HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Edmonton Oilers: Wait and See at 2C

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-01-2014, 12:54 PM
  #26
CupofOil
Registered User
 
CupofOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rock Bottom
Country: United States
Posts: 13,712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Positive View Post
This is totally false. There are outside bloggers who have used facts that prove that Arcobello did a great job as a top six center last season. There are many average fans that acknowledge that Arcobello isn't ideal but also that he's deserved another shot because of his solid grity two way game last season.

It seems 90% of this board thinks Arcobello is a career AHLer, and ignore all the good things he did. They only remember how he looked when he was playing with Gazdic
What facts were laid out by these bloggers that did a great job as a #2C, great job? REALLY?
I would love to be wrong but I just don't see how anybody can think that he's any sort of solution as a #2C. Saying that he deserves another shot is basically acknowledging that this is yet another development year since it's going to be another year of "auditions". I thought that the Oilers would be past that mentality by now.

What I saw with Arco was a tiny player with average speed who had some lucky assists that inflated his point totals, who made a few nice defensive plays and threw some hits that inflated his hits stat but barely had any affect on the opposing player.
It's a nice story and all and I certainly wouldn't mind him as a depth centerman who can jump up the lineup in a pinch for a few games but the fact that he's a leading candidate for the full time #2C spot shows just how dire the center situation is.

It's not a case of "it's not the ideal situation". This is beyond "not ideal", it's a downright black hole at center when you're depending on an NHL/AHL tweener and a rookie who IMO isn't NHL ready to be your fulltime #2 and #3 centers. This is a healthy roster, can you imagine if there's even one injury? Hoo Boy.

I'm actually surprised that MacT let it come to this especially after the disaster that was the center position going into last season. At least Arco was the backup plan last season, he's actually the primary plan this season. It's beyond comprehension that an NHL GM wouldn't have addressed this problem by now, he has had 2 offseasons to do so and if anything, has downgraded since at least Gagner has proven to be capable of scoring at a top 6 level for several years.


Last edited by CupofOil: 08-01-2014 at 01:01 PM.
CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2014, 01:02 PM
  #27
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
What facts were laid out by these bloggers that did a great job as a #2C, great job? REALLY?
I would love to be wrong but I just don't see how anybody can think that he's any sort of solution as a #2C. Saying that he deserves another shot is basically acknowledging that this is yet another development year since it's going to be another year of "auditions". I thought that the Oilers would be past that mentality by now.

What I saw with Arco was a tiny player with average speed who had some lucky assists that inflated his point totals, who made a few nice defensive plays and threw some hits that inflated his hits stat but barely had any affect on the opposing player.
It's a nice story and all and I certainly wouldn't mind him as a depth centerman who can jump up the lineup in a pinch for a few games but the fact that he's a leading candidate for the full time #2C spot shows just how dire the center situation is.

It's not a case of "it's not the ideal situation". This is beyond "not ideal", it's a downright black hole at center when you're depending on an NHL/AHL tweener and a rookie who IMO isn't NHL ready to be your fulltime #2 and #3 centers. This is a healthy roster, can you imagine if there's even one injury? Hoo Boy.

I'm actually surprised that MacT let it come to this especially after the disaster that was the center position going into last season.
I'm not at all surprised and called it when Gagner was traded. So did several other posters here.

Worst fears confirmed as it were.

What a laugh a minute OP. Yet another in a series of "hfboards partners classics"

Its bad enough that we have to watch this team on the ice get owned. But to read such abject nonsense every year every summer is salt in wound. A year or two ago such board partners were repeatedly telling us how good Dubnyk was.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2014, 01:06 PM
  #28
CupofOil
Registered User
 
CupofOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rock Bottom
Country: United States
Posts: 13,712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I'm not at all surprised and called it when Gagner was traded. So did several other posters here.

Worst fears confirmed as it were.

What a laugh a minute OP. Yet another in a series of "hfboards partners classics"
I was all for Gagner being traded for several years now but that was contingent on there being a viable backup plan in place.

MacT essentially took the worst center depth in the league and somehow made it worse. Gagner at least brings some sort of proven scoring ability to the top 6. Arcobello? Who the hell knows? Maybe, maybe not? Yet another question mark added. A career AHLer and a rookie. Kill me now.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2014, 01:06 PM
  #29
Aerchon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,534
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Really?

