merger days. And I'll even bet Chicago was one of the teams...) It's even larger than the contribution of Russians to Detroit 1997 and 1998 Cups.

One of the places the Oilers made their mark on the 1994 season was on the PK (91.2%, #1 in playoffs). MacTavish may have been a role player, but he was New York's top PK centre and he was apparently good at it. Graves, Lowe, Messier, Tikkanen, and Beukeboom were 6 of the 10 Rangers with 2 PGA or more. Anderson was the seventh Oiler and didn't get much time, but did get an SHGWG in Game 2 to tie the series at 1-1.

blogofmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2014, 01:27 PM
  #15
quoipourquoi
Moderator
Goaltender
 
quoipourquoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hockeytown, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 3,647
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
It must have been real tough watching the husks of Anderson and MacTavish get dragged to a Cup by the rest of the team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Panther View Post
Zil, let's make a deal -- you can have Kevin Lowe back, as NYR's GM, and in return Edmonton will get a trash can lid.

Sound fair?



I'll echo the Rangers/Islanders. There was a thread on the main board a while back where people were throwing around the "Gretzky" word because they discovered the 1994 Playoffs where Hasek was .950 in just 7 games - blissfully unaware that Richter was .952 through 7 games, and a soul-crushing .967 against the Islanders. He was really making a statement at the start of their Cup run, and it's a good thing, because if they had to go deep in the early rounds, they might have ran out of steam in the ECF/SCF.

The 2003 Mighty Ducks may have the better ratio, but the games were still somewhat close because of how poor Anaheim's offense was. The Rangers dropped 5 or 6 on their rivals every night.

quoipourquoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2014, 02:02 PM
  #16
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by quoipourquoi View Post

I'll echo the Rangers/Islanders. There was a thread on the main board a while back where people were throwing around the "Gretzky" word because they discovered the 1994 Playoffs where Hasek was .950 in just 7 games - blissfully unaware that Richter was .952 through 7 games, and a soul-crushing .967 against the Islanders. He was really making a statement at the start of their Cup run, and it's a good thing, because if they had to go deep in the early rounds, they might have ran out of steam in the ECF/SCF.

The 2003 Mighty Ducks may have the better ratio, but the games were still somewhat close because of how poor Anaheim's offense was. The Rangers dropped 5 or 6 on their rivals every night.
Yeah, the Rangers series was pretty nuts. Back to back 6-0 wins to open the series, then 5-1 and 5-2. The Islanders did briefly have a 2-1 lead after 1 period in game 4, but you knew it was only a matter of time.

On top of that, they opened the next series 6-3, 5-2, 3-0 and basically put the Caps down for the count quickly. Richter allowed just 7 goals in first 7 games of the playoffs with 3 shutouts. Those numbers are just absurd.

If we are looking at the NYR/NYI series and comparing it to the Ducks/Wild, I'll throw this out there:

Rangers outshot the Islanders 127-90
The Ducks were actually outshot by the Wild 123-108

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2014, 07:58 PM
  #17
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 22,321
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gudzilla View Post
yahoo answered this one for me, somehow!

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...1214522AAzxawA (if its not OK, pls remove)


