HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kevin Lowe's inactivity

Closed Thread

Old
02-18-2004, 01:57 AM
Oi'll say!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage
Well, he'd have to be protected in the waiver draft, but the Oilers have never had problems with that because they're a young team. You can still protect players in Europe (I'm not sure if that's what you mean). The problem is, he can not be sent down without clearing waivers. If he's sent down, and he has a one way contract, he can be picked up on waivers, but players on one way deals rarely get sent down, and the ones who do are usually not worth picking up. So basically, the choice is pretty much what I said (although there are some other unlikely scenarios).
I thought you were saying that the Oil could get away with sending him down if he was signed to a one-way contract, or that they could keep his rights if he went back to europe after this season.

The Oil have had trouble with the waiver draft in recent years, that's how they lost Kelly Buchberger.

Sather used to protect Reijo Ruotselainen every year long after he retired just as a joke (long story) but he had to give that up because he didn't have an extra spot anymore.

Old
02-18-2004, 02:01 AM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
I thought you were saying that the Oil could get away with sending him down if he was signed to a one-way contract, or that they could keep his rights if he went back to europe after this season.

The Oil have had trouble with the waiver draft in recent years, that's how they lost Kelly Buchberger.

Sather used to protect Reijo Ruotselainen every year long after he retired just as a joke (long story) but he had to give that up because he didn't have an extra spot anymore.
Kelly Buchberger was lost in the expansion draft.

02-18-2004, 02:02 AM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
If he's played enough pro games (or however it works), he'll have to clear waivers with either a one-way or two-way contract.
Skaters Age - Years from NHL signing - NHL Games Played*
18yrs - 5yrs or 160gp
19 - 4 or 160
20 - 3 or 160
21 - 3 or 80
22 - 3 or 70
23 - 3 or 60
24 - 2 or 60
25+ 1 or -

Rita was signed to a pro contract as a 20 yr old and he's just finishing his 3rd year now so he's definitely got to be protected unless the rules have changed. This info was from the 2002/'03 draft.

Old
02-18-2004, 02:04 AM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky83
Kelly Buchberger was lost in the expansion draft.
Oops, I thought it was the waiver draft. I'm not even sure it was Rexy that they used to throw on the list every year.

Old
02-18-2004, 07:53 AM
Yanner39

Great thread.

My only concern in all of this is that it just doesn't seem like there is any help on the way. I mean, there some good things that have happened this season and some players showed alot of promise, but a player like Hemsky IMO took a huge step back. The only comfort I see is that Hossa and Havlat in Ottawa had a similar second seasons I believe. I guess my point is that we can all agree that the Oilers are thin at 2 different and important positions: In goal and at centre and I don't see anyone down the pipe that's ready anytime soon. I mean, everybody raves about Ninnimaki, how they can't wait for him to come over. The Oilers shocked everybody when they drafted him. Same with Pouliot. These guys may have potential, but that's all they have now and as fans we still have to wait 2-3 years.

The Oilers have always had problems at centre ever since they were looking for a second line centre for weight. Why wasn't this addressed sooner. As for goalie, I really think JDD will be good, but that's still a few years away.

I'm babbling right now, but my point is that even with all the good stuff that happened this year,I'm not as confident about this team right now and for next season than I was at the beginning of the season. Maybe the depleted lineup is impairing my view of this team. I hope so.

Old
02-18-2004, 08:57 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiaoil
Some years a lot of things go right – some years everything goes wrong – this is a year from hell – it happens. What we do have though is one hell of a lot of chips to use in aquiring a couple of key guys - and I expect Lowe to "make it so".

With the guys we have available we should be able to pick up a decent young goalie. Hell the Philly first rounder we got for Comrie should be MORE than enough to pick up a guy like Biron. A Biron - Conks tandem is fine by me until JDD is ready.