Calling somebody out on falsehood and then responding with the same?

I suggest your definition of facts and proof needs reworking. Or anybody else stating such limited game sample as facts or proof. Statistically the sample is insufficient to be able to make statistically valid conclusion. That is the fact. At this point there is no other.

Whether Arco sinks or swims as a topsix NHLer is unknown. I sure wouldn't bank on him being one.
Mac T is banking on it and while I do not have blind faith in him I do think he is much more knowledgeable than 99% of this community. Small sample size as it is Arco has succeeded admirably in filling the #2 center role already.

I hope you don't expect me to go get any of the articles that state Arco had stellar numbers for his stint in our top 6 last year. They are out there, and they are pretty convincing that this guy deserves a shot to be a full time top 6 forward.

We have three potential centers fighting over 2 spots. Even if we did trade/sign for another center Arco is the odds on favorite to make the team based on his numbers to date. Maybe he would be the number 3 center instead of the number 2 but the point is that this guy can play NHL hockey at the center position.

Most people outside of our fan base have never heard of Arco or know what he did for us during his time as a top 6 forward. Even some people in the fan base seem to be completely ignoring the success he has had as well.

If Arco was 6' 190 lbs even I would bet every person inside and outside the organization would be preaching his calibre with what he has accomplished to date. 2 points per game in the AHL is nothing to sneeze at. 50% face offs in his rookie year in the NHL is outstanding. Corsi numbers solid. Point production solid. Two way game solid. Finishes his checks to keep his man out of the play a sweet refreshing thing to see an Oiler doing consistently.

The only real knock on this guy is his size. A legit concern, but one he has obviously overcome at every level of hockey including the NHL so far.

Aerchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2014, 01:08 PM
  #30
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerchon View Post
Mac T is banking on it and while I do not have blind faith in him I do think he is much more knowledgeable than 99% of this community. Small sample size as it is Arco has succeeded admirably in filling the #2 center role already.

I hope you don't expect me to go get any of the articles that state Arco had stellar numbers for his stint in our top 6 last year. They are out there, and they are pretty convincing that this guy deserves a shot to be a full time top 6 forward.

We have three potential centers fighting over 2 spots. Even if we did trade/sign for another center Arco is the odds on favorite to make the team based on his numbers to date. Maybe he would be the number 3 center instead of the number 2 but the point is that this guy can play NHL hockey at the center position.

Most people outside of our fan base have never heard of Arco or know what he did for us during his time as a top 6 forward. Even some people in the fan base seem to be completely ignoring the success he has had as well.

If Arco was 6' 190 lbs even I would bet every person inside and outside the organization would be preaching his calibre with what he has accomplished to date. 2 points per game in the AHL is nothing to sneeze at. 50% face offs in his rookie year in the NHL is outstanding. Corsi numbers solid. Point production solid. Two way game solid. Finishes his checks to keep his man out of the play a sweet refreshing thing to see an Oiler doing consistently.

The only real knock on this guy is his size. A legit concern, but one he has obviously overcome at every level of hockey including the NHL so far.
Convincing articles?

No, I don't expect you to cite those because they would mean nothing.

As I stated limited game sample is limited game sample. Conclusions cannot be drawn from such limited sample. Anybody doing so is engaging in hope and dreams more than factual reporting as evidenced by how little *convincing* is seemingly required.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2014, 01:10 PM
  #31
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
I was all for Gagner being traded for several years now but that was contingent on there being a viable backup plan in place.

MacT essentially took the worst center depth in the league and somehow made it worse. Gagner at least brings some sort of proven scoring ability to the top 6. Arcobello? Who the hell knows? Maybe, maybe not? Yet another question mark added. A career AHLer and a rookie. Kill me now.
This, so many times.

Looks like we're going to be agreeing a whole lot going forward.

Personally I welcome it.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2014, 01:12 PM
  #32
CupofOil
Registered User
 
CupofOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rock Bottom
Country: United States
Posts: 13,712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
This, so many times.

Looks like we're going to be agreeing a whole lot going forward.