2003 The Mighty Ducks swept the Wild, outscoring them 9-1 (9x)
1994 The Rangers swept the Islanders, outscoring them 22-3 (7.33x)
1969 The Blues swept the Flyers, outscoring them 17-3 5.67x)
1952 The Red Wings swept the Canadiens, outscoring them 11-2 (5.5x)
2002 The Senators beat the Flyers in 5, outscoring them 11-2 (5.5x)
1981 The Islanders swept the Maple Leafs, oustcoring them 20-4 (5x)
1984 The canadiens swept the Bruins, outscoring them 10-2 (5x)
1969 The Bruins swept the Maple Leafs, outscoring them 24-5 (4.8x)
1977 The Canadiens swept the Blues, outscoring them 19-4 (4.75x)
1979 The Islanders swept the Blackhawks, outscoring them 14-3 (4.66x)
1979 The Rangers swept the Kings, oustcoring them 9-2 (4.5x)
1952 The Red Wings swept the Leafs, outscoring them 13-3 (4.33x)
1976 The Canadiens swept the Blackhawks, outscoring them 13-3 (4.33x)
2006 The Devils swept the Rangers outscoring them 17-4 (4.25x)
1954 The Canadiens swept the Bruins, outscoring them 16-4 (4x)
1969 The Canadiens swept the Blues, outscoring them 12-3 (4x)
1983 The Sabres swept the Canadiens, outscoring them 8-2 (4x)
1995 The Red Wings swept the Sharks, outscoring them 24-6 (4x)
2006 The Mighty Ducks swept the Avalanche outscoring them 16-4 (4x)
1996 The Avalanche swept the Panthers, outscoring them 15-4 (3.75x)
1977 The Sabres swept the North Stars, outscoring them 11-3 (3.67x)
1978 The Maple Leafs swept the Kings, outscoring them 11-3 (3.67x)
1972 The Bruins swept the Blues, outscoring them 28-8 (3.5x)
1979 The Rangers beat the Flyers in 5, outscoring them 28-8 (3.5x)
1951 The Maple Leafs beat the Bruins in 6, outscoring them 17-5 (3.4x)
1986 The Oilers swept the Canucks, outscoring them 17-5 (3.4x)
2001 The Maple Leafs swept the Senators, outscoring them 10-3 (3.33x)
1969 The Blues swept the Kings, outscoring them 16-5 (3.2x)
1958 The Canadiens swept the Red Wings, outscoring them 19-6 (3.17x)
1960 The Canadiens swept the Maple Leafs, outscoring them 15-5 (3x)
1976 The Kings swept the Flames, outscoring them 3-1 (3x)
1980 The Blackhawks swept the Blues, outscoring them 12-4 (3x)
1984 The Capitals swept the Flyers, outscoring them 15-5 (3x)
1985 The Black Hawks swept the Red Wings, outscoring them 23-8 (2.88x)
1970 The Bruins swept the Blues, outscoring them 20-7 (2.86x)
1983 The Islanders swept the Oilers, outscoring them 17-6 (2.83x)
1974 The Flyers swept the Flames, outscoring them 17-6 (2.83x)
1999 The Red Wings swept the Mighty Ducks, outscoring them 17-6 (2.83x)
2007 The Rangers beat Atlanta 4-0 last year outscoring them 17-6 (2.83x)
1995 The Devils beat the Bruins 4-1, outscoring them 14-5 (2.8x)
2004 The Lightning swept the Canadiens outscoring them 14-5 (2.8x)
1981 The Islanders swept the Rangers, outscoring them 22-8 (2.75x)
1986 The Capitals swept the Islanders, outscoring them 11-4 (2.75x)
1992 The Penguins swept the Bruins, outscoring them 19-7 (2.71x)
1983 The Oilers beat the Flames in 5, outscoring them 35-13 (2.69x)
1956 The Canadiens beat the Rangers in 5, outscoring them 24-9 (2.67x)
1976 The Maple Leafs beat the Penguins in 3, outscoring them 8-3 (2.67x)
1977 The Canadiens swept the Bruins, outscoring them 16-6 (2.67x)
1978 The Canadiens swept the Maple Leafs, outscoring them 16-6 (2.67x)
1992 The Blackhawks swept the Oilers, outscoring them 21-8 (2.63x)
1984 The Nordiques swept the Sabres, outscoring them 13-5 (2.6x)
2002 The Blues beat the Black Hawks in 5, outscoring them 13-5 (2.6x)
1984 The Oilers swept the Jets, outscoring them 18-7 (2.57x)
1998 The Capitals beat the Senators in 5, outscoring them 18-7 (2.57x)
1957 The Canadiens beat the Bruins , outscoring them 15-6 (2.5x)
1966 The Canadiens swept the Maple Leafs, outscoring them 15-6 (2.5x)
1971 The Blackhawks swept the Flyers, outscoring them 20-8 (2.5x)
1975 The Flyers swept the Maple Leafs, outscoring them 15-6 (2.5x)
1981 The Oilers swept the Canadiens, outscoring them 15-6 (2.5x)
1987 The Red Wings swept the Blackhawks, outscoring them 15-6 (2.5x)
1990 The Bruins swept the Capitals, outscoring them 15-6 (2.5x)
1990 The Oilers beat the Bruins in 5, outscoring them 20-8 (2.5x)
2000 The Red Wings swept the Kings, outscoring them 15-6 (2.5x)
1973 The Blackhawks beat the Blues in 5, outscoring them 22-9 (2.44x)
2001 The Devils beat the Penguins in 5, outscoring them 17-7 (2.43x)
1978 The Canadiens beat the Red Wings in 5, outscoring them 24-10 (2.4x)
1990 The Oilers swept the Kings, outscoring them 24-10 (2.4x)
2009 Bruins - Habs have to be there. God, that was embarrassing.