That leaves us with Smith/Laraque which I would parlay into a guy like Lang (maybe throw in Horcoff or a 2nd/3rd round pick as well). This deal would give our young guys (Niniimaki and MAP) 2 years to mature. With Smith, Laraque, Oates and Salo off the payroll we CAN afford Lang.

Salo goes to Colorado for the 2nd/3rd round pick we flip to Washington for Lang and we trade Oates along with him for whatever.

As for the PP QB – well I would start using York and Hemsky on the point with the best of our existing dmen. I think that Lynch and Woywitka may eventually be decent on the PP so I would not get carried away spending resources to get another dman right now. We addressed that need in the Comrie trade.

So out the door goes: Smith, Laraque, Salo, Oates, Fergy, Horcoff
In comes: Lang, Biron

Smyth Lang Dvorak
Torres York Isbister/Hemsky
Moreau Reasoner Rita
Chimera Stoll Isbister/Hemsky

Brew Staios
Semi Ulanov
Cross Woywitka/Lynch

Biron / Conks

So we have Smith, Laraque, Salo, Oates, Fergy, Horcoff and a first round draft pick to turn into Lang and Biron – and I think that is way more than enough to accomplish that
If you are Washington, do you trade your best player for a combination of Smith, Laraque, Fergy, Horcoff and a pick?

I sure don't. Firstly, Smith could be making 3+ million next year, and the whole purpose of dealing lang is to save salary. Well you aren't saving a whole lot in this deal. Not only that, but you are getting a 29 year old defenceman, an enforcer you don't need, a defenceman you don't need and a 4th line forward...

Would you trade york for that?

Old
02-18-2004, 02:42 PM
Asiaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
If you are Washington, do you trade your best player for a combination of Smith, Laraque, Fergy, Horcoff and a pick?

I sure don't. Firstly, Smith could be making 3+ million next year, and the whole purpose of dealing lang is to save salary. Well you aren't saving a whole lot in this deal. Not only that, but you are getting a 29 year old defenceman, an enforcer you don't need, a defenceman you don't need and a 4th line forward...

Would you trade york for that?
York is not 34 and is not making $5 million per year – and did you see what Bondra just got traded for? Considering that – Smith alone would be worth Lang because Washington’s defense is simply awful and they desperately need a guy like Smith to lead their young defense and team. Laraque would have value from a marketing perspective rather than in a hockey sense – same as in Edmonton

Old
02-18-2004, 02:57 PM
Master Lok

Excellent thread gentleposters! (i was going to use the term gentlemen, but then realized that I shouldn't be making assumptions.)

To be honest, there's no way that Lang could be gotten for Laraques and Smith. He's in top 3 for points this year and a lot of suitors are interested in Lang. And lastly, he's not a UFA and Washington can still afford his contract now that Jagr is gone. Look at what WAS got for a 36 yo, over-the-hill Bondra: a top young prospect in RW Brooks Laich and 2nd round pick. WAS is looking for younger, cheaper players, not impending RFA and an enforcer!

In regards to Lowe, I don't have a problem with him standing pat. Believe it or not, nobody is going to "give" us a top player. A 36 yo Bondra would probably cost us a top prospect (i.e. not Rita, more like Lynch) and a pick. Lang, who has considerably more points this year (better than a point a game) and is 33 is having a career year. Think Lynch, Torres and a pick. Are you willing to give that up to get a guy who can help us make the playoffs? I'm MOST SURE NOT. With the injuries to Philly, THERE IS NO WAY THAT HANDZUS IS AVAILABLE. Lowe is probably shopping but can't find a buyer for what he's selling. What do you think we're selling here? Most posters name Laraques, Horcoff, Chimera, Cross, Salo, Pisani. 3rd/4th liners. A goalie that makes $4 million and lost his starting job. The top enforcer in the league who doesn't have a mean streak. This isn't going to get us Lecavalier, or Spezza or Lang or even Biron.