Personally I welcome it.
A sure sign that the apocalypse is upon us. Thank goodness that "The Walking Dead" has given us some tips in how to survive an apocalypse.
Well, we have survived watching "The Skating Dead" with the Oilers so we're well versed.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2014, 01:14 PM
  #33
Aerchon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,534
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
I was all for Gagner being traded for several years now but that was contingent on there being a viable backup plan in place.

MacT essentially took the worst center depth in the league and somehow made it worse. Gagner at least brings some sort of proven scoring ability to the top 6. Arcobello? Who the hell knows? Maybe, maybe not? Yet another question mark added.
Gagner had 7 years to improve as a center in the league and failed miserably, as a center. Gagner no longer being a centerman on our team is clearly addition by subtraction no matter what. All the numbers support this. Mac T finally gave up on him succeeding as a center and publicly stated Gagner would be moved to the wing. Gagner sucking at center is common knowledge to all fan bases across the NHL. I have never heard a single objectionable point of view praise Gagner for his work as a centerman. Exactly the opposite. His 2 way game has always been called into question but everyone figured he would just eventually improve, myself included. His trade value has never been high. Chicago is the only team I have ever even rumors about wanting Gagner and that is because of his time with Kane.

Arco as a center is a much better player.

Arco's play making is equal to or better than Gagner.

The only area Gagner is not seriously outclassed by Arco (small sample size as it is) is his shooting and dangling. Aka goal scoring.

A concern that Arco's offense will not transfer over to the NHL is certainly there but from everything I have seen it is more than even odds that will come with NHL experience.

Aerchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2014, 01:22 PM
  #34
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerchon View Post
Gagner had 7 years to improve as a center in the league and failed miserably, as a center. Gagner no longer being a centerman on our team is clearly addition by subtraction no matter what. All the numbers support this. Mac T finally gave up on him succeeding as a center and publicly stated Gagner would be moved to the wing. Gagner sucking at center is common knowledge to all fan bases across the NHL. I have never heard a single objectionable point of view praise Gagner for his work as a centerman. Exactly the opposite. His 2 way game has always been called into question but everyone figured he would just eventually improve, myself included. His trade value has never been high. Chicago is the only team I have ever even rumors about wanting Gagner and that is because of his time with Kane.

Arco as a center is a much better player.

Arco's play making is equal to or better than Gagner.

The only area Gagner is not seriously outclassed by Arco (small sample size as it is) is his shooting and dangling. Aka goal scoring.

A concern that Arco's offense will not transfer over to the NHL is certainly there but from everything I have seen it is more than even odds that will come with NHL experience.
You're building illusion here and unfortunately you're going to be disappointed.

The reality here is an incumbent NHL topsix Center is gone and with vacated position being auditioned by a longterm career AHL player.

Guess what proportion of times something like that would work out, and in the WC at that.

Oiler fans with any longterm background whatsoever should have ample precedent in which to determine how usefull such fill recruitments have been.

Long as the org continue to persist in simply engaging fill in critical positions this club won't compete.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2014, 01:22 PM
  #35
CupofOil
Registered User
 
CupofOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rock Bottom
Country: United States
Posts: 13,712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerchon View Post
Gagner had 7 years to improve as a center in the league and failed miserably, as a center. Gagner no longer being a centerman on our team is clearly addition by subtraction no matter what. All the numbers support this. Mac T finally gave up on him succeeding as a center and publicly stated Gagner would be moved to the wing. Gagner sucking at center is common knowledge to all fan bases across the NHL. I have never heard a single objectionable point of view praise Gagner for his work as a centerman. Exactly the opposite. His 2 way game has always been called into question but everyone figured he would just eventually improve, myself included. His trade value has never been high. Chicago is the only team I have ever even rumors about wanting Gagner and that is because of his time with Kane.

Arco as a center is a much better player.

Arco's play making is equal to or better than Gagner.

The only area Gagner is not seriously outclassed by Arco (small sample size as it is) is his shooting and dangling. Aka goal scoring.

A concern that Arco's offense will not transfer over to the NHL is certainly there but from everything I have seen it is more than even odds that will come with NHL experience.
Arco hasn't proven a darn thing at the NHL level. You're basing this off of a decent 10 game sample size, lets not get silly here.