17-6 Bruins. Kinda felt like 32-6 for all I care.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2014, 09:35 PM
  #18
The Panther
Registered User
 
The Panther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Country: Japan
Posts: 1,249
vCash: 500
Speaking of Kevin Lowe, in his book Champions (1988), he writes about how the 1st-round series in 1986 -- Edmonton vs. Vancouver -- was far too easy. The Oil outscored Van 17-5 in three matches, and in the last game in Van there were about 5000 people there watching Edmonton throw their sticks on the ice and win. He said the players on the bench were sort-of sitting there, thinking, "This is the playoffs"?

Yeah, I think the NYR/NYI in 1994 is more of a butt-kickin' than the Ducks/Wild in 2003. Being outscored 9-1 in four games is a little better than being outscored 22-3.

The Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2014, 10:35 PM
  #19
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Grace Personified
 
Mike Farkas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,229
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Yake View Post
2003 mighty ducks vs wild

i think the wild scored 1 goal the entire series
See, to me, that was a very close series. It felt like every game was 1-0 in triple OT...there was only one game that I think got away from Minnesota (they lost 3-0 or some such) but both teams played the same basic style and just waited for the other to make a mistake. That series could have gone the other way and no one would have batted an eyelash...

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2014, 11:02 PM
  #20
Kirikanoir
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,128
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Panther View Post
Speaking of Kevin Lowe, in his book Champions (1988), he writes about how the 1st-round series in 1986 -- Edmonton vs. Vancouver -- was far too easy. The Oil outscored Van 17-5 in three matches, and in the last game in Van there were about 5000 people there watching Edmonton throw their sticks on the ice and win. He said the players on the bench were sort-of sitting there, thinking, "This is the playoffs"?
Well what did they expect. They were playing a Vancouver team that finished with a record of 23W 44L 13T 59 points, compared with Edmonton`s record of 56W 17L 7T 119 points. Besides finishing 60 points better than Vancouver, they also went 7-0-1 against them in the regular season.

Kirikanoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2014, 11:12 PM
  #21
bigbuffalo313
Registered User
 
bigbuffalo313's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 2,902
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
See, to me, that was a very close series. It felt like every game was 1-0 in triple OT...there was only one game that I think got away from Minnesota (they lost 3-0 or some such) but both teams played the same basic style and just waited for the other to make a mistake. That series could have gone the other way and no one would have batted an eyelash...
The scores were 1-0 2OT, 2-0, 4-0, and 2-1. It is similar to the SCF this year where it was over quickly but all except one game were close

bigbuffalo313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2014, 11:20 PM
  #22
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuffalo313 View Post
The scores were 1-0 2OT, 2-0, 4-0, and 2-1. It is similar to the SCF this year where it was over quickly but all except one game were close
I don't know which is crazier. That it took the Wild 4 games to figure out Giguere, who had a .992 SV%, or that the only 4 regulation even strength goals in the series were scored in game 3. OT goal in game 1, both goals in game 2 were shorthanded, and all three goals in game 4 were on the power play.

Or that Marian Gaborik had 9G 8A in 14 games going into the series and didn't manage a single point.


Last edited by Tawnos: 07-30-2014 at 11:31 PM.
Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2014, 10:51 AM
  #23
nWo
New World Order
 
nWo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: In my house
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,015
vCash: 500
Detroit over Colorado in 2008; outscoring them 21-9

nWo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2014, 11:04 AM
  #24
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns
 
WarriorOfGandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Country: Scotland
Posts: 14,039
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nWo View Post
Detroit over Colorado in 2008; outscoring them 21-9
in which Franzen scored more goals than the entire Colorado squad

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2014, 05:52 PM
  #25
Sadekuuro
Registered User
 
Sadekuuro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Seattle
Posts: 4,336
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
in which Franzen scored more goals than the entire Colorado squad
Equaled them, actually, if memory serves.

The first one that came to my mind was the '95 Red Wings exacting revenge on the Sharks for a year earlier, aka the "Tennis Series"... 6-0, 6-2, 6-2, 6-2.

Sadekuuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:04 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.