The most valued commodities on the Oilers are also the most protected: Hemsky, Torres, York, Semenov, Brewer, Moreau, Smyth. I'm not willing to give up any of the first five players. Moreau and Smyth I might be willing to give up on a big overpay. Brewer? I have to admit, I like this guy - 24 yo dman who is CURRENTLY our #1/2 defender? we don't have anyone else who fills that role. Lynch and Woywitka are years away, and I'm haven't heard any assessments that would put them in that role either, more like good top 4 defenders, but not a #1 defender.

My suggestion to KLowe? If hockey is on for next year, we still don't have anyone to jump in as the #1 goalie (I'm not yet a believer in Conklin) or as the #1/2 centreman. We need to fill these holes either now or at the deadline. Always take a look at the LONG TERM.

Problem is that NHL ready young goalies may be expensive. Just because Kiprusoff was picked up for a 2nd round draft pick, doesn't mean that Manny Fernandez or Martin Biron would be. Kiprusoff became the THIRD goalie in the SJ organization. Fernandez and Biron are at worst, #2 in their respective organizations. They are affordable, have NHL experience, are relatively young and a number of other organizations are probably in competition for them. Don't you think NYR has also been looking and offering for Fernandez? Because they have relatively inexpensive contracts, Minnesota and Buffalo can very easily afford to keep them.

Prusek, Nittymaki, Ouellet may be cheaper (trade value wise) but riskier options.

1. Trade Horcoff or Oates + Corey Cross (veteran dman) for Niittymaki.
Why? Niittymaki is 3rd behind Burke and Esche. I don't see him getting a chance at breaking the top duo for at least 1-2 years and might be had for cheaper than expected.

Philly looks to be in trouble at centre with both roenick and primeau out, think they want Oates? Or maybe Horcoff? In their desperate situation, they just might. I think Horcoff is ideally suited to Philly where they already have excellent top line guys in Roenick, Primeau and Handzus. But might be interested in a young 3/4 centreman who can PK and provide depth. With Claude Lapointe's off-ice problems, Horcoff might well be of interest to Philly.

2. Washington is trying to get younger and cheaper but their wingers is pretty weak. They also have a plethora of young goaltenders behind Kolzig: Stana, Ouellet, Charpentier.

Would J. Chimera + pick for M. Ouellet be enough?

3. Who doesn't want a rock steady, gritty dman like J. Smith? I think he might be the prize that a Stanley cup champion team might very well be interested in putting them over the top. Could we get a young centreman for him? Would Vermette be available for J. Smith? Enough for Rupp and Ahonen? Antropov for Smith?

Old
02-18-2004, 08:25 PM
windowlicker

One thing Ill add is, by standing by and doing nothing, Lowe is sending a very clear message to his players: "Reinforcements are Not coming. You are it. Now go out there and do it." Hes also saying to the fans "I have put my full faith in this bunch, and Im gonna stick with them, no matter what happens". Thats loyalty, but weve also seen where this mix of players has gotten us this season. Lowe continues to sit on his hands, while other teams keep picking up more points and stacking players for a run. Some would say....."Dont make a rash trade,...dont jeopardize the future..."
What future?? How long have we been living in the future??? Im sick of it. Get it done. You listen to a good offer for Brewer? Keep listening. Someone wants to overpay for Smyth? Let them. Jason Smith is the captain and Finally playing to his full potential? Use that and get the best possible value for him. I will not sit by and enjoy the rest of this season the way NYR, CHI, CBJ, or PIT fans do.

Old
02-18-2004, 08:36 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

vCash: 730
the way i look at the future is, well i dont have much hope for the immediate future. without a goaltender or a centerman, or a good coach for that matter i guess we better get used to the fact this team is not going to make the playoffs for the next couple of years. too much talent has left since the year 2000 and now the holes they filled are starting to show. yes we do have some good prospects but i will not be convinced until i see them play and it could take a couple of years until these prospects make a significant contribution to this team. in the interim the cupboard is bare, not a hot tamale in the bunch.

Closed Thread