I'm well aware of Gagner's shortcomings, have been preaching about him not being an ideal center for this team for years but that doesn't change the fact that he is a PROVEN NHL scorer whereas Arcobello is a proven AHL scorer who had a few decent NHL games. Maybe he proves to be worthy, maybe not. But it is what it is, a MAYBE.

It's like those of you who call Marincin a bonifide top 4 NHL Dman. At least in Marincin's case, it's a larger sample size against tougher competition and he has plenty of room for growth, NHL size and skills etc.

With Arco, there are still tons of question marks. The guy has heart, i'll give him that, but he's not going to grow 3-4 inches overnight and he's not going to be an above average skater overnight. With him being at prime age now, chances are that he is what he is at this point.

Other small guys around the league have skillsets that are conducive to success at the NHL level, Arco does not. He's going to have to overcome more than just a lack of size to be considered a legit #2C in this league and MacT is a fool if he thinks that Arco is any sort of solution as a fulltime top 6 player.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2014, 02:13 PM
  #36
Aerchon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,534
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Arco hasn't proven a darn thing at the NHL level. You're basing this off of a decent 10 game sample size, lets not get silly here.

I'm well aware of Gagner's shortcomings, have been preaching about him not being an ideal center for this team for years but that doesn't change the fact that he is a PROVEN NHL scorer whereas Arcobello is a proven AHL scorer who had a few decent NHL games. Maybe he proves to be worthy, maybe not. But it is what it is, a MAYBE.

It's like those of you who call Marincin a bonifide top 4 NHL Dman. At least in Marincin's case, it's a larger sample size against tougher competition and he has plenty of room for growth, NHL size and skills etc.

With Arco, there are still tons of question marks. The guy has heart, i'll give him that, but he's not going to grow 3-4 inches overnight and he's not going to be an above average skater overnight. With him being at prime age now, chances are that he is what he is at this point.

Other small guys around the league have skillsets that are conducive to success at the NHL level, Arco does not. He's going to have to overcome more than just a lack of size to be considered a legit #2C in this league and MacT is a fool if he thinks that Arco is any sort of solution as a fulltime top 6 player.
I am a big Marincin fan and his numbers do support that he is worthy of top competition/ice time. Doesn't mean he won't regress but for his small time spent he already has accomplished that. Same with Arco, small sample size but a successful one.

No one knows what will happen next year but you have to base your assumptions on something.

7 years of fail is worse in my mind than 10-20-40 games of success. And yes I know Gagner had some decent hockey in there but realitvely speaking we have never seen his center game even remotely as good as arcos small sample size.

Aerchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2014, 02:20 PM
  #37
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerchon View Post
I am a big Marincin fan and his numbers do support that he is worthy of top competition/ice time. Doesn't mean he won't regress but for his small time spent he already has accomplished that. Same with Arco, small sample size but a successful one.

No one knows what will happen next year but you have to base your assumptions on something.
7 years of fail is worse in my mind than 10-20-40 games of success. And yes I know Gagner had some decent hockey in there but realitvely speaking we have never seen his center game even remotely as good as arcos small sample size.
Sorry to single you out but this is one of the more interesting statements I've seen in some time.

The other option is not to make assumption on limited sample return.

Indeed for the Oilers its a chronic losers game doing so.

ps the next point you make about 7years sample being worse demonstration in your mind is even worse.

The simplest logical deduction that can be made is that a career NHL starting Center for 7yrs that earned such incumbency at age 18 and maintained it is a better player than some career AHLer, multiple years older, that hasn't had anything more than a cup of coffee at this level.

You've somehow deduced the opposite, that its better to have the career Ahler.. An assertion that defies reason.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2014, 02:56 PM
  #38
Mr Positive
Registered User
 
Mr Positive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 2,594
vCash: 1048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Really?

Calling somebody out on falsehood and then responding with the same?

I suggest your definition of facts and proof needs reworking. Or anybody else stating such limited game sample as facts or proof. Statistically the sample is insufficient to be able to make statistically valid conclusion. That is the fact. At this point there is no other.

Whether Arco sinks or swims as a topsix NHLer is unknown. I sure wouldn't bank on him being one.
You know, just because I don't post a link doesn't mean that I'm lying, so you can tone down that rhetoric you love so much. Truth is that I was just busy this morning and couldn't recall that information off hand. It was posted on this site before, by someone other than myself. Just for you though, I did take some time to dig it out:

http://lowetide.ca/blog/2014/07/arco...y-woodguy.html

That's just the one I like best. His conclusion is that Arcobello can fill in as a 2C but doesn't have the resume to be our long term option at 2C. That is nothing more than what pro-Arcobello fans are saying. If you dig yourself, you can find many other articles and they generally echo this sentiment, but of course it varies depending on opinion.

You talk about sample size, and yet you seem to be more than willing to dismiss Arcobello based on a small sample size. Where's your proof that Arco can't handle it? I thought NHL teams generally gave intriguing young NHL centers like Arco a shot. He's the right age. He had a cup of tea with the team and did well.

At the very least, it seems insane to me that so many would be happy to play Derek Roy, a player clearly in decline, instead of Arcobello who is young enough to still have potential to improve. We're also so eager to overpay for Berglund, who doesn't win faceoffs, plays with very little grit, and was practically a winger last season.

Mr Positive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2014, 03:05 PM
  #39
TheBrew
Registered User
 
TheBrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,900
vCash: 540
The season doesn't start for 2 months so i'm not going to get overly worried until then. I still think the Oilers will grab a number 2/3 centreman sometime during camp. Arcobello is here in case Draisaitl is not ready.

TheBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2014, 03:34 PM
  #40
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Positive View Post
You know, just because I don't post a link doesn't mean that I'm lying, so you can tone down that rhetoric you love so much. Truth is that I was just busy this morning and couldn't recall that information off hand. It was posted on this site before, by someone other than myself. Just for you though, I did take some time to dig it out:

http://lowetide.ca/blog/2014/07/arco...y-woodguy.html

That's just the one I like best. His conclusion is that Arcobello can fill in as a 2C but doesn't have the resume to be our long term option at 2C. That is nothing more than what pro-Arcobello fans are saying. If you dig yourself, you can find many other articles and they generally echo this sentiment, but of course it varies depending on opinion.

You talk about sample size, and yet you seem to be more than willing to dismiss Arcobello based on a small sample size. Where's your proof that Arco can't handle it? I thought NHL teams generally gave intriguing young NHL centers like Arco a shot. He's the right age. He had a cup of tea with the team and did well.

At the very least, it seems insane to me that so many would be happy to play Derek Roy, a player clearly in decline, instead of Arcobello who is young enough to still have potential to improve. We're also so eager to overpay for Berglund, who doesn't win faceoffs, plays with very little grit, and was practically a winger last season.
Sorry to see Lowetide so imbued in advanced stats statistical nonsense in his current posting.

Never stated you lied, I stated there wasn't any proof Arco can play NHL topisix. . there still isn't.
Anyway falsely alluding to "facts and proof" that clearly isn't, is rhetoric. Challenging the same is just that. If you don't want the challenge don't make the unfounded assertions of facts.

I would wonder as well why you think a 26yr old Career AHL center toiling for the weakest NHL team in the league is the answer given he hasn't been able to crack the sorry NHL lineup.

I doubt that the burden of proof on whether Arco is a legit topsix center in the NHL resides with the assertion that he isn't. To claim that he is to the contrary of anything that has taken place requires some proof. Which hasn't been forthcoming.

Arco as topsix NHL center is faith based. Nothing more.

people that liked Arco last year will suggest that, despite the results, despite the career, despite the player shortcomings.


Last edited by Replacement: 08-01-2014 at 03:45 PM.
Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2014, 04:05 PM
  #41
Mr Positive
Registered User
 
Mr Positive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 2,594
vCash: 1048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Sorry to see Lowetide so imbued in advanced stats statistical nonsense in his current posting.

Never stated you lied, I stated there wasn't any proof Arco can play NHL topisix. . there still isn't.
Anyway falsely alluding to "facts and proof" that clearly isn't, is rhetoric. Challenging the same is just that. If you don't want the challenge don't make the unfounded assertions of facts.

I would wonder as well why you think a 26yr old Career AHL center toiling for the weakest NHL team in the league is the answer given he hasn't been able to crack the sorry NHL lineup.

I doubt that the burden of proof on whether Arco is a legit topsix center in the NHL resides with the assertion that he isn't. To claim that he is to the contrary of anything that has taken place requires some proof. Which hasn't been forthcoming.

Arco as topsix NHL center is faith based. Nothing more.

people that liked Arco last year will suggest that, despite the results, despite the career, despite the player shortcomings.
You said that it was false that a blogger used facts to prove that Arcobello did great in a top six role. I never said a word about the nature of the proof or how extensive it was so you can stop pretending I was.

So according to you advanced stats don't count? What gives you authority to decide this? Besides, Arco's surface stats were great apart from goal scoring.

Why do you say that a new 25 year old player should never get a chance to play in the NHL? This part is puzzling to me, as if there is an age cutoff where you might as well not try. Apparently he requires a burden of proof? Matt Read was a calder candidate at 25 years old. Arcobello is a career AHLer but that doesn't mean it will always be this way. You are right that the sample size on Arcobello is limited but the info we do have is very encouraging. That's all I was ever saying.

Mr Positive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2014, 04:14 PM
  #42
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Positive View Post
You said that it was false that a blogger used facts to prove that Arcobello did great in a top six role. I never said a word about the nature of the proof or how extensive it was so you can stop pretending I was.

So according to you advanced stats don't count? What gives you authority to decide this? Besides, Arco's surface stats were great apart from goal scoring.

Why do you say that a new 25 year old player should never get a chance to play in the NHL? This part is puzzling to me, as if there is an age cutoff where you might as well not try. Apparently he requires a burden of proof? Matt Read was a calder candidate at 25 years old. Arcobello is a career AHLer but that doesn't mean it will always be this way. You are right that the sample size on Arcobello is limited but the info we do have is very encouraging. That's all I was ever saying.
I stated it was false to suggest that there were "facts" about Arcs topsix NHL suitability given the dearth of the same, or wild suggestion that he had been "great" in said capacity. Those are patently false claims to make.

I have no idea how you have misinterpreted this.

"surface stats" lol

More glossy sounding stuff every other day.

Don't get duped into whatever you read.

Check back a year later whether fancy stats or commonsense had the right answer.


Last edited by Replacement: 08-01-2014 at 04:21 PM.
Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2014, 04:31 PM
  #43
Mr Positive
Registered User
 
Mr Positive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 2,594
vCash: 1048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I stated it was false to suggest that there were "facts" about Arcs topsix NHL suitability given the dearth of the same. or suggestion that he had been "great" in said capacity. Those are patently false claims to make.

I have no idea how you have misinterpreted this.

"surface stats" lol

More glossy sounding stuff every other day.

Don't get duped into whatever you read.

Check back a year later whether fancy stats or commonsense had the right answer.
The exact wording of that blog post I linked to was that Arcobello was "killing it" in his first 14 games of the season. I was not posting in response to someone who said that Arco wasn't 2C material either. I was responding to someone who said that no one outside of this forum thought Arco could cut it in a top six role. Clearly this guy is both outside this forum and saying that Arco can play in the top six. So you were absolutely off base in calling what I posted false, but I see now that it was probably a misunderstanding.

I also agree that you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet, but it seems just about every pundit out there sees value in Arcobello even if they don't think he's a good option long term as a top six player. I also don't see why I shouldn't believe this particular blogger but I should just take your word on this. At least this guy wanted to look past his gut impressions by digging up data.

My opinion has always been that there is definitely a "grass in greener" attitude on this forum. A guy like O'Reilly is clearly better than Arco for us. I'm just growing skeptical that outsiders like Roy, Mueller or even Bailey are truly better.

Mr Positive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2014, 04:39 PM
  #44
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Positive View Post
The exact wording of that blog post I linked to was that Arcobello was "killing it" in his first 14 games of the season. I was not posting in response to someone who said that Arco wasn't 2C material either. I was responding to someone who said that no one outside of this forum thought Arco could cut it in a top six role. Clearly this guy is both outside this forum and saying that Arco can play in the top six. So you were absolutely off base in calling what I posted false, but I see now that it was probably a misunderstanding.

.
Thanks, I think it possible we both misinterpreted each others posts. My own pet peeve being the statement of facts and in relation specifically to advanced stats and especially limited sample basings of advanced stats.

We won't ever agree on the value or validity of advanced stats and that's a whole other topic.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2014, 05:28 PM
  #45
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings
 
Psycho Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sherwood Park
Posts: 10,434
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Thanks, I think it possible we both misinterpreted each others posts. My own pet peeve being the statement of facts and in relation specifically to advanced stats and especially limited sample basings of advanced stats.

We won't ever agree on the value or validity of advanced stats and that's a whole other topic.
I have an issue with people who use muddy stats like corsi to conclude that since players played better with Arcobello than without him in the first 14 games, that means he can hack it as a 2C.

Given a choice between a "fish out of water" LW Hall, Arcobello, a hard minutes Gordon, or Acton (lol), who might you play better with?

Or, not even play better with, but get more floaty shots on net while you're down 2 goals and your opponent is cruising to another easy win? Let's ignore the fact that Arcobello didn't score a single goal in those dominant first 14 games, or that Eberle carried him in a nice picnic basket most of the way. Those 10 assists remind me one hell of a lot of Gagner (assist leech), yet with praise from HF Oil instead of loathing.

Mindblowing. If Gagner wore 26 when he came back after injury, he might still be starting the season at 2C. Who is that scrappy young mid-20s upstart? I like him!

I can't understand how some guy spent several HOURS with a bunch of stats and homemade parameters to prove Arcobello's worth, while disregarding the team's situation entirely. Seriously.

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2014, 05:53 PM
  #46
Dazed and Confused
Registered User
 
Dazed and Confused's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,350
vCash: 500
I wonder if breaking up the top line should be considered. I'm not saying Hall or Eberle to centre, but rather using them cover for a weaker centre

Hall-Arcobello-Perron
Pouliot-RNH-Eberle
Yakupov-Lander-Purcell
Hendricks-Gordon-Joensuu

It's not perfect, but it helps balence the lineup.

Draisaitl isn't rushed, the top 2 lines are fairly balanced, and Lander on the 3rd line should make it defensively passable, especially in a easier minutes situation.

Dazed and Confused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2014, 05:57 PM
  #47
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire
 
BoldNewLettuce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,643
vCash: 157
I hope Arco turns into an American (tougher) St. Louis with faceoffs.....

Really....he might be the best option if he can take a step forward...

BoldNewLettuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2014, 06:29 PM
  #48
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.
 
Dorian2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,636
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Convincing articles?

No, I don't expect you to cite those because they would mean nothing.

As I stated limited game sample is limited game sample. Conclusions cannot be drawn from such limited sample. Anybody doing so is engaging in hope and dreams more than factual reporting as evidenced by how little *convincing* is seemingly required.
Limited samples work both ways Replacement.

You yourself are basing Arco's possibility as a half decent #2C failure on very small sample sizes.

Personally I saw some really good stuff from him in both the 2C role and the 4C role...not so much the second one. I believe that his playmaking abilities are fairly outstanding, and there are a number of players in the top six that will benefit. It's also a nice factoid that he seems to like to hit a hell of a lot. Unfortunately his size doesn't help him out there....especially against teams in the Western Conference.

I think he may turn out to be a pretty damned good bandage solution for the time being, until MacT can get his ducks in order.

Damned ducks are quacking up a storm and MacT seems to be hog tied at the moment for some reason.

EeeeIiiiiiEeeeIiiiiiYo

Dorian2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2014, 06:45 PM
  #49
skorf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 302
vCash: 500
if/when Nuge suffers his yearly injury... our C depth will be even scarier.

#1C will it be Arcobello? Draistl? Gordon?

skorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2014, 06:50 PM
  #50
Soundwave
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 24,233
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by skorf View Post
if/when Nuge suffers his yearly injury... our C depth will be even scarier.

#1C will it be Arcobello? Draistl? Gordon?
All aboard the McDavid express if that happens. Though RNH played in 80 of 82 games last year and 40 of 48 the year prior, so he's played in 92% of the games of the last two years.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:32 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.